Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Diana 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

Diana 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Diana
Diana

Quote:
Diana is a 2013 biographical drama film, directed by Oliver Hirschbiegel, about the last two years of the life of Diana, Princess of Wales.

The screenplay is based on Kate Snell's 2001 book Diana: Her Last Love, and was written by Stephen Jeffreys. Robert Bernstein and Douglas Rae are the producers of the movie for Ecosse Films. British-Australian actress Naomi Watts plays the title role of Diana.

Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:12 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Not a bad film, but not really a great one either. Naomi Watts gave a respectable performance, but she doesn't really look like Diana. She looks more like Jill Dando (another British blonde that died young around the same time as Diana). I felt the film is just utterly unneeded. It felt rather intrusive and personal. I think many people would probably prefer it if their princess was left as an icon in their minds. Instead, Watts utters "fuck" a few times and has sex with a dirty Pakistani. This ruins the pedestal image we've created of her. The film is ok, but it's not needed and it's not especially moving.

I'm not sure if everything that happened in the movie is true either. Like, did she orchestrate the press to take photos of her on Dodi's yacht? Did she sneak a dirty Paki into her palace at nights? Did she sleep with him so quickly like a slut? It's just a lot to believe. I also disliked how the film didn't show Charles or anything controversial. It doesn't even show the crash.

I must say one thing, though...it's shot really nicely. Beautiful cinematography. Some good moving scenes with music too (but they are short).

C+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:13 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Diana
I was once really excited for this and I love Watts, but I'm getting serious Amelia vibes based on the early reviews. Sounds like kind of a mess.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:13 pm
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

So Algren doesn't like women and the people of Pakistan - - I wonder how long the list actually is?

Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:04 pm
now we know

So Bradley makes huge assumptions based on very little evidence. I wonder how small his brain really is?

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:09 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

I too was once interested due to Watts but I have no interest in it anymore. Sounds terrible.

Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:12 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I can't get over the fact that she really has dialogue such as "I've been a bad bitch" or something like that in this movie. How embarrassing.

Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:18 pm
Profile YIM
now we know

Yes, it does ruin the iconic status that she's achieved since death. There were not too many people in my screening, and my screening was a over-60 screening (and for this type of picture, that would normally be PACKED to the rafters). I think people are not over Diana yet for a film to be made of her, at least in the UK it is too soon. Perhaps elsewhere it could do well.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:39 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]