Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Now You See Me 

What grade would you give this film?
A 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 6 ]
C 40%  40%  [ 6 ]
D 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 15

Now You See Me 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Now You See Me
Now You See Me

Quote:
Now You See Me is an upcoming 2013 French-American caper film directed by Louis Leterrier. It is scheduled to be released on May 31, 2013.

An FBI agent and an Interpol detective track a team of illusionists who pull off bank heists during their performances and reward their audiences with the money.

Thu May 30, 2013 4:41 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: Now You See Me
NOW YOU SEE ME

I liked the cast and the magicians and sleight of hand. Harrelson is absolutely funny. Jesse is channeling every character he's ever done and the overall cast was good. I liked the plot and the magic sequences that took place as the film progressed. There is a bit at the end that I wasn't too big a fan of but overall it was a decent magic caper inspired film. I think I'll check this one out again over the weekend.

Grade - B

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Thu May 30, 2013 8:40 pm
Pure Phase

This is a frustrating film because it features several legitimate charms and qualities, including an ace cast and a playful high concept (a high-tech, three-part caper staged by a team of magicians) in a season long on revisions and sequels, yet it is also misguided and too long, its second half serving to undermine and then evaporate in full the excitement and pleasure generated by the first. When a popcorn film such as this focuses on plot twists and secret identities, there is, I believe, an inherent promise: in the end, the pieces will come together in a satisfying way, and the audience will smile as we recognize the misdirection. Here, though, as absurdities multiply (including the introduction of a secret magical society known as the Eye), the sensation is closer to feeling cheated than amazed: the final answer to the plot is mediocre, almost cringe inducing. The film also begins to emphasize loud, rote action, including an interminable and violent car chase, over character, which is a shame considering the prestigious cast on hand (at a certain point, Michael Caine vanishes without a trace).

C

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri May 31, 2013 10:38 pm
Extraordinary

I pretty much agree with David. It's a silly movie that doesn't have the awe it wants to.

I will say that I didn't guess who was the 5th member correctly, although it should've been obvious... Though when revealed I was more annoyed than surprised. And for a film that heavily markets the '4 Horsemen', it kind of feels like they barely get the screentime you would expect.

(spoiler I guess) but the part in the end where they all walk towards the carousel l o l what the hell was that? And what was up with the black woman getting 50k at the New Orleans show while the white woman gets 200k+? just wow.

Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:12 am
Pure Phase

Yes, the Four Horsemen are very thinly drawn characters. By the end, we have learned almost nothing regarding their lives and motivations we could not tell from the Ocean's style assemble-the-team opening.

The carousel scene is so strange. ;) I almost felt embarrassed for the actors. "WELCOME...TO THE EYE! Care for a ride on my magical mystery carousel?"

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:24 am
Sbil

Slickly made and pretty darn entertaining. Nothing makes sense if you think about it for more than 2 seconds, but...y'know, magic. And stuff. B

Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:40 pm
Pure Phase

Oh, one more jab at this movie: it would have been nice to have at least one scene of magic not featuring conspicuous computer-generated enhancement. Even the opening card gag climaxes with CGI.

Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:53 pm
Killing With Kindness

BJs Grade.......

B

Fun film, good pass time, a bit stupid but the charm makes up.

Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:13 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

I really enjoy magic, and this was no different. I loved the cast and thought they played off of each other really well. And I liked how it didn't have too many storylines at the same time. It was focused on the magic/heists. Not enough Dave Franco, though.

B+

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:17 am
You must have big rats

I REALLY REALLY enjoyed the flm. The first hour was such a BLAST. The second lags a bit and the final 15 minutes are...well...they are what they are. Once you start looking more into it, the whole thing falls apart. But I cant help that I was immensely entertained and loved all the actors.

However, I do have one question:

I understand the three "robberies" they did, yes. But isn't it a bit harsh that Morgan Freeman's character was punished just for de-masking a magician and not just punished, but framed to spend years and years behind bars?

Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:25 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Meh. I suppose. He was kind of a dick, though.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:26 pm
You must have big rats

But this is probably life imprisonment because e debunked the tricks and Ruffalo's father decided to do the dangerous trick.

Also, how did Ruffalo know the steel of the safe was bad if the boy (and thus, I assume, the safe) have never been found?

Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:30 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

And how does he finance his secret lifestyle as the Michael Bay version of Thomas Crown on an LVPD detective's salary?

The twist is such B.S. It does not hold together in any way, shape, or form. It does not resonate on an emotional level, either.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:33 pm
You must have big rats

But it is still so much FUN.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:36 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I stopped having fun after the scene where they rob Caine's character. It just became noisy.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:37 pm
You must have big rats

At least you had fun for half of the film.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:37 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

There is also this strange dynamic where they lead you to believe this will be an Ocean's Eleven style caper film focused on the thieves, but they end up almost peripheral characters, and it is truly a police procedural first and foremost.

Just so unusual.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:38 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Disappointing. This is honestly quite a strange movie, to be honest ;). I loved certain scenes - I thought the first act worked excellently and I loved the big car chase centerpiece in the middle of the film - and it remains fairly entertaining throughout, but it's also ultimately forgettable and could have been a lot better. Considering the excellent cast on hand, almost every character is underdeveloped (especially the main four). It's especially strange because that opening segment gives them all distinct personalities and arcs that could be set up for their characters and then the film just seems to...leave things there in favor of Mark Ruffalo's fairly dull cop character. The final twist doesn't make a whole lot of sense and is fairly dumb. But ultimately I'd say this is worth a rental.

Also, it was annoying as hell that there was so much CGI used in this film. There was so much potential to live up to the promise of displaying these cool magic tricks but I'm pretty sure every single one on display used some kind of special effects. Definitely a wasted opportunity. C+

Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:56 am
Profile YIM
Pure Phase

But it sure would be more fun if the film focused more on the four horsemen and their chemistry.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:23 am
Devil's Advocate

Now You See Me makes the decision to be a fun, light “show”. Like a magic show, its Four Horsemen magicians put a series of twists and illusions on the audience that is engaging.

The magicians played by Jesse Eisenberg, Isla Fisher, Woody Harrelson and Dave Franco, along with Morgan Freeman and Albert Caine’s roles, are the real charismatic and hard to take eyes off performances. Harrelson’s mentalist role especially stands out for its humor. But Mark Ruffalo and Melanie Laurent’s cop procedural plot takes the greater share of the film. It’s just more interesting to see the magic tricks than a cop story that has been done before. Perhaps keeping the magicians at a distance is a key to how fun they are to watch, like stage performers you can’t touch, but they do feel underused. Luckily in the inevitable sequel, they may get the memo that this great cast of magicians should take front and center showing instead of a police cat and mouse game.

The film’s twist feels unnecessary and neither as original or surprising as the film believes. A problem is while a good twist affects how you feel about the rest of the film, this one has virtually no impact on the plot to that point. Perhaps if they’d shown how the twist guided previous plot turns or developed more the motivation for who’s behind the twist, it’d have come off as more than a gimmick.

Now You See Me is fun for the energy and charisma it has. Louis Leterrier puts up a film version of a stage show, there to engage the audience. At the same time, its commitment to light entertainment and no more, perhaps put a cap on the effectiveness of the film. Matching the film, Now You See Me’s ambitions feel light.

Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:11 pm
We had our time together

Albert Caine? :)

I thought it was a very fast paced, highly entertaining movie.

Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:54 am
Profile WWW
100% That Bitch

A

Some of youl are cray.

This film is probably the most fun I've had on a theatre this year.

There was even clapping at the end.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:58 pm
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
'The Mousetrap' with CGI. The twist is so fucking stupid that it ruins the rest of the film. The Eye? Holy fuckness...

Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:48 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

I really enjoyed it.

7/10 ( B )

Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:55 pm
loyalfromlondon

lame

Same.

Algren wrote: