Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Before Midnight 

What grade would you give this film?
A 82%  82%  [ 9 ]
B 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 11

Before Midnight 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Before Midnight
Before Midnight

Quote:
Before Midnight is an upcoming American romance drama film and the sequel to Before Sunrise (1995) and Before Sunset (2004). Like its predecessors, the film was directed by Richard Linklater. As with the previous film, Linklater shares screenplay credit with the lead actors from the films, Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy. Linklater also shares story credit with the original Before Sunrise screenwriter, Kim Krizan.

Fri May 24, 2013 12:41 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: Before Midnight
uggggggh, can't wait to see this Friday. Going to rewatch the first two sometime during the week!

Sun May 26, 2013 1:16 pm
The Incredible Hulk

I just watched the first two for the first time each. Then I saw the trailer for this... I really wish I hadn't and instead was going into the movie

Spoiler: show
Not knowing what resulted, basically

Fri May 31, 2013 4:10 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Lafin Atchu wrote:
I just watched the first two for the first time each. Then I saw the trailer for this... I really wish I hadn't and instead was going into the movie

Not knowing what resulted, basically

I dunno, the ending of the second film seemed pretty obvious to me anyway, when I watched it back in 2005.

Fri May 31, 2013 8:29 am
Profile WWW
The Incredible Hulk

I mean, what happens after it was relient on imagination. Maybe this feeling has more to do with finding out what happened between Sunrise and Sunset in the latter film, whereas already knowing going into this one.

Anyhow, just saw this film tonight and it's great; a fitting capstone to one of the most unique American film series (unless we get "Before Noon" in another 9 years).

Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:50 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

I just found out this is opening at the art theater a block away from my apartment on the 14th. :D I was going to travel over an hour to see it on that date, but I'm kind of happy I don't have to now. ;) Having my most anticipated movie of the year play a block away from me is kind of dangerous, I wonder how many times I will go and see it. :P

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:13 am
Profile YIM WWW
Begging Naked

Loved, loved, loved it. Better than Sunrise and possibly on par with Sunset, which considering that's my favorite film of last 13 years is really saying something.

Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:41 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

The Before-series is the single most overrated series of films among film fans online.

I like it, Sunrise is okay, but Sunset and Midnight are REALLY good. I mean well-written, "real" well-acted and all. But they are not THAT afuckingwesomazing.

Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:05 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I can't speak for this one, but Sunset is one of the top ten best movies of all time. If you don't agree, your opinion is invalid. ;)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:27 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

Loved it. Kind of overwhelming watching all 3 the last couple of days.

Not sure how I felt about the last 10 minutes or so though. I did like how it ended and yet I was kind of frustrated
with the reveal of Jesse's infidelity and how Celine gave in to him in the end with the whole time machine bs
but I didn't hate that. Right now I think I'd say Sunset is still the best of the three but this will probably get better with another viewing.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:09 am
You must have big rats

publicenemy#1 wrote:
Loved it. Kind of overwhelming watching all 3 the last couple of days.

Not sure how I felt about the last 10 minutes or so though. I did like how it ended and yet I was kind of frustrated
with the reveal of Jesse's infidelity and how Celine gave in to him in the end with the whole time machine bs
but I didn't hate that. Right now I think I'd say Sunset is still the best of the three but this will probably get better with another viewing.

I will avoid spoiler tags bexcause, well, tis is the reviews forum ;)

I have recently seen Midnight for the second time and liked it a tad more. It is definitely my favorite of the three (and by far the most mature). It was helped by having more than just two characters, unlike Sunset. The lunch scene is the best in the film.

As for the ending - the way I interpret it is that Jesse was right about Celine's infidelity as well., which makes it even I suppose.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:11 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

I hope it doesn't end open-ended like the second. That was fine since we ended up getting another, but I want a satisfactory ending for the close of the trilogy.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:40 pm
You must have big rats

Magic Mike wrote:
I hope it doesn't end open-ended like the second. That was fine since we ended up getting another, but I want a satisfactory ending for the close of the trilogy.

Even when we were not getting another, Sunset's ending was perfect, easily one of the best things about that film.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:48 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I would say this film has an open ending, but not in the exact same sense as Before Sunset, in which the ending almost teases the audience with its overt ambiguity (recalling the earlier dialogue positioning art as a test to determine whether one is a positive person or negative).

The ending of this film, however, seems to say, "Every day has an open ending." Their conversation at the table ends on a hopeful note, but the argument can easily resume, and there will no doubt be many more lines of division and sources of resentment awaiting them in the future, and they might come upon one their relationship cannot withstand.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:00 pm
Extraordinary

I don't know if I'd say Midnight's ending is completely satisfactory but thinking about it more it works. It's similar to Sunset's in that it kind of ends abruptly but I think it's safe to say that the ending shows that these characters love each other despite the rather blunt and harsh fight that is depicted in the hotel room, but who knows where their relationship will go. It really steers away from the romanticized feel of the first two, which was kind of jarring but I appreciated that.

And I guess I won't add spoiler tags to this but when I was watching the fight I didn't feel that Celine really cheated too but I guess I may be wrong since I've read others say that they both did.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:01 pm
The Incredible Hulk

Hawke has said that a 4th film is possible. It would be interesting though I have no idea where they'd go with it after this one.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:21 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Magic Mike wrote:

Even when we were not getting another, Sunset's ending was perfect, easily one of the best things about that film.

I didn't like the abruptness of it. Delpy singing was nice, but if that was the last film I would have been disappointed. Hopefully this ending is more satisfactory in case it is indeed the final film.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:38 pm
You must have big rats

publicenemy#1 wrote:
I don't know if I'd say Midnight's ending is completely satisfactory but thinking about it more it works. It's similar to Sunset's in that it kind of ends abruptly but I think it's safe to say that the ending shows that these characters love each other despite the rather blunt and harsh fight that is depicted in the hotel room, but who knows where their relationship will go. It really steers away from the romanticized feel of the first two, which was kind of jarring but I appreciated that.

And I guess I won't add spoiler tags to this but when I was watching the fight I didn't feel that Celine really cheated too but I guess I may be wrong since I've read others say that they both did.

It is open for both. Hawke doesn't directly admit to cheating either and Delpy doesn't deny his accusation. It is open, but I believe in both cases heavily implied.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:35 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Dr. Lecter wrote:
publicenemy#1 wrote:

It is open for both. Hawke doesn't directly admit to cheating either and Delpy doesn't deny his accusation. It is open, but I believe in both cases heavily implied.

I certainly didn't get the idea she actually cheated. Jesse's always very quick to turn things around, and he seems to have a fixation with her blowing other guys. I think Celine was just past his bullshit. The fight was about bigger things.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:57 pm
Forum General

I definitely didn't see it as Celine cheating on Jessie at all. He was the one that was brought up more than once that she cheated on him and then he spazzed when she accused him
He definitely had a guilty conscience.

I loved the ending. It fit. It wasn't the most happiest ending, but it it the tone of the movie and if there isn't another, it is a fitting conclusion.

I can't say it was better than Sunset (which is probably in my top 5 films of all time) but it was better than Sunrise
Not saying any are bad, all are GREAT movies. It almost feels weird saying one is better than the other.

Ugh, the part when Celine came in and said "I don't think I'm in love with you anymore" kicked me right in the stomach. Just goes to show how great these characters are written, it felt like I was being broken up with.

Just a raw, honest, beautiful film and if a movie besides it takes my #1 of the year, I will be shocked.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:48 am
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

I spent the last 35 minutes wanting to shout various forms of, "Stop it, stop it, PLEASE stop it" at the screen.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:55 pm
Forum General

The entire motel scene was just emotionally unbearable. :( I can't wait to see it tomorrow.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:03 am
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

The hotel scene was definitely hard to watch, especially for those who have seen the first two so many times.

I think I'll try and catch this one more time in theaters.

Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:12 pm
Forum General

I am seeing it again tonight. I don't think I have EVER had such an emotional experience in a movie than watching that motel room scene. I literally felt sick.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:59 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Wallflower

I really loved this film. It's right up there with the first two. I'd probably say I like the second the best but this series is just amazing as a whole. "Midnight" had a lot to live up to but thankfully didn't disappoint. I loved the opening. I'll admit when the couple is visiting with their friends I thought I might end up being a little disappointed in it. Don't get me wrong, there were a couple of stand-out moments during the dinner scene but the film is much better when it's focusing on Jesse and Celine. Once they left and it was just the two of them I was in heaven. The dialogue is always fascinating and Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy have such an amazing chemistry that it's always a treat to spend time with these characters. There are so many laugh-out-loud funny bits here but them fighting was heartbreaking and felt so real. Don't get me wrong, I was riveted the whole time, but after growing over the years with these characters it's definitely hard to watch.

I really hope we'll get to revisit these characters again one day, but if not this was a terrific close to the series. The ending was lovely. This won't be for everyone (to say this is dialogue-driven is an understatement), but fans of the first two will not be disappointed. I wouldn't even recommend anyone that hasn't already seen them watch this one. It just wouldn't have the same impact or mean nearly as much if you aren't already familiar with these characters.

So far this is the best film of the year. I am in love with it. I sincerely hope Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy receive well-deserved Oscar nominations for their performances.

9/10 (A)

Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next