Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 The Lords of Salem 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
D 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
F 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 4

The Lords of Salem 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post The Lords of Salem
The Lords of Salem

Quote:
The Lords of Salem is a 2012 horror film written, produced and directed by Rob Zombie, and starring his wife Sheri Moon Zombie. It is about the city of Salem, Massachusetts, being visited by a coven of ancient witches. The film started shooting on October 17, 2011 and premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival on September 10, 2012. Rob Zombie's novelization of The Lords of Salem was released on March 12, 2013, with the film having a limited release on April 19, 2013.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:27 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Post Re: The Lords of Salem
Metal veteran turned cult director Rob Zombie shifts into an ambitious gear for his fifth feature, The Lords of Salem, which is for the most part an ode to slow-burning supernatural suspense in the tradition of The Exorcist and Rosemary's Baby, though the third-act move into the psychedelic and the ultra-violent is more in line with Zombie's established authorial vision. I am not sure each cool element--the autumn atmosphere, the spine-tingling music, the roster of faces recognizable to genre fans, the often downright elegant shot compositions, the acid-trip explosions of perverse religious symbolism--form a complete and sound whole, but the craftsmanship and creative evolution on display is admirable and results in set pieces which will fill fans with an almost ecstatic morbid glee. And Rob's wife and frequent star, Sheri Moon Zombie, surprises, too, delivering a tender performance as the protagonist, a D.J. with a history of drug abuse. She can act!

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:35 pm
Extraordinary

There are some haunting visuals and the sound design is excellent, but the film is crippled by the fact that it's desperate for us to like Heidi, and yet she has no character. She's one of the most passive horror protagonists I've ever seen, and her one defining characteristic is that she likes her dog.

My first impression is similar to many Zombie films: very well-directed, atmospheric as hell, but with a script that can't pull its weight.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:21 pm
Pure Phase

I might just be unusual ;), but I enjoyed her unusual characterization. And her hesitant flirtation with the other D.J. She is just a flawed, quiet, salt-of-the-earth girl with a few personal demons. I did not mind the absence of typical Final-Girl qualities.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:49 pm
Extraordinary

Neither do I, but I prefer some qualities to be there. I know absolutely nothing about her personality other than she likes her dog and used to do drugs (which makes me laugh, seeing as how her previous addictions are introduced in dialogue about three minutes before she starts using again).

The acting's fine, but the character is a complete cypher.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:09 pm
Wallflower

The Dark Shape wrote:
and her one defining characteristic is that she likes her dog.

Well at least it's a good one :P. I hope the dog doesn't die ;).

Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:17 pm
Pure Phase

The dog survives.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:36 pm
Wallflower

David wrote:
The dog survives.

The goats probably aren't as lucky ;).

Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:41 pm
Pure Phase

I do not remember any animal dying in the film.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:46 pm
Forum General

This is a very, very aggravating movie. I am a huge fan of Zombie's previous work (I actually think Halloween II is pretty much brilliant in every way) and I have always loved Sheri Moon Zombie (when I was 15, I named my cat Baby after her character in The Devil's Rejects :P ) but this was a huge step back for him. It really could have been a great movie but the script was so, so, so poorly written. Sheri Moon Zombie was way over her head here, she was terrible but the part was written so horribly (I completely agree with TDS here) that I can't put all of the blame on her. Even after all that awfulness, the biggest WTF??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! moment was Dee Wallace... I have no words. SO BAD. Despite all of this... I did admire the film. Zombie is a visionary and a fantastic director. Technically this movie is amazing (and the score, OMG so good!) but it has so many misfires it is hard to really like it.

I was never bored and Zombie's direction was phenomenal... So I need to give it a lot of credit. Like I said, I admired it a lot. I just wish someone else wrote it.

6/10

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:56 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

THE LORDS OF SALEM

This was a sit through film I must say. I did appreciate some of the visuals that were created and the damn music recording really gets pounded into your head by the end of the film. Um, there was a bit too many old naked lady images as well. The story wasn't that interesting for me. It really just dragged along. It kind of reminded me of Rosemary's Baby just because of the whole birth thing and sickness, but there really wasn't much all that memorable about this film.

One of the good things I did enjoy was the red band to No One Lives. That film looks like Taken vs Rednecks and I LOVE it already! Anyway...

Grade - C

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:44 pm
Forum General

Nobody else has anything else to say about Dee Wallace Really? :P

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:04 am
Profile YIM WWW
Wallflower

THE LORDS OF SALEM (2013)

For a little while I thought this could be one of the more tolerable Rob Zombie films. But as it progressed it just got worse and worse. First of all, there's really no character development. While I did kind of like the main character well enough I didn't ultimately care what would happen to her. We don't get to know enough about her to really care. She's completely one-dimensional. I wouldn't say Sheri Moon Zombie has become a better actress but her character here is less over-the-top than her Baby character from "Corpses" and "Rejects" and unlike that character she's actually likeable, so to me she came off much better here than in any of her other movies. The really awful performance comes from Dee Wallace, who is absolutely Razzie-worthy. What happened to her?

Zombie's writing still hasn't improved much. Some of the dialogue here is pretty bad. One line that stood out as particularly terrible to me was, "Did you come here to stick your nosy cock inside her head and fuck her brain?" WHAT?!?! LOL.

I'd heard how great this was visually but I can't say I was impressed. It all looked really cheap to me and the film's dull look was pretty ugly. I know the budget was only 1.5 Million but I've seen better looking movies for less.

I'm not a Rob Zombie fan but really did try to have an open-mind about this. It just felt so empty. Weird visuals alone do not make a movie. It is a different kind of movie for Rob Zombie, but it still has the same basic DNA.

Anchor Bay really did audiences a favor by not giving this a wide release. They'll likely feel less cheated when they pick it up at Redbox. The majority of audiences would despise it.

While it started out interesting it didn't take long for it to get pretty boring. I also thought it was kind of cheesy. But I do have to give credit where credit is due. Some of the music was actually very good. I didn't expect that. The track that was played on the record by "The Lords" was kind of cool.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I wouldn't mind watching a horror film Rob Zombie directed but didn't write. Writing is not his strong suit. If he directed a good script and didn't alter it I do believe he could make a pretty good film. So far of his movies I've liked H2 the most. I thought it went in an intriguing direction. But even that is bogged down by some weak writing.

4/10 (D+)

Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:14 am
now we know

Not scary. Not creepy. A waste of my mother-fucking time. Crap.

F

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:15 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]