Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Alex Cross 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
D 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
F 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 4

Alex Cross 
loyalfromlondon

Post Alex Cross
Alex Cross

Quote:
Alex Cross is a 2012 American crime thriller film starring Tyler Perry as the titular character and Matthew Fox as the antagonist. The film is directed by Rob Cohen based on an adapted screenplay by Marc Moss and Kerry Williamson. This the third film appearance of the character Alex Cross, the main character of a series of novels by James Patterson. Cross was previously portrayed by Morgan Freeman in Kiss the Girls (1997) and Along Came a Spider (2001). In 2010, Idris Elba was attached to star, but he was replaced by Perry. Filming took place in 2011. The film was released on October 19, 2012 in the United States and Canada.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:07 am
Extraordinary

Post Re: Alex Cross
ALEX CROSS

Caught this at a screening earlier in the week. I felt it was a poor man's Denzel Washington film. Certainly had some action and drama but Tyler Perry doesn't work for me in this picture and Fox was a bit over the top. At times there was a bit too much family/relationship drama to deal with as well. I did, however, enjoy seeing Cicely Tyson in the picture.

Grade - C

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:06 pm
Superman: The Movie

For all those morality plays Perry likes to create, I'm surprised he agreed to star in this ugly, nasty, piece of shit. I'm sure he's never made a film just for money. There's no chance Perry could be a hypocrite right? He's never made a movie just for money before right? That's just crazy talk. :funny:

This is one of the few movies I've seen recently where despite everything that happens to the main characters, I'm pretty sure they don't learn a damn thing by the end of the film. They also fail to show any remorse over what's happened which is simply baffling to me. It's just lazy scriptwriting and poor direction. All the movie seems to be focused on is putting together the building blocks for a franchise that, now (thankfully), simply won't exist.

And what sort of sucks about this is that the first third isn't as god-awful as I was expecting. I had a free movie ticket to burn and I had heard that this was supposedly a "so bad it's great" kind of films in terms of being unintentionally funny. It turns out it isn't at all. As I said, the first third is far from bad. But then the script and Rob Cohen's incoherent direction just simply derail everything.

*½ (D+)

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Last edited by Jmart on Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:21 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Jmart wrote:
For all those morality plays Perry likes to create, I'm surprised he agreed to star in this ugly, nasty, piece of shit. Because there's no chance Perry could be a hypocrite right? That's just crazy talk.

Because an actor should only do projects which, when considered as a whole, form a clear, didactic moral message.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:18 pm
Superman: The Movie

David wrote:
Jmart wrote:
For all those morality plays Perry likes to create, I'm surprised he agreed to star in this ugly, nasty, piece of shit. Because there's no chance Perry could be a hypocrite right? That's just crazy talk.

Because an actor should only do projects which, when considered as a whole, form a clear, didactic moral message.

Good catch. After shit I was going to write that I'm sure he didn't do this for the money. That probably would've made my point a little more concise and sarcastic like I originally wanted.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:27 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

This was really bad.

Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:06 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

It started off somewhat promising. But it couldn't hold that promise for long. What happens to the main characters should have had some sort of an emotional impact on the viewer, but it never does. And Perry sucks at dramatic scenes in this film.

Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:35 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

The first 2012 film I've watched in about 3 weeks! I was quite excited to find the time to watch a film, so I chose Alex Cross. I made a bad, bad decision. There's probably never been a better movie to use the clichéd expression of "generic thriller" to, it's that bad. There are so many problems with it. The filming, in the most important scenes, is wonky and unsteady, the acting is cheesy and simply bad (like, the actors do not know how to deliver lines), and Tyler Perry is so utterly unconvincing as a human that is somehow a doctor and a police officer. The biggest point, which I'm incapable of suspending my disbelief to such a level, is how Alex Cross just knows everything about everything without having to do any police work. He knew to fold that paper and he got the next victim's initials, he knew that the train would be the mode of transport for the bazooka shot, and he knew other things too, and all at his first guess.

It was such a lazy DTV-esque thriller. At one point, Matthew Fox, escapes from an attempted assassination on some German guy in a building, and instead of Alex Cross and co. pursuing him out of the building, they just stand around and talk. I mean, it's not too far-fetched of me to assume that they could still catch up with him - he only left their sight 20 seconds ago, at least they could call a few cops like what happens in other films and say "the suspect is on foot, look out for him etc etc.", but nothing, they just wait because they know another scene will come up, and it's that laziness that I loathed.

The only redeeming qualities were how Alex Cross's wife gets killed, Edward Burn's girlfriend gets killed, and Matthew Fox was decent enough as the insane, pain-loving killer. But Cross gets over his wife being killed pretty fast, within hours actually, he's back to being super "cool" detective. Rob Cohen assumes that one scene of him crying in a church (I know, cliché or what!) is enough for the audience to tick the box that says he misses his wife. It's super lazy. The script is possibly the worst thing about the film. The lines are cheesy and pointless. At one point, Ed Burns is getting annoyed about the killer using a drug on his victims, so Cross calms him and says "we gotta catch this guy" ... as if before they knew about the drugs, they didn't need to catch him. It's just shit.

D- ... which tomorrow could easily turn to an F

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:01 am
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Yeah, this whole Alex Cross is Sherlock Holmes thing was so stupid and I never ever want to see Tyler Perry in a movie again.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:06 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Riggs wrote:
Yeah, this whole Alex Cross is Sherlock Holmes thing was so stupid and I never ever want to see Tyler Perry in a movie again.

Alex Cross was the first time I had seen Tyler Perry in anything, and I also never want to see him in a movie again.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:14 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Given the box-office failure of this one, he'll probably just return to his own flicks, meaning that we probably won't ever have to see him again.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:11 am
Profile WWW
now we know

As I watched Alex Cross, and every line that Tyler Perry delivered, I just couldn't help think how much better those lines would have sounded coming from Morgan Freeman. Now there's a man that you can believe as being a cop, a doctor, a loving father, and having a hot wife (possibly back in his Kiss the Girls days, not now). Perry stuck out like a sore thumb, and his acting stinks.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:18 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

I might get a ton of shit for this, but to be honest I actually didn't mind this movie all that much. I was expecting MUCH worse going in, but for the most part it wasn't too bad of a way to waste an hour and forty minutes.

Maybe it's because I'm not the biggest fan of the original Morgan Freeman movies, but I thought this was an ok cheesey B-movie thriller. It probably shouldn't be called Alex Cross though and Tyler Perry definitely isn't no Morgan Freeman.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:39 pm
now we know

^I'm giving you shit for that! Perhaps others can join in and we'll eventually get enough shit to make a ton.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:33 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]