Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Hellraiser 

What grade would you give this film?
A 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
B 67%  67%  [ 4 ]
C 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

Hellraiser 
loyalfromlondon

Post Hellraiser
Hellraiser

Quote:
Hellraiser (also known as Clive Barker's Hellraiser) is a 1987 British horror film based upon the novella The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker, who also wrote the screenplay and directed the film. The film spawned a series of sequels. A remake was announced and might be presented in 3D. Hellraiser was number 19 on the cable channel Bravo's list of the 100 Scariest Movie Moments.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:12 pm
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Hellraiser
This... kinda sucks. Too much British soap opera, not enough Pinhead.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:15 pm
Pure Phase

One of my favorite horror films. Love the atmosphere. Love Clare Higgins' performance (she reminds me of Charlotte Rampling). It has just the right amount of Pinhead and co., and they are truly frightening and revelatory here versus just being iconic series regulars going through the motions in the later sequels.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:54 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Just watched this for the first time. I have to say, its nothing like I thought it would be. Some great atmosphere and cinematography and score. The Puzzle box however is much more interesting than the love story. Also some truly terrible acting, but I'm glad I saw it finally. It's really not that scary, but it is gory enough and Pinhead does seem like a cool character.

Solid B

Dave do you recommend any of the sequels?

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:11 pm
Extraordinary

Hellbound: Hellraiser II is the best film in the series. Really, really ambitious, even if it doesn't make much sense or have any money.

It's the rare franchise that picks up a bit when it goes DTV. Pinhead is turned into a wannabe-Freddy Krueger in Hellraiser III and Hellraiser: Bloodline, but that's toned down in the video entries. Hellraiser: Inferno is from the director of The Exorcism of Emily Rose and Sinister and is quite good.

I'd rate them something like:

Hellraiser - B
Hellbound - A-
Hell On Earth - C-
Bloodline - C
Inferno - B
Hellseeker - B-
Deader - C
Hellworld - C-

Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:21 pm
Pure Phase

Gun, I recommend the second and, with strong reservations, Inferno.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:56 pm
Your Knife, My Back. My Gun, Your Head.

B+

The first two are really good, and I've always liked Hell on Earth. Never dug anything past part 3.

Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:10 pm
The Kramer

Had never seen any of this franchise, so I watched the first 3 in the spirit of the season.

Hellraiser - Not at all what I was expecting. Pinhead is in it for like five minutes, but that is for the best since Frank and Julia Cotton are very strong villains. Having those people living right under the surface of your happy life is scarier than some gothy sadomasochistic dudes. A little too much focus on the gore, but I get that it was a popular move at the time. Pain and pleasure, indivisible. Is the pain worth the pleasure though?

Hellbound - Another solid entry that didn't exactly go the way I was expecting. Kirsty isn't the brightest hero, but she's good enough and does finally come up with a clever trick to fool the Doc. The gore is once again too much, with the bug guy scene being nearly unwatchable, but it's pretty calm after that. I'd rank it lower than the first, but still appreciate it. Takes the "how far would you go for eternal pleasure" theme and makes into a story about escaping from hell, which is kinda brilliant.

Hell on Earth - This sucked hard and is exactly what I feared coming in to this franchise. It poo-poos on any subtlety of the first two stories and just goes all in on Pinhead being a Gothy Sadomasochist who kills everyone that happens to be around. Yawn.

Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]