Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Hard Rain 

What grade would you give this film?
A 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 4

Hard Rain 
loyalfromlondon

Post Hard Rain
Hard Rain

Quote:
Hard Rain (also known as The Flood) is a 1998 American/British action thriller disaster movie, produced by Mark Gordon, written by Graham Yost (the writer-producer team also behind the film Speed) and directed by former cinematographer turned director Mikael Salomon. It stars Christian Slater, Morgan Freeman, Randy Quaid, Minnie Driver and Ed Asner.

The plot centers around a heist and man-made treachery amidst a natural disaster in a small Indiana town. The tagline is "A simple plan. An instant fortune. Just add water." The film was not a financial success in the United States but fared better overseas and had good video sales, yet received polarized reviews.

The film is also noteworthy for its use of the song "Flood" by the christian rock group Jars of Clay, which launched the band into the mainstream music scene.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:46 am
On autopilot for the summer

Post Re: Hard Rain
Terrible action, ludicrous disaster, awful villains. All in all, quite a fucking turd.

F

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:08 am
Pure Phase

Not as good as Chain Reaction.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:30 am
now we know

Fucking action classic.

Brilliant plot, brilliant action. Makes a difference from all of the generic plots and CGI set pieces of modern day action movies. I loved it.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:55 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Just as entertaining as when I watched it all those times as a boy. Such a great action film. The flood is the perfect setting for a robbery. It just makes everything so much more adventurous and dangerous. It must've been a tough shoot, but no Oscar for Slater, lol. I will forever remember it as one of the top 90s action films. Freeman is great as always, and he's the likable one. There are so many horrible people in this film. Slater doesn't do much, basically just plays Hale again, but I actually like that familiarity. His quips (apart from the final one) are at least chuckle worthy. It makes me so happy watching films like this, Broken Arrow, and The Rock. The 90s seriously competes for the best action decade against he 80s. It's neck and neck.

Thu May 30, 2019 9:07 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Yeah this is a very underrated 90's action gem. I remember watching it all the time on cable as a kid as well and always enjoying it. Freeman is great in this and Slater is a likeable enough lead. I'm not even the biggest Christian Slater fan either, but he's perfectly suited with roles like this and his role in Broken Arrow. The best thing about this film though is definitely the practical set design, especially the use of the flood effects which must have been hell to get right. This is exactly the type of action film I miss nowadays, because of how much they use to actually rely on practical effects and not just CGI.

I think that's what I appreciate the most about it even today, especially after you watch shit like Skyscraper which just looks like a huge embarrassment in comparison.

Fri May 31, 2019 2:25 am
now we know

Did you see The Hurricane Heist? Fucking lame compared to Hard Rain.

Fri May 31, 2019 2:55 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Algren wrote:
Did you see The Hurricane Heist? Fucking lame compared to Hard Rain.

Yep I have seen it, and while I didn't hate it is pretty lame compared to something like Hard Rain.

Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]