Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Expendables 2 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 4 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
C 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
D 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8

The Expendables 2 
You must have big rats

Post The Expendables 2
The Expendables 2

Quote:
The Expendables 2 is a 2012 American ensemble action film directed by Simon West and written by Richard Wenk and Sylvester Stallone, based on a story by Ken Kaufman, David Agosto and Wenk. It is a sequel to the 2010 action film The Expendables, and stars Sylvester Stallone, Jason Statham, Jet Li, Dolph Lundgren, Chuck Norris, Randy Couture, Terry Crews, Liam Hemsworth, Jean-Claude Van Damme, Bruce Willis, and Arnold Schwarzenegger. The film follows the mercenary group The Expendables as they undertake a seemingly simple mission that evolves into a quest for revenge against Jean Vilain, a rival mercenary that has murdered one of their own, and who threatens the world with a deadly weapon.

Principal photography took place over 14 weeks beginning in September 2011 on an estimated $100 million budget, with filming occurring in Bulgaria, Hong Kong and New Orleans. Controversy arose over environmental damage caused during filming in Bulgaria, and the accidental death of a stuntman. Brian Tyler returned to score the film.

The film was released across Europe on August 16, 2012, followed by a North American release on August 17. A tie-in downloadable video game was released on July 31, 2012, that served as a prequel to the events of the film.

Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:18 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Post Re: The Expendables 2
So much fun, too bad they obviously shot for PG-13 (no "fuck's" in the film) and CGI'ed blood and gore into the film later.

Still enjoyable. Chuck Norris kills it. Too bad Jet Li's role is no more a cameo than Bruce Willis' part in the first film. Seriously, 2-3 on-screen minutes tops. Also, the marketing makes Arnie's role seem larger than it is.

Full review coming later.

Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:20 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Dr. Lecter wrote:
So much fun, too bad they obviously shot for 3D (no "fuck's" in the film) and CGI'ed blood and gore into the film later.

You can say fuck in 3-D.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:21 pm
You must have big rats

Note to self: don't write two things at once.

Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:23 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I'm sad to hear Jet Li is barely in it. He and Jason Statham are the two cast members I'm a fan of.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:25 pm
You must have big rats

I just think he didn't really want to do this or wanted too big of a pacheck. There is absolutely no reason why he is in it so little. At least he has one action scene.

Chuck Norris, on the other hand, might have only a glorified cameo, but he does leave an impression.

Statham really kicks ass big time in this.

Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:29 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Is Li the one who dies and is avenged? After Rourke dropped out they might have shifted it to Li.

Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:59 pm
loyalfromlondon

The Dark Shape wrote:
Is Li the one who dies and is avenged? After Rourke dropped out they might have shifted it to Li.

Spoiler: show
No, it's Hemsworth.

I thought this was marginally better than the first one, but still suffers from a lot of problems. It takes itself far too seriously. It doesn't embrace the utter ridiculousness of its concept. The action mostly consists of people firing large guns at disposable minions, which gets tiring pretty quickly. And yeah, the roles of Li, Schwarzenegger, Willis, and Norris are way overhyped. Even Van Damme doesn't do a whole lot.

These films had the potential to be a lot of fun, but they totally botched it. Nobody wants to see Terry Crews and Randy Couture chatting about coffee. What a waste of a concept.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:46 pm
You must have big rats

How could it possibly be less serious?

Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:24 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Easily. Do away with all the solemnizing and monologuing. Hemsworth's army story on the plane. The women in the town. Stallone and the Chinese chick's "romance". These movies should be fun, and instead they're mostly boring and somber.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:30 pm
You must have big rats

Quote:
Two years after their first on-screen mission, The Expendables are back to face their biggest threat yet. The Expendables’ leader, Barney Ross (Sylvester Stallone) owes the shadowy CIA operative Mr. Church $5 million in confiscated cash from a previous job. Faced with a choice between prison and one final assignment for Church, Ross chooses the latter, a decision for which the Expendables will pay a high price. What starts as an uncomplicated mission for Ross and his team – comprised of Randy Couture, Terry Crews, Dolph Lundgren, Jason Statham und the newcomers Liam Hemsworth as the sniper Billy the Kid and Yu Nan as the team’s first female member, the fight-experienced safecracker Maggie – turns into their biggest nightmare. Once they retrieve a mysterious device from the safe in the wreckage of an airplane in Albania, they are promptly confronted by the ruthless Jean Vilain (Jean-Claude van Damme) and his team of mercenaries (the anti-Expendables so to speak). Vilain (yes, the movie isn’t very subtle in case you didn’t guess) snatches the contents of the safe and leaves, but not before humiliating Ross’ team and brutally murdering one of its members. From then on, it’s personal. The Expendables need to stop Vilain before he can sell six tons of weapon-grade plutonium to the highest bidder. But the main priority for Ross is to avenge the death of one of their own. A relentless pursuit of the villains’ gang, the Sangs, ensues in the course of which The Expendables need to rely on some unexpected, but very welcome help.

Bringing together the biggest action stars of the 1980s, 1990s and the 2000s together in one movie sounds like an action fan’s wet dream. In 2010 Sylvester Stallone made this dream come true and crafted himself and his colleagues their biggest hit in years. He even snuck short cameos by Bruce Willis and Arnold Schwarzenegger into the film. The concept worked as expected and most audiences left the film not just satisfied, but also wishing for more. Since the logic for sequels in Hollywood always goes by the “bigger and better” premise, it was obvious that for the inevitable sequel, Stallone would need to ramp up things. It meant more action, but also more action stars. On the latter, the movie delivers. Not only did he expand the cameos by Arnie and Willis to something almost resembling supporting parts, but he also got Jean Claude van Damme in his first villainous role, the famed martial artist Scott Adkins as his henchman Hector and Chuck Norris in his first big-screen appearance (aside from his cameo as himself in Dogeball) since 1995 to appear in the new movie. With this much star power and machismo on-screen, he still managed to build a somewhat significant female part for Yu Nan. Even though her character doesn’t give her a whole lot and forces a small romantic subplot for her and Sly, at least she gets to kick some ass along with the rest of the team.

As the ensemble cast of the film grew, some actors just had to suffer. Mickey Rourke is the only significant surviving member of the first film’s cast that did not return for a second round, though his character is hardly missed. Rourke’s monologue from the first film was a good piece of acting, but it also seemed like from a different (more serious) movie and caused a rather unwelcome tonal shift. Jet Li is reduced to such a short cameo appearance here, comparable to that of Bruce Willis in the first movie, that one has got to ask why Li and the filmmakers even bothered. At least he’s given a nice little fight scene to showcase that he has still got the chops. As for the rest of the old team, only Stallone and Statham get their individual moments of glory. Whereas the first movie allowed each individual members of the team their individual moments to shine, the follow-up is more about teamwork. Afterall, it’s the newcomers that the focus is on. However, some hoping a lot of ass-kicking by Bruce Willis and Arnie might be in for a disappointment. In particular Willis’ part is only marginally larger than his appearance in the first film, whereas the Governator’s turn is being overmarketed compared to his screen time. The two do get to join forces in combat during the film’s larger-than-life final showdown, but it’s not nearly as much as one might have hoped for. Their turns mostly consist of comedic banter through one-liners (“Yippee-Ki-Yay”, “I’ll be back” both are heard) and shooting numerous interchangeable minions. As short as Chuck Norris’ part may be, however, he almost steals the show. The movie and Norris himself fully appreciate his unexpected internet fame. Even the recital of one of the most popular Chuck Norris facts is included here. The only thing missing is the trademark roundhouse kick, but afterall Norris is already 72 and, as Arnie states in one of the movies most self-aware moments, belongs into a museum with the rest of the film’s ensemble. That doesn’t apply for the still incredibly fit van Damme who fully relishes his bad guy part, complete with a hokey foreign accent, some babbling about the importance of symbols and unhidden arrogance. The much talked-about mano-a-mano face-off between him and Stallone is way too short considering the build-up to this monumental confrontation, but manages to showcase the strengths of each fighter, including the Muscles from Brussels’ trademark kick. Liam Hemsworth on the other hand only serves the purpose of humanizing Stallone and his team and injecting some young blood in order to maybe lure a few younger audiences into the movie. He does an adequate job, no more, no less.

There isn’t much to be said about the rest. Statham still owns the action scenes and the one-liners (including the already legendary “I pronounce you Man and Knife”), but the small subplot of him getting married and being constantly called by his fiancée is entirely useless. On the other hand, his fight with Scott Adkins is one of the movie’s most distinguished action scenes and easily tops the more hyped van Damme/Stallone face-off. Dolph Lundgren’s oafish Gunnar is the movie’s pronounced comic relief, whereas Terry Crews and Randy Couture are reduced to some forgettable banter.

The first movie worked best when it didn’t take itself seriously at all. It could also benefit from the awe-inspiring novelty that it offered – getting all these stars in one movie and just run with it. Obviously the second film cannot offer that novelty experience again, so in turn, it just ramps up the ridiculousness of the whole thing. Admittedly, there are still some overly serious moments, like Hemsworth’s heavy-handed account of what he has suffered in Afghanistan before joining the team. For the most part, however, it feels as if the filmmakers had a checklist of iconic quotes, movie references and character moments that needed to be in this film. The first flick introduced the ridiculous concept to the audiences, but the second is the one that lives up to it more. Don’t get me wrong, it is still a very calculated enterprise pandering to very specific target audiences. However, it is obvious that the cast had a great time here and doesn’t shy away from poking fun at themselves (including Lundgren’s real-life academic achievements). It’s pure, unabashed, self-aware and constantly self-referential fun giving its audiences just exactly what they expect from a film like this.

The aspect where the film lets down is the action. Sylvester Stallone, apparently busy enough with the screenplay and trying to recruit his old friends for the movie, gave over the directorial reins to Con Air’s Simon West. West who hasn’t produced a solid movie since The General’s Daughter in 1999 does a run-of-the-mill job here with not particular standouts. There are heaps and heaps of action here and a lot of things go boom, but most of it consists of The Expendables shooting up hundreds of faceless opponents, while almost never showing them in any danger. The stakes seem not high enough to generate much suspense. Moreover, while there is a lot of blood and splatter to be seen, it appears obvious that the movie was shot for a PG-13 rating originally and had later blood CGI’ed into it after the outrage of its fans. The fact that not a single “F”-word can be heard during the film is another proof of that. So while the action does entertain well, the set-pieces are simply not memorable enough and only few of the stars actually get into hand-to-hand combat (another result of the actors’ advanced age).

Nevertheless, anyone who has followed the careers of these stars during their prime will be hard-pressed not to enjoy them having this much fun on-screen, while recognizing their over-the-top action personas. It’s a movie for fans and it makes the most out of this undeniably silly idea. Just grab a beer, check your brain at the door and enjoy these aged legends doing what they do best.

http://www.worldofkj.com/article.php?i=795

Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:03 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

EXPENDABLES 2

I enjoyed the first one and I like the idea of gathering up 80s/90s action stars. This film obviously continued that with Norris and Van Damme along with more Arnold and Bruce. There wasn't enough Li and I wish the asian girl would have been Maggie Q or Michelle Yeoh. I would hope in the future they bring on people like Chow Yun Fat, Jackie Chan or Yeoh. I enjoyed this film much more than the first one. Though it could have used a bit more Statham. There was only a slight lull after the action packed opening and the search for the box. Ott, it was entertaining with comedy and spurts of action, one liners and a couple glorified (yet satisfying) cameos. I was actually surprised at the level of emotion I had for the death of a character early on. Overall, I was happy with the picture and would love to see them get started on another immediately.

Grade - A

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:30 pm
Extraordinary

I can't believe Norris is 72 and I saw the film at an afternoon showing today. I think it's best to see this at a fuller evening show where you'll get a better movie experience with audience interaction.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:36 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

On par with the first meaning it wasn't good. The film just doesn't reach its potential and falls for too much cliches and I particularly hated all the references made to the other actor's movies. I mean one reference is fine but this just had them coming out way too much.

Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:19 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

In their second adventure as in their first, the Expendables are just not as fun as they should be. Indeed, nowhere near as exciting as many of its stars' recent solo ventures, including Rambo and Safe. The film opens well with an extended siege and chase. It's an elaborate, tense, and violent sequence with a playful current of humor, an extreme variation on a Bond film's opening, but then Jet Li jumps out of a plane (and the movie), not to return, and this signals the start of the dire second act, which, in a disastrous decision, is played rather straight. The photography is grey. There are exploited Eastern European locals to save. A new character is introduced only to die. Too much time is devoted to second-string players such as Terry Crews and Randy Couture. There are a few elements to savor, including Jean-Claude Van Damme's tastily malevolent performance as an antagonist named "Jean Vilain," but this stretch of the film feels long, long, long, and it is far from cool or energetic. A bit of air and zest returns for the third act, which includes Bruce Willis and Arnold Schwarzenegger in slightly expanded cameos, but it's still nothing extraordinary by popcorn-movie standards. This franchise is a stranger and slower proposition than it should be.

C+

Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:10 am
Pure Phase

Even though I knew his screen time would be limited going in, Jet Li's abrupt exit feels so strange. I would love to know the behind-the-scenes story. I notice he didn't attend any of the several international premieres.

The film's ensemble doesn't feel as epic in motion as the poster would indicate. It's largely just a Stallone vehicle. Even Statham feels a tad underutilized, though his final fight near the helicopter is fantastic.

Arnold is fun, though the film maybe leans on him and Willis a tad too much? They never get a chance to just be part of the film, to exist in the frame and in the scene. They are dialed up to eleven for every second of their screen time, with the "cute" references and such.

Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:14 am
College Boy Z

Chuck Norris' role is perfect and completely hilarious.

So is the fact that Arnold had to say "I'll be back" like three times, and Bruce Willis calls him out on it.

This is just an awesome action movie. I agree about the Stallone/Asian chick "romance" - it's really awkward and pointless. But otherwise? Who cares. It's fun.

Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:15 am
On autopilot for the summer

This movie was just awesome from start to finish. Music choice in particular was great throughout. Action was great. Pretty much everything they got right in the first film they improved on. First the characters.

Lungren- So creepy and disgusting, yet hilarious and a bad ass. When him and Stallone slap hands after both killing someone is just hilarious, as is his intelligence and bizarre last meal dream of Baby Seal and Whale Ass.
Crews- Easily best kill goes to him. Breaks a guys neck by swinging him by the legs. Amazing
Couture- He's throwaway, but a nice sidekick nonetheless for Crews.
Statham- Really great throughout. Shows he's still in his action prime.
Stallone- Solid throughout- the 80s and 90s hero can still throw down with the rest of them
Li- He's brief but considering the end was going to be a shoot em up (Which basically makes him useless) his fight is just awesome and the chinese takeout line is worth it.
Norris, Arnold and Willis are all great, and Norris is a real treat. Just like stealing Dodgeball, he has to realize by now people want him on the screen again. Can't wait to see Arnold back on the screen in bigger roles.
Van Damm has a lot of fun, He's ruthless but kind of dainty as well. His sidekick was great too.
Hemsworth- He keeps the film from going off the rails, and that's important. If this went too "Machete" it wouldn't be as good.

Bring on part 3.

A+ The one film of the summer you could rely on to deliver what it was suppose to, and based on who you are, the rating is exactly what you think it would be before you even see it.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:51 pm
now we know

68% on RT :D

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:07 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Meh.

About as unexciting as the first one.

An example of it's weakness is the continual reappearance of Chuck Norris - - the first time was fun, but they had to ruin the gag by repeating it over and over.

2 out of 5.

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:58 pm
now we know

The Expendables 2

This is a blast from start to finish. But I will say that to enjoy this you have to like the stars in the movie and like their respective careers. If you do not, then you're just going to get overly critical about a movie that is pure entertainment.

I loved the movie. It was really great. I watched it in China (opening day, first showing), so I felt, like I did with the first, that a lot of the bloody scenes were cut. It just cut at weird times when I thought something great was going to come. That ruined it slightly for me. What made up for it was the great dialogue and surprisingly interesting scenes of talking/relaxing, which I really wanted because the first movie seemed to move at such a pace. Stallone and Norris are talking on the bonnet of the car, that was nice.

I was sad to not see Novak Djokovic at all after hearing about him having a cameo! Where was he?

Dolph was underused. I will see it again, and again, and again, but to my recollection he wasn't in the final action sequence at all in the airport. I don't remember him firing a single shot there. He should have been more of a ruthless maniac expendable, rather than the comic relief, because quite frankly his acting isn't good enough to do that. I loved the "I could die for some Chinese" and "She's into me" lines. Great stuff. There were lots of jokes in the film, and I also really enjoyed the subplots, like Statham's fiancee and Hemsworth's girl in Paris. Next time I'd like to see more of Stallone and Dolph's personal life; there must be something.

There's so much to talk about with this film that I feel I cannot cover it all now. Randy Couture and Terry Crews were basically second-strong characters that didn't get much screen time. Crews got a little bit more due to his gun and his 'guns', but is reduced to a joke pretty throughout.

The sentimental stuff, like rescuing the Albanian miners, was fine with me. As a lifelong Stallone fan, I know that Sly likes to write this sort of stuff into the script, so I'm used to it, and I liked it. What is wrong with trying to humanize these characters? You can still enjoy the action if that's what you've come for.

Van Damme was a gem as Jean Vilain. I loved his over-the-top [what seemed like] ad-libbing, but in my opinion it should have been more OTT, would've been even better. He needed to be more of a threat too and given more screen time.

When Arnie, Willis and Sly are all shooting in the airport, the camera is not positioned very well at all, and I think that should have been done better. Arnie and Willis are there, but they don't do much apart from shooting, and it felt like we were being given a treat, rather than them being part of the plot.

What surprised me was how most of the shots in the trailer happened in the opening scene. The film offered many more scenes and circumstances than I thought it would, and I absolutely loved how badass Van Damme was - he wanted everyone to be killed, and they didn't try to water him down at all.

I think in he next one Statham really has got to take of his black garb. Go fight in T-shirt and jeans for a scene or two. Mix it up. Sly seemed to change clothing a lot.

Hopefully Li is in the threequel because when he fights there is such an authenticity about it that the others, even couture, cannot match. I love to watch Li. Even in the first one he is sidetracked with care for his family, so it was no surprise to me that he left so early and never came back. I just wish Dolph had more to say. Norris' cameo was fantastic. The music that plays when he came on was great. I thought that Van Damme may have died in a more spectacular way, but Adkins sure did.

Overall, there were a few problems, but nothing major, and this movie really kicked ass. I didn't enjoy it as much as the first because of the high tempo of [and my heightened excitement to see] the first, but I still enjoyed it no end. It has a different pace to this one, but they kept the music the same, thank God for that.

A

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:28 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I'm glad it lived up to your expectations.

I have to say, though: I am a fan of these actors, and I swear, I just don't find these movies as fun as their best. I could watch, say, The Transporter or Unleashed or Bloodsport or T2 or the most recent Rambo any time and have a blast. I find the Expendables movies rather dull by comparison.

The final fight between Sly and JCVD should have been longer and more involved.

Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:44 am

Thegun wrote:
Hemsworth- He keeps the film from going off the rails, and that's important. If this went too "Machete" it wouldn't be as good.

:er:
:disgust: :disgust: :disgust:
completely wrong. Your grade is as ridiculous as this movie should've and failed to be.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:59 am
Pure Phase

Thegun, you going to let this pretentious hayseed badmouth you? Fight! Fight! Fight!

The Hemsworth character is definitely strange, though. So laborious to sit through long scenes introducing this character (the "soulful," "idealistic," "never-hurt-no-one" member of the brutal mercenary group) when Couture could have just died to set the generic revenge plot in motion.

Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:12 am
now we know

You wouldn't expect Hemsworth to die. Perhaps that's why they chose him.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:07 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next