Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Tintin Domestic Predictions 
Extraordinary

Post Re: Tintin Domestic Predictions
In this review by RT Super Reviewer Martin Bishop, my worst fears for this Tintin adaptation are realized:

Quote:
First and foremost, this could have been a decent movie, if not a good one.... IF it was done in live-action. But by going the horrible motion-capture route, they've made it mediocre at best. The world created here looks marvelous - the sets, the cinematography (if you call it that)... So much of what we see looks practically real... until you look at people's heads. Not just the zombie eyes (though those are still there) - but many of the characters look like live action people walking around with big oversized caricature masks over their heads. It's ridiculous, and not in a good way. There was absolutely no reason to do the film this way, and it kills it.

Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:55 pm
Extraordinary

Come on, you only managed to come up with these in all that time? Hell, i can find more negative reviews for any Pixar movie!

Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:11 pm
Forum General

Domestic = $120m
Overseas = $380m
Worldwide = $500m

I surrender who I've been for who you are
Nothing makes me stronger than your fragile heart
If I had only felt how it feels to be yours
I would have known what I've been living for all along
What I've been living for

Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:23 am
Extraordinary

Nazgul9 wrote:
Come on, you only managed to come up with these in all that time? Hell, i can find more negative reviews for any Pixar movie!

It's not another negative review that is the achilles heal of this movie - - it's the pointing out of the fatal error of doing it in mo-cap.

Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:52 am
The Lubitsch Touch

http://www.itsonthegrid.com/news/on-the ... acking-23/

Told ya.

In relevant part:
"THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN has almost shockingly low tracking numbers."

Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:18 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

bump in anticipation of "i told you so"

Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:49 pm
Extraordinary

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
The reviews are starting to come in...

Quote:
This is the ugliest film ever made.

1 out of 5.

- FT.com

Quote:
Hergé achieved more expression with his use of ink-spot eyes and humble line drawings than a bank of computers and an army of animators were able to achieve.

2 out of 5.

- The Guardian

I thought it was a very pretty picture visually. The characters had plenty of emotion and expression as well.

Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:08 pm
Extraordinary

I want this to do well, but realistically it may struggle to get to $75 m...

Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:36 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Damn I didn't expect to see so many high predictions on this movie considering the buzz for it is pretty low, but I guess with the talent involved it makes sense. Anyways, I'm going to be conservative with this one, but hopefully it has legs and doesn't bomb too badly.

:My Prediction:
$14M/$95M

Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:42 pm
Extraordinary

At this point i hope it at least breaks $100m. Not that i'm a big fan of the movie, but less than $100m would be kinda embarrassing.

Last edited by Nazgul9 on Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:47 pm
Veteran

Current top sellers on @Fandango - #DragonTattoo 29%, #MI4 21%, #Alvin 13%, #Sherlock 13%, #WarHorse 6%.

A Christmas Day opener that doesn't have the 3D surcharges and opens 4 days later beating this, doesn't bode well for it's domestic run.
This can't even crack the top 5 and it opens tomorrow. based on these factors, I don't even think it can't crack $20m 5-day (Wed-Sun) and it might even struggle to get to $100m in the long run. I agree with Wrongturn687's prediction total.

Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:47 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Almost every new review that comes out keeps lowering the RT rating.

The latest review from the Charlotte Observer notes:

Quote:
It’s handsome, hectic, heartless and hollow, a shiny Christmas box with nothing but glitter inside....

What works on the page seems exhausting onscreen, especially in the motion-capture animation used for “Tintin.” (The animators can make the wind ruffle individual hairs, but the zombie-eyed characters still lack humanity.)

Like the jokes and frenetic action, the entire movie is juvenile....

I would guess that's why they still don't have it listed under the "Opening" or "Coming Soon" banners on RT - - they're keeping the wraps on the bad news about this sick puppy till the last possible moment.

Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:03 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

I bet it doesn't top 40 million, all in.

Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:11 pm
Pure Phase

Such a bizarre release. So much pedigree--Spielberg, Peter Jackson--and it seems very commercial, with lots of adventure and comedy and an adorable dog, yet there does seem to be almost zero hype. A weird, "What if two of the most famous living directors collaborated on a big-budget animated adventure, and no one in America cared?" scenario.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:35 am
We had our time together

I'll lower my prediction to 95M. I'm really not feeling it. I could see even less too.

Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:17 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Motion Capture Animation just can't seem to find an audience.

And they cost so much to produce, I wonder that if Spielberg's Tintin fails to gross $100 million, if studios will even be interested in the format anymore.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:40 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Corpse wrote:
Motion Capture Animation just can't seem to find an audience.

Avatar did reasonably well - - but then James Cameron seems to be the only director obsessive enough to get it right.

Corpse wrote:
And they cost so much to produce, I wonder that if Spielberg's Tintin fails to gross $100 million, if studios will even be interested in the format anymore.

By the time Avatar 2 & 3 roll out, the technology will have further matured and been distributed in a manageable format to the less talented directors like Spielberg.

I retain hope.

Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:54 pm
Forum General

lol we always doubt Cameron, but he always makes films that GENERAL Audiences love.

Avatar 2 WW and even domestic performance will likley be much bigger than the Hobbit and TDK2.

Its going to be interesting, we should see a lot of records break and such over the next few years with all these massive releases.

Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:25 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Corpse wrote:
And they cost so much to produce

Less than your average Pixar movie.

Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:54 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Yes it is true that average Pixar movies are costlier but they make more (even Cars 2 made over $500m WW) so that does not help this argument.

I do agree that motion capture can be helpful at few of the places but then the film making IMO takes a lot of effort (as of now) which increases costs, plus it does not always look good when forced into movies like TinTin. I do think though that 3D works very well with this technique, cause most of the motion capture movies (excluding Avatar) that I have seen in 3D turned out great (including Mars Needs Moms, yeah I saw that stinker in 3D, cause there weren't any 2D screens :puke: )

Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:24 am
You must have big rats

Hmm with this Wednesday number...even with the BEST CASE scenario, I see no more than $80 million domestically...

Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:05 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Yeah this is missing $100m for sure with that opening. $150m+ is out of question.

Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:06 pm
Extraordinary

Gamaur wrote:
I'm seeing $300 million as a real shot, $350 million depending on buzz closer to release, and over $400 million if it's good enough to score more than 90% at rottentomatoes, has a super smart marketing campaign and insane word-of-mouth. Knowing Spielberg all of that is more than possible.

Funny, we haven't heard much from Gamaur lately.

Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:00 am
Indiana Jones IV

It was in motion capture. No need to say more. All those 150+ predictions were just out of this world.

Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:05 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

What is surprising to me is that movie might not even end up with $400m WW total in the end, while the chances are not yet over still given the current state it might reach only $330m-$340m WW total with US and holdover markets. If it really explodes in Australia and Mexico then it might chase down $400m WW total but otherwise it might not even reach that mark, that number for a sequel is quite troubling IMO.

Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next