Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 The Expendables 2 Predictions - Will it break out? 
You must have big rats

Post The Expendables 2 Predictions - Will it break out?
Release Date: August 17, 2012
Studio: Lionsgate
Director: Simon West
Cast: Sylvester Stallone, Jet Li, Jason Statham, Dolph Lundgre, Jean-Claude Van Damme, Chuck Norris, Bruce Willis, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Randy Couture, Terry Crews, Liam Hemsworth
Rating: N/A
Premise: Sylvester Stallone co-wrote, directed and starred in the first film, which earned $274.5 million in theaters worldwide last year. Except for Stallone returning in the role of Barney Ross, there has been no confirmations on who else may be reprising their roles or who may be added.

________________________________________________________________________________

The first movie opened to $34.8 million last year and had surprisingly great legs for the genre, making $103,068,524 in total. It almost hit the multiplier of 3 which is almost shocking for a film like this, making it Stallone's biggest film since Rocky IV in 1985!

One could argue that it was the novelty factor of this huge action cast coming together that helped it and that the success can't be repeated. However, I'd say it definitely helped the opening, but the WoM was good enough to give it unexpected legs. It also did fairly well on DVD, selling around 2.9 million units thus far. Of course it will not have that novelty factor again, so what Stallone needs to do is to recruit some more of the old action stars to join this film. It has already been said that Bruce Willis will likely have a much larger role as the film's villain and Arnie is supposed to come back too (hopefully). That alone should make up for the lack of the novelty.

Now if Stallone manages to recruit at least 2-3 more action oldies like Seagal, Chuck Norris, Van Damme, Wesley Snipes or maybe even Jackie Chan...it'll definitely bring the hype back. I assume we'll get a couple of those names.

So my early prediction:

Opening Weekend - $42 million

Total Gross - $105 million

Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:12 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: The Expendables 2 Predictions
I don't think it will increase in terms of OW and cross $100m mark this time.
I am thinking about $30m OW for a $75m-$80m total.

Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:27 pm
Forum General

Theres alot of talk of The Rock and Vin Diesel possibly being in this movie too and if you combine that amount starpower with a top of the line old school action cast than this thing is sure to be HUGE !. Like most sequels I expect this too have a big opening, but obviously weaker legs. For now I'll be more conservative until official casting goes down.

:My Prediction:
$43M OW / $107M DOM

Last edited by Dil on Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:28 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:58 pm
Veteran

After the success of Fast Five, I would think the inclusion of the Rock and Vin Diesel would push the opening closer to 60-65 million.

Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:00 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

If true (though I haven't read a single word about it), then it'll definitely open to $60+ million.

Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:18 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I seriosuly hope it happens, but we'll just have to wait and see. I know for a fact that The Rock wants to do it since he has been talking about it in interviews since last year. When the official casting is announced I will deffentially bump my predictions.

Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:26 pm
Forum General

The first movie sucked. I was expecting copius amounts of action, blood, filthy language and explosions. However, all i got was a drama movie with 2-3 meh setpieces.

Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:02 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Rumours are flying around about Chuck Norris, John Travolta, Bruce Willis and Jean Claude Van Damme filming their scenes in September in Europe. I hope these are not true and Chuck Norris doesn't get involved. It'll be a bad joke.

Cannot wait for this sequel. It's going to be memorably epic.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:54 am
Profile WWW

I definitely don't see an increase, it'll probably fall considerably. 25m OW 60m total.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:45 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Thats a pretty terrible multiplier, if anything the first film showed was that the older audiences are there. IF Bruce and Arnold serious higher performers, added to the fact the first film was well received, its an easy predictor.

44 open/ 115 close.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:48 am

I'm strong believer now, and keeping with Willis and Arnie with bigger roles and adding Van Damme and Norris will not hurt this film's chances.

Bourne Legacy will be in it's 3rd weekend, Resident Evil 5 doesn't come out until 4 weeks later. It has a chance to be a big player now.

47 open 130 Close
350 WW

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:04 pm
College Boy Z

55/134

Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:41 pm
Extraordinary

32/80

Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:52 pm
Forum General

so it would open to the original and get worse legs?

Anyways the fact that the trailer has gotten some great buzz and with all these actors that appear will have a much bigger part in the film.

I would be surprised for a sub 100 million gross.

Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:13 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Er, yeah, I don't see why it would gross less, especially opening weekend. Total, maybe, if it sucks.

Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:40 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I see a very similar to original's OW but worse legs.

Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:41 pm
Extraordinary

zingy wrote:
Er, yeah, I don't see why it would gross less, especially opening weekend. Total, maybe, if it sucks.

Who's checking this one out opening weekend who didn't last time? 'Cause I can show you quite a few who won't be showing up at all.

The Expendables is a film that audiences tolerated, not liked. It'll impact the sequel.

Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:52 am
Pure Phase

The Dark Shape is right, IMO.

The out-of-this-world novelty is largely depleted. This one is just a sequel to The Expendables.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:09 am
College Boy Z

I mean, there's tons of people I know who didn't catch it in theaters and loved it on DVD. And this time, they're upping the ante and making it even more badass than the first. So is there another reason why it'll drop?

Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:16 am

It had a B+ rating, and I've never met anyone that didn't really like it. Adding Norris and Van Dam and giving Arnold and Willis bigger roles are BIG additions. Also, Bridesmaids is the only R rated film to sell more DVDs since it's release, so I'm not finding anyone that isn't just as excited to see this one, add in a very weak marketplace, inflation, and fans the original picked up it really should do better.

And as said earlier, the marketplace will be completely dead. 3 weeks after a reboot action film, and 4 weeks before a limited action horror franchise.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:51 pm
Extraordinary

zingy wrote:
I mean, there's tons of people I know who didn't catch it in theaters and loved it on DVD. And this time, they're upping the ante and making it even more badass than the first. So is there another reason why it'll drop?

Nope. Just the same reasons Sherlock Holmes 2 will drop. Sequel nobody asked for to a film people weren't enthusiastic for, your friends notwithstanding. It's not going to tank, but you're kidding yourself if you think it's going to maintain that audience when the first flick did well based on a novelty.

Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:48 pm

The Dark Shape wrote:
zingy wrote:

Nope. Just the same reasons Sherlock Holmes 2 will drop. Sequel nobody asked for to a film people weren't enthusiastic for, your friends notwithstanding. It's not going to tank, but you're kidding yourself if you think it's going to maintain that audience when the first flick did well based on a novelty.

The exact same thing can be said for fast five.

Fast and Furious was nothing more than the original cast is back together. Fast Five had the exact same novelty but offered even more with the Rock (Whose not exactly the biggest draw on his own) But adding more testosterone caused that one to increase almost 33% domestically and almost doubled WW. It won't do as well here, but an increase is very possible. And fast and Furious was not better received than The Expendables before you start that.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:24 pm
Extraordinary

Thegun wrote:
The Dark Shape wrote:
zingy wrote:

Fast and Furious was nothing more than the original cast is back together. Fast Five had the exact same novelty but offered even more with the Rock (Whose not exactly the biggest draw on his own) But adding more testosterone caused that one to increase almost 33% domestically and almost doubled WW. It won't do as well here, but an increase is very possible. And fast and Furious was not better received than The Expendables before you start that.

Yes, it was. Higher Cinemascore grade, sold more DVDs.

Ignoring that, Fast Five added The Rock. Who is The Expendables adding? Audiences aren't going to turn out for Chuck Norris or Jean Claude Van Damme. You could argue Schwarzenegger, but they thought he was in the first one when they paid for it.

Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:35 pm
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

I always felt it was more a novelty. I think it could open bigger than the last film but top out at 75 million
Seagal also would have been a better choice than Norris and Van DAmme

Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:45 pm

The Dark Shape wrote:
Thegun wrote:
The Dark Shape wrote:
zingy wrote:

Yes, it was. Higher Cinemascore grade, sold more DVDs.

Ignoring that, Fast Five added The Rock. Who is The Expendables adding? Audiences aren't going to turn out for Chuck Norris or Jean Claude Van Damme. You could argue Schwarzenegger, but they thought he was in the first one when they paid for it.

Yeah, cause his last action film on his own made 23 million, before that his last starring role in a non family film 28 million (And that was a video game adaptation over 6 years ago) The Rock on his own is no bigger a draw than Statham. You're fooling yourself if you think otherwise, people wanted to see them fight. Chuck Norris has become a cultural Phenomenon, and has not been in a movie since it's happened other than his cameo in Dodgeball 7 years ago. And Arnold and Bruce talking vs. Arnold and Bruce shooting big guns is completely different. And Arnold is only more popular with his sex Scandal

Oh, and Fast Five has not sold more DVDs than The Expendables. 29 million vs. 46 million in Sales, Fast and Furious despite grossing 50 million more only beat Expendables by 7 million in DVD sales, there is certainliy more room to go. :thumbsup:

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next