Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Best Actor 2011 

Who will win?
George Clooney (The Descendants) 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
Brad Pitt (Moneyball) 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
Jean Dujardin (The Artist) 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
Demián Bichir (A Better Life) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Gary Oldman (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy) 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 6

Best Actor 2011 
You must have big rats

Post Best Actor 2011
This is very interesting...I see a good crop this year.

My current predictions:

Leonardo DiCaprio (J. Edgar)
Ryan Gosling (The Ides of March)
George Clooney (The Descendants)
Michael Fassbender (A Dangerous Method or Shame)
Jean Dujardin (The Artist)

Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:13 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Best Actor 2011
I don't know if Dujardin can get in. I think The Artist is just gonna be too outside-the-box for the Academy's tastes.

Oldman is definitely in. DiCaprio, Gosling, Clooney are also likely. Fassbender would be cool, but we'll see.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:32 am
You must have big rats

I expect Oldman to be the one to get the shaft in the competitive field. He's currently my #6, though.

The Artist is one of those films who might seem too different for BP, but it will be rewarded, so I see an actign nom as likely.

Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:51 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Fox Searchlight picked up Shame and is going to be giving it an end of the year release and will be campaigning for Fassbender. I'd be willing to bet he'll score a nomination.

Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:44 pm
Sbil

Leonardo DiCaprio, J. Edgar
Jean Dujardin, The Artist
Michael Fassbender, A Dangerous Method
Ryan Gosling, The Ides of March
Gary Oldman, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

If Moneyball's reviews continue being as good as they currently are, Brad Pitt certainly has a strong shot as well.

Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:23 pm
Devil's Advocate

I don't trust Clint to make a good movie at all anymore, with his reputation as a one scene guy + being old as fuck, I'm guessing J. Edgar comes off as lazy as his last handful

Gary Oldman is at the exact point in his career where they give you an Oscar. I'm guessing he takes it

Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:52 pm
Where will you be?

Not only has Fox Searchlight picked up Shame, but Michael Fassbender won the Best Actor award at Cannes. If they give it an Oscar-qualifying run I'd say he's in for that > A Dangerous Method, where reviewers seem to be praising Knightley and Mortensen more.

Brad Pitt, Moneyball or Leonardo DiCaprio, J. Edgar
George Clooney, The Descendants
Jean Dujardin, The Artist or Michael Fassbender. Shame
Gary Oldman, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
Someone totally lame.

Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:45 am
loyalfromlondon

MovieDude wrote:
Not only has Fox Searchlight picked up Shame, but Michael Fassbender won the Best Actor award at Cannes.

Venice. Dujardin won at Cannes.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:45 am
Pure Phase

Christopher Plummer is amazing as John Barrymore per Jeffrey Wells, so he could be a top contender, but the movie seems WAY low-profile. There's not even any information on IMDb beyond the bare minimum.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:57 am
Wallflower

Gosling should definitely end up getting nominated for The Ides of March. He's hotter this year than he's ever been. I think a decent amount of people felt he was snubbed last year for Blue Valentine and after acclaimed turns in Crazy, Stupid, Love, Drive, and The Ides of March, he is getting a nomination.

Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:02 am
You must have big rats

Gosling and Fassbender are having amazing years. Gosling with The Ides of March, Drive and Crazy, Stupid, Love. Fassbender with X-Men: First Class, A Dangerous Method and Shame.

Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:47 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Michael Fassbender will get in for Shame and not A Dangerous Method based on reactions at TIFF. Clooney's The Descendants and The Artist are also getting great, great reactions at TIFF so think they have some great momentum going into the Oscar season. Gosling should get in for one of his two films as well. Imo Fassbender and Clooney are the only locks at this point...

The Artist becoming a big crowd pleaser at TIFF though, so you never know!

Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:12 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Gosling will definitely get in, unless he splits votes over Drive and The Ides of March. I'd say Dujardin, Clooney, Fassbender and Gosling all look very likely at this point with Clooney being the only absolute lock.

Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:11 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

The race for noms is going to be SO close. Dujardin, Clooney, Oldman, Gosling, Pitt, Fassbender and DiCaprio should all be in a good position. Difficult to see which one of these will miss out. I suppose Clooney is the safest now and DiCaprio should get in unless something goes really wrong with that film.

I don't think Plummer can make it in for Barrymore over these. He'll get his Supporting nod for Beginners, though.

Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:06 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Okay, looking at Moneyball's reviews and likely good box-office...Pitt is in. The Tree of Life's acclaim will just help his cause, I think. Now we've got two locks, IMO, Pitt and Clooney.

Fassbender might suffer from having votes split between A Dangerous Method and Shame.

Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:28 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I honestly feel, despite his great year, Gosling is going to just miss. Because his fans in the Academy will be split between Drive and The Ides of March. The former is, we're almost all presuming, too violent and quirky for many tastes, particularly older people. Yet The Ides of March, while a good film and certainly more in line with usual Academy preferences, isn't quite powerful or major enough to secure him a spot in the five. He's definitely in a grey-ish zone.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:15 pm
Where will you be?

Agreed. We've seen people survive split votes, like Leonardo di Caprio in 2006 or Kate Winslet in 2008. But Gosling seems like he's still a few years away from being in that caliber, and unless he dies or goes crazy his day will almost certainly come.

Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:28 am
Extraordinary

I don't know if its just me, but Moneyball seems to be losing a lot of momentum. I don't think Pitt is a sure thing...

Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:08 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Moneyball is losing some steam as the legs have been just good instead of great like The Social Network. However, Pitt will be the last one to be affected IMO. It'll miss out BP and BAS before Pitt's lock status gets challenged.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:40 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

It's definitely between:

Clooney
DiCaprio
Dujardin
Fassbender
Oldman
Pitt

Gosling is out. Drive is too quirky/violent/small, and The Ides of March isn't connecting in a big enough way. A few people are still keeping Michael Shannon in the conversation, but Take Shelter doesn't seem to have the requisite crossover heat. More of an Indie Spirits type deal.

Clooney and Dujardin aren't going to miss. Pitt is incredibly strong. DiCaprio, too, unless the film goes the way of Flags of Our Fathers/Hereafter in terms of reviews.

A battle between Fassbender and Oldman for spot five, I s'pose.

It's interesting how no one ever, ever brings up Daniel Craig. Dragon Tattoo is being discussed as a strong possibility in Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actress, and Best Adapted Screenplay, but I've never even seen anyone float the idea of Craig swiping a fourth or fifth spot in the Best Actor lineup. I know it's not the flashiest role, particularly sharing the screen with Lisbeth, but still...

Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:59 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

David wrote:

Clooney and Dujardin aren't going to miss. Pitt is incredibly strong. DiCaprio, too, unless the film goes the way of Flags of Our Fathers/Hereafter in terms of reviews.

That's exactly what's going to happen.

Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:06 pm
Wallflower

I don't think Gosling will get in either anymore.

Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:34 pm
Pure Phase

He is way out now. :P

It's:

1. Clooney
2. Dujardin
3. DiCaprio
4. Pitt
5. Fassbender
6. Oldman
7. Shannon
8. Harrelson
9. Gosling

I s'pose there's also the child from Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close? Rudin would, in most cases, push him in supporting, Hailee Steinfeld style, but EL&IC already has a very strong supporting contender in Max von Sydow.

Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:50 pm
Wallflower

Johnny Dollar wrote:
David wrote:

That's exactly what's going to happen.

It did, but I still see DiCaprio getting in even with the mixed reviews. Will likely score some technical noms too.

Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:25 am
Pure Phase

DiCaprio is mostly out at this point, IMO. No one loves J. Edgar. It's already a bit of a distant memory, isn't it? With Dujardin, Fassbender, Oldman, Harrelson all heating up, in addition to Clooney and Pitt, and DiCaprio not campaigning since he's Down Under filming Gatsby, I can't see him staying in the race for much longer.

Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next