Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Help 

What grade would you give this film?
A 73%  73%  [ 8 ]
B 18%  18%  [ 2 ]
C 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 11

The Help 
loyalfromlondon

Post The Help
The Help

Quote:
The Help is a 2011 comedy-drama film adaptation of Kathryn Stockett's 2009 novel of the same name about a young white woman, Skeeter Phelan, and her relationship with two black maids during Civil Rights era America in early 1960s. The film is Tate Taylor's directorial debut, and stars Emma Stone, Mike Vogel, Bryce Dallas Howard, Viola Davis, Octavia Spencer, and Allison Janney.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:35 pm
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Post Re: The Help
Interesting how this movie "The Help" is garnering such great reviews, yet not 1 review from anyone here and with 26 views.. How good can this possibly be if no one here is seeing this for as much as you folks bring it up?? :-k

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:02 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

You'd have to see the movie to know if it's good. So the fact that nobody's seen it cannot possibly mean it's not good.

Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:46 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

The Dark Shape wrote:
You'd have to see the movie to know if it's good. So the fact that nobody's seen it cannot possibly mean it's not good.

Yeah, but it doesn't help for as often as it's brought up.. I'm fairly certain though Libs will be giving her review of it since she did say she was seeing it sunday.. Come to think of it, I think Libs was probably the only one that wanted to see it which would be the reason why there's no reviews posted..

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:23 am
Profile WWW
Sbil

I have seen it and it's absolutely wonderful. Just haven't posted a review yet.

And I was not the "only one" who wanted to see it, obviously, judging by the box office returns. It's just that it's a movie with a heavily female audience and obviously this forum is not running rampant with women.

Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:27 am
Forum General

I saw it and it was really great!

and for me > she was my favorite in the movie > Octavia Spencer playing Minny Jackson

PS. Watching Emma Stone, in this and Crazy Love, she looked alot like a Lindsay Lohan years past her look in Parent Trap. LOL, As Emma is having the career, Lohan should have had!

Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:37 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

My uncle saw it and said it was Oscar worthy.

So I may see it.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:55 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I wanted to see it last weekend but didn't get a chance. Will probably see it during the week or this coming weekend. It looks great.

Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:24 pm
Profile YIM
Sbil

The film version of The Help is just as moving and emotional as Kathryn Stockett's novel, with the added bonus of an ensemble cast of sensational actresses. These are rich, layered parts for women, and The Help is a wonderful display of that. There are times it seems noticeable this is writer/director Tate Taylor's first major film, but he clearly knows this material inside and out (which makes sense, given his connection to Stockett). Even despite that, Taylor's attention to period detail is exquisite. It really felt like 1960s Mississippi. But this film's ensemble, certainly the best in any film so far this year, all deserve individual notice. Emma Stone, showing up in a drama for the first time in recent memory, is delightful as the idealistic Skeeter (I'm beginning to think this girl can do no wrong; we already know she's a talented comedienne, but The Help shows her dramatic acting chops). Octavia Spencer, after years of being a character actress, finally gets her breakout role with Minny and delivers in spades. A totally charismatic performance full of personality. Jessica Chastain, in a performance much different than the one she gave in The Tree of Life, is stupendous and absolutely lovable (the Oscar talk has mostly been for Davis/Spencer, but I'd argue Chastain deserves recognition too). Bryce Dallas Howard certainly has the most "cartoonish" role as the utterly hateable Hilly, but she does a great job. Allison Janney takes her relatively small role as Skeeter's mother and runs away with it, while Sissy Spacek is a hoot and Cicley Tyson is responsible for one of the film's most emotional moments. But while all these women are amazing, it's Viola Davis that is the glue that holds The Help together. This is a performance that wins awards because it is so natural and unaffected, hype aside. When Aibileen repeatedly tells the young girl in her care that "you is smart, you is kind, you is important," our hearts ache for this woman because it's clear that no one has ever said this to her. And while the character is well-written to begin with, Davis truly brings her to life. This story has received criticism because it is perceived as another "white savior" story about white people being taught to change their ways and/or "save" the African-Americans. That is not what this is. The Help is about courage and simply the power of opening up emotionally, and only uses the civil rights movement as a backdrop to tell its story. A

Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:34 am
Pure Phase

Libs, will you marry me?

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:18 pm
Forum General

Wow. Beats the Apes movie to be the #1 movie of the day.

Not that it is all Emma Stone, but good for her!

Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:29 am
---------

I actually... loved it too. Felt very original considering the basic plot. Every character was well constructed and acted very well. My only negative against it was Emma Stone's boyfriend. It seemed implausible she would ever be with him in the first place, and he didn't serve much purpose to the story. Still, definitely an A- from me.

Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:53 pm
Forum General

It is by far the best movie I've seen so far this year. The entire cast is great and many of them are Oscar worthy. Funny, smart, emotional. Just a wonderful movie and I couldn't recommend it enough. I'll probably actually end up seeing it again in theaters.

9/10

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:59 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

Great storyline, superb acting (deserve multiple Oscar noms); intimate and made me emotional without being preachy. As crowd-pleasing as a film gets. A.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:10 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

This was fantastic. Equal parts funny and heartbreaking. Stone, Spencer, Chastain and especially Viola Davis all deserve Oscar nominations. Definitely one of the best movies of the year so far. A

Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:16 am
Profile YIM
Sbil

Saw it again yesterday. Just as good the second time.

Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:54 am
Forum General

Some people are just so clueless. I had a customer at my video store ask me if The Help was on DVD yet. :wacko:

Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:34 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Great movie! I agree that it's emotional without being preachy. The ending was heartbreaking and made me cry. A lot of great performances here. I'm glad it's such a hit. Highly recommended!

9/10 (A or A-, not sure)

Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:54 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

There were a lot of tearjerking moments here, but I agree that the end was definitely one of the saddest. Then of course the whole storyline with Constantine and the scene where Aibeleen talks about her son.

Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:44 pm
Profile YIM
Pure Phase

A film with certain qualities, including strong performances by Viola Davis, Emma Stone, Bryce Dallas Howard, Octavia Spencer, and Jessica Chastain, but many flaws, too. For one, at well over two hours, it is far too long. There are entire subplots and side characters--the pointless love interest for Stone's character, for example--which could have easily been excised without negatively impacting the overall film one tiny bit. There's also just a general sense of...strangulation. As if the movie is grabbing hold of these intense issues and wrestling them to the floor, insistent on shredding them and producing a series of nice, bite-sized, feel-bad-to-feel-good Hollywood movie scenes, with one-note villains and damn near perfect heroes and a general accessibility and smoothness. I'll give it this, though: the audience ate it up. Huge laughs, tons of sniffles, even a few enthusiastic, "DAMN!"s during key confrontations.

I hate, hate, hate the "Eat my shit" subplot. It nearly ruins the Spencer character for me. I don't care how grossly racist the Bryce Dallas Howard villain is; she. fed. her. feces. Come on now. She was just as bad then. How gross.

C+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:36 pm
Forum General

I like these kinds of movies and I can see why they are successful.

Starting with the Blind Side mega success and a the Help in 2011, and Remember the Titans over a decade ago it appears audiences like films to be have positive messages if they are about racism and frankly I do not generally enjoy films like Precious even though it was realistic and in your face.

These are nice family films that are able to give good lesson about racism and about life just as effectively as more darker films.

About the film it self, it was long but a very well made film. Great characters, Emma Stone played her role well and the two main Black Actresses. The story was great and very emotional as well especially with Constantine.

I like these kinds of films and more should be made and audiences as whole love them as well.

This film has a lot of people criticizing because its a PG, perhaps they wanted to see some lynchings and rape, but there have been many films of that nature made before. I just hate it how people think a film about racism has to be all dark and depressing.

Last edited by Mannyisthebest on Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:20 pm
Profile WWW
---------

Mannyisthebest wrote:
Starting with the Blind Side mega success and a the Help in 2011, and Clash of the Titans over a decade ago it appears audiences like films to be have positive messages if they are about racism and frankly I do not generally enjoy films like Precious even though it was realistic and in your face.

:whaa: I totally missed the racial overtones in that movie.

Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:40 pm
Pure Phase

I still can't get over the pie bit. Octavia Spencer's character is a disgusting pig and just as bad if not worse than Bryce Dallas Howard's.

Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:52 pm
Sbil

David wrote:
I still can't get over the pie bit. Octavia Spencer's character is a disgusting pig and just as bad if not worse than Bryce Dallas Howard's.

This is in no way accurate.

Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:53 pm
Pure Phase

Being racist...feeding another person your shit...seems fairly equal to me.

Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next