Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Nowhere Boy 

What grade would you give this film?
A 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
B 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Nowhere Boy 
loyalfromlondon

Post Nowhere Boy
Nowhere Boy

Quote:
Nowhere Boy is a 2009 British-Canadian biopic about John Lennon's adolescence, the creation of his first band, The Quarrymen, and its evolution into The Beatles.

The drama tells the story of Lennon's teenage years and the start of his journey to becoming a successful musician. The story also examines the impact on his early life and personality of the two dominant females in his childhood – his Aunt Mimi, and his mother, Julia. In addition, the film shows the first meeting of Lennon with future Beatle Paul McCartney, and the development of their friendship and musical partnership. British actor Aaron Johnson portrays Lennon, and Thomas Brodie Sangster plays Paul McCartney. Aunt Mimi is portrayed by Kristin Scott Thomas and Anne-Marie Duff plays Julia.

The film is scheduled to receive its US release on October 8, 2010, coinciding with that weekend's celebrations of the 70th anniversary of Lennon's birth (October 9, 1940).

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:32 pm
The Wall

Post Re: Nowhere Boy
7/10 -> B-

It's a very good movie. The performances in it are really good (especially Aaron Johnson in lead role), but I'm afraid that for me Lennon's childhood isn't the most interesting biographic story I've seen. I did feel like the movie was a bit cold at times and the feeling didn't fit with the whole rock'n'roll and rebellious youth setting. Take out the fact this is Lennon we're talking about and this is pretty much a straight growing up/identity drama we've seen before and there are better ones. Last year's similar An Education was a much more compelling piece with slightly better performances.

Luckily the movie doesn't use the fact this is Lennon's childhood to cheap effects of using Beatles songs and Lennon's popularity to somehow prop up the movie in unnecessary kitsch. I actually give it credits for being an earnest look at the subject matter.

Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:45 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

I kinda don't understand how you say it is a "very good movie", yet give it a B-, heh.

Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:38 am
Profile WWW
The Wall

F= bad
D= passable
C= good
B= very good
A= excellent

Those would be descriptive grades on my letter/number grades. Thus B- is still very good. :thumbsup:

Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:08 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

A nice film. Despite its subject matter--John Lennon's turbulent youth and the formation of the Beatles--it's closer in feel to An Education or the underrated Cemetery Junction than The Doors or Almost Famous. Which is to say it's a compact and elegant British coming-of-age drama. There are a few pop culture references laced throughout--the film begins with "A Hard Day's Night"’s iconic opening guitar chord, Lennon is seen learning "Maggie Mae" (the traditional Liverpool folk song later heard on Let It Be)--but, for the most part, the film steers clear of the iconic and concentrates on universal emotions. The word "Beatle" is never even said.

Aaron Johnson delivers a solid performance. There is no striking resemblance between the late Beatle and the Kick-Ass star, but he nails the voice and, for the most part, the wry attitude we associate with Lennon. Kristin Scott Thomas, as the level-headed, stern aunt who raised Lennon, and Anne-Marie Duff, as his real mother, the mercurial Julia, are both superb. Though I wonder how close the film version of Julia is to the real Julia. She is depicted as a full-on undiagnosed manic depressive, and there is also a potent sexual undercurrent in several of her scenes with John and his teenage friends; the film never addresses it, but I am confident it's intentional. The other performance of note is Thomas Sangster, very good as young Paul McCartney. I wish there were more scenes between him and Johnson's Lennon.

Overall, this is a good movie. It won't blow minds, but it doesn't seem to want to. It delivers an entertaining, well-acted portrait of the artist as a young man and will be of particular interest to Beatles fans.

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:48 am
Extraordinary

Where in the hell was Ringo?!? :busted:

In a sudden unexpected resurgence in the popularity of the glossy docudrama this Fall, comes the one-two punch of The Social Network and Nowhere Boy.

Fortunately, the latter is a far better film...

...at least for the first four-fifths of it's running time.

Nowhere Boy gives it the old college try, but impotently can't quite finish the job. (Perhaps best, given it's Oedipal urges.) The final act betrays the preceding vibrant energy with which a life is given life.

Still, I enjoyed the damn thing... :wacko:

The period music, for one thing, was spec-frackin-tac-ular!

The performances were solid apery all around.

The art direction was spot on.

It's just that unlike it's famous subject, this film can't quite sustain the driven rhythm till the end...

4 out of 5.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:19 am
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
Bradley Witherberry wrote:
Where in the hell was Ringo?!? :busted:

Hahahahaaha.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:46 am
Profile WWW

Dr. Lecter wrote:
I kinda don't understand how you say it is a "very good movie", yet give it a B-, heh.

I think more boggling would be how Gunslinger gives 99% of the movies he sees a B+ or better.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:16 pm
Pure Phase

Michael A wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:

I think more boggling would be how Gunslinger gives 99% of the movies he sees a B+ or better.

Oh, fuck off. :)

If you want to argue a specific point regarding Nowhere Boy, or any other movie I happen to love/enjoy, then fine, have at it. Otherwise, well, re-read what I said above.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:16 am
Wallflower

NOWHERE BOY - 8/10 (A-)

Loved this! Aaron Johnson and Anne-Marie Duff were fantastic.

Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:21 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

Nowhere Boy may not be full of music, but it is a strong chronicle of John Lennon's teenage life. After playing a quirky, nerdy teen in Kick-Ass, Aaron Johnston definitely shows his acting chops here as the young Lennon. It keeps its humor in there, but when the film gets very serious it keeps its impact. It keeps shocks coming, even if you know Lennon's story, and its ending is heartwarming. Not growing up personally with The Beatles, I still found this film to be one of the best music based ones in recent time. A definite film to check out on DVD. ***1/2

Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:57 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]