Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Scott Pilgrim vs. the World 

What grade would you give this film?
A 65%  65%  [ 17 ]
B 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
C 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
D 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
F 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 26

Teenage Dream

Post Re: Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
Magnus wrote:

And the more I think about it, the more I'm bothered by the constant video-game sounds. They don't mean anything. There's no relation between most of the sounds of the games to the film. Anyone can just drop the Zelda theme in their film; but to make it mean anything requires more.

i think you sort of nailed it here.

this movie is a big nothing.

Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:41 am
Where will you be?

Yeah, it's just a big vat of excellently timed pop culture references, like a Tarantino movie!

Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:53 pm
Where will you be?

Scott Pilgrim > Kill Bill, imo.

I found the audial cues to add to the jokes already on-screen. Many moments, like the survey of who owns what in Scott's 'home' demonstrated the relationship between the characters.

And yes, some of the edits and gags existed simply to please. What's wrong with that?

Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:23 pm
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
I skipped two of the fights.

Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:58 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

I liked this so much in the movie theatre, but I tried rewatching the DVD and it was not unlike going to the dentist

luckily it was not my dvd

Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:42 pm
College Boy T

Johnny Dollar wrote:
I liked this so much in the movie theatre, but I tried rewatching the DVD and it was not unlike going to the dentist

luckily it was not my dvd

i'm so confused

i was sort of underwhelmed. it was more of a B (or 8/10) than an A (or 9/10) to me. i've never liked michael cera (outside of that scene in superbad where he sings these eyes) bc he's such a nerd v2.1, so that might've been why

also did not like gedeon

the girl was cool though. i might fight one not-so-evil ex for her if she kept her hair a consistent color and also bought clothes at j. crew and brooks brothers

would watch 30 minutes of it on HBO if it were on, i had nothing to do, and my kindle were in the other room, but i wouldn't buy it

Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:18 pm
Forum General

What a lolworthy thread.

Everyone has different opinions and we don't agree. Whoop-dee-doo something revolutionary!

The most inane here has to be Savage yet again, lumping everyone into his suck-up/wannabe mantra.

I wanted to love/like this movie but I couldn't. Like MGCasey and jmart said, you don't like Pilgrim so ultimately you don't care what happens to him.

I loved the roommate and most of the cast but enough of Michael fucking Cera. He pulls the same awkward loser bullshit in every movie. It worked once in Superbad it doesn't work anymore. The character is already not written endearingly and with this kind of cult movie you need the main character to be because no one else is going to care. It also avoids a lot of plot problems by editing and whilst the editing is fantastic IMO it doesn't help the overall plot. Going further into the character itself, why would either of the girls like him? Also the fact that he simply attained all his 'superpowers' immediately whilst fighting Patel is nonsensical and in a movie where video games and real life blends simultaneously that's a problem. To repeat once again, Cera can't act and his character is a douche. He acts like a wuss, loser and asshole all at the same time it's incredulous why anyone would want to root for him.

At the end, the movie is all about style over substance and whilst it works for a one time showing I certainly won't revisit it. I still look forward to Wright's next movie whatever that may be because I don't really find him at fault here, I thought the direction, editing and most else was pretty good but the script is weak and Cera is terrible as usual. The worse part is the more you see him the more you dislike him so if I had seen this sooner before Youth in Revolt maybe but I didn't. I also didn't like the music the band plays- Bandslam had better band music, but whatever.

B

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:24 pm
Profile WWW

BK wrote:
What a lolworthy thread.

Everyone has different opinions and we don't agree. Whoop-dee-doo something revolutionary!

The most inane here has to be Savage yet again, lumping everyone into his suck-up/wannabe mantra.

Because acknoweldging the fact that some people on this site have more film knowledge and ability to judge it is sucking up? I will admit I want to be more like yoshue, makeshift, kypade, trixster, and loyal. They have a great knowledge base of film and are excellent at analyzing it and understanding it. Also this mentality of "everyone disagrees so just forget it" is fucking idiotic. Sure, matters will sometimes boil down to taste, but there are reasons and thoughts behind those opinions and talking about them is the purpose of a site like this.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:36 pm
Forum General

Michael, who is the fellow in your avatar?

Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:20 pm
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
Michael A wrote:
I will admit I want to be more like yoshue, makeshift, kypade, trixster, and loyal.

Aaahahahahahaah!

Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:54 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Magnus wrote:
Jiffy wrote:
Michael, who is the fellow in your avatar?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0281724/

He's very aesthetically displeasing. I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't a self-portrait before bringing my disgust to light.

Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:13 pm
Devil's Advocate

Was liking it for the first 25 minutes, but it just dies for me once the fights start. Marginal utility... a 7-10 minute fight scene like that will work for me the first time. Having 7 of them is a complete bore and the craft of them is not interesting enough to carry it. It's the exact feeling of watching a video game instead of playing it. And since the fights dominate the film, there's really nothing else interesting happening plot wise in the non fight parts after the opening, either.

Didn't like how they build up the Envy character and then completley forget about her post Vegan fight

The league of exes idea was a good one, but I think it'd have been more interesting if they operated as a unit and were in the same scenes. A plot more like... Ramona gets captured and taking to evil ex HQ... then Scott and co. have to infiltrate and get her back and fight the 7 on the way. Obviously a completely different movie but that's a much, much cleaner and time freeing plot than Scott having 7 monotonous fights in a row which were dull on their own and also eliminated any time for the rest of the film. Part of the reason they were so uninteresting is the villains had no other screentime. Give them more screentime and it becomes more interesting when they fight Scott, IMO

Or maybe they just needed more creativity or wit in the fight scenes. Better actors perhaps. Either way, they really don't work.

C+

Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:07 pm

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, soitwasprettymuchthemostcreativemovieoftheyear...................but Edgar Wright is going to receive, once again, no credit besides several pats on the back.

Oh well, it is slightly style heavy, but then that's sorta the point.

A

Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:06 am
Extraordinary

Scott Pilgrim - - the love-hate movie champion of 2010!

Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:27 am
Teenage Dream

lol

Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:28 am
We had our time together

After all the praise I've heard I expected much more. Like Shack said, it's entertaining for the first half hour but once the fights start it becomes boring and repetitive as hell. D+

Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:54 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Well, um, that was weird. I'm not really sure what to make of it other than knowing that I never want to watch it again. It was certainly an exercise in exploring the possibilities of film. It was beautifully artistic in a game-comicbook fashion, and I commend it on that level. I also think that Michael Cera is a sort of genious of delivery, and the movie had some great pieces of dialogue and interesting ideas of how to convey certain messages. But overall I didn't like the style of the movie and it was just too loose and unpredictable. It was too manic and just flat-out weird, and the gimmicks got tiresome after about half the movie. I thought Knives Chau was fucking hot, though.

Chris Evans did a good job. I was surprised to see Thomas Jane. Ramona was incredibly annoying and I couldn't understand why Pilgrim was so in love with her, she was a miserable bitch for the entire movie.

C-

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:34 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

I love this movie.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:42 pm

Chippy wrote:
I love this movie.

:watsup:

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:55 am
Extraordinary

I love this movie too. (Michael Cera was totally wrong for this though...)

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:56 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

BRIE LARSON WAS THE EX GIRLFRIEND?!?!?

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:19 pm
The Kramer

Nah its still the greatest.

Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:17 pm
Killing With Kindness

Magnus wrote:
this movie is still mediocre

bs :disgust:

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Nah its still the greatest.

truth :thumbsup:

Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:54 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

So I just rewatched this and I gotta say... it doesn't hold up. The two people that we should care for, Scott and Ramona, are annoying and you don't really root for them to be together. Still love the humor, attention to detail and style of the film though.

Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:12 pm
You must have big rats

Magnus wrote:
this movie is still mediocre

Yup

Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:15 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next