Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Night of the Living Dead (1990) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Night of the Living Dead (1990) 

Post Night of the Living Dead (1990)
Night of the Living Dead

Quote:
Night of the Living Dead is a 1990 American remake of George A. Romero's 1968 horror film of the same name and was directed by Tom Savini. Romero rewrote the original 1968 screenplay co-authored by John A. Russo.

Another remake would follow in 2006, titled Night of the Living Dead 3-D; however, none of the original cast or crew had anything to do with it.

This version of the story offers multiple, albeit never confirmed, causes for the zombie apocalypse, including a prison break and a chemical spill. Other theories include depletion of the ozone layer, the use of chemical weapons, voodoo, aliens, and a new kind of virus, although it is stated that it is unknown how the disease could have appeared in all corners of the world at the same time.

Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:14 pm
Profile WWW
problem?

Post Re: Night of the Living Dead [1990]
I prefer this to the original Night for many reasons. First and foremost, color! It's much scarier seeing the zombies' pale grey or greenish skin, all the blood and the gore. The black and white in the original just always seemed to take away from some of the tension. Another reason I prefer this to the original, Barbara isn't a vegetable that sits on the couch for 45 minutes then runs out and dies. When I watch this, I enjoy seeing her transformation from mousy Librarian weakling to man-pants wearing, shotgun toting badass. Her transformation seems real, like what any person in her place would go through because of the events. And I like the ending, with the music and photos of the hillbillies and the zombies.

I don't think the original is bad or anything, I still do like it. But whenever I get into a Romero zombie trilogy mood, I always watch the Night remake and then the original Dawn and then Day. There's just something about this movie that strikes a chord with me. It's probably because this was the first movie I saw in the of the Dead series, back when I was 7 in 1995. It introduced me to the world of zombies. It's one of my favorite movies.

Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:04 pm
The Wall

Post Re: Night of the Living Dead (1990)
7/10 -> B-

It's a well made remake. It was also the very first Living Dead movie I ever saw so I have fond memories of it.

Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:33 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

It's too dumbed down. It really doesn't have a point to it until the final 10 minutes and it's not saying anything new from the original. I wouldn't have had a problem with that so much if the film was at least a little gory. It's R-rated and it doesn't work. I actually can't remember there being any gore to speak of. What's the point in making a zombie movie if you don't have some nice gore to go along with it? And considering Tom Savini directed this that's just unacceptable.

It's also never good to have your main character point out the film's biggest flaw. If the characters can run right past the zombies, why don't they? At least with the original it felt like there were many of them. Here they're just spread out and walking slowly. Grab a lighter or make a torch and start running.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:21 am
Profile WWW
The Wall

Jmart007 wrote:
t's also never good to have your main character point out the film's biggest flaw.

It works in the context of paranoia, especially if you consider what she says next when the black guy gives her a look.

Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:56 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

I actually think this is a really good remake. One of the better horror remakes, IMO. Sure it's not the original, but it works regardless.

8/10 (B+)

Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]