Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole 

What grade would you give this film?
A 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
B 71%  71%  [ 5 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

loyalfromlondon

Post Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole

Quote:
Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole is a 2010 American-Australian computer-animated fantasy film based on the first three books of the Guardians of Ga'Hoole series by Kathryn Lasky. Zack Snyder directed the film, with Jim Sturgess, Geoffrey Rush, Emily Barclay, Helen Mirren, Ryan Kwanten, Anthony LaPaglia, and David Wenham voicing the characters.

Warner Bros. distributed the film with the Australian companies Village Roadshow Pictures and Animal Logic, the latter having produced visual effects for Happy Feet. Production took place in Australia, and the film was released in RealD 3D and IMAX 3D on September 24, 2010.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:09 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Re: Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole
Legend of the Guardians proves that no matter if its live-action or animation, Zach Synder can not make a good film. This is evident in Guardians where the only highlight is the animation but even that isn't as great as other animated films this year like How to Train Your Dragon, Toy Story 3, or even Despicable Me. The script is very bland and falls into typical plot scenarios that it is another borefest and at times feels too desperate. The film also has trouble deciding whether it wants to be a family film or a gritty PG one. Plus even with animation Zach Synder still finds a way to overuse and bore out the use of slow motion. Some parts of slow motion are so useless while others just scream "Look how cool all this stuff is!" The 3D has its ups and downs but a good bit of the time its used in the action scenes, it's used as a stupid "poking/try to grab" 3D which will hurt when someone views it in 2D. It is one of the weakest animated films as of lately and ends up falling more into 9 and Battle of Terra category then some of the past couple of years greats. *

Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:30 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

What a horribly bad review but the bias against Snyder is too great for a proper one. It is clear Snyder is a divisive filmmaker and I happen to fall under the positive reception category. (having only seen bits of 300, this and Watchmen)

This was a near fantastic movie IMO. Obviously it has done itself a disadvantage by trying to push the edge on what a family movie is yet still tries to appeal to those that will make it a monetary success whilst being a movie about photo-realistic fantastical owls. I really do hope this makes money and that animation can be seen as a medium, but then, if Pixar hasn't done it, it will never change. I can see the bias against it from miles away; it's a kids movie because it's animation, the characters are too realistic, it's a kids movie it shouldn't have violence etc not to mention that fantasy has consistently failed in the US if not named Potter or Rings. I guess this has turned into a semi-rant but I can't wait until the domestic BO is not the forefront of whether a movie is made or considered a success because clearly it inhibits what is allowed to be made yet still manages to create so many bullshit comedies including the latest Vampires Suck.

Anyway on the movie itself, it is gorgeous and is definitely the best I've seen this year and sweeps Avatar out of the park. It's 3D use was great even if some gimmicky wings appeared now and again. I enjoyed the voicework and the storyline as well. I guess the US just doesn't like fantasy storylines though I have no idea why. My only problem with it was that it was a little short. If only people were more receptive of animation not being for kids then it could have been made longer and more fleshed out because I felt some characters were held back by having to keep within a timeframe suitable for the young brats. Still, it is LOTR-esque and I loved it. I guess my rant is a bit misguided since I don't know exactly how it will perform but we all know why what decisions were made to get to this stage. I'd also like to point out the bullshit present in the RT submissions, but then, no one cares about RT, so it's alright.

Remember this is all opinion and I tend to like animation/fantasy more than most on this site, just as some do with comedies, Apatow, superheroes, Cameron and being contrarian.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:58 am
Profile WWW
Ocarina of Time

if it is better than bee movie and specially from Surf´s up, I'll give it a chance

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:12 am
Forum General

What does that even mean? Bee Movie sucked so bad even Madagascar was better than it and Surf's Up is the most underrated CGI movie out there.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:40 am
Profile WWW
The Incredible Hulk

jmovies wrote:
This is evident in Guardians where the only highlight is the animation but even that isn't as great as other animated films this year like How to Train Your Dragon, Toy Story 3, or even Despicable Me.

I don't think this looks very good at all but I cannot believe this remark for one second. The animation looks, based on clips and trailers (which I have seen in 3D at the theatre), monumentally better than any animated CGI flick to come before it.

Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:43 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Yeah, the animation is great. The amount of detail in the film is pretty amazing.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:49 am
Profile WWW
Ocarina of Time

BK wrote:
What does that even mean? Bee Movie sucked so bad even Madagascar was better than it and Surf's Up is the most underrated CGI movie out there.

I coudn't stand Bee movie, It was a complete torture, and I remember that I watched Surf's Up storyline one year before with other characters in another movie that is truly underrated, CARS

2. Rebel Moon
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
10. Blue Beetle

Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:39 am
Extraordinary

This ain't no kidz movie!

This is a straight up epic fantasy film made for all ages. If anything it's an adult movie, with mature themes - - it's really just one hot owl sex scene away from a hard R rating. 300 Owls, as it were. And ya know what? It's very good.

...not great, mind you. The story gets too balled up in the middle third to truly allow this entry in the series to soar, but it remains a very dark, very enjoyable, very true to life nature study with a palpable fantasy mythology setting - - they took the owls very seriously (the end credits roll the names of the team in charge of quill feathers). Their behavior, their aerodynamics, their varied species, their feathers, their very owlness is exquisite.

Plus, I was blessed to see it in glorious 2D - - Hallelujah! It was offered in a choice of 2D or 3D at my theatre, as God intended it! This allowed me to thoroughly experience the beauty of the artistic progression of the 2D projection of modern 3D cgi animation. One thing's for sure: Machete don't need no stinkin' glasses!

The score was mostly as appropriately majestic and orchestrally evil as the story demanded, but the use of sugary pop tunes seemed out of place in this regal realm.

I liked the voicework throughout - - solid, funny, stirring. Even the more famous actors didn't detract from their immersion in the story by calling attention to their real life characters.

And then there was the echidna...

I can 100% guarantee you that you have never ever seen a better animated authentic echidna character in your entire life. This film will set the bar for that feat for a long, long time (until that hyper-popular all-echidna soap-com of the 2030's).

Bottom line for me: Tweren't perfect, but I can't wait to see GOG2!

15 out of 5.

(Plus, plus, I really enjoyed Fur of Flying, the new Road Runner cartoon short at the beginning - - it was directed in the authentic spirit of the originals. in sharp contrast to the disrespect the characters have gone through in the past 40 years. This is the real deal. With the audacious update to the 3D cgi drawings of Wile E. and the Roadrunner, this steps up to the throne of Chuck Jones with head held high.)

Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:02 am
Forum General

BK wrote:
What a horribly bad review but the bias against Snyder is too great for a proper one. It is clear Snyder is a divisive filmmaker and I happen to fall under the positive reception category. (having only seen bits of 300, this and Watchmen)

This was a near fantastic movie IMO. Obviously it has done itself a disadvantage by trying to push the edge on what a family movie is yet still tries to appeal to those that will make it a monetary success whilst being a movie about photo-realistic fantastical owls. I really do hope this makes money and that animation can be seen as a medium, but then, if Pixar hasn't done it, it will never change. I can see the bias against it from miles away; it's a kids movie because it's animation, the characters are too realistic, it's a kids movie it shouldn't have violence etc not to mention that fantasy has consistently failed in the US if not named Potter or Rings. I guess this has turned into a semi-rant but I can't wait until the domestic BO is not the forefront of whether a movie is made or considered a success because clearly it inhibits what is allowed to be made yet still manages to create so many bullshit comedies including the latest Vampires Suck.

Anyway on the movie itself, it is gorgeous and is definitely the best I've seen this year and sweeps Avatar out of the park. It's 3D use was great even if some gimmicky wings appeared now and again. I enjoyed the voicework and the storyline as well. I guess the US just doesn't like fantasy storylines though I have no idea why. My only problem with it was that it was a little short. If only people were more receptive of animation not being for kids then it could have been made longer and more fleshed out because I felt some characters were held back by having to keep within a timeframe suitable for the young brats. Still, it is LOTR-esque and I loved it. I guess my rant is a bit misguided since I don't know exactly how it will perform but we all know why what decisions were made to get to this stage. I'd also like to point out the bullshit present in the RT submissions, but then, no one cares about RT, so it's alright.

Remember this is all opinion and I tend to like animation/fantasy more than most on this site, just as some do with comedies, Apatow, superheroes, Cameron and being contrarian.

I pretty much completely agree with this. I thought this movie was fantastic. The animation amazing, voice acting excellent, and the story was very good too. Lots to like here.

A- (it could have been a little longer)

Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:03 pm
Profile WWW
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
He who does not dream and believe is, or will become, a fascist. 4/10.

Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:14 pm
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

The animation is stunning and garish in equal measure. The story is every bit as silly as one would expect from 'The Owl Movie.' Zach Snyder proves again that he has an exquisite eye for visuals, but no ear for dialogue or music. My seven year-old siblings were entertained, but have not mentioned the movie once since having seen it. (Except for the knock-knock joke)

Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:47 pm
Ocarina of Time

now that I watched it, I give it an B+, I really had a great time with this film, absolutely my second best animated film of the year, (haven't seen Tangled yet, so I can't rank it,, but I'll do it soon

2. Rebel Moon
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
10. Blue Beetle

Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]