Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Scott Pilgrim vs. the World 

What grade would you give this film?
A 65%  65%  [ 17 ]
B 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
C 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
D 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
F 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 26

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World 
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
Michael A wrote:
Flava'd vs The World wrote:
One of 'them' always comes in these threads with an "I know more about movies than you do" attitude. They're the BKBs of the Everyones a Critic forum. And like BKB, you don't want to respond to them but the things they say are so outrageously pretentious that you can't help yourself.

except they do know far more about film than we do.

(assuming that your "them" reffers to yoshue, makeshift, kypade, and trixster. Snack and Argos are something of a different breed because they are more interested in mockery than reviewing and discussing film, but they still know a lot more than the rest of us, even if they rarely divulge it.)

There's a difference between knowing more about film and being more qualified to judge it. Having the former does not mean you have the latter.

I don't care about who's writing the review, I care about what they say. Makeshift is usually more insightful than most interpreting movies. But I trust my judgment on film more than anyone else's - by far. And so should you for yours. If the basis for liking a film is "I enjoyed it more", that is completley valid - perhaps the most valid of any judgment.

In particular I like kypade, but I wouldn't trust his take on any recent, mainstream movie... I'm not sure he watches any. And yoshue's taste for me gravitates between right and dead wrong on the flip of a coin. So while I like those reviewers and their takes on film, frankly I align more often with bradley than I do them and wouldn't trust their actual taste in any way

Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:11 pm
loyalfromlondon

makeshift didn't say that he knew more about film than the rest of you, Monsieur Benjamin John Michael A. Savage Milk Marin said that. Take it up with him.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:23 pm

Shack wrote:
Michael A wrote:
Flava'd vs The World wrote:
One of 'them' always comes in these threads with an "I know more about movies than you do" attitude. They're the BKBs of the Everyones a Critic forum. And like BKB, you don't want to respond to them but the things they say are so outrageously pretentious that you can't help yourself.

except they do know far more about film than we do.

(assuming that your "them" reffers to yoshue, makeshift, kypade, and trixster. Snack and Argos are something of a different breed because they are more interested in mockery than reviewing and discussing film, but they still know a lot more than the rest of us, even if they rarely divulge it.)

There's a difference between knowing more about film and being more qualified to judge it. Having the former does not mean you have the latter.

I don't care about who's writing the review, I care about what they say. Makeshift is usually more insightful than most interpreting movies. But I trust my judgment on film more than anyone else's - by far. And so should you for yours. If the basis for liking a film is "I enjoyed it more", that is completley valid - perhaps the most valid of any judgment.

In particular I like kypade, but I wouldn't trust his take on any recent, mainstream movie... I'm not sure he watches any. And yoshue's taste for me gravitates between right and dead wrong on the flip of a coin. So while I like those reviewers and their takes on film, frankly I align more often with bradley than I do them and wouldn't trust their actual taste in any way

I was not commenting on taste but rather their ability or cause to act as if they know a lot about film. They are constantly accused of being pretentious, but I would argue pretension earned is not a bad thing. I think they all have, to varying degrees, a sense of arrogance in terms of their ability to judge film, but I think it is deserved. As far as taste I personally trust mine more than anyone elses obviously, and I still think Scott Pilgrim is a magnificent film despite makeshift's comments on it. All I'm saying is makeshift knows more about the medium than I do, and can justify his opinion on a film more thoroughly and with better evidence than I could. It does come to a matter of taste however, and ultimately even if I knew everything that makeshift does, I think I would still love this movie.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:52 pm
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
Mr. Milk is a bottom.

Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:38 pm
Profile WWW
Us v Them

jmovies wrote:
Also yes makeshift, yoshue, trixster, and others may tend to enjoy older films more but just because one has seen a lot of older films does not make them that much smarter in film. We're in a completely different era of film now and as such the two eras should not be compared. While I would love to watch more older films, I decide to watch more modern films so I can really get a good comprehension of this era and what is good or not, especially since I'm growing up in this era and not pre-1990.

:funny:

Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:31 am
Stanley Cup

A

Last edited by Jim Halpert on Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:04 am
The Kramer

Well the good news here is that this thread has seen much more activity than it would have before. Any press is good press. Everyone go see Scott Pilgrim now!

Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:43 pm
loyalfromlondon

But makeshift said it sucked!!!

Same.

Algren wrote:

Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:46 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

Jim Halpert wrote:
The issue with jmovies view point is he has horrible taste

elaborate please

Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:20 pm
Profile WWW
Z

Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:54 pm
Profile WWW
Full Fledged Member

This was definitely a lot of fun. If nothing else, it's worth watching for the visual inventiveness. But I think it was just a bit too surreal for me to fall in love with it completely.

First and foremost, I'd give it a solid B+, because I laughed a lot.

I think I pretty much loved all of it except for the fight scenes, which were so abstract and unbelievable that they struggled to draw me in as action sequences. I can't work up any adrenaline for those kinds of crazy shennanigans. Even more than the stuff with coins and crazy special moves, my main bone of contention was... why does Scott know how to fight in the first place? Apart from the first battle - which really jarred and gave my suspension of disbelief a big slap in the face - I suppose I enjoyed them in a more detached, let's-see-what-he-comes-up-with-next kind of way. They certainly didn't float my boat as action sequences.

I would have enjoyed the film a lot more if they'd either made it clear that Scott Pilgrim was daydreaming - bookending the fight scenes with brief, more realistic ones to hint what had actually happened outside his own mind - or had some sort of in-universe explanation of why everything was that crazy. As it is, it sort of hovers in this middle ground where I wasn't convinced whether any of it was "real" enough (even within the fiction of the film) for me to give a crap about the whole conflict/resolution stuff.

But Culkin was great, Cera was great, and everyone else pulled his or her weight. There was a lot of fantastic humour (even if the laughs for me came between fight sequences).

Scott himself was a bit of a w*nker, but to be honest, I think I found Ramona more annoying. Certainly, she's exactly the kind of person that I would find tiresome in real life. Too much self-analysing, too much self-pitying, too much summing herself up with a kind of world-weary look on her face, as if her own personality is a burden she has to shoulder (or even some kind of force majeure that affects everyone around her) rather than something she controls.

Come to think of it, there's not a single character in the film that I liked as a person. And I felt sorry for Knives.

But it is very very funny (and fun) and well done.

Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:28 am
Wallflower

I loved this movie! It was so inventive and funny and entertaining. Loved the performances (Kendrick, Culkin, Wong, Pill). A very fun time! Pretty great soundtrack too.

Can't wait for it to be released on Blu-ray!

I'm so torn on a rating. I was originally going to give it an 8/10 (A-), but now I'm kind of feeling a 9/10 (A-).

Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:09 am
Where will you be?

trixster wrote:
But makeshift said it sucked!!!

That seems to be the only reason I can figure Argos would use jmovies avatar as an example of his bad taste. Or he hasn't seen it and just enjoys being snide.

When Argos uses a movie HE HASN'T EVEN SEEN as an example of someone else's bad taste, it illustrates how worthless his snobbery is to this forum.

Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:37 pm
Z

MovieDude wrote:
That seems to be the only reason I can figure Argos would use jmovies avatar as an example of his bad taste. Or he hasn't seen it and just enjoys being snide.

The latter.

MovieDude wrote:
When Argos uses a movie HE HASN'T EVEN SEEN as an example of someone else's bad taste, it illustrates how worthless his snobbery is to this forum.

I am really not a snob when it comes to film, music, art in general. I engage in such discussion for the simple reason that it generates entertaining reactions. My purpose here surely is not to be valuable to 'the forum' (whoever that is); I may, however, provide some worthwhile internet moments for a few people on the board.

Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:02 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

And does he ever!

Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:02 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

jmovies wrote:
Also yes makeshift, yoshue, trixster, and others may tend to enjoy older films more but just because one has seen a lot of older films does not make them that much smarter in film.

That's exactly what it means btw

Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:03 pm
Stanley Cup

Johnny Dollar wrote:
jmovies wrote:
Also yes makeshift, yoshue, trixster, and others may tend to enjoy older films more but just because one has seen a lot of older films does not make them that much smarter in film.

That's exactly what it means btw

yeah mostly because you get an appreciation for the industry. That's like saying, i love punk rock and wont listen to anything past 2010 because its just not relevant. That's a very short-sided view

Last edited by Jim Halpert on Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:46 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

Shack wrote:

that's exactly what having the former means btw

Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:33 pm
Z

MovieDude wrote:

Now that I have seen the movie (three or four points), I figure it simply illustrates how far-sighted I am.

Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:37 am
Profile WWW
100% That Bitch

A-

awesome movie and the performances were great.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:23 am
loyalfromlondon

I dunno man.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:31 am
Cream of the Crop

On Wednesday night, I saw this movie for the first time ever.

OMFGIT'SAWESOME!!!

I plan to go again Sunday night when they play it again.

Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:56 am
Profile WWW
A very honest-hearted fellow

I thought Knives was hot and the filmmakers tried everything in their power to make Mary Elizabeth Winstead not and they unfortunately succeeded.

Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:12 pm
Profile WWW

Magnus wrote:
This was alright at best. Thomas Jane, Kieran Culkin (who is easily the best thing about this), Chris Evans, Jason Schwartzman, etc. all shine in their limited time. The Seinfeld bit was amusing. Knives was cool though once she got dumped she kind of just got annoying.

Outside of that though...meh. The video-game references are cute at first but an hour into it, they just become empty. Michael Cera sucks. Winstead is somehow not hot and completely dull. And the fights in general are kind of bland.

Perhaps in a theater full of geeks this would have been more entertaining.

Our recent period of agreeing on movies had to end eventually.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:57 pm

Michael A wrote:
There are a few complaints, the pacing is (intentionally) odd and can occasionally be slow, The band is over-empahsized and the sister gets far too little screen time (she's excellent while on.) However these trifles do not matter. The realization that this really isn't a magnificient movie doesn't matter. It's on the borderline of being a giant mess, however this is one of the rare films that deny any sense of standard critique. The consistent energy of the direction and script run a perfect contrast to the restrained, quiet characters that dominate the film. I did not get every reference, nor did I always understand the purpose or function of all the plot devices and strange jokes. Nonetheless I found it constantly humorous and perpetually entertaining. It was simply a marvel to see unfold and is easily one of the best films I have seen in 2 years.

Edit: this is not one of the best films I've seen int he past two years, rather one of the best I have seen that were produced in the past two years.

Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next