Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Scott Pilgrim vs. the World 

What grade would you give this film?
A 65%  65%  [ 17 ]
B 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
C 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
D 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
F 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 26

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World 
Teenage Dream

Post Re: Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
Michael A wrote:
makeshift wrote:
Sorry gang, but this movie pretty much sucks. :(

If only it were as cool and original and innovative as Salt was.

I'm glad you agree.

But in all seriousness, Salt is the more original and innovative picture, especially when considered against the current crop of action cinema dominating theaters.

I fail to recognize all of this so-called brilliant inventiveness that has been thrown about by people regarding Scott Pilgrim. It's a pop-art mishmash of video games and comic books, with maybe a little bit of actual movie thrown in. It's the quintessential blender fanboy movie. Things like it are a dime a dozen, except normally they aren't so fucking long and redundant.

I don't have my head so far up my ass to not notice a brilliant piece of pop-art when I see it, but Scott Pilgrim ain't it.

Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:36 am
Teenage Dream

Also - and this is slightly besides the point - I couldn't help but pick up on a decidedly nasty mean streak towards women in this movie. I got a seriously creepy, frustrated Nice Guy™ syndrome vibe off of this thing.

Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:52 am

makeshift, you are smarter than I am in just about every way possible, so I will not attempt to debate film with you.

What I will say is this is certainly a blend of comic-book, video-game, and indie rom-com, but I have never seen such a blend before, nor heard of one. If they are indeed dime a dozen please provide me with the names of a few movies that I can look for.

Salt, for whatever reason, felt like one of the most reused pictures I have seen in a long time. The action may have its fresh components, however the implausible and overly-simplified plot-line, under-developed characters, all too rapid pace, and dull, basic dialogue felt horrifically rehashed not too mention unpleasant even if they were original.

Having said that, you know far more about film than I do, and I am not contesting that I have a better basis for knowing what is original and what is not. I am simply voicing my relatively ignorant perspective.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:38 pm
Where will you be?

Makeshift, you think you are much smarter than I am in just about every way possible... But I think you're off the mark on this one. No doubt, the worst moments in Scott Pilgrim vs. the World involve its portrayal of women. Mary Elizabeth Winstead makes a very bland Ramona. The death of the female ex is stupid. And Knives Chau nonchalantly forgiving Scott is obviously "unrealistic." But the film is a fantasy... Scott Pilgrim's fantasy. And if his imaginary world heavily involves video game brawls, it doesn't seem like a stretch to imagine that he's more preoccupied with kicking ass than doing right with the opposite gender. You may as well dismiss any of Fight Club's qualities because the protagonists are hateful towards women too. Besides, I think the film doesn't ignore Scott's horrible treatment of the girls he dates. It actively calls out its protagonist for being a scumbag by making his "dream girl" someone who dumps every guy she's with.

Moving past the gender qualms and looking at the filmmaking going on here, I think the reason so many people love this movie is because there are so many things to love. There are more visual gags and clever cuts in the film than any other film this year (including the inferior Inception.) At least a dozen different characters steal a scene, but the film never feels unfocused. The smash cuts and on-screen text create a great forward momentum where every scene builds on the one before it. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World is chock full of great music, great witticisms, and tons of visual f/x that enhance the fantasy setting.

I'm not much of a gamer, but I loved how the film works to erase the increasingly small line between video games and film. It's all very self conscious and completely stylized, but why is that a bad thing? In a cinematic culture that often seems intent on pushing hyper-realism, it's refreshing to see a film so happily toss any semblance of "reality" out the fourth-wall window.

I don't care if you and yoshue snidely turn your nose up on this... Just try not to judge us philistines too hard for enjoying the most imaginative film of the year.

Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:31 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

MovieDude wrote:
I don't care if you and yoshue snidely turn your nose up on this... Just try not to judge us philistines too hard for enjoying the most imaginative film of the year.

Yoshue actually thought this was "pretty great" according to what he said on FG

Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:35 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

One of 'them' always comes in these threads with an "I know more about movies than you do" attitude. They're the BKBs of the Everyones a Critic forum. And like BKB, you don't want to respond to them but the things they say are so outrageously pretentious that you can't help yourself.

Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:54 pm
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
MovieDude sounds like a slightly aggressive Monsieur Marin.

Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:12 pm
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

How in the hell did this turn into a "makeshift is a pretentious asshole" thread? I thought I was being relatively genial and non-confrontational with my thoughts, and I especially wasn't being judgmental. I know movies like this often inspire a ridiculous amount of aggression towards people that don't love it (see: Nolan, Christopher), but come on... there are surely better targets out there then me. I didn't feel like there was much to say about this movie in the first place, let alone enough to instigate a reaction.

Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:32 pm
The Kramer

makeshift wrote:
How in the hell did this turn into a "makeshift is a pretentious asshole" thread? I thought I was being relatively genial and non-confrontational with my thoughts, and I especially wasn't being judgmental. I know movies like this often inspire a ridiculous amount of aggression towards people that don't love it (see: Nolan, Christopher), but come on... there are surely better targets out there then me. I didn't feel like there was much to say about this movie in the first place, let alone enough to instigate a reaction.
Well you didn't come in and say

Quote:
I didn't really like it. I must have missed something the rest of you saw.

you said

Quote:
Sorry gang, but this movie pretty much sucks.

And then tried to convince us the movie wasn't as good as we thought.

Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:10 pm
Z

But that's just because you are not as smart as he is...

Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:16 pm
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
makeshift wrote:
Well you didn't come in and say

Quote:

you said

Quote:
Sorry gang, but this movie pretty much sucks.

And then tried to convince us the movie wasn't as good as we thought.

Regarding your first point, I would hope that I had been around here long enough for you to know that I can't stand posts like:
Quote:
If you aren't going to have solid opinions, and are just willing to rollover and play passive about everything, what is the point of posting on an internet forum?

As for your second point, how did I try to convince everyone the movie wasn't as good as they thought? I merely stated my (very limited) thoughts on it, and moved on. I don't see a point by point breakdown as to why anyone in particular is wrong about this movie, do you? This is something I have admittedly done in the past, but as I've said several time now, I didn't find Scott Pilgrim to be interesting enough to warrant more than a basic couple of thoughts, and certainly not interesting enough to get into a discussion over.

Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:30 pm
Draughty

I wanted to like this but was underwhelmed. There were many things that didn't click for me such as all of the women in Scott's life were better than Ramona, they needed to do a better job of explaining why he'd be so into this mediocre girl.

Knives was cute as hell and in love with him, it made no sense to cheat on her to begin with. They may have screwed up in casting that actress, she was too awesome. Aubrey Plaza had her moments despite being bitter, Nathalie was the prettiest and even Kim was pretty decent looking and nice, all of them so much better choices for him than drab, boring Ramona.

It probably would've resonated with me more if I was more into video games since it turned out to be much more about video games than I expected.

I don't normally grade movies only because it invites apples/oranges comparisons (You can give Die Hard and The New World the same grade but are they really comparable?). But if I were to grade this it'd be probably a C-.

Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:43 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

It's good, but very flawed. MG Casey pretty much nailed my problem with the movie and I'll take it one step further. Scott Pilgrim is a borderline asshole. For a good chunk of the movie (last two third's) I was wondering why he deserved either Ramona or Knives. The script really doesn't do a good job of explaining to the audience why we should really care about him. Because he got dumped by Nat, a character we spend two scenes with and never quite comes across as "evil". Because he plays great music? Because he's fighting Ramona's exes (for no reason other than there wouldn't be a story if he didn't)? And what he learns in the end is basically treated as a throwaway joke.

Yet for me at least, it's a hard movie not to like. It's very entertaining, the visuals are great, and even though I had a problem with Pilgrim as a character, I enjoyed everyone in it. And it's also very funny.

For now. It wouldn't surprise me if the film gets better or worse with a second viewing.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:32 pm
Profile WWW

One of 'them' always comes in these threads with an "I know more about movies than you do" attitude. They're the BKBs of the Everyones a Critic forum. And like BKB, you don't want to respond to them but the things they say are so outrageously pretentious that you can't help yourself.

except they do know far more about film than we do.
(assuming that your "them" reffers to yoshue, makeshift, kypade, and trixster. Snack and Argos are something of a different breed because they are more interested in mockery than reviewing and discussing film, but they still know a lot more than the rest of us, even if they rarely divulge it.)

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:14 pm
Where will you be?

Michael A wrote:

except they do know far more about film than we do.
(assuming that your "them" reffers to yoshue, makeshift, kypade, and trixster. Snack and Argos are something of a different breed because they are more interested in mockery than reviewing and discussing film, but they still know a lot more than the rest of us, even if they rarely divulge it.)

Shut the fuck up. Or at least stop saying "we". Because I live, breathe, and eat movies. I have had people have issues with me because of how much I love discussing movies. Sometimes I wish I didn't think about movies so damn much. So don't try and tell me this elite fucking posse is so much more enlightened about film than me or the vast majority of this forum. Because we are on here because we live, breathe and eat movies too.

And makeshift, I was giving my first post in this thread about this movie as much as I was responding to your post. Sorry - I'm bitter since I read your posts bragging about how you liked to flake out on me inviting you to go to the movies when we lived in the same town. You come off as a pretentious ass because, as far as I can tell, you are. That's my solid opinion.

Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:54 am
Extraordinary

One thing's for sure - - MovieDude's got more good taste in movies in his left little finger than 99% of the posters on KJ have in their whole exocarps.

Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:14 am
Z

Look, MovieDude, Armond White appreciates your taste.

Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:46 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

You guys are gonna scare makeshift away again!!!

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:06 pm

He has probably hopped the fence already.

Moviedude, I do not know that much about you and do apologize if my summarizing offended you. That was not my intention. From the relatively few posts of yours I have read you do not appear to have extensive knowledge of the structure or making of movies. I've also seen very few cases of you commenting on movies not made in the past 10 years, so I thought it reasonable to infer that you are, like me, largely familiar with movies of the 2000s but not as knowledgeable of movies of the past. In both these cases the aforementioned people know a lot. Honestly I think a lot of the other posters on this board insult them because of the realization that the "posse" are in fact more knowledgeable than these other posters and nobody likes feeling ignorant.

Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:15 pm
Where will you be?

Ask the people who know me in real life if I have extensive knowledge of the structure/way movies are made. Or ask the people who know Flav'd. Or Bradley. Or Jmovies. Or nghtvsn. I'm willing to bet that our friends and family would not hesitate to say that those people are obsessed about movies, just as the friends and family of makeshift, etc would say the same.

Ultimately, this isn't a thread to compare whose seen more movies by Bergman or Hawkes. This is a thread to review Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. I do take offense that a one sentence review should carry more weight than the paragraphs other people wrote, just because that person is a Superior Movie Watcher according to YOU.

Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:15 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

MovieDude wrote:
Ask the people who know me in real life if I have extensive knowledge of the structure/way movies are made. Or ask the people who know Flav'd. Or Bradley. Or Jmovies. Or nghtvsn. I'm willing to bet that our friends and family would not hesitate to say that those people are obsessed about movies, just as the friends and family of makeshift, etc would say the same.

Ultimately, this isn't a thread to compare whose seen more movies by Bergman or Hawkes. This is a thread to review Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. I do take offense that a one sentence review should carry more weight than the paragraphs other people wrote, just because that person is a Superior Movie Watcher according to YOU.

I agree with this. Everyone I know knows I'm a huge film buff and I agree that a one sentence review should not carry the same weight as a paragraph or two one.

Also yes makeshift, yoshue, trixster, and others may tend to enjoy older films more but just because one has seen a lot of older films does not make them that much smarter in film. We're in a completely different era of film now and as such the two eras should not be compared. While I would love to watch more older films, I decide to watch more modern films so I can really get a good comprehension of this era and what is good or not, especially since I'm growing up in this era and not pre-1990.

Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:20 pm
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

MovieDude wrote:

And makeshift, I was giving my first post in this thread about this movie as much as I was responding to your post. Sorry - I'm bitter since I read your posts bragging about how you liked to flake out on me inviting you to go to the movies when we lived in the same town. You come off as a pretentious ass because, as far as I can tell, you are. That's my solid opinion.

Wait, what? When did I post anything like that? I always felt pretty bad about flaking on you, and it had a lot more to do with my own insecurities then anything else. I still live in Portland if you do...

As for the rest of this thread... yikes.

Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:31 pm
Z

MovieDude wrote:
Ultimately, this isn't a thread to compare whose seen more movies by Bergman or Hawkes.

Hehe.

Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:25 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

hi guys what's going on here?

http://www.last.fm/group/ingmar+bergman+sucks

Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:55 pm
The Kramer

I didn't mean to personally attack makeshift or anything, but the snobbery on here is a tad ridiculous at times. And it does influence what other people think when they think you "know more about movies than us".

Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next