Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Scott Pilgrim vs. the World 

What grade would you give this film?
A 65%  65%  [ 17 ]
B 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
C 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
D 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
F 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 26

Extraordinary

Post Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

Quote:
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World is a 2010 comedy film directed by Edgar Wright, based on the graphic novel series Scott Pilgrim by Bryan Lee O'Malley. The film is about Scott Pilgrim (Michael Cera), a young Canadian musician, meeting the girl of his dreams, Ramona Flowers (Mary Elizabeth Winstead), an American delivery girl. In order to win Ramona, Scott learns that he must defeat Ramona's "seven evil exes", who are coming to kill him.

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World was planned as a film after the first volume of the comic was released. Wright became attached to the project and filming began in March 2009 in Toronto. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World premiered after a panel discussion at the San Diego Comic-Con International on July 22, 2010. It received a wide release in North America on August 13, 2010 in 2,818 theaters. The film finished fifth on its first weekend of release with a total of $10.5 million. The film received generally positive reviews by critics and fans of the graphic novel, but it failed to recoup its production budget during its release in theaters, grossing $31.5 million in North America and $16 million overseas. However, the film has fared better on home video, becoming the top-selling Blu-ray on Amazon.com during the first day it was available.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:41 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
There are a few complaints, the pacing is (intentionally) odd and can occasionally be slow, The band is over-empahsized and the sister gets far too little screen time (she's excellent while on.) However these trifles do not matter. The realization that this really isn't a magnificient movie doesn't matter. It's on the borderline of being a giant mess, however this is one of the rare films that deny any sense of standard critique. The consistent energy of the direction and script run a perfect contrast to the restrained, quiet characters that dominate the film. I did not get every reference, nor did I always understand the purpose or function of all the plot devices and strange jokes. Nonetheless I found it constantly humorous and perpetually entertaining. It was simply a marvel to see unfold and is easily one of the best films I have seen in 2 years.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:54 am
The Lubitsch Touch

I'm not saying a word.

Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:38 am

Johnny Dollar wrote:
I'm not saying a word.

A tragic fact, even if the words were to be at my expense.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:47 am
Killing With Kindness

BJs Grade:

A/A-

amazing film, loved whenever Kendrick was on screen, she rocked. Can't wait to see it again.

Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:23 am
Profile WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World shows that director Edgar Wright has not lost his touch at all and makes another master work of art and film here. Michael Cera does a wonderful job in the role of Scott Pilgrim adding the zaniness, confusion, and crazy antics needed with the character. Mary Elizabeth Winstead also does great as Ramona Flowers and doesn't feel like she's playing the typical girlfriend role. The ex-boyfriends are incredible zany as well especially Chris Evans and Jason Schwartzman. Kieran Culkin and Ellen Wong are also great in their supporting roles. The film is filled with continuous laughs and the visuals are wonderful. Talk is already starting on an Editing Oscar nomination for Pilgrim and it would definitely be earned as the editing has a lot of fun while being strong at the same time. The video game feel works and other nostalgic moments (such as the Seinfeld scene) make the film that much better. It's uncertain where the film ranks when compared to Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz but Wright definitely has not lost his touch. Too bad mainstream audiences aren't spending much time to see his work. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World is an outstanding success. ****

Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:22 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

The most fun I have had in a theatre in 2010. Edgar Wright delivers a third instant pop culture classic; a clever, exuberant, and hilarious cinematic ode to graphic novels, independent music, and videogames, as well as a tender tale of love and coming-of-age. From the splendid performances (Cera comes into his own as a leading man, and the supporting cast, including scene stealers Kieran Culkin, Anna Kendrick, and Brandon Routh, is dynamite) to the original score by Radiohead producer Nigel Godrich, this film is a delight. Don't miss it.

A

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:54 pm
Extraordinary

SCOTT PILGRIM VS THE WORLD

I have been growing tired of Cera lately. His work in Youth in Revolt and that film as a whole was pretty boring. This film I was more hyped to see so that may have contributed to my enjoyment of it. I did enjoy the detail and quirky elements they put in the film such as a font flowing off the screen for the sound of a bell or the little character bios for his friends in the beginning. I enjoyed the music and the sound. I liked most of the fight sequences. I really enjoyed when Ramona whips out that giant hammer and battles that girl. I thought the cast was great and it was a really fun, unique and memorable film for me. Unfortunately, it didn't click with audiences and that's disappointing. Hopefully, it does well on video.

Grade - A

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:29 pm
Sbil

I loved this! From the hilarious Universal opening logo on, the film is fresh, sly, and entertaining until the end. This is another role in which Michael Cera's trademark awkwardness works well, Mary Elizabeth Winstead is appealing, and newcomer Ellen Wong clearly deserves some more roles after this. There are lots of fun supporting performances and unexpected laugh-out-loud moments (probably my favorite was "Julie: Has Issues" and her censored swearing), although Kieran Culkin and Anna Kendrick especially warrant more screen time. It's a shame that it won't find an audience in movie theaters, but it's so much fun that it will no doubt happen at some point. A-

Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:28 pm
---------

Very fun movie. In the end, it missed perfection by making Scott Pilgrim too unlikeable. I loved Cera's performance, but the character came across as way too selfish. The fights were amazing and Ellen Wong is my hero.

B+

Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:35 pm
College Boy Z

A little too dorky for my tastes, but it was still kinda funny occasionally.

All jokes involving Knives pretty much stole the show. I'm a fan of when Gideon called her Kung Pao Chicken, even though that's like the most overused Asian joke ever.

Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:29 pm
Extraordinary

I've read the first 3 volumes of the comics, and every character is very, very accurately portrayed (Knives is perrrrrfect)... except Scott. Cera's fine, but they really should have gotten someone else with a different personality.

The movie's a blast, though.

Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:54 pm
Pure Phase

Saw this again today.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:04 pm
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Gunslinger wrote:
Saw this again today.

Did you see this again cause you really wanted to or is it because you couldn't believe how bad it sucked and was polarized by the whole thing??? :-k

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:22 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Tony Stark wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
Saw this again today.

Did you see this again cause you really wanted to or is it because you couldn't believe how bad it sucked and was polarized by the whole thing??? :-k

I've said it once, I will say it again: YOU'RE A RETARD.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:47 am
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

If I'd been directing Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World, I would've tightened it up to 90 minutes flat - - that's my sole criticism of this modern masterpiece.

SPVTW is everything a graphic novel movie adaptation should be - - it gleefully mixes the tropes of print with the cliches of film amping up the intensity of both - - and I mean that in the best possible sense! This is right up there with V for Vendetta and perhaps even rivalling the brilliant and tragically underappreciated The Spirit!!! To paraphrase the last words of Sir Donald Wolfit: "Dying is easy, cheesiness is hard."

The actors were perfect - - their collective physical nerdiness played the perfect foil to their superhuman powers.

Yep, this is a keeper.

78 out of 5.

Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:34 am
King Albert!

Outstanding. One the most fun films of the year. Ditto on most people here. grade - A.

Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:04 pm
Profile WWW

The Scottie wrote:
Outstanding. One the most fun films of the year. Ditto on most people here. grade - A.

I have to say in this year, that is an enormous understatement. No other film I have seen from 2010 is remotely as enjoyable or entertaining as this. I'd say it is one of the most fun films of the past 10 years.

Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:01 am
The Kramer

Rating: Too awesome to be reviewed.

Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:38 am
Forum General

I really enjoyed it, though I can't help but be disappointed. After the massive hype and great reviews, I expected something great and what I was given was just merely good. It can be very slow at times and repetitive (which personally I find to be it's biggest fault). The first 45 minutes works great but quickly takes a nosedive when the 7 ex's come into place. Then, instead of being great like it was, it's just entertaining.

7/10 ( B )

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:27 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Teenage Dream

Sorry gang, but this movie pretty much sucks. :(

Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:20 am

makeshift wrote:

If only it were as cool and original and innovative as Salt was.

Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:21 pm
The Kramer

makeshift wrote:
If only it were as cool and original and innovative as Cats and Dogs 2 was.

Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:36 pm
Stanley Cup

Michael A wrote:
makeshift wrote:

can it be called original when it's based on a book? isn't that the opposite of original? Wouldn't it be adapted?

Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:45 pm

Jim Halpert wrote:
Michael A wrote:
makeshift wrote:

can it be called original when it's based on a book? isn't that the opposite of original? Wouldn't it be adapted?

Your assuming a far too narrow definition of the word.

Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 102 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next