Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 Inception 

What grade would you give this film?
A 70%  70%  [ 45 ]
B 14%  14%  [ 9 ]
C 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
D 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
F 11%  11%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 64

Inception 
Extraordinary

Post Inception
Inception

Quote:
Inception is a 2010 science fiction action film, written, co-produced, and directed by Christopher Nolan. The film features an ensemble cast starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Ken Watanabe, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Marion Cotillard, Ellen Page, Tom Hardy, Cillian Murphy, Dileep Rao, Tom Berenger, and Michael Caine. DiCaprio plays Dom Cobb, a specialized corporate spy and thief. His work consists of secretly extracting valuable commercial information from the unconscious minds of his targets while they are asleep and dreaming. Wanted for murder and unable to visit his children, Cobb is offered a chance to regain his old life as payment for a task considered to be impossible: "inception", the planting of an idea into a target's subconscious.

Development began roughly nine years before Inception was released. In 2001, Nolan wrote an 80-page treatment about dream-stealers, presenting the idea to Warner Bros. The story was originally envisioned as a horror film, inspired by concepts of lucid dreaming and dream incubation. Feeling he needed to have more experience with large-scale films, Nolan opted to work on Batman Begins, The Prestige, and The Dark Knight. He spent six months polishing up the script for Inception before Warner Bros. purchased it in February 2009. Filming spanned six countries and four continents, beginning in Tokyo on June 19, 2009, and finishing in Canada in late November of the same year.

Inception was officially budgeted at $160 million, a cost that was split between Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures. Nolan's reputation and success with The Dark Knight helped secure the film's $100 million in advertising expenditure. Inception premiered in London on July 8, 2010, and was released in both conventional and IMAX theaters on July 16, 2010. A box office success, the film grossed over $21 million on its opening day, with an opening weekend gross of $62.7 million. Overall, Inception has grossed over $800 million worldwide and is currently one of the highest-grossing films of all time. In addition to strong box office results, Inception has also grossed $68 million in DVD sales.

Inception received wide critical acclaim, with numerous critics praising it for its originality, cast, score, and visual effects. The film received eight Academy Award nominations, including Best Picture and Best Original Screenplay, Best Original Score, and Best Art Direction, and won four awards for Best Sound Editing, Best Sound Mixing, Best Cinematography, and Best Visual Effects.

Grade - A+

So good it may ruin the rest of the year's movies for you.

Last edited by xiayun on Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:32 pm
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Post Re: Inception
The Dark Shape wrote:
Grade - A+

So good it may ruin the rest of the year's movies for you.

You got to see the movie for free.. I saw ya bragging about it over at CHUD so naturally your going to hyperbole it to death with a tagline like that.. It should really be interesting to see if mainstream moviegoing public feel the same way or if this is just another example of internet hyperbole which will probably be a mixture of both..

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:45 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I see lots of movies for free. I don't recall showering Clash of the Titans with praise.

Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:52 am
Sbil

LOL @ the three F's already

Why so predictable BKB

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Dark Shape.

Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:56 am

Libs wrote:

Why so predictable BKB

Uh dumbass, you can only vote 1 time and you know it.. Your implying I have 3 other accounts to be able to do this and you know and the MODS know I don't have multiple accounts.. Nice try Libs and talk about predictable.. You wrote the book on predictable.. :bang:

Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:07 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

Tony Stark wrote:
Libs wrote:

Why so predictable BKB

Uh dumbass, you can only vote 1 time and you know it.. Your implying I have 3 other accounts to be able to do this and you know and the MODS know I don't have multiple accounts.. Nice try Libs and talk about predictable.. You wrote the book on predictable.. :bang:

No, I know only 1 one of the "F's" was you. I was just saying it's predictable you voted F in the first place...and I know you did, since you have a past history of doing so.

But I don't want to muck up this thread...the mods can/should delete our posts.

Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:10 pm

Libs wrote:
Tony Stark wrote:
Libs wrote:

Why so predictable BKB

No, I know only 1 one of the "F's" was you. I was just saying it's predictable you voted F in the first place...and I know you did, since you have a past history of doing so.

But I don't want to muck up this thread...the mods can/should delete our posts.

Uh, here's a newsflash for ya: I haven't voted yet Libs and I'm pretty sure the Admin or MODS have the capability of telling who voted and who didn't and mine clearly shows I haven't voted yet.. LIBS = EPIC FAIL.............AGAIN :funny:

Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:15 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

God Bkb, give it a rest. Seriously, just chill out.

Awesome review Shape; what do you think of its award season chances?

Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:01 pm
You are waiting for a train

A

Probably the best of the year so far. I should see it again before I make any final claims like that, but it's really everything you want out of it and more. I'm still reeling from how amazed I was by it.

Question for Shape (spoilers):

Spoiler: show
At the end.. did you think he was alive or dead (or 'dream limbo')? The cut before we saw if the top kept spinning or not was delicious.

Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:48 pm
Extraordinary

Goception wrote:
Question for Shape (spoilers):
]At the end.. did you think he was alive or dead (or 'dream limbo')? The cut before we saw if the top kept spinning or not was delicious.

The ending is obviously and majorly left open to interpretation (people who like to think Anderton never got un-halo'd in Minority Report are gonna go nuts for it), but I don't think Cobb ever came back from the void. He never found Ken Watanabe afterward. Notice that when he spins the dradle, it keeps going, he sees it going, but it doesn't matter -- he looks at his children anyway.

I think he's come to agree with what Mal said; there's no real difference in realities, and these are his children. Even if it's a forever dream.

Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:09 pm
College Boy Z

Yeah, BKB shouldn't be allowed to post in this thread until he has a legit review (dare I say with a ticket stub SCANNED...well, not really, but we all know he's not even gonna see it and still give it a D).

Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:17 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Boxofficeguru: "Inception: intense gripping & powerful, not easiest story to follow, great fx, not sure lowbrow auds will like."

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:27 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Great reviews so far!

Keep this for reviews only.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:33 pm
New Server, Same X

Chipo DiCaprio wrote:
Boxofficeguru: "Inception: intense gripping & powerful, not easiest story to follow, great fx, not sure lowbrow auds will like."

Don't know why, but this made me think of the episode of Frasier when the brothers bought their own restaurant and tried coming up with a name for it.

Frasier: I've got it! Les Freres Heureux.
Niles: “The Happy Brothers”... Brilliant! It's homey, but just hard enough to pronounce to intimidate the riff-raff!

Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:05 pm
Another You

Well, it's very nearly there. All I know for sure is that it needs a second viewing, maybe more so I can catch up on some points I failed to fully understand and to make my final thoughts. Regardless, it's a very beautiful film, and not just in terms of the visuals.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:12 pm
Another You

Nearly there in terms of fucking my brain (if I ever have one).

Nearly there in terms of either being the biggest disapointment of the year, or the opposite.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:25 pm
Another You

And it very well reminded me of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind only with more explosions.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:33 pm
Another You

Then, I'm leaning more to the fact that I like it more than TDK which I'm not much of a fan of as you. Now how do you like that?

Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:44 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

OK I saw the movie and it does not disappoint. There are so many scenes that are the key points in the movie still I felt that 148 minutes could have been tailored. It is still the best of this genre I have ever seen and though it is a directorial brilliance it is the script that comes out to be the winner. There is plenty of action and fast pace to keep audience engaged. The "so called" hard to imagine might not be true and if you go to movies often this should be easily understandable. It is way more clearer than Matrix . Actually with my group everyone was actually able to grasp the concept, the proceedings in the end are what makes the film a bit confusing and then with the last dream you start to loose interest cause the love story never capitalizes once we know the truth about the family (trying not to give many spoilers).

The Good Points:
Concept, Script, Direction, Action and thrills, CGI, acting and the fast pace of the movie. They are in bold for a reason :)

The Bad points (Yes there are a few):
Leonardo (He is good but does not carry the movie as well as his past ventures partly because Page does an even better job and others are equally better), Ending (because it shifts the focus from the team to the life of Leo and the last dream looks a bit stretched out), Emotions (this looks like a generic action movie for quite sometime. It should have delved more into how it was made possible to achieve dream-seeking rather than just showing a device. The emotional factors though tried hard do not connect).

I strongly believe that the movie is great and a must watch once still I am also sure that lot of people will see this as an action movie overall. People who did not understood the movie were twitching and turning till the action scenes came in, so they were interested in the end but by assuming things like a normal fantasy movie rather than appreciating the logic behind the proceedings.

The movie excels in many different levels but it is not as great as the hype of Nolan has made it. Actually it stands quite far from TDK as an overall package. I gave TDK 9/10 this one is definitely near in the ratings but not as great.

8/10

Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:41 pm
Sbil

snack dear what are you doing

Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:20 pm
Devil's Advocate

Can we just delete that. Critic reviews (in this case AO Scott's) go in the RT thread in Cinemania

Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:18 am
Superfreak

Just got back. I give it an A.

DiCaprio is just unbelievable. I thought his performance was beyond a home run, he totally anchored the film (which was very crucial being the old one we care about with any sort of history). Everyone else is great too-Nolans finest talent may be getting excellent performances out of his actors. Marion Cottilard is also excellent. Cillian Murphy also shines.

The plot isn't that confusing at all imo, though the ending:

I don't care what the dradle did, there's no way he got back to plane unless it was real. The dradle was just one last mind fuck

Overall...and excellent picture. Supreme achievements in directing, writing, acting, FX...this deserves big an oscar biggie.

Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:14 am
Superfreak

The lack of character development for the others isn't a criticism; its exactly how its intended

Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:28 am
Extraordinary

Inception

I saw it at a midnight show. First midnight show since TDK, I think. Apparently, people on here aren't liking it much, but I found it to be interesting. By the audience reaction, it didn't sound like they liked it as there was a huge groan. Seriously, but the 2 friends I saw it with enjoyed it and felt it was worthy of watching again.

Interestingly, I saw a pair of couples afterward discussing it and one of the girlfriends was saying how she slept through most of it while the other girl really enjoyed and felt she had to see it again.

Anyway, I thought it was a good film. The actors were good, Ellen I really enjoyed the most. The whole introduction to the building of a dream was the coolest part for me. One part that confused me was the "idea" they were implanting into the guy's mind. I thought an idea took time to grow and develop so I don't know how long that idea had been implanted in him. Another thing my friends brought up was that the film was too long especially the snow hospital sequence. We thought it could have been trimmed a bit there. Finally,
we all mostly agreed that Leo was stuck in his dream at the end.

Grade - A

One last item is that the sound was a bit over the top especially at one point where I thought some speakers might be blowing out cuz the bass was so freaking heavy.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:10 am
I heet the canadian!

Absolute 100% A+ brilliance.

I'm guess I'm in the minority in thinking he was in reality. The totem is quite noticeably losing rotational speed, and I just like the idea of him being able to at last let go of the limbo far more, heh.

Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 329 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next