Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Killers 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 44%  44%  [ 4 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
D 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9

Killers 
Extraordinary

Post Killers
Killers

Quote:
Killers is a 2010 American romantic action comedy film starring Katherine Heigl and Ashton Kutcher. The film was released in the United States and Canada on June 4, 2010. The film centers on a young woman who meets a guy who turns out to be an assassin.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:16 am
Profile WWW
Sbil

Post Re: Killers
Pretty limp. Killers, aside from a couple of throwaway moments, is never especially funny and it is certainly never thrilling in an action film sort of way. Katherine Heigl and Ashton Kutcher have plenty of natural appeal and charisma (at least in my view) but both of their characters here are pretty boring and the two have no chemistry. Tom Selleck and Catherine O'Hara don't have all that much to do playing Heigl's parents, but their presence improves the film a bit and O'Hara scores most of the movie's laughs. To be fair, I didn't spend every second of the film waiting for it to be over like I did with The Bounty Hunter recently. Unlike that film, this one isn't actively bad, it's just relentlessly mediocre throughout. C

Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:11 pm
Wallflower

KILLERS - 7/10 (B-)

It's entertaining and fairly funny while it lasts, but once you leave the theater you will instantly forget all about it. Heigl and Kutcher were serviceable though. I thought they were good together. Overall an enjoyable comedy but nothing to write home about. I thought it felt a little too slight. Should have been a bit longer.

Last edited by Magic Mike on Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:12 pm
ef star star kay

I liked Heigl. And Kutcher in shirtless is nothing to complain about (but please don't walk). Catherine O'Hara was 'okay-funny'.

C

Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:30 am
Superman: The Movie

It's a better action film than it is a comedy. Can't say that I expected that. That's not to say I'm surprised the film wasn't very funny, but it's a little more clever than I thought it was going to be and the action scenes are kind of good (?). With that in mind, I think that's the reason it's not as successful as it should've been. Kutcher and Heigl have some decent chemistry with one another, they could've used some more romantic interplay. The two scenes that come close - (1) Heigl's character passes out, (2)There's a far away shot of them making out on on a beach. As much as they have decent chemistry together, the only reason we really believe they're in love is because the film told us so. We go from a week in Nice, to three years later and their married life. We couldn't have seen a little something in between?

And as I said before, it's more clever than funny. I like Rob Riggle, but he's pretty much wasted. Catherine O'Hara tries to hard. Kutcher's playing straight. And Heigl has magical cleavage. Where's the comedy supposed to come from?

Yet I still kind of liked it. It's a decent action film, but nothing more.

**½

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:36 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Two strikes against this movie:

1. Robo-Kutcher.
2. Outstanding comic director, Robert Luketic, is pitching his "B"game here.

This new terminatoresque Ashton Kutcher just freakin' creeps me out. Yikes! Not to mention his awning eyelashes obscuring whatever little glimpses of acting prowess one might have hoped to see. His face seems frozen as if in a steroid bloat. Frankly, I not even sure it was the Ashton we knew of old: Butterfly Effect and Dude, Where's My Car? - - if it turns out that it was just a cgi version (henceforth known as AshKut) in Killers - - I, for one, won't be surprised.

And the direction, has hints of Luketic's directorial finesse, it ultimately stalls on a hollow story flossed up like hot spun sugar. This doesn't come near his triumph in his previous film: The Ugly Truth, a classic hard-edged ROM-COM for the ages, or his earlier underrated Win a Date with Tad Hamilton.

...but in the end, there was no third strike...

... and Katherine Heigl, with the help of this movie's wonkily terrific supporting cast, somehow walked this baby home for the run.

Heigl is simply one of those natural born charmers like Betty White - - I always look forward to seeing her performance - - she will have a long and illustrious acting career. And then you get the immortal Catherine O'Hara and Tom Selleck as Mom & Dad, with Martin Mull (!) and Rob Riggle as further humorously outlandish protagonists. As haphazard as the storyline turns out to be, they manage to walk it like a tipsy suspect walking an extra straight line.

So all-in-all, for the fellow viewer that loves the Heigl and don't think too hard, I believe this movie can safely be rated:

4 out of 5.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:46 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Better than I expected. Not great, but not bad at all.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:52 am
Devil's Advocate

Goes down easy, but instantly forgettable. I like Heigl but she has no material or partners to work with here. Kutcher single handidly kills any emotional connection between the main characters. He's terrible. He's honestly about as good as putting in a sports athlete trying to make the leap to the big screen. That may have been more believable.

I did like the concept of having characters on the run/fighting against the neighbourhood bit characters. It's a neat twist on their normal roles. I agree with Jmart that the action and fight scenes are surprisingly decent.

The end twist creates some plausibility holes in the storyline... my biggest problem:

Spoiler: show
Wayyyy too weak a reason for Selleck to set off the Killers. He should've accounted for the possibility of Kutcher turning the job down or made sure. I think the film could've got around it by making a more elaborate misunderstanding set-up for him

With that said, the plot has a hint of tongue and cheek throughout so the slight ridiculousness doesn't bother me

The Ugly Truth is definitely miles and miles ahead of this

Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:02 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Well yeah. I mean she masturbates in that one!

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:46 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

While Knight & Day may not have been a successful piece to watch, it at least trumps its close to summer clone Killers. Killers ends up being a one hour romance film that turns into a final 40 minutes of stupid action. The film takes all predictable methods from other action films and doesn't add anything original. How the last 40 minutes play out become more and more predictable with each new enemy approaching. The film also takes the "pregnancy route" and tries to add in filler that doesn't need to be there. The typical romance story is there as well and it plays through just like every other one of them. Katherine Heigl is showing just how terrible of an actress she is again here and even Ashton Kutcher can't find much ground to work with though he does provide the film's couple of laughs along with Tom Selleck. The supporting characters are over-the-top and director Robert Luketic can add this to his list of duds that includes last year's horrible The Ugly Truth. He needs to do more films like 21 instead of this. 1/2*

Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:28 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

An awful movie. It was the last of the spy-couple action movies this year for me to see and boy, was it the worst.
When the other two had better actors, bigger budgets and more solid directors flopping, I should have just skipped this.
The plot makes no sense, Kutcher is downright horrible and normally I don't mind him, Heigl is cringe-worthy and they have no chemistry.
I wanted to stop watching after 17 minutes but just thought it had to get better.
Shouldn't waste my time.
D

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:18 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

D+

Unlike many posters here I like Katherine Heigl quite a bit. Not her personality as she often comes across as an arrogant bitch, but as an actress. She was quite good in Knocked Up and I enjoyed her turn in The Ugly Truth (an underrated comedy!). On top of that, I have enoyed most of Robert Luketic's films so far (escept Monster in Law). So despite horrible reviews and my inherent dislike for Ashton Kutcher, I still went to see this (granted, I didn't pay anything). Well...

This was every bit as bad as most said. Heigl and Kutcher have no chemistry whatsoever in this one. Most of the jokes really fall flat and the actual fun parts of the film are the action scenes. Who'd have thought that the action in this would be better than the humor?! But even that is not enough to save this ugly-looking, misguided "comedy" from failure. I admit, the final twist took me by surprise, but why shouldn't it? It is utterly ridiculous. So, Tom Selleck's character saw something, just assumed something and then sent several killers after his daughter's husband? So through his actions several people just got killed and in the end it is all fine, happy ending and happy family? It all felt like "Oh my, that was a misunderstanding! Nevermind the piles of dead bodies and the destruction you left behind. My bad. Anyway, now all is fine and we could all go out for dinner some day." That made absolutely no sense whatsoever. As a fan of horror and sci-fi movies I am all for suspension of disbelief, but this went too far to the point of being insulting.

I really can't stress enough that you should all pass on this film. It's a very very cheap True Lies knock-off, featuring a ridiculous plot, flat jokes (yeah, we get it, Catherine O'Hara's character is an alcoholic!), uninspired actors and mediocre action.

Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:58 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

This movies plot is ridiculous, Not really a lot of humor, and everything else is generic to the point. I think the movie had more potential if they showed the neighborhood of Assassins living together, could have made for a more interesting movie.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]