Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 23787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 952  Next
 Japan Box-Office: On Hiatus 
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box Office (2010); Jan. 30-31
Yoruichi back when she was Captain of Squad 2 (taught Byakuya the flash step). Episode... 205-215, somewhere in there.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:21 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:25 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

aah I remember seeing that but now she is shown so skinny that those factors things just don't show up :D

Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:34 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Who are your favorite Bleach characters?

Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:57 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Orihime ofcourse but they have build her up as a really nice characters not knowing well of her assets :)

There are many characters and I love most of their personalities but Orihime stands by far the best for me :D

Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:13 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

I liked Orihime less and less throughout the series, but (not sure how far you have read/watched, so tell me so I don't spoil things) I began to like her again during the Hueco Mundo Arc.

My favorites are: Byakuya, Rukia, Hitsugaya, Kenpachi, Yoruichi, Urahara, Renji, Mayuri, Nel, Nnoitra, and Yamamoto. Bleach's characters are probably it's strongest point.

I hate freakin Aizen and Tosen, which is unusual since I normally like the bad guys.

Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:35 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

I dont't prefer reading Manga's because they are hard to find and requires lot of dedication ;)

I have watched till Ep 255 and as of now it is ok. I somehow don't like Rukia or Byakuya. My list contains Orihime, Urahara, Ichigo, Nel, Ishida, Kenpachi, Hitsugaya, Kon :D . There are many many as you said bleach has really good characters and brings up surprise everytime a new series or characters begin

Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:54 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Kon? Haha.

Back to some BO:

Manichi is reporting that about 500 people were lined up outside the Cinema Sunshine theatre this morning for the post-show cast discussion. People began showing up at midnight to catch the first morning showings.

Some more pictures:
ImageImageImageImage
http://anime.blog.shinobi.jp/Entry/642

It looks like The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (first film based on the popular anime) is indeed going to pull in some big numbers this weekend based on theatre and crowd reports.

Last edited by Corpse on Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:42 pm
Profile WWW
The Dark Knight

I was wondering are there going to be any more epic anime films like

Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke..

I love those three.

Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:50 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

All of those are films directed by Hayao Miyazaki. His most recent film, Ponyo, isn't "epic", but it's very good and along with the three you mentioned they make up 4 of the Top 5 in Japan (USD). If you're looking for films closer to the three you listed however, check out his previous work: Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind and Laputa: Castle in the Sky.

In releated news, news on Studio Ghibli's latest:

Quote:
Studio Ghibli has announced that its newest feature film project, Karigurashi no Arrietty (The Borrower Arrietty), will open in Japanese theaters on July 17, 2010. The announcement was made during the television premiere of Ghibli and Hayao Miyazaki's Ponyo movie on February 5. The announcement included a teaser trailer for Karigurashi no Arrietty and an interview with Cécile Corbel, the Breton folk-singer & Celtic harpist from France who co-wrote and performed the "Arriety's Song" theme song.

Karigurashi no Arrietty is an adaptation of Mary Norton's The Borrowers (Yukashita no Kobito-tachi) fantasy novel. Studio Ghibli co-founder Hayao Miyazaki has been planning the film since July of 2008, but as previously revealed by producer Toshio Suzuki, Miyazaki is not directing the next film. 36-year-old animator Hiromasa Yonebayashi is making his directorial debut with this project.

The original, Carnegie Medal-winning 1952 novel revolves around the "little people" — 10 centimeters (about 4 inches) tall — who live underneath the floorboards of an English country house. (The Japanese title of the book literally means "the little people under the floor.") 14-year-old Arrietty and the rest of the Clock family live in peaceful anonymity as they make their own home from items "borrowed" from the house's human inhabitants. However, life changes for the Clocks when a human boy discovers Arrietty. Ghibli's adaptation will transport the setting from 1950s England to the Tokyo neighborhood of Koganei in 2010. (Koganei is the western Tokyo home of a number of Japanese animation studios, including Ghibli itself.)

The teaser (with an interview with Cécile Corbel, who co-wrote and performs the film's theme song).

It looks very pretty, the story is interesting, and the theme is very soothing. Looking forward to it.

Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:29 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Quote:
The film crossed $100m in its seventh weekend in Japan thanks to $6.3m from 577 that elevated the running total to $106.9m.

This makes it about the 13th biggest film in USD, and about 21st biggest film in Yen.

After 7 weeks:

Howl's Moving Castle - $125.7m

Harry Potter 1 - $120.5m
Ponyo - $118.2m
Bayside Shakedown 2 - $115.5m
Harry Potter 2 - $114m
Harry Potter 3 - $92.2m

Note: No weekly data on Titanic, Spirited Away, or Princess Mononoke.

Still trailing HP2, BS2, Ponyo, and HP1 by roughly the same amount as last weekend (10-12m or so) and it's 7th weekend is on par with them as well, a few higher, a few lower, but overall about the same in the 5-7m range. I'd say it's on track to finish around $140/145m, which would make it 8th or 9th biggest film (Hp2 grossed $142.8m and it currently 8th).

USD

1. Spirited Away - $234m
2. Titanic - $201.4m
3. Howl's Moving Castle - $190m
4. Ponyo on a Cliff - $172.2m
5. Princess Mononoke - $165.5m
6. Bayside Shakedown 2 - $164.5m
7. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - $152.9m
8. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - $142.8m
9. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - $121.6m
10. The Last Samurai - $119.3m
11. Jurassic Park - $116m
12. Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace - $109.9m
13. Avatar - $106.9m est.

*Armageddon is anywhere between 115-130m.

Yen

1 Spirited Away ¥30.4b
2 Titanic ¥25.9b
3 Howl's Moving Castle ¥22b
4 Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone ¥20.3b
5 Princess Mononoke ¥19.3b
6 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets ¥18b
7 Bayside Shakedown 2 ¥17.35b
8 Ponyo ¥15.5b
9 The Last Samurai ¥13.7b
10 Armageddon ¥13.5b
11 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban ¥13.5b
12 Jurassic Park ¥12.9b
13 Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace ¥12.7b
14 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire ¥11.5 b
15 Independence Day ¥11.3b
16 Nankyoku Monogatari ¥11.0b
17 Matrix Reloaded ¥11.0b
18 Finding Nemo ¥11.0b
19 Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End ¥10.9b
20 The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King ¥10.3b
21 Avatar ¥9.6 est.

Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:12 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Post Re: Japan Box Office (2010); Feb. 6-7, Arrietty teaser
The run is crazily good, though. Seriously, $150+ million would not shock me in the slightest anymore.

Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:28 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

It's run so far is the typical uber blockbuster (the films it's going to finish around) that occur almost every year. 2001 - Spirited Away, 2002 - HP1, 2003 - HP2/Bayside Shakedown 2/Last Samurai, 2004 - Howl's Moving Castle, 2005-2007 were the weaker years when the box office was reshaping itself, 2008 - Ponyo, 2010 - Avatar, and Bayside Shakedown 3 this summer which has massive potential, I'm thinking $200m is possible (same attendance as Bayside Shakedown 2 would get it there with the current market).

They have all had similar openings, weekend totals, etc (Spirited and Howl are a bit above the rest though). Amazing run for Avatar, but it's not unusual. However, it's the first Hollywood film to cross 100m since Pirates 3 in 2007, and it's the first Hollywood film that hasn't gradually dropped since it's opening since probably 2003, it's performing like a local film, and how Hollywood films used to do 6+ years ago.

Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:38 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

nice :thumbsup:

Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:21 pm
Quality is a great business plan

what's the ceiling for avatar in japan. can it run for another 2-3 months and crack 200m?

I used to be shawman.

Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:19 am
Forum General

Keyser Söze wrote:
what's the ceiling for avatar in japan. can it run for another 2-3 months and crack 200m?

I mean, it's kind of hard to tell? Films can pretty much defy gravity in Japan, which Avatar has done so far. $200m is probably out of reach, but you never know. I do think there is a fairly lucrative holiday week in March coming up, so there is that.

Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:22 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Keyser Söze wrote:

Like Jiffy said, it's difficult to say, but, based on the other uber blockbusters which it's running about even with each week now:

Note: No weekly data for Spirited Away, Titanic, or Princess Mononoke.

Howl's Moving Castle grossed about 51% more after it's week 7 total of $125.7m
Ponyo and Bayside Shakedown 2 grossed about 44% more after their week 7 totals of $118.2m (Ponyo) and $115.5m (Bayside Shakedown 2).
Harry Potter 1-3 grossed about 27% more after their week 7 totals of $92.2m (HP3), $114m (HP2), $120.5m (HP1).

And with Avatar's 7 week total of $106.9 (est),

If Avatar follows Howl's Moving Castle, it'll finish around $160m, good enough for 7th All Time in USD.

If Avatar follows Ponyo and Bayside Shakedown 2, it'll finish around $154m, also good enough for 7th All Time in USD.

And if Avatar follows the Harry Potter films, it'll finish around $136m, good for 9th All Time in USD.

My $140/145m might be a little too low of a projection based on this, actually. Avatar will hold better than the Harry Potter films, but I don't know if it'll hold quite as well as Howl's Moving Castle, Ponyo, or Bayside Shakedown 2. And an average of all three scenarios gives us about a $150m finish (8th All Time). At any rate, the likely range is $140-160 since it didn't really gain on any of them this week and has been running about even with them week after week.

I'm curious how Toho is going to react to such a total for Avatar with Bayside Shakedown 3 this summer, since Avatar has a chance of breaking their 3 year streak of having the top film.

Last edited by Corpse on Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:09 am, edited 5 times in total.

Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:42 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Edit: Post is fixed now.

Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:47 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Feb. 6-7, 2010 Admission Rankings

1 1 Avatar FOX 7
2 2 Oceans GAGA 3
3 3 About Her Brother Shochiku 2
4 NEW Invictus WB 1
5 4 Golden Slumber Toho 2
6 5 Shinkenger Vs Goonger Toei 2
7 NEW The Vanishment of Haruhi Suzumiya KadokawaShoten/Klock Worx 1
8 6 The Lovely Bones Paramount 2
9 8 Sayonara Itsuka Asmik Ace 3
10 7 Paranormal Activity Presidio 2

At first I thought Haruhi Suzmiya's opening was quite underwhelming with the reports of huge lines and everything, but, just read it only opened in 24 theaters, soooo, very impressive.

Toy Story/Toy Story 2 didn't make the top 10, oh well.

Films that open this week:

11th
Kôshônin: The movie - Taimu limitto kôdo 10,000 M no zunôsen (2010)

12th
Valentine's Day (2010)

13th
Død snø (2009)
Kwasok scandle (2008)
Hannah Montana: The Movie (2009)
Coraline (2009)
It's Complicated (2009)

Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:49 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

With 7 weeks at the top, Avatar is quickly climbing the "Most Weekends At No.1" chart.

Unfortunately, I don't know how many weekends Spirited Away, Titanic, or Princess Mononoke were at the top (safe to assume Spirited Away, which was in the Top 10 for about 30 weeks, and Titanic had more than 10 though), but besides those three, the best this past decade including Avatar.

Howl's Moving Castle - 10
Bayside Shakedown 2 - 9
Harry Potter 2 - 9
Harry Potter 1 - 8
Hero (07) - 7

The only summer release here is Bayside Shakedown 2. It'll be interesting to see how Bayside Shakedown 3 does this summer compared to it.

Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:55 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Wow 30 weeks for Spirited Away, that would be crazy. How much did it make in Japan at the end ?

Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:16 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Well, a concrete number isn't really known apparently in USD (Y30.4b yen though). There are three usual numbers floating around. BOM's $229m (which has to be a bit low since it was still doing six figures they they stopped tracking it), $234m which most anime articles list . Gotta watch though, some use current exchange rates which would put Spirited Away at $340m, so you see $300m sometimes, just goes to show how much the exchange rate can alter a films gross in Japan (and why I prefer tracking by local currency and attendance) since tickets have actually decreased a little since 2001, so no inflation really. And Toho Kingdom has $244m, which is probably the closest figure. I normally use $234, but maybe averaging BOM and Toho Kingdom would be better, so $236.5m.

So it had a multiplier in the low 20's.

Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:39 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Quote:

"Strong World", the 10th One Piece movie directed by the original author of the manga, Eiichiro Oda, will be screened at Berlin Festival (EFM - European Film Market) organised from February 11th until February 21st.

Real success in Japan with more than 3.6 million viewers [3.67], a month after the launch, the movie has just started its international distribution and has been released in Taiwan and South Korea.

During the Berlin festival, 2 HD screenings will take place at Marriott 1: February 14th at 7.30pm and February 17th at 8.50 am.

With more than 430 episodes produced by Toei Animation and already broadcasted in Japan , One Piece has also got a huge TV exposure in Europe : Virgin 17 in France, Tele 5 et RTL2 in Germany and Italia 1 in Italy !

For more information about the Festival: http://www.efm-berlinale.de
For more information about One Piece daily news, please go on the official website: http://www.onepiece-toeianimation.com

3.67m viewers would translate to a gross of about Y4.47b or $50.6m when using average ticket prices, but at door prices are 40% higher, so it's probably a little above those numbers. Strong World has also grossed 5x the previous top grosser of the franchise. And it's nice seeing Toei giving it an international release.

Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:21 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

I knew we could count on Japan when it comes to legs :D Avatar is doing superb job :)

Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:27 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya which opened at No. 6 or No. 7 this past weekend on just 24 screens pulled in 100m yen, which is a little over $1m, meaning it's gonna have a PTA over 40,000. The running time is also near 3 hours (173 mins), so even more impressive. This is comparable to Evangelion 2.0 which scored a mid 40,000 PTA on 120 screens last summer.

A few trailer updates:

Quote:
Here’s the trailer for Junichi Mimura‘s upcoming baseball film Bokutachi no Play Ball, which was filmed largely on location in Williamsport, Pennsylvania, home of the Little League World Series.

13-year-old Yuki Kohara stars as Kyuji, the son of a professional baseball player named Tsuneo (Eisaku Yoshida). Because of his father being on a Major League team, Kyuji lives in the US and plays Little League baseball with his best friend, Randy. However, Tsuneo injures his shoulder and is demoted to the minor leagues where he’s shuffled between teams. Instead of moving around the US, Tsuneo’s wife Kanako (Michiko Hada) decides it would be best to take Kyuji home to Japan for the time-being. Before he leaves, he makes a pact with Randy to meet up at the Little League World Series the following year.

While in Japan, Kyuji joins a new team called “Tokyo Little” on the suggestion of his classmate Saki (Ruka Sawaki). He initially gets frustrated and has trouble adjusting to the Japanese way of doing things, acting bossy with his new teammates and ignoring his coach. However, they eventually overcome these obstacles and come together as a team. As luck would have it, Tokyo Little manages to make it to the Little League World Series in Williamsport, fulfilling Kyuji’s pact with Randy and allowing his family to reunite in the US.

“Bokutachi no Play Ball” will be released by Go! Cinema on May 15, 2010.

Quote:
Here’s the full trailer for Kazuaki Ue‘s My Darling is a Foreigner. It starts out pretty much the same as the previously released teaser, but goes on to show a bit more of the dramatic side of the story. Cross-cultural relationships ain’t all screwball comedy, it seems.

The film is based on Saori Oguri’s autobiographical manga serial which detailed her relationship with American journalist Tony Laszlo. Their film counterparts are portrayed by 22-year-old Japanese actress Mao Inoue and 35-year-old California-born actor Jonathan Sherr.

“My Darling is a Foreigner” will be released by Toho on April 10, 2010.

My Darling is a Foreigner is getting some good buzz.

Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:04 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 23787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 952  Next