Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 À l'intérieur [Inside] 

What grade would you give this film?
A 100%  100%  [ 4 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

À l'intérieur [Inside] 

Post À l'intérieur [Inside]
Inside

Quote:
Inside (À l'intérieur) is a 2007 French horror film directed by Julien Maury and Alexandre Bustillo, starring Alysson Paradis and Béatrice Dalle. It was written by co-director Alexandre Bustillo, and is the first film from either director. It concerns the attack and home-invasion of a young pregnant woman by a mysterious stranger who seeks to take her unborn baby.

Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:19 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Post Re: À l'intérieur [Inside]
INSIDE - 10/10 (A+)

Words just cannot describe the experience that is this movie. Even after hearing how brilliant it was I still wasn't expecting a lot from it. This went above and beyond my expectations and is one of the best horror films I've ever seen. The set-up is really well-done and creepy. Especially the stuff with the woman outside the window. There are some really brilliant shots and the atmosphere is great. And once it gets going it doesn't let up. This is easily one of the bloodiest films I've ever seen.

Anyone who calls themselves a horror fan has to see this film. The French sure know their horror.

Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:30 pm
Wallflower

I had my boss watch this but wasn't so sure she would like it. She hated MAY and HIGH TENSION and she's pretty closed-minded when it comes to movies. Plus she doesn't like subtitles. But since I was raving about it I had her really curious. She called me today and she really liked it. She said it was incredibly creepy, though really nasty and she hated what happened to the woman in the end. She actually watched it with her kids (their ages range from like 12-16) because she didn't know it would be as bad as it was, even though I told her it was really gory. Anyway, they liked it too and thought it was creepy.

Sat May 03, 2008 6:35 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

An excellent horror film. It's incredibly unsettling and disturbing, and the atmosphere that is created is absolutely phenomenal. The direction is fantastic and should serve as a textbook example on how to successfully make a slasher film. The first few sequences in the house are absolutely haunting and the film never lets up from there. The acting was also really good. Beatrice Dalle was terrifying as the villain, and I really enjoyed Alysson Paradis as the heroine. However, I disagree with some reviews I read that said that by the end you sympathize with both characters. Although I thought the character of La Femme was an excellent villain, I absolutely hated her and was honestly kind of upset with the very end of the film because of that. I also had a problem with a few other aspects (the CGI was honestly quite horrible, to be honest, and most of the time fairly unnecessary. What was the point of the dream sequence with the cat early on, for example? I wasn't a fan of the constant shots of the fetus - and I didn't understand the logic behind some of the characters' actions), but overall it's a truly chilling experience. A-

Wed May 21, 2008 2:53 am
Profile YIM
loyalfromlondon

Jesus fucking Christ.

I don't really get squeamish during movies, but I almost had to shut this one off when she started cutting open her pregnant stomach. The gore in this movie is almost too much to handle, as it's not the ridiculous, over-the-top variety favoured by zombie movies and the like, but instead something more down-to-earth and realistic and off-putting. But, in a sick way, that's part of its appeal.

And that's not just to say it's all about the gore. It develops a very distinctive and moody atmosphere early, and keeps it throughout all the carnage. There's an almost smoky look to the scenes in the house (as a result of the riots?), emphasizing the ghostly appearance of la femme. It's very creepy and restrained before all the blood starts pouring.

Once it does, though, there's no letting up. But it's not the type of film to blow its load in one bloodbath near the end. It slowly builds up the amount of gore throughout, constantly one-upping itself, until the aforementioned stomach cutting scene (the climax of the gore, if you will). The use of spurting and pooling and pouring blood to artistically redecorate the house is akin to something like Suspiria. It's all an aesthetic choice; it's not merely to disgust and disturb us. Though it does that as well.

I don't know if I can ever watch it again, but yeah, totally brilliant. The last couple years have been a hotbed for foreign horror.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:02 pm
Teenage Dream

Glad you saw it, trix.

Yeah, it really is an out-and-out masterpiece. The French have horror on total lock down right now. They seem to get it; horror can be beautiful AND scary.

Inside does such a phenomenal job with this balance. Not only is it truly frightening, but the scares are communicated through expertly composed mise-en-scene. I love the way Le femme just kind of floats in and out of the frame, especially that scene where she slowly comes into focus in the background, hovering over Sarah while she is sleeping on the couch, and then slowly falls back into the shadows. Perfect camera placement, perfect lighting, perfect editing.

Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:12 pm
loyalfromlondon

makeshift wrote:
Glad you saw it, trix.

Yeah, it really is an out-and-out masterpiece. The French have horror on total lock down right now. They seem to get it; horror can be beautiful AND scary.

Inside does such a phenomenal job with this balance. Not only is it truly frightening, but the scares are communicated through expertly composed mise-en-scene. I love the way Le femme just kind of floats in and out of the frame, especially that scene where she slowly comes into focus in the background, hovering over Sarah while she is sleeping on the couch, and then slowly falls back into the shadows. Perfect camera placement, perfect lighting, perfect editing.

Indeed, that was a brilliant moment. It's so restrained and soft that you're not quite sure if what you're seeing is actually happening, and that makes it even scarier.

The gore is out-of-this-world. I was shitting myself through most of the last act.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:22 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

What.The.FUCK!!

Thats it, thats my review.

PS: Le Femme is like a freaky Scissor's welding specter that will haunt my dreams.

Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:48 pm
Wallflower

Has anyone else experienced this movie?

Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]