Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 The Book of Eli 

What grade would you give this film?
A 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
B 58%  58%  [ 7 ]
C 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
D 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 12

The Book of Eli 
Extraordinary

Post The Book of Eli
The Book of Eli

Quote:
The Book of Eli is a 2010 American action film directed by the Hughes brothers, written by Gary Whitta, and starring Denzel Washington, Gary Oldman, Mila Kunis and Jennifer Beals.

The story revolves around Eli, a nomad in a post-apocalyptic world, who is charged with delivering his copy of a book, the last remaining Bible (a King James Version translation) to a safe location on the West Coast of the United States. The history of the post-war world is explained along the way as is the importance of Eli's task. Filming began in February 2009 and took place in New Mexico.

The movie was released for theaters in January 2010. Alcon Entertainment financed and co-produced the film with Silver Pictures, while it was distributed by Warner Bros. in the US, and international sales handled by Summit Entertainment.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:08 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: The Book of Eli
I quite enjoyed it.

It's clearly borrowing from the entire post-apocalypse sub-genre, but it makes this very apparent with the "A Boy and his Dog" poster that shows up. It's very aware of its inspirations. And, unlike something like The Road, it at least does something interesting with its setting and story. People calling it preachy and religious are kinda missing the point.

I'm pretty sure Gulli will love it.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:51 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

I enjoyed it as well.

Nice pacing, solid story, above average acting all around pretty much. Awesome action. Good all around.

***/****

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:14 pm
Pure Phase

--

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Last edited by David on Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:38 am
Forum General

Gunslinger wrote:
A futuristic western, the fifth film by the Hughes brothers stars Denzel Washington as a mysterious (and well-armed) traveler heading west through a wasteland plagued by thieves. In his possession is the last surviving King James Bible. A violent confrontation ensues when he runs afoul of a small town tin-pot dictator (Gary Oldman) who hopes to use the Bible to wield greater power over the world's surviving population.

This is an entertaining and well-crafted film. The Hughes' Mad Max-style vision of the future is disturbing and vivid and the action sequences are fast-paced, tight, and violent. The highlight is an extended shootout presented as a single shot, à la the finale of Children of Men. Washington delivers a convincing, understated performance, while Oldman's villainous turn is colorful and commanding. Mila Kunis also impresses.

Though first and foremost an adventure film, the film also serves as a wry comment on how religion and knowledge can be used to inspire or, in the wrong hands, exploit and destroy. A very relevant message in 2010.

A-

Agree on the above as too tired to comment and Mila Kunis is sure a nice bit of eye candy.

Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:09 am
---------

I was extremely impressed. It borrows a lot from other post-apocalyptic films, yes, but The Book of Eli is indeed its own film. The action is so well-choreographed and the story is very unpredictable in a good way. I loved how Gunslinger called it a futuristic western, great call! It might be too early to say, but I don't think Denzel Washington has ever been cooler than in this movie. You really won't believe the ending. I really need to rewatch it now!

A-

Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:35 pm
Forum General

MG Casey wrote:
I was extremely impressed. It borrows a lot from other post-apocalyptic films, yes, but The Book of Eli is indeed its own film. The action is so well-choreographed and the story is very unpredictable in a good way. I loved how Gunslinger called it a futuristic western, great call! It might be too early to say, but I don't think Denzel Washington has ever been cooler than in this movie. You really won't believe the ending. I really need to rewatch it now!

A-

think movies like this have always been called a type of western. FYI, in 1977 they called Star Wars a different type of a western themed movie.

Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:48 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

The best large budget apocalypse film I have seen since Mad Max Thunderdome. I was honestly amazed at how good this was. I drooled for films like doomsday and they failed me and yet this one delivered.

The end was a nice reverse of canticle. In the novel religion save knowledge from the masses but now its the other way around.

Its in my top 5 apocalypse movies its just great. I loved Malcolm McDowell as the curator as a nod to Fallout 3.

Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:02 am
Stanley Cup

Enjoyed it greatly. The visuals were stunning and the action kicked ass. The story was also well done

B+

Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:46 pm
Forum General

Gulli wrote:
The best large budget apocalypse film I have seen since Mad Max Thunderdome. I was honestly amazed at how good this was. I drooled for films like doomsday and they failed me and yet this one delivered.

The end was a nice reverse of canticle. In the novel religion save knowledge from the masses but now its the other way around.

Its in my top 5 apocalypse movies its just great. I loved Malcolm McDowell as the curator as a nod to Fallout 3.

Agreed there have been many...but here is one I liked > 12 Monkeys.

Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:31 pm
The Dark Knight

Meh, nothing happens...

B-

Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:50 am
The Lubitsch Touch

i award it a D

Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:19 pm
Killing With Kindness

boring as fuckin hell,

BJs Grade:

D-

well deserved, I thought I would be watching grade A awesomeness with both Oldman and Washington in the same film, I have never been more disappointing, it felt like so much potential was wasted, so boring and as mandeep says, nothing happens.

Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:42 pm
Profile WWW
George A. Romero

it had a few dull spots here and there, but overall i thought it was good.

B

Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:26 pm
The Wall

4/10 -> D

It's all over the place. The best thing it has is its visual look. The story starts out as deadpan serious, but by the time everything unfolds it becomes hilarious. It's not that the idea was bad, but the execution wasn't stellar exactly. And the big twist about the Bible pretty much nullifies his unwillingness to give it up, IMHO. But I wasn't bored. I was amused and interested how more hilarious this thing can get. So I give it props for that.

Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:35 am
Profile WWW

D team as well.

Nod to Fallout 3, eh?

F then.

Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:47 am
Profile WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

The Book of Eli is a lowly, terribly presented post-apocalyptic film. Denzel Washington feels stale a majority of the time in his portrayal of Eli. For one, the film tries to go all comic book like having Eli use his big knife and just destroy anyone in his path. The two encounters he has like this in the first act end up being rushed and placed for a bit of filler. Once the plot of the film gets itself going it begins to find a bit of footing. Though once Solara (Mila Kunis) enters the picture, it becomes a bit pathetic again and a bit typical. "They're going to kill my mom!" routine is so completely bland and overused that it earned itself a chuckle when said. Eli and Solara's journey becomes predictable as they walk on and when they encounter Carnegie (Gary Oldman) again, the way the events between the two unfold is predictable and the result near the end of the film can already be hinted at a good bit. Once the big reveal comes around it seems as if the entire film could of been easily solved in a short 20-minute film let alone a 2-hour one. The religion angle is weak here and a different representation of the message should of been used and could of saved the film's ending and actually the entire film a good bit. Kunis becomes too whiny throughout and Oldman tries to succeed with his character but ultimately fails. Another mishap in the post-apocalyptic genre. *

Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:40 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

awful

Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:17 pm
Profile ICQ
Pure Phase

Ooh, I overrated this.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:46 pm
The Incredible Hulk

As did I, probably.

Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:56 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I remember after first seeing this I thought it was pretty decent. I dug the visuals and it has some solid action scenes, but the biggest problems are obviously it's about 20 minutes too long and the middle section is VERY boring.

I was really looking forward to this because of the Denzel/Oldman combination and it's disappointing that it doesn't deliver on that front, but at the end of the day I would still take this over something like Safe House at least.

Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:22 pm
Pure Phase

It is an awesome movie on a visual level, but the final minutes are very deflating and sermonizing, definitely.

Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:31 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

David wrote:
It is an awesome movie on a visual level, but the final minutes are very deflating and sermonizing, definitely.

What did you expect?!?!?!

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:34 am
now we know

Thought it was good. Not groundbreaking.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:30 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]