Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Paranormal Activity 

What grade would you give this film?
A 38%  38%  [ 11 ]
B 21%  21%  [ 6 ]
C 17%  17%  [ 5 ]
D 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
F 17%  17%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 29

Paranormal Activity 
You must have big rats

Post Paranormal Activity
Paranormal Activity

Quote:
Paranormal Activity is a 2009 American horror film written and directed by Oren Peli. It premiered at Screamfest Film Festival in North America on October 14, 2007, and was shown at the Slamdance Film Festival on January 18, 2008. The film received a limited U.S. release on September 25, 2009, and nationwide release on October 16, 2009.

The film centers on a young couple, Katie and Micah, who are haunted by a supernatural presence in their home; it is presented in the style of "found footage," from a camera set up by the couple in an attempt to photograph what is haunting them. The style establishes the film as part of the Fourthwall Cinema movement.

Paranormal Activity earned nearly $108 million at the U.S. box office and US$194 million worldwide on a reported budget of $15,000. Paramount/DreamWorks acquired the U.S. rights for $350,000. The film is one of the most profitable movies ever made, based on return on investment, although such figures are difficult to verify independently and are likely to exclude marketing costs. The film was nominated for "best first feature" in the Independent Spirit Awards 2009.

Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:08 pm
Profile WWW
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Post Re: Paranormal Activity
I'd love to discuss it if it actually came to the city I live in which is St.Louis... I mean, why doesn't Paramount simply release this nation wide if it's that good, you know, release it on like 3500 screens cause at this point, it almost seems like a cheap marketing ploy doing it this way when supposedly, everyone wants to see it and can't unless they drive to another city to do so and the closest for me is Chicago and I'm not flying or driving 6 hours to see a movie that's like less than 90 minutes in length.. Loyal does shit like this, I refuse..

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:51 am
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

I recieved a text message that said this movie was boring.

Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:27 pm
Forum General

I'm sure many people will find it boring.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:10 pm
Profile YIM WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

yoshue wrote:
I recieved a text message that said this movie was boring.

I also told you not to tell anyone.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:14 pm
Wallflower

MR. GREEN wrote:
I'd love to discuss it if it actually came to the city I live in which is St.Louis... I mean, why doesn't Paramount simply release this nation wide if it's that good, you know, release it on like 3500 screens cause at this point, it almost seems like a cheap marketing ploy doing it this way when supposedly, everyone wants to see it and can't unless they drive to another city to do so and the closest for me is Chicago and I'm not flying or driving 6 hours to see a movie that's like less than 90 minutes in length.. Loyal does shit like this, I refuse..

It would be stupid of them to just release it wide so soon. Paramount knows what they're doing and I for one love this release plan. I love that people are going crazy in anticipation and everyone is talking about it. It will end up with more money this way than it would if they just released it wide right away. I think that would hurt it. I also don't think they should show it all throughout the day like most movies. I think they should keep it at one or two showtimes later in the evening at each theater. Besides, I believe once it does go wide everyone will just hate on it anyway, like with Blair Witch.

Even though I can't wait to see it and I have to wait longer this way I still don't mind. I don't want them to go wide until Halloween weekend, and even then just a hair over 1,000 theaters.

This is exciting :D.

Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:10 pm
Horror Hound

Who rated it F?

No one here has seen it yet.

Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:18 am
Horror Hound

Can you reset the poll Lecter?

Bkb obviously is been a troll.

Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:22 am

Kris K wrote:
Can you reset the poll Lecter?

Bkb obviously is been a troll.

I'm sure Lecter can more than vouch that I was the 1 who did NOT vote this an "F" and he can see who voted and it wasn't ME douche.. :roll:

Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:17 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

I believe it was Chip Munkington who saw it, hated it, and rated it an "F." ;)

Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:44 pm
You must have big rats

I refuse to accept an F unless the person who gave the F explicitely states it so.

Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:48 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

A

Fuck. Woah. I'm seeing it again next weekend, and I'm bringing everyone I know.

Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:08 am

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbc ... /910089996

Ebert enjoyed it.. Here's his review:

Paranormal Activity

/ / / October 7, 2009

Cast & CreditsHerself Katie Featherston
Himself Micah Sloat
The Psychic Mark Fredrichs

Paramount presents a film directed and written by Oren Peli. Screenplay by Running time: 96 minutes. MPAA rating: R for language.

by Roger Ebert

"Paranormal Activity" is an ingenious little horror film, so well made it's truly scary, that arrives claiming it's the real thing. Without any form of conventional opening or closing credits, it begins by thanking "the families of Micah Sloat and Katie Featherston" and closes with one of those "current whereabouts unknown" title cards and a screen of copyright notices. This was apparently a film made without a director, a writer, a producer, grips, makeup, sound, catering or a honey wagon.

All of the footage is presented as if it had been discovered after the fact. The story device is that Micah shot it himself. There isn't a single shot that violates that presumption, although a few seem technically impossible without other hands on the camera. Those are hard to notice.

Katie is a graduate student of English. Micah is a day trader. They've been together three years, and have now moved into a house in San Diego that doesn't seem much lived in. It's well enough furnished, but everything looks new and there's no clutter. Micah greets Katie out front one day by filming her on his new video camera, which she observes looks bigger than his other one.

They've been bothered by indications of some sort of paranormal activity in an upstairs bedroom. Micah's bright idea is to film in the house, leaving the camera running as a silent sentinel while they sleep. Like any man with a new toy, he becomes obsessed with this notion -- the whole point, for him, isn't Katie's fear but his film. After one big scare, she asks him incredulously, did you actually go back to pick up your camera?

One benefit of the story device is that for long periods of time the camera is ostensibly left on with no one running it. It's on a tripod at the end of their bed while they sleep, and we see events while their eyes are closed. Some of these events and very minor, and I won't describe any of them. The fact that they happen at all is the whole point. That they seem to happen by themselves, witnessed by a static camera, makes them eerie, especially since there are some shots that seem impossible without special effects, and there's no visible evidence of f/x, looking as closely as we can.

He is frequently off camera. She is on cam for almost every shot, and of Katie Featherston's performance it's enough to say it is flawless for the purposes of this film. We're not talking Meryl Streep here, we're talking about a young woman who looks and talks absolutely like she might be an ordinary college student who has just moved in with her boyfriend. There's not a second of "acting."

Micah behaves, shall I say, just like a man. You know, the kind who will never stop and ask directions. Katie has been bothered by some sort of paranormal presence since she was a child, and now she's seriously disturbed, and Micah's response isn't sympathy but a determination to get it all down on film.

They do call in a "psychic expert" (Mark Fredrichs) but he's no help. He specializes in ghosts, he explains, and he knows by walking in the door that what's haunting them isn't a ghost but some sort of demonic presence. He recommends a demonologist, but alas this man is "away for a few days." That's the plot's most unrealistic detail. Having spent some time in my credulous days hanging about the Bodhi Tree bookstore in L.A., I would suggest that California is a state with more practicing demonologists than published poets.

I learn from IMDb that "Paranormal Activity" does indeed have a writer-director, Oren Peli, and other technical credits. But like "The Blair Witch Project," with which it's routinely compared, it goes to great lengths to seem like a film found after the event. It works. It illustrates one of my favorite points, that silence and waiting can be more entertaining than frantic fast-cutting and berserk f/x. For extended periods here, nothing at all is happening, and believe me, you won't be bored.

Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:55 am
Profile WWW
Horror Hound

Nice Ebert review, but his opinion means shit to me.

Glad you liked a horror film for once Dark Shape.

Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:38 am

Here's a negative review from the Austin Chronicle.. Currently, PA sits at 90% FRESH with 55 reviews so far and 6 negative..

Paranormal Activity
Year Released: 2009
Directed By: Oren Peli
Starring: Katie Featherston, Micah Sloat, Michael Bayouth
(R, 96 min.)

Don't believe the hype: Paranormal Activity may be a lot of things, but the words "scary" and "movie" are not among them. It is instead nothing more or less than an excruciatingly tedious YouTube gag cleverly marketed to go viral in the broadest and most box office-friendly way. (On the other hand, Paramount's midnight-screening, street-team hype machine is to be congratulated for pulling such a fast one on both audiences and critics alike. Who says you can't have your shit and eat it too?) Like The Blair Witch Project, its far creepier antecedent, Paranormal Activity purports to exist as actual found footage – the opening text says it was discovered by the San Diego Police Department – but that's no excuse for foisting a poorly acted (whoops! make that "realistic"), shoddily conceived, anti-art-directed nonstarter that pays off only in its final 10 seconds on a gullible moviegoing public that only wants to have its collective hair raised. At 96 minutes, it's at least 90 minutes too long, and most damning of all, it's just plain dull. What little there is of a plot hangs on the irritatingly senseless, often just plain dopey suburban couple of Katie (Featherston) and Micah (Sloat). Plagued by mysterious thuds in the night, Micah invests in some pricey video- and sound-recording gear and begins taping the couple as they sleep. Precious little ensues until those final 10 seconds, and even those will arrive as no surprise to anyone who ever bothered to open one of those faddish "shocker" e-mails of a few years back (you know, the ones that guided you to a website featuring some random scene of pastoral beauty which dawdled on forever until suddenly a loud noise and a scary face blasted onto your monitor and freaked your adrenals into overdrive). Yeah, Paranormal Activity is exactly like that but without the one-trick pony grazing in the verdant field. It'd be laughable if it weren't such a flagrant "fuck you" to fans of genuine horror cinema. On a hunch, I broke out my Hellboy Ouija board post-screening and very politely asked the spirits, "WTF?" To my surprise, the planchette did indeed begin to creep across the board, but the message was always the same: "s … u … c … k … e … r."
Marc Savlov [2009-10-09]

:hahaha:

Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:50 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

My friend saw it twice yesterday. He said it's one of the best horror movies he's ever seen and it actually scared him.

I may now never see this :/

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:46 am
Horror Hound

Why not?

Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:42 am

Chip Munkington wrote:
My friend saw it twice yesterday. He said it's one of the best horror movies he's ever seen and it actually scared him.

I may now never see this :/

I thought you already seen this and voted it an "F"?? If not, then who was it that voted this an "F"??

Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:02 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Kris K wrote:
Why not?

I hate jumpy movies. I can't handle it.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:51 am
Horror Hound

Oh right, lol.

So you didn't vote it F?

Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:08 pm
You must have big rats

Two people actually voted an F. Morons.

Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:04 pm
Profile WWW
Horror Hound

Delete them then, they havent posted their review.

Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:14 pm

If you are bothered by the grades, don't look at them. Wait and read actual reviews.

Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:05 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

One of the scariest movies I've ever seen. So many sequences here are just bone-chilling and the ending will haunt my dreams for weeks. A

Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:19 am
Profile YIM
Cream of the Crop

It had moments where it was interesting which did spur conversation after the movie had ended but ultimately that wasn't enough to make it a satisfying experience.

Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:07 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 157 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next