Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Eyes Wide Shut 

What grade would you give this film?
A 79%  79%  [ 15 ]
B 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
C 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 19

Eyes Wide Shut 
Begging Naked

Post Re: Eyes Wide Shut
My #3 Kubrick (Behind Dr. Strangelove and 2001, natch).

Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:01 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

This is one of my favorite movies. It's great! Very hypnotic. Nicole Kidman is terrific!

9/10 (A- or A, not sure)

Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:47 pm
Well I'm not stoned, I'm just fucked up - I got so high I can't stand up

Wow, lots of negativity in here. :( I loved it, Kubrick goes out with a bang.

A-

Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:00 pm
Cream of the Crop

great tom cruise vehicle!

Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:31 pm
Profile ICQ
The Lubitsch Touch

Heinrich Himmler wrote:
great tom cruise vehicle!

so is this

Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:50 am
Forum General

C

I can understand the wholly relatable topic of infidelity, temptation and so on, so forth, but it's rather heavy handed, and it could be my youth speaking but I can't really relate to the characters and I honestly wouldn't. To me, at least, the Hatford's are still immature children. The all too familiar argument is realistic, but her drowning her sorrows in booze and weed, is childish. Alice has a daughter but she's acting like a rich bitch, superior to the world, and of course, she doesn't even work. Until the point Alice saddled Bill with her ridiculous fantasies, he was clear from insecurities and, he was supposedly immune to other men's attempts at charming his wife. That is a redeeming quality but of course the script goes on to tear it apart, and maybe it's unfounded, but only because Alice is being, again a total bitch. She purposefully does all of this, in my eyes she's acting like a teenager. She doesn't grow as a character, she remains unhappy and shallow. So, my questioning here is, how is it relatable? It's painting out a picture of the unhappily married and why would I want to relate to it. It's probably accurate, and in that sense it is powerful, aside from the hammy orgy scene, but, it is also in a sense tragic because, it speaks of our society. The rich, the shallow, the immature and the typical, rooting humanity to repeating the same old mistake or rather simply regressing or stagnating at a point. These people represented is not the kind of people I would want the world to have. We are but human, but we can strive to be better, and it may be idealistic but I'd like to believe that there are people who can attain a love that is free from society's or humanity's insecurities, scars and expectations and similarly people out there who do more than sit around mansions engaging in selfish infantile activities.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:03 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

BK wrote:
it could be my youth speaking

This.

BK wrote:
We are but human, but we can strive to be better, and it may be idealistic but I'd like to believe that there are people who can attain a love that is free from society's or humanity's insecurities, scars and expectations...

:hahaha: :funny:

Thu May 03, 2012 7:49 am
A very honest-hearted fellow

I found the film somewhat frightening and much better than when I watched it as a horny 15 year old.

Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:49 am
Profile WWW
now we know

This is A material. Rare for Kubrick to make such a great film.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:19 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I've come to like this movie. Still not quite sure I fully grasp it but the mystique of it is enjoyable.

Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:35 pm
Devil's Advocate

Everything up through the sex party was great. I liked the opening scenes with Cruise and Kidman's relationship and the cracks in it, and her story about the naval officer and his reaction to it. Watching Cruise walk around at night in his various activities reminded me a bit of After Hours, and the costume owner was classic Kubrick comedy like the guy that shoots the the coke machine in Dr Strangelove. The sex cult scene itself was impressively directed. I feel the movie starts to slip a bit after he gets out, maybe in part because he gets away with his life too easy and he's not quite scared enough? And the scenes retracing his steps finding the hooker's friend, Nick's fate, the girl that OD'd, the costume guy taking a payoff, etc. just didn't quite land for me in terms of what it overall says about people and society. The scene with Sydney Pollack giving kind of a bad guy confession speech and laying out the whole plot felt beneath Kubrick to me. It was still a tense thriller but not as unique as the first half of the film. I wanted more from Kidman's character in the second half of the film but her last scene is excellent. Overall very solid Kubrick thriller and take on relationships where people have buried things, but not a masterpiece.

Sun May 19, 2019 2:27 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

It opens really well and the conversation between Kidman and Cruise was SO GOOD it made the movie intriguing to follow through but then the sex party happens and nothing from that conversation follows. The whole part with sex cult was shot really nicely but everything after that does not intrigue. Very disappointed with the ending as well. There is no real closure given for the character. They should have expanded Kidman's character here to increase some tension. Intriguing but ended up missed opportunity.

Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:36 am
Forum General

I need to re-watch this one day, because I remember seeing it a very long time ago and not really caring for it honestly. I'm not a big Stanley Kubrick fan though outside of The Shinning and Full Metal Jacket which I do love, but I also love Cruise and Kidman, although Days of Thunder is more of my kind of movie. I also forget that this movie is almost 3 hours long which is probably the reason why I couldn't get into it back in the day.

Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:57 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I forgot to mention the score in the film is amazing. The score was sexy and haunting at the same time with the use of minimalistic tones which is a rare feet and it was really effective in bringing tension in parts where the movie couldn't otherwise achieve.

Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:51 pm
The Kramer

A great film if you don't mind following Tom Cruise around for an extra weird day in the life type of story. It works very well in the moment, but I don't think it leaves as strong of an impression as Kubrick's elites. Middle tier Kubrick still has a huge WAR though. I'd probably have this straddling the A-/B+ borderline.

I agree with Jack that they should have also showed Kidman's half of the night, even if it was just for an extra twenty minutes or so. Maybe she finds her way to the party too.

Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2