Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Terminator Salvation 

What grade would you give this film?
A 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
B 52%  52%  [ 16 ]
C 32%  32%  [ 10 ]
D 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
F 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 31

Terminator Salvation 
Dont Mess with the Gez

Post Terminator Salvation
Terminator Salvation

Quote:
Terminator Salvation is a 2009 American science fiction action film directed by McG and starring Christian Bale and Sam Worthington. The fourth installment in the Terminator series, the film is set in 2018 and focuses on the war between Skynet and humanity, with the human Resistance fighting against Skynet's killing machines. This is a departure from the previous installments, which were set between 1984 and 2004 and used time travel as a key plot element. Bale portrays John Connor, a Resistance fighter and the franchise's central character, while Worthington portrays cyborg Marcus Wright. Terminator Salvation also features Anton Yelchin as a young Kyle Reese, a character first introduced in The Terminator, and depicts the origin of the T-800 Model 101 Terminator.

After a troubled pre-production, with The Halcyon Company acquiring the rights for the franchise from Andrew G. Vajna and Mario Kassar and several writers working on the screenplay, filming began in May 2008 in New Mexico and ran for 77 days. Terminator Salvation was released on May 21, 2009 in the United States and Canada, followed by early June releases in the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa. The film grossed over $371 million worldwide.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Wed May 20, 2009 1:15 am
The Kramer

Post Re: Terminator Salvation
Spoilers-

I really liked this. Apocalyptic sci-fi is always difficult to pull off, but McG did a fairly decent job here. It's clear right from the start that things aren't going well for the resistance, until a certain Marcus Wright appears. Worthington is the star of the picture, no doubt about it. No disrespect to Bale, but his character is just along for the ride here, trying his best to keep him and his 20 year old future Father alive. There is a reason the movie is called Terminator Salvation. The movie is about Marcus' second chance at life. His first act? "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!" I've never been a fan of the NO! shout. He does it twice in the movie, and that's really the only time when you don't like his character. Despite being mostly machine, he's the most human of the entire bunch. Why? Because he didn't live through Judgement Day. He was dead when it happened.

But of course the reason the see it is because of the awesome robots. T4 has plenty of those. My favorite new robot is the Harvester, the giant robot who has other terminators disattach from it's body. The action sequence that starts and ends with the Harvester is the highlight of the movie, it's really great. That and the beginning of the final action sequence. Slow tilt up with the Terminator music playing - it's AHHNOLD! OMG! But it really isn't. Still really cool to see him though. It wouldn't have felt complete without him in it.

The ending is real problem. I remember the original ending had Connor dying and his flesh being placed on Marcus' body. That does not happen here. Marcus saves John instead(the opposite of what he was built to do), but at a great sacrifice. It's a little confusing as it's happening, and then there's a Bale monologue - cut to black. What happened there? I guess T3 already had the "I'm in charge" ending, but something similar here would have helped.

So overall, B+.

Wed May 20, 2009 11:26 am
Veteran

+ Action is very good
+ Special effects are good
+ Sam Wortington steals every scene he's in
+ Nice Arnold "cameo"
+ Still fun to watch pissed Bale
+ Loved the way the film was shot

- Story was flimsy
- No character development at all outside of Marcus' character

Honestly, if this movie was half an hour longer, we could have had a real winner here. Some real character development could have allowed the audience to connect more with the movie. I just wasn't connected to the movie emotionally as I was with say Star Trek.

Last edited by Speevy on Fri May 22, 2009 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 21, 2009 3:06 am
Profile WWW

I'm shocked at the support here....There is A LOT wrong with this movie. I'll preface this whole thing by saying I know very little about Terminator, I haven't seen more than 2 minutes of any of the prior films and know very little of the lore or background story.
This movie is not very good. But being the undying optimist I will begin with the positives. First of all, everytime Worthington and Bale are on the screen together the movie actually seems good. Bale is getting a bad wrap here, he gives a very solid, albeit underdeveloped performance, and when these two can connect the chemistry (no not romantic chemistry, although personally I wouldn't mind) is palbable. The movie is also very solid when it is flying by at breakneck speed due to an action sequence or one of several awesome chase scenes. While watching these parts you completely forget about the shoddy dialogue and weak story telling, and instead focus on the attributes automatically.
However, anytime there isn't a crazy explosion or chase sequence, and anytime Bale and Worthington are seperate, the movie is weak. During all of these numerous scenes the film lags horribly, and you can't help but notice the amateur directing style, simplistic and weak dialogue and inept storytelling. I'd like to say that it's okay this is a bad film because it is so much fun, or it's so cool (ala Speed Racer) but that's just not true. There are a lot of amazing images and incredible things on display here, but they all fizzle out and your left wondering why oh why anybody contracted MCG to direct this film, when there are so many great film-makers out there.

Summary: the film is actually very solid and enjoyable during the action sequences, and when we can admire the special effects, as well as anytime Worthington and Bale are allowed to bring their considerable acting talents together. However the story is very poorly wrought, the shaky cam is annoying, the dialogue is annoyingly simplistic, and the entire filming style is weak and unrefined.
3/5
*note- I recently decided my out of 10 ranking allowed too many different scores and was to hard to manage, so now it is out of 5 without half stars, however I added one ranking, a "perfect 10" which is simply my very very top ranking, above 5/5.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Last edited by Michael A on Thu May 21, 2009 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 21, 2009 7:34 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

So I'm going to love it.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu May 21, 2009 7:48 pm

Munksyuk wrote:
So I'm going to love it.

If you love mediocre, conventual, and poorly wrought action flicks with a few great attributes, (which it seems you do) than absolutely.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Thu May 21, 2009 9:38 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

I love movies you hate. Because you have awful taste.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu May 21, 2009 9:57 pm

Munksyuk wrote:
I love movies you hate. Because you have awful taste.

What movies are you referring to? I hate about 1/20 movies that I watch, I'm actually one of the most optimistic film watchers I know. And I far from hate this film, I would actually say I enjoyed it, more or less.
And everybodies taste is their own, what's the point of calling one person's taste bad?

Thu May 21, 2009 10:01 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Because it is.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu May 21, 2009 10:02 pm
Confessing on a Dance Floor

anyway....

Just got back from a 6PM showing that was about 30-35% full. I liked it. Not perfect by any means but great action scense and better than I thought story.

Spoiler: show
so let me see if I get this straight though... Reese meets John before ever conceiving him? That's both retarded and cool all at the same time.

Thu May 21, 2009 10:34 pm
Veteran

Reese tells Sarah Conner in the original that John sent him to protect Sarah.

Thu May 21, 2009 10:45 pm
Profile WWW

gotcha. So really none of the events in the any of the movies so far have changed the history of the world as it will have happened through 2029. Everything we have seen must happen. Weird. I guess I should revisit the other movies now.

Thu May 21, 2009 11:50 pm
Extraordinary

Not Another Primate Soap Opera

...aka...

Terminator Salvation

...aka...

...the long awaited reboot of the classic fourth entry in the Planet of the Apes series: Conquest of the Planet of the Apes...

Whatever name you give this dung heap, it'll always be a stinkin' pile of manure.

Wow.

Did this ever go wrong! And imho, it's not MCG's fault (you can't mislead me, I've witnessed his talent in CAII:FT). Nope, it's the producers. They are clearly issuing a directive to the director: "the kid's want serious" - - so MCG ditches the humor, just like the talented directors of the latest James Bond and the Batman series' entries were ordered to do. The result is a movie even stupider than the recent Star Trek remake, and far less entertaining. It's certainly not helped by the presence of Christian Bale who continues his downward spiral of acting talent - - he's more freakin' robotic than the relicensing of Arnie's T800 image data - - could he pleeeeeaaassseee try another voice next movie?!?

The other performances, ranging from "great" to "who was that?", were so ill-developed by the screenplay, that I couldn't care less by the end. In fact, this movie made me nostalgic for Judgement Day - - no, I don't mean the subtitle of T2 - - I was wishing it was actual Judgement Day, so I wouldn't have to be watching this dreadful movie anymore...

:zzz: out of :zzz: :mad: :) :thumbsup: :towel:

Fri May 22, 2009 12:56 am
On autopilot for the summer

Sam wrote:
gotcha. So really none of the events in the any of the movies so far have changed the history of the world as it will have happened through 2029. Everything we have seen must happen. Weird. I guess I should revisit the other movies now.

Well T2 was about changing their future, and there is an actual close on the series, There is an ending with old Sarah Conner sitting at the playground in 2029 and they changed everything. Special edition. T4 is about knowing everytihing, but making sure the pieces happen to make it work.

My review later on.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri May 22, 2009 1:35 am
Forum General

How's this compared to Transformers?

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Fri May 22, 2009 3:05 am
Profile WWW

BK wrote:
How's this compared to Transformers?

The first one? Considerably worse. TF got the mood, tone, and humor dead on. I still say that it was overly loved, the action sequences weren't as great as I had hoped they would be for that film, and it's character devolopment was weak, but it was a huge pile of fun. This is not.

Fri May 22, 2009 10:45 am
I'm Batman

It's a bit disappointing. Sam Worthington is the star of the film, in both giving a performance better than Bale's and having the most important part. Bale was almost a supporting character in the film rather than a lead. It's got great action scenes, especially the escape from 7-11, but that's the only time the film gets really tense. The great thing about the other Terminator films was a clear super-villian versus a clear hero which this film lacks. The villian is Skynet which the audience can't really connect with, and making it even harder is the fact that the film doesn't really advance the Resistance in the war against the machines. They blow up stuff but Connor says at the end the same "the war rages on" speech that's given at the end of all the Terminators. It's good if you're going to see a movie about Marcus Wright but disappointing if you were looking for a movie about the Resistance. And the Arnold face wasn't very good, looked like a wax figure.

- B

Fri May 22, 2009 12:11 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Worthington was awesome.
Effects were awesome.
Bale was bland.

***/****

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri May 22, 2009 3:26 pm
Team Kris

I was a little disappointed with T4. I don't think Bale did a very good of job of playing John Connor. He seemed emotionless and grunted every line with his "bat voice". And that fact that they basically made Sam Worthington the male lead in a Termintor movie is unbelieveable. This was supposed to be about John Connor, not Marcus Wright. It felt like Connor was only a supporting character to Marcus. Not that Worthington didn't give an amazing performance, b/c he nailed it.

But I did love the action scenes. The sequence in the middle of the film with the harvester is def the best. And it was nice to see Arnie back in true form. ;)

C+

Fri May 22, 2009 3:27 pm
Profile WWW

You mean in CGI form? ;)

Fri May 22, 2009 6:20 pm
On autopilot for the summer

It's about what I expected, and to his credit, probably the best Terminator film directed by McG. It's a very good tight action movie with awesome everything technical wise, but it's completely forgettable. Anyone who took over had obstacles to begin with, the fact that for the first time the terminator films had to change their complete format, and the lack of Arnold really does hurt the film. It stopped being intense until he showed up at the end. The biggest letdown is that the action scenes are a lot, but none of them resonate anything. There's simply too much going on except the one at the gas station. And to be honest there is less story then the third film. And while that film said more adventures to come, it ended on a complete note of hope vs. despair.

Overall Terminator like the consensus hear is entertaining, but certainly not up to the levels of the others which had much more going for them. T4 is a like a very nice ocean liner that's lost its anchor and radar. Though it doesn't kill the franchise. Unlike the Matrix films it lives up at least to the war against the machines.

Solid B/ B+

T1- A+
T2- A+
And both are in my top 50 films.

T3- A+
Great but certainly lacks the punch of the others.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri May 22, 2009 7:07 pm
Extraordinary

Very average action flick.

I liked the opening and some of the action sequences, but the movie just isn't very interesting. The defenses for cyberdyne's San Fran headquarters wasn't very good either. The arnold terminator prolly got some applause during a midnight show but I got silence at my showing. After it all ended, it felt like the audience was very subdued.

So it's not exactly a disappointment but it's not worth watching 2x. I may only watch this on tv If I happen to flip to it and nothing else is showing.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sat May 23, 2009 12:56 am
Romosexual!

A :shades:

I want more Terminator movies :D

Sat May 23, 2009 1:02 am
College Boy Z

It was...good.

Very entertaining, and about what I should have expected from McG. Sam Worthington is the only person who gives a good performance in this; Bale is bad, Common is useless, Bryce has nothing to work with, etc. The special effects are great, and the action scenes deliver, especially in Skynet.

It falters because the story is kinda whack and it doesn't feel nearly as epic as it looked or should have been. But it's still pretty entertaining and a solid flick.

Sat May 23, 2009 12:52 pm
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

I liked TS better than T3. Its nowhere near T2 or Terminator's level but it was a pretty solid flick considering it was through McG's standards. Still I think the whole film can be improved if they Marcus more screen time development because its hard to care for the character when he sacrificed his heart for John Connor. 3 out of 4 stars for me

Sat May 23, 2009 6:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next