Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 The Order of Myths 

What grade would you give this film?
A 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

The Order of Myths 

Post The Order of Myths
The Order of Myths

Quote:
The Order of Myths is a 2008 documentary film directed by Margaret Brown. It focuses on the Mardi Gras celebrations in Mobile, Alabama, the oldest in the United States. It reveals the separate mystic societies established and maintained by black and white groups, and acknowledges the complex racial history of a city with a slaveholding past. While showing the mystic societies' ties to economic, class and racial stratification, the film also showed the beginnings of interaction between the black and white courts. It also tells some of the history of Africatown, a community formed north of Mobile in 1860 by Africans from Ghana, transported illegally as slaves to Mobile decades after the end of the slave trade.

The film competed in the Documentary Competition at the 2008 Sundance Film Festival. It had a limited release in New York on July 25, 2008, and ran on Independent Lens, a PBS series featuring independent films, in 2009. It was distributed by The Cinema Guild.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:19 am
Profile WWW
"no rank"

Post Re: The Order of Myths
Margaret Brown's last film was Be Here To Love Me, a documentary about Townes Van Zandt. It made my top 10 of 2006 (number 7).

Segregation is alive and well in Mobile, AL. The Order of Myths does a mostly fantastic job of covering both sides of the debate. Some of the citizens, their actions and what they say, it's beyond belief. I spent time in Alabama last year and racism is certainly still alive and well there.

There's a twist in the final act of the film and Brown leaves the audience hanging out to dry. I've looked online and I still don't have answers.

For that, it gets an A-.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]