Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Frost/Nixon 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 13 ]
B 31%  31%  [ 8 ]
C 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 26

Frost/Nixon 

Post Frost/Nixon
Frost/Nixon

Quote:
Frost/Nixon is a 2008 historical drama film based on the play of the same name by Peter Morgan which dramatizes the Frost/Nixon interviews of 1977. The film version was directed by Ron Howard and produced by Brian Grazer of Imagine Entertainment and Tim Bevan and Eric Fellner of Working Title Films for Universal Pictures.

The film reunites its original two stars from the West End and Broadway productions of the play, Michael Sheen as British television broadcaster David Frost and Frank Langella as former United States President Richard Nixon.

Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:57 am
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

Post Re: Frost/Nixon
Sam Rockwell jumped the shark circa Matchstick Men. Discuss.

Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:28 pm
You must have big rats

yoshue wrote:
Sam Rockwell jumped the shark circa Matchstick Men. Discuss.

He's supposedly pretty good in Choke.

Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:30 pm
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Any other year I'd say this is getting a BP Nom, but after watching it I don't think its the type of film Oscar is going for this year. maybe in the GNGL year but not this one.

I don't have any real hate or love for Ron Howard, he can produce utter shite, or great entertainment its a hit and miss affair, thankfully this was great stuff in a whole Human drama sort of way.

Its baity fare but like a decent slab of steak it goes down easy

Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:24 am
Stanley Cup

just watched it, really really enjoyed it. Didn't have the knock out punch that I was hoping for but it was still a very good sometimes great film.

A-

Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:00 pm
Killing With Kindness

BJs Grade:

A

spectacular watch, the dude that played Nixon was literally amazing.

Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:43 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Interesting to see BJ also likes it. My interest in seeing this has gone up more, if not simply for "the dude that played Nixon," and I loved Sheen's portrayal of Blair in The Queen.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:53 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Very well told narrow slice of history - - very illuminating background to the already well known story. I like how Ron Howard made it into quite the little kick ass thriller simply through the construction of the screenplay.

But... and it's a big one - - I never for a second bought Frank Langella as Nixon. This pretty much ruined the whole effect for me, because Richard Nixon was already such a wild and unique character in real life. All's I kept seeing was Frank Langella saying lines, no matter how hard he was obviously acting.

I wish I'd spent the time watching the complete Frost | Nixon interview that's out now on DVD - - I'd like to see the real old master plying his craft once more...

3 out of 5.

Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:31 am
"no rank"

bit like being in a museum, isn't it.

Not a bad film or a good film. Just a techincal achievement in the very basic sense of the word. Neat, tidy, easy to digest, not at all offensive, and not in the slightest remarkable or memorable.

B-

Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:08 pm
He didn't look busy?!

Considering the entire film revolves around a series of debates, during only one of which does anything truly explosive occur, this was about as well-made as it could have possibly been. The writing, the acting (not just on Langella's part), the editing... it all made this otherwise boring event really quite interesting. In fact, I doubt what actually went down was really this fascinating. However, the difference between this and a film like Milk was that Milk works as a movie because of the emotion involved and the power of the story... Frost/Nixon works because of its historical significance, and not much more. And for that, it doesn't rank among the year's best.

B+

Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:07 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

It represents Howard's career overall. I've always felt that while his aesthetic is stiff and he usually goes the safe route, he's somewhat underrated as a storyteller and entertainer, building tension and dramatic momentum, etc. He also gets great performances as consistently as anyone. This is very true for Frost/Nixon. It's not breaking any ground artistically and it misses an oppurtunity to say something about media and television thematically, but as a film and entertainment it really excels at pumping out the tension and enthrallment in the interviews and set-up, it's actually pretty remarkable how entertaining he makes the subject.

I like how he lets it be a movie... This isn't The Queen or Good Night and Good Luck where the objective is to be create reality on screen... Howard willingly makes the events and characters feel cinematic for the sake of his film. Which fits Frost's character and the tv/media glamour bit around his character, along with the larger than life Nixon himself. Langella doesn't really nail him in terms of imitation, as bradley said (his voice and look is a bit off), but as a film over attempt at reality as mentioned, it didn't get in the way of the film for me.

The acting is really fantastic as mentioned. I feel Langella is actually better than Penn in his film. In particular the phone call scene will probably be best acted scene by anyone this year. Overall that scene will be one of the year's best... Morgan's script just goes to an incredible level there. As a whole IMO it's Morgan's best work so far, just a really intelligent, witty, fully realized script, with moments of brilliance. It'd be a worthy winner if they're going to award this movie anything.

Michael Sheen is also really great and it's unfortunate he's been passed over so much this season. Rockwell, Platt, etc. are also very good. I had a bit of a problem with Rebecca Hall's treatment, she's great to look at but literally does nothing. They don't even push the romantic subplot with her and Frost... it's sort of implied and Nixon jokes about it but eh. She just stands around and looks hot all movie.

It's a very good film. Not a spectacular one that will be remembered much in a few years, but a very good, well done take on the material all the same. I liked it more than Milk, along with GNAGL, The Queen, Ray, and Walk the Line of similar movies recently.

4/5

Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:06 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

You know Shack isn't it sorta amusing Milk will get in over this?

Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:18 pm
Devil's Advocate

At this point I'm guessing they both make it... but I do find it funny mr. art experiment Gus Van Sant actually made a more conventional and formulaic film, and added less in terms of directorial work or unique touch to his film, than Ron Howard of all people. It's like the twilight zone.

Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:28 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

The fact Milk will get in at all is a joke to me, it was bland and completely by the book to a nutty degree!

Yes I do agree Van Sant was very conventional with Milk and Howard pulled out the good stops with this effort. Yup its a bizarro Universe we live in.

Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:35 pm
Devil's Advocate

Yeah... I like Milk the less I think of it... It's a pretty one-sided film overall... the conservative/religious opposition might as well have yelled out heil Hitler after all their lines

Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:10 pm
Leader of the Pack

This is the kind of film i fall head over heals for almost every year it seems. I love character battles and watching them grow over the course of the movie. Definitely not the best movie of the year, but probably my favorite Ron Howard film. Solid A

Right now i have this at #4 on the year and Milk at #2. Milk just left such a huge impact on me and i felt it was one of the best "bio-pics" (so to speak) ever made. While it might not have added nothing new to the genre, Van Sant made a seemingly flawless movie to me.

Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:21 am
College Boy T

I actually think this is my favorite of the year. I've missed many movies, but...

Something should be said for understated direction. Ron Howard's work here is fitting for his script, his message, and - most importantly - his actors. The second-half, in particular, fuses both The Godfather and the best episodes of 24, with an intriguing commentary on solitude, isolation, and guilt. Frank Langella's eyes say more in one scene than Keanu Reeve's entire repertoire.

***1/2

Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:12 am
invading your spaces

A/A+ from me.

Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:36 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I'm surprised how much I like it. In fact, I love the film. It's definitely one of Howard's best directing efforts, and while Langella no doubt shined as Nixon, I will again bemoan the fate of Sheen, who delivers another excellent performance but is not getting recognized from critics groups anywhere. The only negative things I may say are that the girl character felt unnecessary, and the reference to boxing match is made a little too obvious, but they're nitpickings. I'm simply enthralled throughout the film.

A

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:01 am
Profile WWW
Sbil

Very solid overall, even if it can be uneven at times (some events are more interesting than others, in which the film can drag a bit). Ron Howard's direction is confident and assured. Michael Sheen is effective as David Frost but the film belongs to the tremendous Frank Langella, who absolutely embodies Richard Nixon. Frost/Nixon also contains one of the best individual scenes from any film this year (namely, the final interview). B+

Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:06 am
Forum General

xiayun wrote:
I'm surprised how much I like it. In fact, I love the film. It's definitely one of Howard's best directing efforts, and while Langella no doubt shined as Nixon, I will again bemoan the fate of Sheen, who delivers another excellent performance but is not getting recognized from critics groups anywhere. The only negative things I may say are that the girl character felt unnecessary, and the reference to boxing match is made a little too obvious, but they're nitpickings. I'm simply enthralled throughout the film.

A

Think the girl was around to have on his arm as he was doing the partying. Remember he was always a playboy so it made sense that he had a girl around when he wasn't doing the interviewing.

Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:44 am
Forum General

Libs wrote:
Very solid overall, even if it can be uneven at times (some events are more interesting than others, in which the film can drag a bit). Ron Howard's direction is confident and assured. Michael Sheen is effective as David Frost but the film belongs to the tremendous Frank Langella, who absolutely embodies Richard Nixon. Frost/Nixon also contains one of the best individual scenes from any film this year (namely, the final interview). B+

and the phone call, for me.

Only thing that bothered me was, did he really need that push from the phone call. Like O my god, he is going to come after me, I better get prepared.

Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:46 am
invading your spaces

Grill wrote:
xiayun wrote:

A

Think the girl was around to have on his arm as he was doing the partying. Remember he was always a playboy so it made sense that he had a girl around when he wasn't doing the interviewing.

My experience was that the girl is a bit of a red herring. My friend turned to me early in the movie and (annoyingly) said "she's a spy", so I watched the movie with that in mind, especially when Nixon gave her the eye during the second interview. There are hints here and there, and it being Nixon you know it was possible.

Since I didn't know about the history of the event particularly I was more concious of that aspect and was actually amused when it didn't happen that she was a spy.

Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:04 pm
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

This is fantastic. Could be my favourite of the year so far. Both lead performances are stunning. Both should be nominated. Any justice and Langella will win.

A/A+

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:26 am
Forum General

as most said this would be a best picture miss before seeing it...did the fact that most liked it, change your mind that it can get a best picture nom.

Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next