Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 25, 2020 7:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 1179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 48  Next
 The DVD/Blu-Ray Rental and Sales Thread 
Extraordinary

Post Re: The DVD/VHS Rental Sales Thread
MR. GREEN wrote:
neo_wolf wrote:
Good but not really impressive.

Really?? You don't think that's too good?? Just curious cause I'm no Pro when it comes to what's considered good sales to bad or mediocre in DVD sales.. I was at Blockbuster yesterday and there were alot of copies of TDK both in rentals and sales.. I figured the shelves would be bare for awhile anyway but they weren't..

If those numbers reported are true then i find them good, biggest of the year and all, but since this is the second highest grossing film of alltime(in the u.s) i was expecting it to smash or come close to some records, thats why i do not find it impressive.If it ends up with 7mill sold(combined on both formats) like the article estimated then it wouldnt even be a top 10 opening.

Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:18 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

BTW, the week ending dec 7 numbers are up.

http://the-numbers.com/dvd/charts/weekly/thisweek.php

Not bad for Narnia considering how the film disspointed at the B.O.

Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:20 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

That's a pretty great # for Wanted, isn't it?

Still baffled at how worse Indy and Get Smart are doing.

Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:49 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

That's a really great number for The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian! Considering it disappointed a lot in theatres, it sure as hell making up for it on DVD. Obviously it won't reach the 12 million copies that The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe sold, but with Christmas ahead and this likely being a good present, I definitely see it selling about 9-10 million DVDs. Hlel, its first week is bigger than Hancock's, National Treasure 2's, Indy's and Alvin and the Chipmunks' which all outperformed it by a lot in theatres. Really one of the most surprising first-week performers on DVD this year. It'll end up outselling Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of Crystall Skull, I Am Legend and Chipmunks.

Also a very good start for Wanted, though I expect it to drop off pretty quickly. I think it can sell around 5-6 million copies which is pretty solid for it.

Step Brothers had a better first week on DVD than Get Smart, Tropic Thunder and Zohan. Not bad, not bad. I see it selling over 3 million units.

With Christmas business likely giving it a bump, WALL-E wil cross 10 million units within the next two weeks and with the Oscars and the buzz ahead, we'll see over 14 million sold DVDs before the end of the next year, I bet.

Iron Man will also soon pass 10 million in sales.

Hellboy II: The Golden Army is doing well in sales itself. For a sub $100-million grosser to pass 3 million units in sales (which it will) is a pretty big deal and bodes well for another sequel.

The Polar Express will never die, seriously. I would really love to know how many DVDs it has sold so far, but I bet the number is above 15 million by now. Maybe even around 18 million...

Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:14 pm
Profile WWW
Orphan

If Narnia outsells Chipmunks that would be especially good considering A&C was for a while, the best-selling DVD of the year.

Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:27 pm
You must have big rats

Mahone wrote:
If Narnia outsells Chipmunks that would be especially good considering A&C was for a while, the best-selling DVD of the year.

Hmm, as far as I know it never was...was it? I think I Am Legend and NT2 were always ahead, no?

Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:31 pm
Profile WWW
Orphan

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Mahone wrote:

Hmm, as far as I know it never was...was it? I think I Am Legend and NT2 were always ahead, no?

Video Business magazine had an article with the headline, "Alvin still the best-selling DVD of 2008" a while back.

Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:32 pm
Orphan

Here it is:

Video Business article

Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:36 pm
You must have big rats

Eh, so many articles and sources. I think I'll just trust the one with actual numbers each week, though there's simply no way of determining who is actually right. I don't understand why rental and sales numbers aren't just as easily accessible as the box-office grosses.

Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:50 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Well, the number is out:

http://the-numbers.com/dvd/charts/weekly/thisweek.php

The Dark Knight sold 7.5 million DVDs in its first week of release (not sure whether that includes BluRay or not, I suppose no). It's a good number, but frankly not as overwhelming as I expected. Sure, it is the biggest first week of the year, BUT the last two Pirates films, for instance, had bigger first-week sales:

http://the-numbers.com/movies/2007/PIRT3-DVD.php

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/2006/PIRT2-DVD.php

Frankly, Dead Man's Chest sold about TWO million more units in its first week. I expected something around the same or maybe even 10 million in TDK's first week. That said, I expect it to be a long-burner, just like The Dark Knight and definitely pass 15 million in the process. Hell, if Transformers could approach that, then sure as hell can The Dark Knight.

Good, but not great start for Horton Hears a Who! Kinda pales compared to Prince Caspian and Kung-Fu Panda.

Meanwhile, The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian is doing simply terrific numbers considering its disappointing box-office performance. I think it's well on its way to a total of 7-8 million sold units.

WALL-E is already the biggest seller of the year and that after just four weeks in release. With one more week of Christmas shopping ahead, it could rise again. In any case, I see no less than 15 million sold units overall. Hell, this could challenge The Dark Knight for the total of sold DVDs.

Lost: Season 4 isn't off to a great start, considering it's about 22% less copies sold than the start of Season 3. Still decent for a TV series and will definitely sell over 1 million copies in total.

Still amazing for Iron Man. It will have to settle for #3 of 2008-DVD releases overall (behind WALL-E and The Dark Knight), but since it is heading towards 11-12 million sold units, that's not shabby either.

Good to see that The Polar Express is still going strong. I would really love to know how many copies it has sold so far. I bet it's more than 15 million.

Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:48 pm
Profile WWW
Team Kris

TDK sold over 1 million Blu-ray units in its first week. DVD sales will continue to decline as Blu-ray become more popular.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=2184

Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:02 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

Quote:
'Mamma' dethrones 'Knight' on sales chart
'Mummy' sequel wraps up No. 1 on rental chart
By Thomas K. Arnold
Dec 24, 2008, 05:37 PM ET

"Mamma Mia!"
Universal Studios Home Entertainment scored big on the national home video charts the week ending Dec. 21, with a pair of releases topping both the sales and the rental charts their first week in stores.

"Mamma Mia!" bowed at No. 1 on the Nielsen VideoScan First Alert sales chart and earns the distinction of displacing Warner's "The Dark Knight" as the top-selling DVD in the country. "Dark Knight" remains the top-selling video release of the year, with an estimated worldwide total of 13.5 million units sold its first week out, 1.7 million of them on the nascent Blu-ray Disc format.

For the week, however, "Mamma Mia!" outsold the Batman sequel, which did about 85% as much business its sophomore week as the musical comedy built around ABBA's hits, which earned $143.7 million in theaters.

Meanwhile, Home Media Magazine's rental chart for the week was topped by another new Universal Studios release, the actioner "The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor," which also bumped "The Dark Knight" to the second-place spot. "Dark Knight" still managed to generate 93% as much rental action as "The Mummy," while "Mamma Mia!" debuted at No. 3 with 80% as much rental activity.

On the Nielsen VideoScan Blu-ray Disc chart, "Dark Knight" remained the No. 1 seller for the second week. "The Mummy" debuted at No. 2, but generated only 30% as much sales activity on the high-definition format as "Dark Knight." Running a close third was "Mamma Mia!" with 28% of "Dark Knight" sales.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/con ... 76831b84e1

What does that mean for Mamma Mia?

Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:27 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Probably something around 3-3.5 million sold copies for Mamma Mia!

Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:22 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Probably more, it sold 2.25 its first day out. So maybe closer to 4.25m?

If Dark Knight sold 85%, it probably means it was around 3.5m or so

Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:44 pm
Veteran

May be out of place but should the title of this thread be changed to DVD/Blu Ray sales as VHS are obsolete at this point and time?

Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:53 am
Veteran

Post Re: The DVD/Blu-Ray Rental and Sales Thread
http://www.the-numbers.com/dvd/charts/w ... isweek.php

WOW!!!! EXCELLENT START FOR MAMMA MIA!

Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:07 am
Profile WWW
Orphan

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/con ... be4e52f128

Quote:
The Christmas week lull found Warner Home Video regaining the top of the national home video sales charts with "The Dark Knight," in its third week of release.

But Universal Studios Home Video's strategy of releasing two midlevel theatricals just before Christmas paid off. Both "Burn After Reading" ($60.3 million) and "Death Race" ($36.1 million) were in high demand in rental stores, debuting at No. 1 and No. 2, respectively, on Home Media Magazine's video rental chart for the week ending Dec. 28.

Both films also proved to be respectable sellers, with "Burn After Reading" debuting at No. 2 on the Nielsen VideoScan First Alert sales chart and "Death Race" finishing not far behind at No. 3.

On Nielsen VideoScan's Blu-ray Disc chart, "Death Race" debuted at No. 2, with "Burn" bowing at No. 7.

"Burn After Reading," the latest from the Coen Brothers, came to video with two Golden Globe nominations and a star-studded cast that includes Brad Pitt and George Clooney. "Death Race" is a fast-paced remake of the 1975 cult classic, about a futuristic world in which cars are used as weapons.

It was clearly a good week for Universal, with continued strong sales and rentals of recent releases "Mamma Mia!," "Wanted" and "The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor" giving the studio four of the week's six top sellers and renters and five of the top seven Blu-ray Disc sellers.

Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:27 am
You must have big rats

Well, I was close on Mamma Mia!'s sales.

Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:21 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Mamma Mia!'s start is very very solid. It almost doubled Hairspray's first week sales. Hairspray went on to sell about 5.3 million copies until now, so I think we're looking at a very healthy sales number of 8-9 million (!) sold copies for Mamma Mia! as it should showcase longevity on DVD as well.

Obviously HUMONGOUS for The Dark Knight. It's still trailing the both Pirates sequel, but is ahead of pretty much anything else, it looks right now. If Oscar buzz really kicks in and it can score a Best Picture nom, then I xpect the sales to rise once more and for it to finish with 17-18 million sold units eventually.

A decent start for The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor. Obviously it is not in line with the predecessors, but for a movie that barely passed $100 million at the box-office, it is pretty good. It should sell 3-3.5 million DVDs in total.

Great upticks for WALL-E and Kung-Fu Panda. It looks like the latter will soon pass 10 million in sales and finish with 11-12 million, whereas WALL-E is looking at over 14 million sold units eventually as WoM seems to be really strong for it.

Prince Caspian is actually doing surprisingly superb numbers and at this point it looks to pass Alvin and the Chipmunks, National Treasure 2, Wild Hogs and many other films that did better than it at the box-office. I think we're looking here at around 7 million sales in total. Would be stupid of Walden not to procude the thirdfilm, IMO.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull finally passed 6 million in sales, but all things considered, its DVD run has been really really disappointing. It will struggle to approach 8 million in sales.

Iron Man on the other hand, is doing superbly and will soon pass 10 milion on its way to 12-13 million before the sequel is released.

Get Smart continues to disappoint, having barely passed 2 million in sales, wheras Tropic Thunder (which did less at the box-office) is a full-blown DVD hit on its way to around 4 million sold DVDs.

At last, I think it's pretty interesting that right now, Hancock looks to end up with even ebtter DVD sales than I Am Legend...

Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:39 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

This week's sales:

TDK is back at #1! Tracking well ahead of all recent films, except for Pirates 2 and Pirates 3.

Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:40 pm
Profile WWW
Team Kris

Eagle Eye came out on Sunday so those numbers reflect the two days only right? Otherwise that would be a horrible first week sales.

Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:36 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

This weeks sales

http://www.the-numbers.com/dvd/charts/weekly/thisweek.php

Indy is out and I'm still baffled at Get Smarts low sales.

Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:10 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

The House Bunny bombed on DVD. I'm kind of surprised after the good legs in theatres.

The Dark Knight is looking good for 16-17 million with the Oscar bump to come soon.

Mamma Mia! will end up outselling Indy, National treasure 2 and Sex ad the City with probably around 7 million units. Wow.

Kind of disappointing numbers for Burn After Reading too. Looks like it'll struggle to sell 2 million DVDs. Death Race is actually very close.

Eagle Eye started off well, though.

Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:37 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Yeah, HOUSE BUNNY did do kind of disappointing.

Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:14 am
You must have big rats

Very strong for Pineapple Express! It's a stronger first week thanfor Get Smart, Zohan or Tropic Thunder, only Step Brothers was higher. Considering how well pothead comedies do in the long run (Grandma's Boy has almost 2.5 million sales), this bodes very very well for it. I could see it selling more than 4 million units overall.

Considering what a dud Bangkok Dangerous was at the box-office, its first-week sales are very good. Should pass 1 million in sales and probably make more in sales than in theatres.

Okay numbers for Eagle Eye, but considering the good legs in theatres, I expected more.

Prince Caspian is really strong on DVD. It'd be foolish not to make another sequel, as it is heading towards 6.5-7 million sales in total, ahead of Hancock, Sex and the City and maybe even Indy!

Death Race performing better in DVD sales than Burn After Reading in sales is quite a surprise to me.

The House Bunny
really flopped on DVD. Out of the Top 30 after three weeks and it didn't even manage 1 million in sales by now.

Mamma Mia! is definitely heading towards 7+ million in sales.

Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:39 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 1179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 48  Next