Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 447 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next
 The Curious Case of Benjamin Button 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 24 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 12 ]
C 23%  23%  [ 11 ]
D 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 48

Post The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Quote:
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is a 2008 American fantasy-drama film directed by David Fincher. The screenplay by Eric Roth and Robin Swicord is loosely based on the 1922 short story of the same name by F. Scott Fitzgerald. The film stars Brad Pitt as a man who ages in reverse and Cate Blanchett as the love interest throughout his life. The film was released in the United States on December 25, 2008.

The film received thirteen Academy Award nominations, including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor for Pitt, and Best Supporting Actress for Taraji P. Henson. It won Oscars for Art Direction, Makeup, and Visual Effects.

Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:01 am
Profile WWW
Grill

Post Re: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
When I first heard about The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and read that Fincher, Pitt and Blanchett were all atached to it I immediatley was excited. I love Fincher and Pitt movies (Fight Club & Se7en) and obviously Cate Blanchett is one of the greatest actresses of all time. When the trailer came out I fell in love with it and wanted to see it right then and there.

Early buzz on it was not what I was expecting. It was said to be an average film. I was worried. So my expectations were lowered but I still wanted to see it more than any film the remainder of the year. I was happy that I had the chance to see the pre screening of this last night almost a month before release. I am very lucky.

It is a wonderful film. Almost everything about it was great. The direction was very well done and diferent than any film Fincher has ever done. A few scenes in particular I was just amazed at the direction. The make-up was the best make-up in any movie I have ever seen. They did a wonderful job making you believe that these people were young or very old.

The acting by both Pitt and Blanchett were near perfect. They both showed great emotion in these roles and made you believe that they existed. They made you feel happy inside when something good happens or sad when they hit a roadblock. Easily locks for nominations for both of them.

There were moments where I could not stop laughing and moments where I got teary eyed. That is what makes a great movie. There were parts that I found unnecessary or kind of dull, but I had to look at this film on a whole and realize that I have never seen a film like this before. It was a beautiful stunning film. Not quite perfect but good enough. I see Oscar gold for many catagories from this film.

9/10

See this as soon as possible.

Oh and before I went into this, it was going to be a deciding factor for both Pitt and Blanchett to be my favorite Actor and Actress. They both suceeded my expectations and now are both my favorites.

Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:02 pm
Artie the One-Man Party

Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:27 pm
Kypade

MovieGeek wrote:
Oh and before I went into this, it was going to be a deciding factor for both Pitt and Blanchett to be my favorite Actor and Actress. They both suceeded my expectations and now are both my favorites.

What if they had failed? Who's the disappointed couple that was pushed back to #2?

Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:31 pm
"no rank"

kypade wrote:
MovieGeek wrote:

What if they had failed? Who's the disappointed couple that was pushed back to #2?

Al Pacino and Jessica Lange. I know, random right?

Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:33 pm
Grill

kypade wrote:
MovieGeek wrote:

Haha. It was RDJ and Jodie Foster.

Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:28 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Well...

I'm upset. Brad Pitt was so great... yet the movie just couldn't become interesting. It was EXTREMELY entertaining, but it wanted to be something great. It failed at that. It had one emotional scene at the very end, yet tried to have many throughout... it just couldn't.

Can't settle on a grade. It could be an A... or a C.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:18 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Blanchett was very blah for me. And honestly, this was the most I've been disappointed by a movie this year.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:37 am
Stanley Cup

no matter how hard i try, i just cant get excited about this film

Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:30 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

A-.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:25 pm
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
munkyfromlondon wrote:
A-.

munkyfromlondon wrote:
4. Iron Man 9.6/10 A

Hihi.

Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:31 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Iron Man accomplished what it set out to do.

Sorry.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:35 pm
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
Being mediocre.

Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:40 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Argos wrote:
Being mediocre.

Be an entertaining comic book movie.

Button tried too much to be too many things. It was never really a love story. And it never fully focused on his adventures.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:23 pm
Extraordinary

munkyfromlondon wrote:
Argos wrote:
Being mediocre.

Be an entertaining comic book movie.

Button tried too much to be too many things. It was never really a love story. And it never fully focused on his adventures.

btw, how would you rate yourself?

Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:52 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Probably a C.

I try to be many things, but I don't fail at everything, so that is my saving grace.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:41 pm
Kypade

I don't get it was this a joke?

Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Extraordinary

I very much enjoyed TCCOBB, but I guess I just wasn't expecting a sequel to Synecdoche, New York quite so soon...

Benjamin Button and Caden Cotard share much in common beyond their twin initials and alienation from the time flow. (I was dreaming of an alternate universe in which David Fincher directed S,NY and Charlie Kaufman tightened up the screenplay of TCCOBB...)

I absolutely loved the first hour of this movie! It was a great Twilight Zone-esque concept fashioned into a very emotional perspective on life. Superb.

However, the second hour stalled out like a plane gliding on fumes. The film sadly lost it's way - - and part of that I attribute to the casting of Tilda Swinton. Her similar look to Cate Blanchett (which I'm certain Fincher did intentionally), made the story difficult to follow, despite it's perfect symmetry. This combined with the rather arch device of the old Cate Blanchett having her daughter read her journals/postcards almost completely crashed the craft...

Fortunately, the final forty-five minutes mostly redeemed the overall film, returning to the emotional truth and a natural denouement to the storyline.

Once again, I'm happy to see any film these days attempting to be too darn ambitious and intelligent - - it's quite rare in these days of idiocracy and hype - - but, oh... what a magnificent film this might have been...

18 out of 5.

(...could've been infinitely higher...)

Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:46 pm