Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Milk 

What grade would you give this film?
A 64%  64%  [ 18 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 7 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 11%  11%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 28

Milk 
Extraordinary

Post Milk
Milk

Quote:
Milk is a 2008 American biographical film on the life of gay rights activist and politician Harvey Milk, who was the first openly gay man to be elected to public office in California, and one of the first three in the United States as a whole, as a member of the San Francisco Board of Supervisors. Directed by Gus Van Sant and written by Dustin Lance Black, the film stars Sean Penn as Milk and Josh Brolin as Dan White. The film was released to much acclaim and earned numerous accolades from film critics and guilds. Ultimately, it received eight Academy Award nominations, including Best Picture, winning two for Best Actor in a Leading Role for Penn and Best Original Screenplay for Black.

Attempts to put Milk's life to film followed a 1984 Oscar-winning documentary of his life and the aftermath of his assassination, titled The Times of Harvey Milk, which was loosely based upon Randy Shilts's biography, The Mayor of Castro Street. Various scripts were considered in the early 1990s, but projects fell through for different reasons, until 2007. Much of Milk was filmed on Castro Street and other locations in San Francisco, including Milk's former storefront, Castro Camera.

Milk begins on Harvey Milk's 40th birthday (in 1970), when he was living in New York City and had not yet settled in San Francisco. It chronicles his foray into city politics, and the various battles he waged in the Castro neighborhood as well as throughout the city, and political campaigns to limit the rights of gay people in 1977 and 1978 run by Anita Bryant and John Briggs. His romantic and political relationships are also addressed, as is his tenuous affiliation with troubled Supervisor Dan White; the film ends with White's double murder of Milk and Mayor George Moscone. The film's release was tied to the 2008 California voter referendum on gay marriage, Proposition 8, when it made its premiere at the Castro Theatre two weeks before election day.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:35 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Milk
Moving, inspiring and incredibly relevant, Milk is an excellent film that really excels thanks to an absolutely astounding performance from Sean Penn. He's the one to beat for the Best Actor trophy this year, and infuses the role with so much life, heart and soul that it's hard not to be captivated. He undergoes a complete transfomation here - he doesn't make the character one-dimensional and instead presents him as hopeful, flawed and most importantly, human. It's probably his best performance to date, which is saying a lot given the actor's fantastic pedigree. Also great in supporting roles are Emile Hirsch (who successfully captures the hope and fear of a generation as one of Milk's biggest supporters), Josh Brolin (quietly terrifying and incredibly effective as Milk's eventual assassin Dan White), Alison Pill (who is virtually unrecognizable here) and James Franco (who has fantastic, believable chemistry with Penn). The lone weak link in the cast in my opinion was Diego Luna, who was over-the-top and somewhat grating as one of Milk's crazed lovers. The direction from Gus Van Sant perfectly captures the vibrancy of the '70s culture in San Francisco, as he successfully blends archival footage with his own narrative. The screenplay by Dustin Lance Black is undeniably strong, and the musical score from Danny Elfman only adds to the proceedings. This is worth seeing for Penn's virtuoso performance alone, but it definitely stands among the year's best. A

Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:46 pm
Profile YIM
"no rank"

Stuck on the iPhone so I can't type too much.

Here's a grade

A+

Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:21 pm
Confessing on a Dance Floor

This was a very emotional movie for me to watch. In my early 20's, I was a bit of a gay activist. The passion I had for the advancement of gay rights died over the years. Watching Harvey Milk fight reminded me of how much we've accomplished and yet how much is still left to fight for.
The first 1/3 of the movie was almost too overwhelming because Gus Van Sant wastes no time introducing his audience to the injustices of the time and the uprisings that started sprouting across the country in the early 70's.

Uncannily, Harvey Milk recorded a tape that he requested be played in the event of his assasination. Structuring the movie around that recording and actual footage elevates the movie to more than a dramatization - Gus Van Sant brings us into the life and world of Harvey Milk.

Sean Penn has always been an admired actor. I've never really understood the praises though. However, he more than shines as Harvey. But surprisingly, this is an emsemble piece as well. Josh Brolin gives a performance that lets us peek into the mind of would-be killer Dan White. James Franco is charming and sweet. Emile Hirsch surprises with a flamboyant, spot-on impersonation of Cliff Jones. Even Diego Luna is great as Jack, Harvey's troubled lover.

It's powerful; it's relevant. I don't know how accessible this will be to mainstream America, but it doesn't matter. I really think this movie is for the gay community and its allies. It urges us to revive Milk's hope for a "gay revolution." Harvey Milk brought San Franciscans and Californians together to fight for gay rights. Gus Van Sant and everyone else in this movie now ask us to remember and continue Harvey Milk's fight. A

Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:32 am
"no rank"

I can finally expand on my grade.

First off, Gus Van Sant did an incredible job recreating the Castro district of San Francisco and the 1970's across the United States. Whether through set design, costume, or juxtaposing archival footage (as was the case of Anita Bryant). He assembled a top notch production team and I suspect technical Oscar nominations across the board.

It's hard to even begin singing the praises the film without mentioning Sean Penn. He's an actor I've never really liked (shouldn't have won for Mystic River) but I'll be damned, he reaches into depths I never knew he had to recreate Harvey Milk. It's impossible to not root for and follow the journey of Harvey Milk thanks to Penn. That said, the entire film is littered with amazing supporting roles. From Emile Hirsch as Cleve Jones to Diego Luna as Jack Lira, everyone brings their A-game (a strong strong contender for SAG's Best Ensemble award).

Of course, Dan White is an essential part of the Harvey Milk story and Josh Brolin continues his incredible streak of 2008. Matt Damon was supposed to play Dan White and though I'm a fan, I'm happy he dropped out. There's a weariness to Brolin outside of his good looks and you the viewer come away with the idea that White could be in fact hiding some very personal demons that led to the final confrontation between he and Harvey.

Last but not least on the acting front, you have James Franco who played Scott. It's unbelievable that he's the same actor that delivered Sal in Pineapple Express. By virtue of bookends, Milk is very much the story of Harvey and Scott. I'd go as far as to say its the most believable cinematic depiction of a gay relationship yet. Their arc runs the gambit of sad, funny, heartwarming, and gut-wrenching.

Many people will want to compare Milk to Brokeback Mountain. Outside of having two male actors kissing, there isn't much else to compare. Whereas Brokeback was lyrical and distant and in many ways incorporeal, Milk is very much real and immediate and intimate. If my theatre was any indication (a wide variety of people across all spectrums), Milk will play far broader than Brokeback Mountain could have ever played.

Milk is isn't a gay movie. It's a movie about human rights and one man's journey to make the world a better place.

The best non-comic book/documentary/animated film of 2008 :)

Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:43 am
invading your spaces

Is it actually a Gus Van Sant film or a Gus Van Sant art project like his recent filmography?

Also, I loathe Sean Penn, will this make me hate him more?

Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:24 am
Profile WWW
"no rank"

roo wrote:
Is it actually a Gus Van Sant film or a Gus Van Sant art project like his recent filmography?

It's about as far removed from Elephant as possible (I haven't seen Paranoid Park or Gerry). It's probably his most mainstream film ever, moreso than Good Will Hunting.

My hatred of Sean Penn knows no bounds, but damnit, he's great in Milk.

Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:28 am
invading your spaces

loyalfromlondon wrote:
roo wrote:

It's about as far removed from Elephant as possible (I haven't seen Paranoid Park or Gerry). It's probably his most mainstream film ever, moreso than Good Will Hunting.

My hatred of Sean Penn knows no bounds, but damnit, he's great in Milk.

Well that's comforting.

Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:29 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Excellent movie. Sean Penn is TERRIFIC here, one of his best performances ever. The rest of the ensemble cast is strong as well. I was especially fond of James Franco's performance. Gus Van Sant's direction is clear-eyed and stylish (without overshadowing the content). The '70s setting feels very authentic.

I wish a few elements (such as Diego Luna's character) had been explored in more depth, but still... wow, loved it. Definitely going to be a major award contender.

A

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:07 pm
Veteran

I got to see Milk today, I was impressed and disappointed. Milk is very important movie, especially during the recent passing of Prop 8. I think it's an important film, and very moving film. The film starts off very good, around B+. The middle, for me, around the second riot, is about a C, it lagged and it didn't feel well put together. The last, 45 minutes or so though are incredible, and in the A- range. The film delivers mainly with it's acting and its story telling. Penn is incredible, giving an Oscar worthy performance. He is raw, honest and truthful to Harvey Milk, not to mention identical. James Franco gives a ridiculously moving yet subdued performance. For me though, Emile Hirsch stole every scene he was in. He was so, so good. The film's ending is incredibly moving and gave me chills, but while I left the theatre moved, significantly I couldn't help but feel, during the whole running time, that something from this was missing. Maybe it was too honest, maybe it still needs time to digest but I felt something else really, could have elevated this. It's a good, even great film but it's missing a piece. B+/A-

Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:08 pm
Extraordinary

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear...

After just this summer being publicly chastised in the film Tropic Thunder for going "full retard" in I Am Sam, actor Sean Penn opts to go "full gay" for his performance as Harvey Milk.

...and how splendidly gay it is!!!

A well-told tale, with the perfect historic set and costume design, the cool actors in full 70's drag, and the hand of a confident director (no matter how uncertain he might seem in interviews). This is one life told in one decade in one crucial time and place. It is full of drama and comedy and hope. It's nice to see at least one great biopic every year around now, and while not as elucidating as last Xmas's Walk Hard, it arguably contains at least as many Dewey Cox...

This is surely the winner for 2008 Best Picture Oscar out of all the candidates I've seen thus far. It's a great movie of the Academy Award variety - - and with the political climate right now - - between Prop 8, Obamamania, and of course, the 1,473 days left till our impending doom on December 21, 2012 as inscribed in the Aztec calendar - - Milk has (once again) appeared in just the right time and place...

Welcome home, Harvey.

32 out of 5.

Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:14 am
A very honest-hearted fellow

Not as good as I had hoped. My chief problem was Dan White's character. Brolin was good in the role, but the character was underdeveloped. Maybe he simply snapped in real life and gunned down Moscone/Milk, I don't know, but the movie sheds no light no light on the subject. I realize that he was denied his supervisor position, but nothing in his portrayal led us to conclude that he might snap. My other problem was with the Prop-6 Election night scene. The bill ends up going down pretty easily, but the film, to build tension, keeps the characters in the dark rather cheaply.

As for for the Milk character, Penn and the script did an excellent job. This is not a hagiography. We see Milk as a real character. Sure he always has his eye on the gay rights cause, but we also see his flawed personal life and the beginnings of a cutthroat political streak.

One of the great things was that the film did not exploit clinched period music but-for one or two songs that fit nicely.

B-

Last edited by Caius on Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:34 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Very well made film, good acting, and covering a very good real life story. Pretty much everything about it is really good, but I never got that awe feeling of amazement. Just simply one of the best films of 2008, an overall lackluster year of great films.

Solid A though and perhaps it will grow more over time.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:05 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Very solid movie overall, but Penn elevates the film. And James Franco is, in my opinion, stronger than Josh Brolin.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:40 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

As a film, pretty good if standard famousperson/event-pic, elevated by amazing acting. Penn's career best from what I've seen, Brolin, Franco, both brilliant, and Hirsch deserves every bit of credit they're getting.

3.5/5

But more importantly as a socially relevant message piece in the wake of Prop 8, it couldn't be timlier. As loyal alluded to it's probably better that GVS uses a conventional format, as it'll reach the most audience and have the most impact that way. The marching and megaphone scenes are just... inspiring.

Brokeback is an important landmark film, but at the end of the day still leaves you depressed and cold. Milk on the other hand is a joyous, uplifting call to arms in the wake of Prop 8, with a character so impossible not to like that leaving the theatre with a stance against this guy will be impossible.

So yea, I think it's more important than a great film on its own. But there's nothing wrong with that.

Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:40 am
Extraordinary

Shack wrote:
So yea, I think it's more important than a great film on its own. But there's nothing wrong with that. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Fixed that for you...

Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:50 am
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Outside of the excellent set and costume design its rather lifeless and static. Penn is adequate in the main role but he doesn't scream give that man an award, Franco or Hirsch are probably better on balance.

Also the time line is oddly structured, its races through 1970 to 77 and doesn't really bother to build up the characters to any real degree, but it does handle the last year rather well and the villains of the piece have the needed skin crawling affect with the archive footage.

Solid but nothing special.

Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:57 pm
Stanley Cup

basically agree with everything Gulli said only I thought franco was rather bland and penn did better than I thought he was going to do.

C+

Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:15 am
ef star star kay

For most parts, it was no different than any other biopic I've seen in past decade. There's nothing in this film that I hated nor anything that could be said with 'loved it!'. Well, except Emile Hirsch. He's good, as always was.
Ok, it still has great art-production and few amazing shots, but that was it. It's kinda bland, actually. B+

Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:41 am
Extraordinary

A pretty straight-forward biopic carried by Penn's best performance to date. In a lot of his previous works, whether it's Mystic River, I Am Sam, or some other film, I saw Penn the actor instead of the character himself, but here he morphed into Milk the person. I never felt I was watching Penn the whole time. The supporting cast is more than adequate, but they are all out-shined by Penn, and by the end, none of them left a last impression.

As for the movie itself, the first 30-50 minutes went through the calendar too fast IMO. I hadn't gotten to know all the characters well yet, and it's suddenly Milk was already running for office for the third time. However, once 1978 came around, the film became much more engaging with the debates, tensions, and personal conflict and drama.

A-/B+

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:33 pm
Profile WWW
Well I'm not stoned, I'm just fucked up - I got so high I can't stand up

I was a little let down. The acting was solid, not Oscar worthy though. Is it overrated? Sure. It was just good and never became anything more.

B

Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:23 am

Milk: 9.5- This movie hits particularly close to home for me due to my own sexuality, and I have some relation and unending appreciation to the people described in this film. However even if I didn't have this connection I still feel I could relate to this film as a truly inspiring yet original way to describe the injustices suffered from unacceptable people. In that form this may be a familiar message, but it is truly told in an original and incredibly heartfelt way. Van Sant wastes no time displaying the society of the time, and holds nothing back in forcing his characters to deal with these situations. This effort from the director could become a flaw with a cast that can't handle it, however this film boasts some of the best young and experienced actors of the day. James Franco does a great job with the relationship to Harvey Milk, and the struggles of someone who loves another person but doesn't love their behavior. Franco's character couldn't deal with the pressure that the elections forced. Emile Hirsch does an even better job with a character who is a young energetic man fighting for acceptance, and his character just provides so much spunk and clever comedy to lighten the mood that he is fantastically engaging. However Penn makes them all look like child actors with his absolutely perfect portrayal of Harvey Milk, a charismatic and exuberant man who fought for his people and his cause till his unfair and untimely death. This movie approaches emotion with an incredibly sure hand, however never comes close to giving into melodrama or unnecessary emotion. It's warm, powerful, exuberant, heartfelt, and most of all inspiring. Absolutely loved it!

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:28 am
The Lubitsch Touch

I really liked it.

What it does best, I think, is communicate the sense of a movement, of a revolution. It was thrilling. "Inspiring" is a dangerous word, but Milk comes awfully close to it at times.

It's to Van Sant's credit that the film feels remarkably light and sure-footed right to the end, even when things get, you know, tragic. And above all else, Milk the film entertains, which surprised me given the subject matter. My friend thought it was all too conventional, but he would have been pissed if it had been another Elephant, and I'm not sure what he expected from a star-studded biopic like this.

And the normally loathesome Sean Penn totally disappears into Harvey Milk. It's a terrific performance. Every once in a while (Sweet & Lowdown) he gives a great performance that makes you forget how much he sucks in things like Mystic River or I Am Sam or his everyday life.

Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:01 am
Extraordinary

Note to Danny Boyle:
This is how you make a film that feels alive. No tricks necessary.

Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:36 pm
Where will you be?

yoshue wrote:
My friend thought it was all too conventional, but he would have been pissed if it had been another Elephant, and I'm not sure what he expected from a star-studded biopic like this.

After Gus Van Sant's string of films that weren't afraid to challenge audience's expectations of a traditional narrative, I thought that he might be able to make this star-studded biopic a bit more adventurous. It certainly can be done, as shown by I'm Not There. His direction is rock solid, as is the acting, even when certain supporting players have rather little to work with. Maybe it was the trailer, which for my money is the single best-edited piece out of Hollywood from last year, but I just expected something richer.

Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next