Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Låt den rätte komma in [Let the Right One In] 

What grade would you give this film?
A 74%  74%  [ 17 ]
B 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
C 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
D 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 23

Låt den rätte komma in [Let the Right One In] 

Post Låt den rätte komma in [Let the Right One In]
Let the Right One In

Quote:
Let the Right One In (Swedish: Låt den rätte komma in) is a 2008 Swedish romantic drama/horror film directed by Tomas Alfredson. Based on the novel of the same name by John Ajvide Lindqvist (who also wrote the screenplay), the film tells the story of a bullied 12-year-old boy who develops a friendship with a vampire child in Blackeberg, a suburb of Stockholm, in the early 1980s. Alfredson, unfamiliar with the horror and vampire genres, decided to tone down many elements of the novel and focus primarily on the relationship between the two main characters. Selecting the lead actors involved a year-long process with open castings held all over Sweden. In the end, then 11-year-olds Kåre Hedebrant and Lina Leandersson were chosen for the leading roles. They were subsequently commended by both Alfredson and film reviewers for their performances.

The film received widespread international critical acclaim and won numerous awards, including the "Founders Award for Best Narrative Feature" at the 2008 Tribeca Film Festival and the European Fantastic Film Festivals Federation's 2008 Méliès d'Or (Golden Méliès) for the "Best European Fantastic Feature Film", as well as four Guldbagge Awards from the Swedish Film Institute.

Due to the film's initial success at various film festivals, the rights for an English-language remake of the film sold before the film had its theatrical release. Matt Reeves will direct the English-language film, slated for release in 2010.

Sun May 04, 2008 4:44 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Låt den rätte komma in [Let the Right One In]
Incredibly strange and violent, yet also really sweet and touching. Both of the young actors deliver memorable performances, and the screenplay is wonderful - successfully integrating vampire mythology into this romance-fantasy-horror hybrid. It runs too long, but overall it's definitely worth checking out. A-

Last edited by thompsoncory on Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 04, 2008 7:46 pm
Profile YIM
Jordan Mugen-Honda

This is an incredible film I loved it, I think Trixster D
an tell how I loved It better.

Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:16 am
Teenage Dream

Gulli wrote:

'Scuse me?

Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:17 am
Jordan Mugen-Honda

makeshift wrote:
Gulli wrote:

'Scuse me?

Hehe sorry I watched this with Trix. I loved it but I think Trix would review it far better then me.

Makeshift watch this its incredible.

Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:19 am
loyalfromlondon

Gulli's a little choked up.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:19 am
Teenage Dream

Gulli wrote:
makeshift wrote:
Gulli wrote:

'Scuse me?

Hehe sorry I watched this with Trix. I loved it but I think Trix would review it far better then me.

Makeshift watch this its incredible.

I really, really want to see this. I'm kind of burnt out on watching movies at my computer, though. :(

Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:20 am
Kypade

What's the deal with vampires? I guess it's not really important, but I dont think I really know what they're about.

Other than that, there's some ridiculously good stuff about this movie. Namely, Eli and Oskar. Everything they did, individually and especially together, was just about perfect. The rest of it is good, too. I didn't care for the music though.

Also, wtf is with cats? Maybe that ties into wtf is with vampires? Anyone wanna let me know?

Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:09 pm
You must have big rats

I told you all it's great.

Top 3 of the year stuff so far.

Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:53 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

BTW, there's a theory floating around that the whole thing is not actually real (Eli's existance). What do you think about that? I think that unlike Pan's Labyrinth it is much less ambigous here.

Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:54 am
Profile WWW
Kypade

I agree. That doesn't really make sense at all.

Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:54 pm
loyalfromlondon

This is an amazing film.

Ostensibly just another form of "vampire entertainment", it's instead something much deeper and more interesting. Though it references vampire lore and mythology throughout, even in its title, the film's not really about vampires at all; indeed, any supernatural being could be supplanted into the role with the thematic heart of the story remaining the same. It's about a boy finally finding the courage to stand up to bullies and a girl uncomfortable in her young body, and the relationship that blossoms between them. That's it.

But it's so masterfully shot and told that it's hard not to find brilliance in the details. Like the admirably restrained cinematography, such as when Oskar and Eli meet for the first time or one of the vampire attacks. It successfully abstains from falling into the shot/reverse shot trap of mediocrity, without resorting to showy camerawork or flashy visuals. Indeed, it's so purposefully unobtrusive that the shocking moments it captures are even moreso, and provide a nice contrast to the purity and innocence of the young love. And it all comes to a head with that brilliant scene in the swimming pool at the end, which may be one of the best shots I've ever seen. Simply stunning.

Of course, the real strengths of the film are in the pitch-perfect relationship between the two leads. It's neither creepy nor off-putting, just totally genuine and believable. It could've been something obvious and generic, but the film goes the unfamiliar route, adding adult emotions and feelings to this childlike romance. You never know how it's going to end, and when it does, it's utterly heartbreaking. The final shot is perfect, however disturbing or grotesque the implications may be. Completely seals the film.

So, totally brilliant work. Damn Hollywood for making a remake of this so soon.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:37 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Film so sad :(

Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:21 am
You must have big rats

trixster wrote:
This is an amazing film.

Ostensibly just another form of "vampire entertainment", it's instead something much deeper and more interesting. Though it references vampire lore and mythology throughout, even in its title, the film's not really about vampires at all; indeed, any supernatural being could be supplanted into the role with the thematic heart of the story remaining the same. It's about a boy finally finding the courage to stand up to bullies and a girl uncomfortable in her young body, and the relationship that blossoms between them. That's it.

Spoiler: show
Heh, Eli is not a girl, though. An aspect that I am sure as hell won't make it into the remake.

Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:00 pm
Profile WWW
Kypade

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Heh, Eli is not a girl, though. An aspect that I am sure as hell won't make it into the remake.

Speaking of that, some questions I had. (Also, lots of spoilers potentially within these tags, so dont read if you havent seen it)
This goes back to my ignorance on vampires, I guess, but I didn't get the deal with Eli "not being a girl". Is there no such thing as female vampires? Or did this one just happened to start out as a male? And was the implication that vampires aren't human at all? Because I find it hard to believe that Eli wasn't supposed to be 'human.'

Also, what's the deal with blood. Does blood keep them young? Or just alive? Why did she seem to get old at some points? Or was that just 'scary' masquerading as old?

And the father guy, was he a vampire too? He seemed to be eating an apple or something at one point, but when she tried to eat candy she got all sick.

Speaking of fathers, was Oskar's dad gay? Because I totally got the impression that the guy who visited him was his lover or something.

And seriously, what's up with cats?!

Finally, what are the implications of the final shot? And how are they disturbing or grotesque? I'm not positive, and could just be misremembering, but didn't it end with them on the train? Or was there something after that?

I think that's all for now.

Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:34 pm
loyalfromlondon

kypade wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:

Speaking of that, some questions I had. (Also, lots of spoilers potentially within these tags, so dont read if you havent seen it)
This goes back to my ignorance on vampires, I guess, but I didn't get the deal with Eli "not being a girl". Is there no such thing as female vampires? Or did this one just happened to start out as a male? And was the implication that vampires aren't human at all? Because I find it hard to believe that Eli wasn't supposed to be 'human.'

Also, what's the deal with blood. Does blood keep them young? Or just alive? Why did she seem to get old at some points? Or was that just 'scary' masquerading as old?

And the father guy, was he a vampire too? He seemed to be eating an apple or something at one point, but when she tried to eat candy she got all sick.

Speaking of fathers, was Oskar's dad gay? Because I totally got the impression that the guy who visited him was his lover or something.

Finally, what are the implications of the final shot? And how are they disturbing or grotesque? I'm not positive, and could just be misremembering, but didn't it end with them on the train? Or was there something after that?

I didn't really get that Eli wasn't a girl, just that she didn't identify with either gender. She's genderless. This is common to a lot of vampire stories.

Eli's like this 200-year-old soul stuck in a 12-year-old girl's body. That's probably where the "seem to get old at some points" comes from, because she's really that old underneath.

Eli's "father" wasn't her father, or even a vampire, just some guy (possibly a pedophile) who helps her feed by killing people and draining all the blood out of them. This is the role Oskar is implied to be fulfilling at the end, helping her get blood and such.

I don't know about Oskar's dad, that part confused me. And I don't know what's up with cats, I've never seen that in any vampire fiction before.

A lot of this stuff I got by reading up on the book, because obviously it goes into a lot more detail. And you should really brush up on your vampire fiction, kypade. :thumbsup:

Same.

Algren wrote:

Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:02 pm
You must have big rats

In the book:

Eli is not a girl, it's a boy who had his genitals removed.

Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:10 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Dr. Lecter wrote:
In the book:

I didn't really get a sense of this at all in the film, though. Did I miss something?

Same.

Algren wrote:

Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:11 pm
You must have big rats

trixster wrote:
kypade wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:

I didn't really get that Eli wasn't a girl, just that she didn't identify with either gender. She's genderless. This is common to a lot of vampire stories.

Eli's like this 200-year-old soul stuck in a 12-year-old girl's body. That's probably where the "seem to get old at some points" comes from, because she's really that old underneath.

Eli's "father" wasn't her father, or even a vampire, just some guy (possibly a pedophile) who helps her feed by killing people and draining all the blood out of them. This is the role Oskar is implied to be fulfilling at the end, helping her get blood and such.

I don't know about Oskar's dad, that part confused me. And I don't know what's up with cats, I've never seen that in any vampire fiction before.

A lot of this stuff I got by reading up on the book, because obviously it goes into a lot more detail. And you should really brush up on your vampire fiction, kypade. :thumbsup:

Pretty much agreed with what you said, especially about Oskar taking on the old man's job. I have a feeling that the old guy was jealous of Oskar too because I suppose that a long time ago he was in exactly the same position.

Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:12 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

trixster wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
In the book:

I didn't really get a sense of this at all in the film, though. Did I miss something?

Not really, in the film it is all implied, but in the book it is much more clear. However, there's one scene when Oskar sees Eli bottomless and all you can see is a scar (or stitches) - assume it ties into the genitals being removed.

And this is the part that will NOT make it into a remake. An implied homosexual relationship between two kids (especially since Oskar obviously doesn't even care about her being a him) - that's way too risque.

Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:15 pm
Profile WWW
Kypade

Cool, thanks. That all makes sense.

It didnt even occur to me about the ending, but now it seems totally obvious (and even more brilliant).

And there is a shot in which Oskar peeks in on Eli changing and you can clearly see a scar where genitals should be.

Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:17 pm
loyalfromlondon

Dr. Lecter wrote:
trixster wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
In the book:

Not really, in the film it is all implied, but in the book it is much more clear. However, there's one scene when Oskar sees Eli bottomless and all you can see is a scar (or stitches) - assume it ties into the genitals being removed.

And this is the part that will NOT make it into a remake. An implied homosexual relationship between two kids (especially since Oskar obviously doesn't even care about her being a him) - that's way too risque.

I remember that shot, but totally didn't clue in that it was stitches. I just thought it was, y'know. :oops:

Same.

Algren wrote:

Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:18 pm
You must have big rats

Lol

Trix hasn't seen many then! :P

No seriously, I thought that twist was pretty excellent.

Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:25 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Not on twelve year old girls.

I'm not THAT much of a perv.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:25 pm
You must have big rats