Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 1179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 48  Next
 The DVD/Blu-Ray Rental and Sales Thread 
You must have big rats

Post Re: The DVD/VHS Rental Sales Thread
Grandma's Boy has become an incredibly huge hit on DVD! I mean it made $6 million in theatres and sold over 2.4 million copies! Hell, that's more than some $90+ million grossers end up selling!

The High School Musical films have performed very well on DVD, but Imust admit the numbers aren't as huge as I actually expected.

Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:14 am
Profile WWW
Orphan

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Grandma's Boy has become an incredibly huge hit on DVD! I mean it made $6 million in theatres and sold over 2.4 million copies! Hell, that's more than some $90+ million grossers end up selling!

Pot-smoking movies do really well on DVD. DVD sales was the whole reason Harold and Kumar got a sequel. I expect Pineapple Express to sell incredibly well on DVD as well.

Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:41 pm
You must have big rats

Joe wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:

Pot-smoking movies do really well on DVD. DVD sales was the whole reason Harold and Kumar got a sequel. I expect Pineapple Express to sell incredibly well on DVD as well.

Good...but THAT good? I mean Harold and Kumar is even more of a cult flick. I suppose the first one probably sold over 4 million copies then.

Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:46 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/dvdrentals ... -17&p=.htm

A #2 debut for SMART PEOPLE seems great. Though NIM'S ISLAND was #1 for a second week, so I imagine SMART PEOPLE only did around 5 Million.

Nice for THE SECRET.

Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:24 pm
Extraordinary

So grandma's boy has a strong cult following.

Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:55 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

God I wish they would go back to posting the actual rental grosses :(.

Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:52 pm
So much has happened to me that I don’t understand

Grandma's Boy DOES have a following... I've heard people quoting and talking about it quite a few times in the last couple years actually.

Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:04 pm
You must have big rats

This week's sales:

http://the-numbers.com/dvd/charts/weekly/thisweek.php

Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:27 pm
Profile WWW
Begging Naked

Beat me by TWO MINUTES. :lol:

It's always kinda humorous to see how much of a following some shows have that we don't always consider...One Tree Hill? NCIS? As for Heroes, not very good, but expected, considering how disliked Season 2 was.

Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:30 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Dexter and Gossip Girl are doing well. And holy fucking shit at the gross for Little Mermaid 3.

That's good for Heroes: Season 2 I think. The first season has been out a year and has grossed $79,031,047 so far, which includes the holiday season, which I'm sure gives them a nice boost. For Season 2 to do over 11 Million in its first week is pretty good, IMO.

Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:04 pm
Top Poster

Jon wrote:

It's always kinda humorous to see how much of a following some shows have that we don't always consider...One Tree Hill? NCIS? As for Heroes, not very good, but expected, considering how disliked Season 2 was.

Season 1 has made almost $80m, though. That's pretty impressive. I wonder what the biggest sales for a TV show are? Has to be between that, Lost, and 24, right?

Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:29 pm
You must have big rats

Jon wrote:

Heh, and I thought that everyone but me abandoned this thread anyway.

I for one, find it pretty interesting to follow DVD sales. Too bad we don't get real rentals numbers anymore.

I think considering how disliked the second seaosn of Heroes was, it's a great number for it actually. House, M.D. on the other hand seems to be watched a lot on TV, but not many want to own it.

The first season of Heroes was simply HUGE. I think Lost S3 sold around 1.2 million during its first seven weeks and should be at 1.4 million by now. Lost S2 sold around 1.25 million in 6six weeks, so its total is probably around 1.6-1.7 million. So, all things considered, for a TV series, Heroes did VERY well in its first season and S2 should pass 1 million in sales easily as well.

Disastrous for Prom Night. It did more opening day at the box-office than it'l do in total on DVD, it seems. It might not even sell 500,000 copies in total.

21 is holding well, I could see it passing 2 million copies in sales eventually, finishing above Disturbia. Looks like a crowd pleaser.

I'm surprised Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay isn't doing better, it looked like a fiulm that'd do terrific DVD business. I guess 1+ million in sales is still decent for a $40 million grosser, but still.

Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:02 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Here's some more info. The Top 50 sales of 2008 so far:

http://the-numbers.com/dvd/charts/annual/2008.php

They keep tracking the films, even if they are not in the weekly Top 25 anymore, so the numbers are always updated.

National Treasure: Book of Secrets
is THIS close to passing I Am Legend as the #1 seller of the year. However, I'm still disappointed in the performance of last year's November/December biggies on DVD. I mean last year, Night at the Museum and Happy Feet were both HUGE on DVD, none of the November/December films of 2007 seem to come close.

National Treasure 2 will probably still have a healthy shelf life, especially with yet another sequel to come. I see it selling over 7 million copies eventually. I Am Legend is probably the most disappointing since it made over $250 million in theatres, yet will struggle to 7 million sales.

Enchanted did pretty well, I see it jumping back into the charts around Christmas, so I'd say it'll end up with 6+ million sold units as well.

3:10 to Yuma remains the biggest success story of the year on DVD so far. It's this year's Shooter as far as its surprising success on DVD goes. It'll pass 3 million sales eventually, selling more than the higher-grossing and Oscar-winning No Country for Old Men.

I'm surpised by What Happens in Vegas' weak start on DVD, especially considering that 27 Dresses sold almost 2.4 million copies by now. How come? I actually thought Vegas had better WoM. Yet it looks to barely sell over 1.5 million units when all is said and done.

Beowulf will soon pass 2 million copies in sales as well, showing that the 3D gimmick was not the only reason for the film's success.

Saw IV's drop-off in DVD sales from Saw IIII (1.7 million vs. 3 million) is pretty bad.

Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:15 pm
Profile WWW
Begging Naked

Yeah, I've enjoyed following DVD sales as well, but there hasn't been much over the summer.

This week's numbers were updated impressively early, though there's not much to check out. I am however impressed by how well The Office does on DVD. It's down only about 6-7% from what Season 3 sold in its first week, while most shows seem to be down a lot more. I mean, Desperate Housewives S4 sold only 67,000 copies compared to the 118,000 last year for S3, despite being generally better received. And the series (The Office) as a whole has done quite well on DVD. S3 was the third biggest season pack last year, and S2 has sold about 2.4 million DVDs between its release in 2006 and the end of 2007. And the six-episode first season has made a few random appearances over time, but we won't get full numbers for that show for a long while.

Also, another archived week from spring 2006. It should be interesting to see the complete numbers for Narnia (Selling 2.4 million copies in the second week :wacko: ), King Kong and Brokeback Mountain. Though I REALLY can't wait until they finally get to October and we see the complete numbers for Batman Begins, but at this rate that won't be until March next year. :glare:

Also: The Greatest Game Ever Played has sold 1.6 million copies! :whaa: I guess Shia's stardom has helped the film some over the years.

Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:53 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Jon wrote:
Yeah, I've enjoyed following DVD sales as well, but there hasn't been much over the summer.

This week's numbers were updated impressively early, though there's not much to check out. I am however impressed by how well The Office does on DVD. It's down only about 6-7% from what Season 3 sold in its first week, while most shows seem to be down a lot more. I mean, Desperate Housewives S4 sold only 67,000 copies compared to the 118,000 last year for S3, despite being generally better received. And the series (The Office) as a whole has done quite well on DVD. S3 was the third biggest season pack last year, and S2 has sold about 2.4 million DVDs between its release in 2006 and the end of 2007. And the six-episode first season has made a few random appearances over time, but we won't get full numbers for that show for a long while.

Also, another archived week from spring 2006. It should be interesting to see the complete numbers for Narnia (Selling 2.4 million copies in the second week :wacko: ), King Kong and Brokeback Mountain. Though I REALLY can't wait until they finally get to October and we see the complete numbers for Batman Begins, but at this rate that won't be until March next year. :glare:

Also: The Greatest Game Ever Played has sold 1.6 million copies! :whaa: I guess Shia's stardom has helped the film some over the years.

Did you notice, Jon, that A History of Violence sold over 400,000 copies in its FIFHT week?! I think that looks most amazing. I really wanna see the full numbers there. The next weeks will be quite interesting, as we'll see full numbers for that, King Kong, Narnia and Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I guess Narnia sold over 15 million, remember it being HUGE.

Pretty amazing for The Greatest Game Ever Played, ain't it?

I'm also stunned that Aeon Flux sold over 2 million copies. But good for it, I actually liked it.

As for this weekend, I'm still surprised that What Happens in Vegas isn't doing better.

And DVDs that really make me wonder how many copies they sold are also The Polar Express and The Notebook. I'm guessing way over 10 million for both (hell, The Notebook sold over 1.5 million copies just last year!).

Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:47 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Wow! Supernatural: Season 3 sold quite a bit more than Desperate Housewives: Season 4. That's actually not very good for Desperate Housewives. Great for The Office: Season 4 though. That show is huge on DVD.

Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:12 am
Wallflower

The movie SKINWALKERS actually did over 21 Million in sales :ohmy:.

Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:28 am
Begging Naked

The DVD Sales Chart has already been updated this week. Yay! The Forbidden Kingdom and Baby Mama both did well in a photo finish, but Grey's Anatomy sold nearly half the DVDs this season than it did last season. Not too hot.

Plus, the sales for April 3-9, 2006! Narnia has officially sold over 12 million copies....I thought it was way more than that? And BBM did pretty well, with 1.8 million to date. Next week we'll get the full numbers for King Kong, which should be interesting.

Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:22 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Yeah, I also thought that Narnia sold more than that, but hey, 12 million is a pretty great number for a live action flick. It's more than Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix sold so far and a film like the first Narnia flick will appear on the charts each year around Christmas time.

And I think that 1.8 million is pretty disappointing for Brokeback Mountain considering the devoted fanbase it has developed as well as all the Oscar hype. I mean, c'mon, that's almost as uch as Aeon Flux has sold, even though that made less than one-third of BBM's gross at the box-office. I think it really is not that good of a number for it. I expected 2.5+ million copies.

I'm already excited for King Kong. I think it'll be something like 8-9 million. Oh and I really really would like to know the sales for The Notebook. Hell, that films appear on the charts ALL THE TIME! I wouldn't be surprised by something like 15+ million sales for it.

As for this week:

Decent for The Forbidden Kingdom and Baby Mama, but not much more. Both will end up selling around 1.5 million copies.

Laughable for Prom Night and pretty disappointing for Nim's Island. I expected the latter to clear 1 million in sales much faster considering it's a family flick and all...

Transformers is simply insane....having sold over 14 million copies and still dpoing well. I expect it to be at well over 15 million before Transformers 2 is out, beating Pirates 3 as the biggest DVD seller released in 2007.

Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:32 pm
Profile WWW
Orphan

Transformers is also the top-selling HD-DVD and on its way to becoming the same for Blu-Ray. I wonder how many copies it has sold if you combine all three formats?

Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:43 pm
You must have big rats

This week's sales:

http://www.the-numbers.com/dvd/charts/w ... isweek.php

Another addition to the sales archive: (King Kong's numbers!)

http://www.the-numbers.com/dvd/charts/w ... 060402.php

Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:05 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

This week's sales (Sex and the City!):

http://the-numbers.com/dvd/charts/weekly/thisweek.php

Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:46 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

SEX & THE CITY did simply AMAZING!

Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:38 pm
Extraordinary

http://www.tvpredictions.com/iron100808.htm

Dont be suprise if next week Iron Man's dvd numbers dont look as impressive as other first week numbers from other tentpole films, the Blu ray is selling like crazy and its selling pretty good against the dvd version, i dont know if the numbers will include blu-ray sales in the dvd sales.

Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:15 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

So has Transformers already sold more than At World's End?

And are there any total numbers available for The Notebook?

Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:17 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 1179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 48  Next