Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Towelhead 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Towelhead 
Extraordinary

Post Towelhead
Towelhead

Quote:
Towelhead (also known as Nothing is Private) is a 2007 black comedy film written and directed by Alan Ball and based on Alicia Erian's novel of the same name. The film made its world premiere at the Toronto Film Festival on September 8, 2007 under the name Nothing is Private. The film, like the book, touches on issues of sexual awakening, privacy, and race.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:02 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Towelhead
I had a feeling that this would be a great one when I saw that Alan Ball was attached to write and direct. He is not only responsible for one of the greatest movies of all time, 1999's magnificent American Beauty, but also created one of the best shows ever to air on television - the equally daring and compelling HBO series "Six Feet Under." Naturally, with that kind of pedigree, it seems obvious that I would anticipate anything he works on. The trailer for this one seemed great too - and I could tell instantly that this was the perfect project for him. I read the novel the film is based on over the summer and couldn't put it down - it was one of the best books I've read in quite some time. So I stepped into the theater with somewhat lofty expectations. I'm happy to say that they were all met and then some. This is a fantastic film, and really serves as a perfect adaptation of the original source material. The acting here is particularly noteworthy, as several performers manage to give truly noteworthy performances. Aaron Eckhart, after his unforgettable turn as Harvey Dent in the summer blockbuster The Dark Knight, once again delivers a fantastic performance that is against type for him. It's a chilling portrayal and Eckhart makes it so the audience never knows what his character is capable of. Toni Collette is wonderful as the most sympathetic character in the story. Maria Bello is alright but completely underused here, but the role wasn't very prominent in the novel so I wasn't too surprised. I had a bit of a problem with Peter Macdissi, simply because I feel he played his character as too sympathetic. Jasira's father is supposed to be terrifying and incredibly rash, and this is an aspect that was definitely toned down a great deal. The real standout here is Summer Bashil, who delivers the best female performance of the year so far. She perfectly conveys Jasira's vulnerability and her naive attitude towards life, and it's hard not to feel for her character as she goes through many of the disturbing acts that occur throughout the film's duration. It's impeccably written and directed by Ball, who really has a knack for these imperfect suburbia storylines. The dialogue is believable and often darkly humorous, and the characters are all fascinating and generally well-developed. This is a fantastic film - one of the year's best so far. Don't miss it. A

Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:12 pm
Profile YIM
Kypade

I am so surprised by the love this film has been getting.
some quick thoughts from elsewhere:
Spoiler: show
One of the first people to leave the theater (two old ladies i think) stopped in the hallway thing and said something like "This movie is disgraceful shit and anyone who watches the whole thing is going to hell." I dont remember the words exactly, but it was in that format and that was the general message (might have been disgusting shit, or something though). After them another dozen or so people eventually left.

That helped the film for me some.

At least 75 percent of it is terrible, trainwreck stuff...Like, I went in knowing nothing other than [that someone gave it a 10/10], and I genuinely thought for a good forty minutes or so that [his 10/10] must have been a joke. But there are a couple performances/characters that are awesome, and about a combined twenty minutes throughout that are funny or touching or whatever.

The main girl really made the film, mostly trainwreck or not, totally worth watching. She is really great. Rly really. I think the boy should have looked younger, or similarly, their/her age should have been raised (nothing else rly would have had to be touched either).

The only way I can say this film is "great" is if I pretend that everyone but Jasira is a cartoon. As if it's some big experiment in which the director is making this girls coming of age story and purposely made almost everything else suck, just to bring her growth into focus. In this case, it's an incredibly satisfying film, because this girl is so good. It really feels like yr watching her grow on screen...like a time lapse of a flower or whatever. But I have to assume thats just her performance and we're not supposed to ignore the rest of the movie.

Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:47 am
Wallflower

TOWELHEAD - 8/10 (B+)

Very good film, IMO.

Last edited by Magic Mike on Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:25 am
The Wall

8/10 -> B

Disturbing and hilarious at once. It's consistently good, but never really great. The acting is top notch here. Awesome ensemble work here.

Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:51 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]