Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 23787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 952  Next
 Japan Box-Office: On Hiatus 
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea (200M+ possible?)
2008 has been quite the year for individual film records.

Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis grossing almost 200M in France.
The Dark Knight grossing north of 500M in the US.
Ponyo On The Cliff By The Sea having a chance at 200M in Japan.
Mamma Mia! grossing north of 100M soon in the UK.

Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis is out of theatres now, correct? And it indeed is the biggest film of all time in France?

The Dark Knight easily becoming the No.2 film of all time in the US, and possibly the 4th film to cross the 1B mark Worldwide.

Ponyo On The Cliff By The Sea possibly becoming the No.2 film of all time in Japan. It's at least assured the Top 4.

Mamma Mia! soon to being the 5th film in the UK to ever gross over 100M. Any guess where it'll end up on the All Time List? Top 5 is assured at least. And HP5 seems in range if I remember correctly.

Are there any more films I'm possibly missing from other countries this year that rival what the above four have done/are doing locally?

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:08 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea (Week 5, 90M and counting)
Corpse wrote:
All Time List in Japan:

1. Spirited Away - 234M (though some say more).
2. Titanic - 202M
3. Howl's Moving Castle - 190M
4. Princess Mononoke - 170M (just going to average the estimates).

I don't know what's 5th, could be HP1 with 152M though.

HP1 was at $190m+, though below $200m. Titanic is above $210m, and I've never seen so high a figure for Mononoke. Bayside Shakedown had like $160-170m, and I think is ahead of PM in dollar terms.

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:36 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Box wrote:
Corpse wrote:
All Time List in Japan:

1. Spirited Away - 234M (though some say more).
2. Titanic - 202M
4. Princess Mononoke - 170M (just going to average the estimates).

I don't know what's 5th, could be HP1 with 152M though.

HP1 was at $190m+, though below $200m. Titanic is above $210m, and I've never seen so high a figure for Mononoke. Bayside Shakedown had like $160-170m, and I think is ahead of PM in dollar terms.

Not calling you wrong, but do you have any links for HP1? BOM still has 152M btw. BOM basically has about 155M for Mononoke (no actual number, but it'd be around that if you take the few countries it does have off it's total), but I've read articles that said it was No.1 in Japan (160 is a common number I've ran across) until Titanic beat it later.

I don't think Bayside was THAT big. I think it grossed 17B yen, alot yes, but I think that'd be around.... 150M or so.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:39 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Quote:
Princess Mononoke came out in Japan in 1997 and quickly broke all existing records for gross sales in Japan. The previous titleholder: E.T. That's right, nothing had hit the Japanese box-offices since 1982 worth beating out E.T. Since then, the only movie to break Princess Mononoke's Japanese record has been Titanic, a movie which every female on the planet between the ages of ten and sixteen has sworn (under oath) to have seen at least thirteen times. But again, I digress.
http://www.animefu.com/index.pl?node_id=3691

So it had to be above Bayside since it was No.1 in Japan until Titanic. Of course both Howl and Spirited Away have beat it as well now.

Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:50 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Ah, just found this:

Quote:
Bayside Shakedown 2

Upon its release, Bayside Shakedown 2 broke the record (held by Spirited Away) for the biggest-ever opening for a Japanese film in Japan. And with a gross of $158 million, this was worldwide the most successful film of 2003 that was not in the English language!

It and Mononoke have to be quite close. 158M would be a little more than 17B yen, so the sources match up.

Quote:
EDIT: Bayside Shakedown 2" is the third most successful Japanese movie to date in terms of box-office revenues, following the 30.4 billion yen brought in by the Oscar-winning 2001 animated film "Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi" ("Spirited Away") and the 19.3 billion yen earned by 1997's animation film, "Mononokehime" ("Princess Mononoke"). Japan's box office hit will be screening in most Asian countries later this year including South Korea and Hong Kong.
http://www.asiaarts.ucla.edu/030829/200 ... clips.html

19.3B yen is about 175M for Mononoke.

So the list, more accurate list:

1. Spirited Away - 276M
2. Titanic - 210M?
4. Princess Mononoke - 175M
5. Bayside Shakedown 2 - 158M

Ponyo should be able to knock Bayside Shakedown 2 out of the Top 5.

Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:53 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Spirited Away did not make $276m, PLEASE.

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:06 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Box wrote:
Spirited Away did not make $276m, PLEASE.

30.4 Billion Yen translates to 276M.

Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:08 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

There's this too:

Quote:
Spirited Away was released in Japan in July 2001, drawing an audience of around 23 million and revenues of 30 billion yen (approx. $250 million US), to become the highest-grossing film in Japanese history (beating Titanic (1997)); it is said that by 2002, a sixth of the Japanese population had seen it.

http://www.pianomoz.com/spirited-away.htm

Though it converts to a little more than 250M US.

Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:11 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Excuse me, but which exchange rates are you using exactly? You do know that the yen is much stronger against the dollar now than it was earlier this decade, right? Exchange rates change on a daily basis; you'd have to translate Spirited Away's daily grosses in 2001 into 2001 dollars and add the total up to come up with the US dollar equivalent, which is undoubtedly below $240m.

MadGez wrote:

Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:11 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

We're talking about YEN. If you use the 2001 Dollar vs Yen, the chart isn't going to change order, nor is the YEN amount, just the dollar amount. The list above (with Spirited Away at 276, Mononoke at 175, Bayside 158, etc) is the updated list. They would be lower if you only use the dollar amount 3,4,5,etc years ago, but the rankings wouldn't change since the YEN they gross wouldn't have changed, and it wouldn't decrease. Spirited with 30.4B, How's Moving Castle 21B, Mononoke 19.3B, Bayside Shakedown 2 17B. The point here is, if a film made 30.4B Yen, it made 30.4B yen In 3 years, that 30.4B yen may mean 200M US, or maybe it could mean 300M US. But the rankings of the films can't change, nor will what they grossed, just the US dollar equivalent.

Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:26 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Corpse wrote:
We're talking about YEN. If you use the 2001 Dollar vs Yen, the chart isn't going to change order, nor is the YEN amount, just the dollar amount. The list above (with Spirited Away at 276, Mononoke at 175, Bayside 158, etc) is the updated list. They would be lower if you only use the dollar amount 3,4,5,etc years ago, but the rankings wouldn't change since the YEN they gross wouldn't have changed, and it wouldn't decrease. Spirited with 30.4B, How's Moving Castle 21B, Mononoke 19.3B, Bayside Shakedown 2 17B. The point here is, if a film made 30.4B Yen, it made 30.4B yen In 3 years, that 30.4B yen may mean 200M US, or maybe it could mean 300M US. But the rankings of the films can't change, nor will what they grossed, just the US dollar equivalent.

And since we count everything by the dollar equivalent...

In any case, the $276 million figure is not correct, since we are not dealing with adjusted figures anywhere else.

Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:45 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Corpse wrote:

In any case, the $276 million figure is not correct, since we are not dealing with adjusted figures anywhere else.

You're not understanding or confusing something. The 276M figure is correct, today. Many Japanese websites use either the 250M number or the 280M number. Last year, no. The year before, no, etc. It's not an adjusted number in the same way that Titanic's DOM gross adjusts to like 800M+ or something because that's never going to decrease, it'll only increase year after year. But since the dollar vs yen can either increase or decrease over time, so will the dollar equivalent of any film overseas. But what that film made in it's countries currency won't. In this case, Yen. Spirited Away's 30.4B Yen isn't going anywhere (because Im not dealing with adjusted numbers). Only the dollar equivalent will drop or increase. And since the dollar has been growing weaker for quite some time, the dollar equivalent for most (I won't say all since I don't pay attention to every single country) oversea grossed have increased. In 5 years from now, Spirited Away's dollar equivalent could fall as low as 200M, or maybe it'll rise to 300M+. No one can be exactly sure.

Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:37 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Quote:
We also have the audience attendence chart for the Japanese box office. For the 6th week in a row, Hayao Miyazaki’s Ponyo on a Cliff by the Sea takes the top spot. The comic book adaptation Detroit Metal City, starring Kenichi Matsuyama, debuts impressively at 2nd place. Sex and the City didn’t do too shabby, either, with a 3rd place debut. The Mummy 3 falls to fourth place, and Star Wars Clone Wars could muster only a 6th place debut..

Quote:
Aug 23 - 24
Nationwide Box Office

ThisWeek/LastWeek/Title/Distributor/Week#

1 1 Ponyo On The Cliff By The Sea (JPN.Animation) Toho 6

2 NEW Detroit Metal City (JPN.) Toho 1

3 NEW SEX AND THE CITY Gaga 1

4 2 THE MUMMY: TOMB OF THE DRAGON EMPEROR Toho Towa 2

5 3 Pikachu The Movie 2008 (JPN.Animation) Toho 6

6 NEW STAR WARS: THE CLONE WARS WB 1

7 5 THE DARK KNIGHT WB 3

8 6 Boys Over Flowers The Movie (JPN.) Toho 9

9 8 Masked Rider Kiva /Go-onger The Movie (JPN.) Toei 3

10 7 KUNG FU PANDA Asmik Ace/Kadokawa Entertainment 5

http://www.cinemanavi.co.jp/english/weekend.html

No number yet though.

Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:09 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea (6 weeks @ No.1)
http://www.screendaily.com/ScreenDailyB ... rritory=67

1(1) Ponyo on the Cliff By The Sea (Gake no ue no Ponyo) (Jap) Toho 6 577,124,963 5,263,530 481 10,943 -32 104,585,211

Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:27 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea (6 weeks @ No.1)
neo_wolf wrote:
http://www.screendaily.com/ScreenDailyBoxOfficeChart.aspx?Territory=67

1(1) Ponyo on the Cliff By The Sea (Gake no ue no Ponyo) (Jap) Toho 6 577,124,963 5,263,530 481 10,943 -32 104,585,211

THANK YOU!

And last weekend was a holiday if I didn't mention that somewhere in here.

I'll post some more numbers in a second.

Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:49 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

NUMBERZ!

13.8M
7.5M [822M] (-46%) it's second weekend. 29.3M [3.2B] total
7.2M [790M] (-3%) it's third weekend. 48M [5.25B] total.
6.85M [750M] (-5%) it's fourth weekend. 65.4M [7.2B] total.
7.7M [844M] (+12.8%) it's fifth weekend. 90M total [10B]*Holiday Week*.
5.27M [578M] (-32%) it's sixth weekend. 105M total [11.5B]

First Week: 14.3M [1.56B]
Second Week: 15.01M [1.65B], +700K [+76.6M] (total - 29.3M [3.2B])
Third Week: 18.45M [2.05B], +3.44M [+375M] (total - 48M [5.25B])
Fourth Week: 17.6M [1.93B], -850K [-282M] (total - 65.5M [7.2B])
Fifth Week: 25.4M [2.77B], +7.8M [+855M] (total - 90M [10B])*Holiday Week*
Sixth Week: 15.0M [1.65B] , -10.4M (total - 105M [11.5B])

It's 7th weekend is going to be below's Howl's Moving Castle (7M [765M]), and Howl's Moving Castle was around 125M [13.7B] after it's seventh weekend.

Right now, Ponyo needs to add roughly 20M [2.1B] in it's seventh week to match Howl's Moving Castle after week 7, which seems a little too high. If it levels off like it did after it opened after the holiday weekend last week, and sees a single digit drop like it did for several weeks, it should make around 4.9/5M [550M] from next SAT/SUN, and weekdays have usually been about 60% of it's weekly gross, so it should make around 12M [1.4B] for week 7, putting it roughly at 117,000,000 [12.8B], so about 8M [1B] behind Howl's Moving Castle. Howl's Moving Castle made 65M [7.1B] for the rest of it's run, so if we lower than some for Ponyo, Ponyo is possible heading for roughly 170,000,000 [18.5B], which would be enough to enter the Top 5 in Japan (needs to gross over 158,000,000 [17B], and maybe challenging Princess Mononoke (175,000,000 [19.3B]) to become the 4th Biggest Film In Japan History.

Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:15 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Corpse wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
Corpse wrote:

You're not understanding or confusing something. The 276M figure is correct, today. Many Japanese websites use either the 250M number or the 280M number. Last year, no. The year before, no, etc. It's not an adjusted number in the same way that Titanic's DOM gross adjusts to like 800M+ or something because that's never going to decrease, it'll only increase year after year. But since the dollar vs yen can either increase or decrease over time, so will the dollar equivalent of any film overseas. But what that film made in it's countries currency won't. In this case, Yen. Spirited Away's 30.4B Yen isn't going anywhere (because Im not dealing with adjusted numbers). Only the dollar equivalent will drop or increase. And since the dollar has been growing weaker for quite some time, the dollar equivalent for most (I won't say all since I don't pay attention to every single country) oversea grossed have increased. In 5 years from now, Spirited Away's dollar equivalent could fall as low as 200M, or maybe it'll rise to 300M+. No one can be exactly sure.

Actually I don't think you understood what Box and Lecter tried to say. Basically you can't adjust 2001 foreign gross with 2007 or 2008 or 2009 exchange rate. It simply doesn't make sense. There is no guarantee that its domestic gross would've stayed the same if it had been the current exchange rate. You have to always use the rate during the period the film was released in and stay with that even if the Yen to Dollar were to somehow become 1:1 someday. Also, there would be no point of adjusting to USD if the gross for each film ever released in one country is always converted using the current rate. It's the fluctuation of the exchange rate that makes it possible where you could see different all-time rankings if using the local currency comparing to the USD.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:00 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Corpse wrote:
2008 has been quite the year for individual film records.

Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis grossing almost 200M in France.
The Dark Knight grossing north of 500M in the US.
Ponyo On The Cliff By The Sea having a chance at 200M in Japan.
Mamma Mia! grossing north of 100M soon in the UK.

Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis is out of theatres now, correct? And it indeed is the biggest film of all time in France?

The Dark Knight easily becoming the No.2 film of all time in the US, and possibly the 4th film to cross the 1B mark Worldwide.

Ponyo On The Cliff By The Sea possibly becoming the No.2 film of all time in Japan. It's at least assured the Top 4.

Mamma Mia! soon to being the 5th film in the UK to ever gross over 100M. Any guess where it'll end up on the All Time List? Top 5 is assured at least. And HP5 seems in range if I remember correctly.

Are there any more films I'm possibly missing from other countries this year that rival what the above four have done/are doing locally?

I think you could add Russian "Irony of Fate 2", which did $55.6 m in former Soviet territories, most notably crossing $50 m in Russia itself. Although it opened in late December 07...

Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:45 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea (6 weeks @ No.1, 11.5B YEN)
Quote:
1 1 Ponyo on the Cliff By the Sea Toho $5,243,907 -32 481 0 $10,902 37 $104,195,310

2 new Detroit Metal City Toho 3,196,214 -- 241 -- $13,262 2 $3,196,214

3 new Sex and the City GAGA $2,595,181 -- 295 -- $8,797 2 $2,595,181

4 2 The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor Towa $2,199,758 -68 547 -1 $4,021 9 $12,898,967

5 4 Pikachu: The Movie Toho $1,086,687 -32 359 0 $3,026 37 $39,332,091

6 new Star Wars: The Clone Wars Warner Bros. $1,002,405 -- 473 -- $2,119 2 $1,002,405

7 5 The Dark Knight Warner Bros. $786,521 -50 301 -159 $2,613 16 $10,979,283

8 6 Boys Over Flowers Toho $740,523 -41 316 0 $2,343 58 $66,077,788

9 8 Masked Rider Kiva/Go-onger The Movie Toei $639,758 -37 285 -1 $2,244 16 $6,428,346

10 7 Kung Fu Panda Asmik Ace/Kadokawa $626,530 -41 366 -72 $1,711 30 $15,158,330
Totals $18,117,484 3664 $51,038 $261,863,915

Several sharp drops due to the holiday weekend last week (especially The Mummy 3, umm, ouch. 25M may be too much for it now.) And Star Wars did quite horrible. Ponyo is the first film since Howl's Moving Castle to gross over 10B Yen, and over 100M. And Pokemon The 11th Movie looks like it's headed to be the biggest film of the franchise, which is VERY impressive since it opened the same day as Ponyo. Just needs to make over 45/46M.

Boys Over Flowers is still doing very well, it will likely be the No.2 film of the year, could reach 80M.

Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:47 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

How come Pokemon is still so popular? 11 movies? Damn it...

Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:22 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Rumpelschtiltzchen wrote:

The teaser for the 12th is already out, so it'll continue the trend of one movie every year. With the 11th Movie likely go make over 5B Yen, 5.5B or so seems to be likely, it'll put the francise roughly at: 52B Yen (475M) after 11 films, and that's not including the overseas gross of the first few films that were released worldwide. Very good, and the current film looks to become the biggest in the franchise yet, so it's popularity in Japan isn't going anywhere for awhile.

Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:20 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Corpse wrote:

The teaser for the 12th is already out, so it'll continue the trend of one movie every year. With the 11th Movie likely go make over 5B Yen, 5.5B or so seems to be likely, it'll put the francise roughly at: 52B Yen (475M) after 11 films, and that's not including the overseas gross of the first few films that were released worldwide. Very good, and the current film looks to become the biggest in the franchise yet, so it's popularity in Japan isn't going anywhere for awhile.

I didn't even know they are still filming. It's kinda strange they don't release any of them here (I remember the first 3 were on VHS back then, but I haven't seen any ever since) - Pokemon was a HUGE phenomenon in the beginning of 2000s. Kids and tweens were raving about it. It all died only after they ended showing the TV series.

Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:30 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Corpse wrote:

I didn't even know they are still filming. It's kinda strange they don't release any of them here (I remember the first 3 were on VHS back then, but I haven't seen any ever since) - Pokemon was a HUGE phenomenon in the beginning of 2000s. Kids and tweens were raving about it. It all died only after they ended showing the TV series.

The anime and movies are pretty much dead outside of Japan. Though the video games are still as big as ever worldwide. Always at the top, or near the top of the best selling games of the year, and is the second best selling video game franchise behind only Mario. Here (US), the movies have been Direct To Video since Movie 6 I think.

Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:42 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Corpse wrote:
Corpse wrote:

The anime and movies are pretty much dead outside of Japan. Though the video games are still as big as ever worldwide. Always at the top, or near the top of the best selling games of the year, and is the second best selling video game franchise behind only Mario. Here (US), the movies have been Direct To Video since Movie 6 I think.

Well, given the rising anime craze in Russia, they could have released Pokemon films to promote it to kids and grow the anime fanbase further. I mean, most of Russian diehard anime fans started with Sailor Moon anyway, though they will never admit it...

Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:56 pm
Forum General

Why are all the American films doing so badly in Japan?
Not that anything else either than Ponyo has even crossed 40m

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:35 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 23787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 952  Next