Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 1389 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 56  Next
 Russia Box-Office Thread 

Which country will lead the International market in 2012?
& CIS 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
United Kingdom 31%  31%  [ 16 ]
Japan 19%  19%  [ 10 ]
South Korea 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
France 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Germany 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
China 42%  42%  [ 22 ]
Total votes : 52

Russia Box-Office Thread 
Cream of the Crop

Post Russia Box-Office Thread
Deleted

Last edited by Mr. R on Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:06 am, edited 185 times in total.

Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:12 pm
Extraordinary

Post Re: RUSSIA & CIS Watch
This is a great thread idea.

But do you honestly expect Russia to surpass America as the biggest box office market in the world by 2025? America's population by then will be near 340m, and assuming a similar viewing percentage, and a conservative ticket price increase of 3% per annum, ticket prices will be at least $12, maybe $13 then. The US box office should be at $20B at least by then. Russia's market would have to increase by more than 21% a year every year without interruption to reach that figure.

I suspect that what will happen, instead, is that theatre going in general will give way to home viewing, as the home entertainment systems will acquire more and more of the features of cinema. I wouldn't be surprised if attendance figures in America actually declined due to changing cultural patterns. So basically, it will be useless to talk about which market is the biggest film market, as box office receipts will become less and less a significant determinant of that.

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:43 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Box wrote:
This is a great thread idea.

But do you honestly expect Russia to surpass America as the biggest box office market in the world by 2025? America's population by then will be near 340m, and assuming a similar viewing percentage, and a conservative ticket price increase of 3% per annum, ticket prices will be at least $12, maybe $13 then. The US box office should be at $20B at least by then. Russia's market would have to increase by more than 21% a year every year without interruption to reach that figure.

It's a challenging goal, but we will work hard to achive it. :lol: Don't forget that current population of CIS is already 278 million, and assuming that most of the countries will only grow and develop, it's not that unattainable.

Box wrote:
I suspect that what will happen, instead, is that theatre going in general will give way to home viewing, as the home entertainment systems will acquire more and more of the features of cinema. I wouldn't be surprised if attendance figures in America actually declined due to changing cultural patterns. So basically, it will be useless to talk about which market is the biggest film market, as box office receipts will become less and less a significant determinant of that.

That's why I said #1 movie market by 2030 :funny: It basically includes all cinematic experiences.

Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:55 pm
je vois l'avenir

It is definitely the biggest grower and will very soon become the second biggest. But as for passing the US.....I'm not sure...a possibility but it still has a lot of work to do to get there.

Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:06 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

We are talking about how much all films in a given territory make for the annual year, right?

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:10 pm
Profile WWW
je vois l'avenir

Corpse wrote:
We are talking about how much all films in a given territory make for the annual year, right?

Yup...well at least I am

Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:11 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

And, currently, the biggest markets are:

North America
Japan
United Kingdom
South Korea
France
Germany

Correct, in that order?

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:14 pm
Profile WWW
je vois l'avenir

Corpse wrote:

North America
Japan
United Kingdom
South Korea
France
Germany

Correct, in that order?

Not sure about the order...perhaps UK is second followed by Japan/Germany?

Isn't Germany bigger than France?

Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:15 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Misutaa Supaakoru wrote:
Corpse wrote:

North America
Japan
United Kingdom
South Korea
France
Germany

Correct, in that order?

Not sure about the order...perhaps UK is second followed by Japan/Germany?

Isn't Germany bigger than France?

I don't think Japan is behind the United Kingdom. It's the only market outside NA where a film has been able to gross over 200M. I could be wrong though. And all the Japanese films are said to be doing better and better each year, and for the first time in over 30 years, there are over 3000 theatres again. Though the decline in Hollywood films this decade is taking it's toll..

Im not sure about France and Germany. Whenever I look up some big film, that film always grosses about the exact same in both countries.

Last edited by Corpse on Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:18 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I would say that France and Germany are bigger than South Korea? Or does the latter just have that much more breadth?

Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:19 pm
Extraordinary

Corpse wrote:

North America
Japan
United Kingdom
South Korea
France
Germany

Correct, in that order?

No, depending on what year, the UK and France pass Japan, which has been stagnant for over a decade now. Those three are usually between $1.5-2B. Probably over $2B now in the case of France and UK. No clue about Japan.

I'd say right now it's

North America
United Kingdom
Japan or France
Germany
South Korea
Australia or Russia/CIS

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:19 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Jiffy208 wrote:
I would say that France and Germany are bigger than South Korea? Or does the latter just have that much more breadth?

France is much bigger than South Korea; probably double, actually. Germany is considerably bigger too.

South Korea's box office in 2005 was $850m. It's definitely a huge market, but all the others are above $1B.

MadGez wrote:

Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:20 pm
Profile WWW
je vois l'avenir

Corpse wrote:

I don't think Japan is behind the United Kingdom. It's the only market outside NA where a film has been able to gross over 200M. I could be wrong though. And all the Japanese films are said to be doing better and better each year, and for the first time in over 30 years, there are over 3000 theatres again. Though the decline in Hollywood films this decade is taking it's tole.

Im not sure about France and Germany. Whenever I look up some big film, that film always grosses about the exact same in both countries.

True, but annually, don't film on average gross more in the UK? hmmm i'll do some research

Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:21 pm
je vois l'avenir

According to BOM, UK's weekend totals are usually higher than Japan's.

Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:24 pm
Extraordinary

I would say that the UK is now bigger than Japan. Japan's box office, I think, is around $2B. I suspect the UK's is now bigger than that.

I think France might give them both a run for the title, though.

Interesting tidbit: Japan had 7,457 theatres in the 1960s before TV hit theatres big time. The number dove to 1,734 in 1993, but has increased considerably since to around 3,000 now, I think.

MadGez wrote:

Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:26 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Misutaa Supaakoru wrote:
Corpse wrote:

I don't think Japan is behind the United Kingdom. It's the only market outside NA where a film has been able to gross over 200M. I could be wrong though. And all the Japanese films are said to be doing better and better each year, and for the first time in over 30 years, there are over 3000 theatres again. Though the decline in Hollywood films this decade is taking it's tole.

True, but annually, don't film on average gross more in the UK? hmmm i'll do some research

The UK probably does now since Hollywood films have been on the decline for several years (this is the reason several 900M+ grossers have failed to hit 1B. AWE and HP5 being two very recent examples). Though local films are on the rise, so it may balance itself out eventually.

Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:31 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Ok, I just took a look at BOM, and there's no way that the UK is at $2B for 2007. Closer to $1.5-1.6B. I suspect that Japan is safely ahead of it.

And France would be well behind with around $1.3B.

Does ANYONE have any actual data for 2007?

MadGez wrote:

Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:36 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Japan's 2008 total should be very strong this year since Ponyo on a Cliff By the Sea is being released very soon. Tickets have been on sale for 3 months I read somewhere. And (I dont understand it), but the studio said after they aired the trailer, that if 100 people saw the trailer, 105 people would see the movie. And it certainly doesn't hurt that 1/6 of Japan's Population has seen Spirited Away, and Howl's Moving Castle nearly hit 200M a few years back.

Last edited by Corpse on Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:38 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

I wish I had a premier pass on showbizdata...then I wouldn't have to jump around each country.

They give these numbers (in millions):

UK $1,755
Japan $1,720
South Korea $1,266
France $1,120
Germany $1,015
Mexico $867
Italy $840
Spain $830
Australia $767

Japan $1,624
UK $1,619
Germany $1,150
France $1,114
South Korea $1,012
Spain $835
Mexico $777
Australia $698
Italy $612

Japan $1,971
UK $1,636
France $1,029
Mexico $971
Germany $848
South Korea $845
Australia $644
Italy $603
Spain $452

I believe Russia should be #10 behind these. This year we'll probably jump a few lines up.

Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:39 pm
Extraordinary

Corpse wrote:
Japan's 2008 total should be very strong this year since Ponyo on a Cliff By the Sea is being released very soon. Tickets have been on sale for 3 months I read somewhere.

Yes, but France has already had their biggest film of all time. In the UK, don't forget the Quantom Solace/HP double-punch. Those films could rake in $200m combined, enough to offset gains made by Ponyo.

MadGez wrote:

Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:40 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Box wrote:
Corpse wrote:
Japan's 2008 total should be very strong this year since Ponyo on a Cliff By the Sea is being released very soon. Tickets have been on sale for 3 months I read somewhere.

Yes, but France has already had their biggest film of all time. In the UK, don't forget the Quantom Solace/HP double-punch. Those films could rake in $200m combined, enough to offset gains made by Ponyo.

250M for Ponyo. :whistle:

Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:41 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Rumpelschtiltzchen wrote:
I wish I had a premier pass on showbizdata...then I wouldn't have to jump around each country.

They give these numbers (in millions):

UK $1,755
Japan $1,720
South Korea $1,266
France $1,120
Germany $1,015
Mexico $867
Italy $840
Spain $830
Australia $767

Japan $1,624
UK $1,619
Germany $1,150
France $1,114
South Korea $1,012
Spain $835
Mexico $777
Australia $698
Italy $612

Japan $1,971
UK $1,636
France $1,029
Mexico $971
Germany $848
South Korea $845
Australia $644
Italy $603
Spain $452

I believe Russia should be #10 behind these. This year we'll probably jump a few lines up.

Oh, thank you!!! That's massive for South Korea! I find France's number to be a bit disappointing.

They have a bigger attendance figure than Japan, though. It's just that tickets in Japan are so insanely high.

MadGez wrote:

Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:42 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

This year is gonna be even bigger for most of these. South Korea and Italy are other two big growth centers.

Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:45 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Does anyone have totals for 2008 so far? :D Exciting stuff. :P

Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:46 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Well, it seems that the $1B+ markets don't really register consistent growth, so Russia should have no problem surpassing them in the next few years. Countries like South Korea and Italy are too small to catch up.

And China's and India's markets seem to be a mess :nerd:

MadGez wrote:

Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:47 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 1389 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 56  Next