Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Charlie Wilson's War 

What grade would you give this film?
A 38%  38%  [ 10 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 13 ]
C 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
D 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
F 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 26

Charlie Wilson's War 
On autopilot for the summer

Post Re: Charlie Wilson's War
Great acting, Hoffman and Hanks on screen together are terrific and when the film really takes off. Smart and funny, with a good hint of human patriotism that's as important today as it was in the 1980s. I don't think I'll ever need to see it again, but it was very entertaining and the best of these type of political films in a while.

A- Hoffman and Hanks were both really good, won't be surprised if they both win Golden Globes, oscars may be a stretch though, Javier for No Country seems like a shore win for Supporting actor this year.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:35 pm
You must have big rats

That was a letdown. With its interesting topic and a splendid cast I really expected more. While there were a couple of funny scenes (especially the aforementioned "revolving door"-scene), I still fail to understand why on earth the HFPA labeled this a comedy since it most certainly doesn't seem like one. Yes, it is satirical in parts, but on the whole, it isn't intended to be a comedy. A lighthearted movie on a serious subject? Sure, but not quite a comedy.

Tom Hanks is his usual good self, delivering his best performance in a while (not hard since he was rather bland in The Da Vinci Code and The Terminal). The character of Charlie Wilson really isn't similar to the roles he usually plays, but he pulled it off well. Julia Roberts' short appearance is okay, but not too memorable. I think I just had some difficulties with her character. Amy Adams is good once again, but has far too little screentime. Even moreso that applies to Emily Blunt whose appearance is sadly mostly limited to walk around in underwear in Hanks' apartment. And seriously, why on earth would someone like Blunt fall for someone like Hanks?! Some sci-fi coing on here, heh.

Philip Seymour Hoffman is the one who stands out here and the reviewers as well as the Academy thankfully noticed that. His performance actually reminded me a bit of Mark Wahlberg's in The Departed. Similarly funny harsh one-liners. Hoffman didn't deliver the best supporting performance of the year certainly, but his nom is well-deserved. The screenplay is good, but not all it is praised to be. Hoffman mostly gets the good lines and I really loved how the movie brings its point home at the end with Hanks' Wilson trying to convince the congressmen to invest in Afghanistan after the war and, in particular, with Hoffman's story of the zen master and the boy. That single story makes a great point and gives the film the needed importance and actuality. The mid-part of the film sadly gets a bit tedious with not much happening apart from Hanks trying to get the money together. Once that is done, I felt the movie was over too soon, but at least the final ten minutes or so were damn great. Too bad overall, since it could have been a realy brilliant political satire.

Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:44 pm
Profile WWW
I just lost the game

Well. This was an interesting movie.

First-off, the acting. I thought Hanks did well, sort of sticking to his traditional Hanks formula of acting but showing a bit more than that than he normally does. He leads the movie well. Hoffman takes the show by far; his character's introduction is the best scene in the whole movie in large part because of Hoffman. Roberts bored me. She usually doesn't dazzle me - (Bradley ought to give me a dose of that hype pill he keeps talking about, since that's the only way I buy liking Roberts's acting).

The direction was fine, but not great. The writing was good, but aside from the aforementioned scene to introduce Hoffman's character, I was never really dazzled. The whole movie was put together pretty well. No major complaints on the technical side of the film.

Overall I think the movie just needed more. I agree with somebody that it needed another 20 minutes or so to really provide closure on the issue. Without that, I feel the whole experience lacks any depth. It is otherwise just a story...which is fine for Transformers or Indiana Jones. I was just hoping this could hold itself to a somewhat higher standard than "just."

B

Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:42 pm
Cream of the Crop

-

Last edited by Mr. R on Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:22 am
Extraordinary

Rumpelschtiltzchen wrote:
I seriously tried to find any single drop of truth, objectivity and professionalism in depiction of the events in Afganistan in that movie. And I didn't. It looks like nothing more than politically engaged propaganda of the good old Cold War times, which distorts facts to make a bigger impression on the uninformed viewer. I think you should conduct the in-depth research of such a hot topic before you start projects like this, if you don't want to enrage people who know just slightly more than the average American. It's very clear that the authors didn't do their homework - and I'm glad the movie failed. It's easy to impress the crowd with the horrors of the war, especially when you know exactly that the viewer is too lazy to do his own research about the subject matter. OK, so let's keep it really-really simple and really-really scary: Soviet troops invade poor Afganistan, cruelly murder all the innocent people, especially kids and pregnant women, rape everyone, while our guys help the brave citizens take their country back and defeat the Red monster, and, yeah, we forget about the political complications all over the place not to overload the viewer's brain with too much useless information. I gues that was the logic of the authors. OK, then I want to thank them for taking the audience for undereducated idiots. Thanks guys. Now we know everything about that war. No need to dig into historical books. Yeah!... etc... etc... etc... etc... etc...

Yow!

In the same way that impaired drivers should spare us all by not driving, the humor-impaired should spare us all by not seeing satires.

Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:42 am
Cream of the Crop

-

Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:42 am
Extraordinary

Gogol is crying right now...

Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:24 am
Christian's #1 Fan

I seriously tried to find any single drop of truth, objectivity and professionalism in depiction of the events in Afganistan in that movie. And I didn't. It looks like nothing more than politically engaged propaganda of the good old Cold War times, which distorts facts to make a bigger impression on the uninformed viewer. I think you should conduct the in-depth research of such a hot topic before you start projects like this, if you don't want to enrage people who know just slightly more than the average American. It's very clear that the authors didn't do their homework - and I'm glad the movie failed. It's easy to impress the crowd with the horrors of the war, especially when you know exactly that the viewer is too lazy to do his own research about the subject matter. OK, so let's keep it really-really simple and really-really scary: Soviet troops invade poor Afganistan, cruelly murder all the innocent people, especially kids and pregnant women, rape everyone, while our guys help the brave citizens take their country back and defeat the Red monster, and, yeah, we forget about the political complications all over the place not to overload the viewer's brain with too much useless information. I gues that was the logic of the authors. OK, then I want to thank them for taking the audience for undereducated idiots. Thanks guys. Now we know everything about that war. No need to dig into historical books. Yeah!

What Bradley said.

But good Lord. The movie is based on a true story that doesn't mean every word is true. And freaking out because it insulted your poor innocent Soviet rulers is pretty stupid. I'm not defending US foreign policy (and I hardly think that the filmmakers were either) but to claim that the Soviets were altruistic and good hearted people as you seem to be saying (whenever you can between sucking on their dead tits), you, my friend, are full of shit.

And I know this, because I have family from there. Don't even try to tell me that the Soviets didn't subjugate other countries and don't try to play like they were some godsend ruling class because they weren't. There is a reason that the USSR failed, maybe you should read your history books.

Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:37 pm
Cream of the Crop

-

Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:44 pm
Stanley Cup

poor soviet union :roll: Wow almost said that with a straight face.

Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:58 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Cut out the section with the Hind's which was rather odd and fix the pacing and this would have worked better.

As it is it's passable.

Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:55 am
Cream of the Crop

[-

Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:54 am
Extraordinary

Jim Halpert wrote:
poor soviet union :roll: Wow almost said that with a straight face.

Well, I don't care much about Soviet Union. I care about people.

Obviously Soviet union was supporting pro-communist government, invading the sovereign country - that is bad by any means, and that's a political perspective (short-term), an issue the movie focuses on. But it does not take into account (we can even say, ignores) another perspective: historical (long-term). With all complications of this war, and all the terrible mistakes that were done, Soviet union was fighting against the rise of islamic fundamentalism, which it considered a threat, while nobody else did. Nobody will question that the same islamic fundamentalism became the mother of the world's terrorism, which in the end brought us Chechnya wars, Beslan, 9/11 and other terrorist attacks. Nowadays it is considered the biggest global threat, whereas 20+ years ago it was taken quite differently. That's the tragedy of USSR: trying to resolve a right problem with the wrong means will never give positive results. And guess what: the same mistake has been repeated by current American administration.

We can talk about how the movie hides facts to impress the viewer. In February 1986 at the Party congress Gorbachev, after being appointed General Secretary in March 1985, made a statement about starting the plan of withdrawal of troops from Afganistan. Again, for those who can't read well: February 1986. In March 1986 (one more time for those who can't read well: March 1986) Americans started supplying mojahedins with Stingers to bring down Soviet Aviation, and that's where the movie starts showing us the numbers of destroyed choppers and planes by seasons. And then, voilà, April 1988, Geneva agreements signed. So where's the logic: the official course to withdrawal and exit had been taken and declared by the all-powerful Red monster (meaning the war is gonna be over shortly), while peaceful American administration and heroic Charlie Wilson start supplying mojahedins with weapons and money. Something doesn't work here. Well, they say war is a good business for some.

It took so long to stop the war because of high political instability in Soviet Union: the living corpse Brezhnev died in 1982, while his brain and heart were not working well for quite a while, and his political influence was insignificant; Andropov, the deeply ill man with artificial kidney, who couldn't live without special treatment, ruled for 1 year and 4 months, died on his post; Chernenko, another living corpse, ruled for less than a year, died on his post. So before Gorbachev there was not even a leader who could do any significant steps to stop the war, while some people on the both sides of the conflict wanted the war to go on. Did the movie show us anything behind the curtain? NO!

P.S. So where's that guy who advised me to read historical books? Probably washing his pants...

Oh my goodness, somebody's been thoroughly educated. It would appear that the Russians were just as brainwashed by propaganda as the Americans were. What a surprise.

(The movie certainly digs deeper in it's telling of the tale, than this simplistic good guy/bad guy "history"...)

Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:10 am
Cream of the Crop

[-

Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:40 am
Christian's #1 Fan

You probably don't read English well, since I never said anything what you've mentioned here (like, "insulting soviet rulers, altruistic, good hearted, didn't subjugate, godsend ruling class" - I've never said anything like this). I guess you just wanted to find something to argue about. Or you might be just stupid. Either way works. Oppositional defiant disorder, my friend, is a serious illness.

You may not have said it right there, but you sure have implied it elsewhere. This isn't the first post I've read by you Rumple...

Also, since you want to bring in mental disorders (bad, bad mistake) I figured I'd give you the criteria for ODD, straight from the DSM-IV (I happen to have a copy sitting on my desk):

1. A pattern of negativistic, hostile, and defiant behavior lasting at least 6 months, during which four (or more) of the following are present:
1. often loses temper
2. often argues with adults
3. often actively defies or refuses to comply with adults' requests or rules
4. often deliberately annoys people
5. often blames others for his or her mistakes or misbehavior
6. is often touchy or easily annoyed by others
7. is often angry and resentful
8. is often spiteful or vindictive

Note: Consider a criterion met only if the behavior occurs more frequently than is typically observed in individuals of comparable age and developmental level.
2. The disturbance in behavior causes clinically significant impairment in social, academic, or occupational functioning.
3. The behaviors do not occur exclusively during the course of a Psychotic or Mood Disorder.
4. Criteria are not met for Conduct Disorder, and, if the individual is age 18 years or older, criteria are not met for Antisocial Personality Disorder.

Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:26 am
Cream of the Crop

=

Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:25 am
Christian's #1 Fan

Man, you must be really stupid to bring up my own sitation. Damn, I'm laughing under the freaking table! Worst peace of plagiarism I've seen on this forum. You f$cked up yourself big time right here right now! :lol: :lol: :lol: Guys, can you belive this?! :D :lol:

Man, I'm not gonna even diagnose your case: you are just an I-D-I-O-T! :hahaha:

Umm...yeah because they both come from the DSM-IV...right, that's sure plagiarism there buddy. You actually make me laugh so I don't think you're so bad. Someone who doesn't know who to pick fights with and/or how to pick said fights? That you are.

Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:35 am
Christian's #1 Fan

Oh that's right, you probably don't even know what the DSM-IV is.

My bad. Go back and educate yourself on that and then come back, ok?

Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:35 am
Cream of the Crop

-

Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:04 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

You just sucked, accept that and move on. I think you learned the lesson not to argue with those who can drown you in shit.

Right because we both got our source from the same place.

And I'm pretty sure I can outwit you when it comes to discussing psychology considering ohhh I've been in the field for years and all.

Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:10 pm
Cream of the Crop

[

Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:27 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

Jeff wrote:
You just sucked, accept that and move on. I think you learned the lesson not to argue with those who can drown you in shit.

Right because we both got our source from the same place.

And I'm pretty sure I can outwit you.

Yeah, those who tried to outwit me now rest in the ground peacefully. Because I'm the only genius in the whole f#cking business. :thumbsup:

I said in a specific field.

Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:52 pm
Team Kris

Rump was alluding to someone's quote. :mer:

Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:10 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

Christian wrote:
Rump was alluding to someone's quote. :mer:

Pick your side Christian! :thumbsup:

Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:25 pm

Chill out you two, please. I want to read how Charlie Wilson fights Martians, not that bickering from last page.

Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:32 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next