Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull 

What grade would you give this film?
A 32%  32%  [ 23 ]
B 47%  47%  [ 34 ]
C 14%  14%  [ 10 ]
D 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
F 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 73

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull 
On autopilot for the summer

Post Re: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
I thought the point of the Skull was explained as not being magnetized. Crystall and gold are in fact not magnetized in real life. So the Skull was something else that had things that reflected magnetism.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon May 26, 2008 10:17 pm
Star Trek XI

Waker of Winds wrote:

Least favorite moments/aspects:

-The opening scene on the road with the teens (it was pretty pointless)

I've criticized the film a lot here, but let me come to its defense in this instance. That opening scene was actually quite elegant and not at all pointless. It basically highlights the vast differences between the American and Soviet way of life in the 50s. Americans = fun loving, human. Commies= soulless automatons. Spielberg knew what he was doing.

Mon May 26, 2008 10:50 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

Thegun wrote:
Snrub wrote:
snack wrote:
Snrub wrote:
snack wrote:
Snrub wrote:
Saw it for a second time today. I enjoyed the good parts even more (most of the film), but had a few quibbles with certain parts. For example, if the spaceship had been there for thousands of years with all of the aliens fully intact until 500 years ago, why hadn't they taken off long before? Also, why was the obelisk/key fully intact if conquistadors had barged in not so long ago? And how did the conquistadors even manage to get into the alien chamber without a skull to open the door?

The most annoying thing about the film though (apart from Harrison's pronunciation of "nucular") was the skull's seemingly random magnetism. In some scenes it was conveniently magnetic in others, not at all. I particularly liked how at the beginning the crowbars that opened the crate were seemingly unaffected by the magnetic properties of the alien until after they'd pried open the crate. And how the light fixtures only gravitated towards it while it was being moved. They could've saved a fair bit of gun powder by just looking for the light fixtures that were pointing at an odd angle.

That's a property of magnetism.
Magnetic force = (charge on metal) x (velocity) x (magnetic field strength)
So when velocity (speed) is zero, the lamps shouldn't move.

They shouldn't move while it's stationary, but surely they should've at least been fixed in the general direction of the alien while it was stationary.

More magnetism craziness: Spalko's rapier clings to the box at the beginning of the film, but during a swordfight, both her and Mutt's swords are seemingly unaffected by the skull's magnetic properties, even going so far as to fling said skull to and fro using their swords.

Well was it the skull that was so highly magnetized or some other part of the alien's body?

It was magnetised when they found it in the graveyard. And other times here and there when the film saw fit.

Well they didnt explain it enough, but it only would appear magnetized or to have power when Oxley would uncover it. Thats why the ants were about to attack him before he took off, same with the Indians. Perhaps the skull only did it when it was in the open (And yes, while it was in the tomb, it had been removed before so it's power may have only had a single direct line when say Indy had the coins in front of it.

You guys could suck the fun out of a Bugs Bunny cartoon with this level of over-analysis...

Tue May 27, 2008 12:54 am
Extraordinary

Rogue wrote:
Waker of Winds wrote:

I've criticized the film a lot here, but let me come to its defense in this instance. That opening scene was actually quite elegant and not at all pointless. It basically highlights the vast differences between the American and Soviet way of life in the 50s. Americans = fun loving, human. Commies= soulless automatons. Spielberg knew what he was doing.

He knew what he was doing? What exactly is he doing?

Do you even know what life in the Soviet Union was like? Exactly how different or similar it was to life in America?

And how fun loving and human was life in the 1950s segregated South? Did Black people feel fully human then? How about all those millions of poor people across America in the 1950s, since then, and before? How fun loving a place has America been to them? How about other marginalized groups?

And if you think all communists are soulless automatons, I feel very sorry for you, you tool. Believe it or not, the people in the Soviet Union were as human and fun loving as Americans have ever been.

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Tue May 27, 2008 1:19 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

box-2004 wrote:
Believe it or not, the people in the Soviet Union were as human and fun loving as Americans have ever been.

Yeah that's right, comrade boxeyevich! Just look at this documentary on their fashion shows...

Tue May 27, 2008 1:38 am
---------

Rogue wrote:
Waker of Winds wrote:

Hmm I thought it was to establish something not very right was going on in those cars, as they were being so serious.

Tue May 27, 2008 1:48 am
We had our time together

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
You guys could suck the fun out of a Bugs Bunny cartoon with this level of over-analysis...

:funny: Absolutely.

Tue May 27, 2008 5:28 am
Profile WWW
I just lost the game

MG Casey wrote:
Rogue wrote:
Waker of Winds wrote:

Hmm I thought it was to establish something not very right was going on in those cars, as they were being so serious.

He just needed a filler to roll credits over.

Tue May 27, 2008 6:18 am
Forum General

Soviet Union was humane, tell that to the Armenians, East Europeans, Afghani's.....

Box take your commie loving elsewhere...

Tue May 27, 2008 8:10 am
Profile WWW
Star Trek XI

box-2004 wrote:
Rogue wrote:
Waker of Winds wrote:

He knew what he was doing? What exactly is he doing?

Do you even know what life in the Soviet Union was like? Exactly how different or similar it was to life in America?

And how fun loving and human was life in the 1950s segregated South? Did Black people feel fully human then? How about all those millions of poor people across America in the 1950s, since then, and before? How fun loving a place has America been to them? How about other marginalized groups?

And if you think all communists are soulless automatons, I feel very sorry for you, you tool. Believe it or not, the people in the Soviet Union were as human and fun loving as Americans have ever been.

I didn't think I needed to qualify my statements, but leave it to people like box to make that necessary.

In the simple world view of the film, the purpose of the scene was to highlight, in broad strokes, the differences between the Soviets and the Americans. Oh, and by Soviets, I mean agents of the government, not your average Russian.

That better?

And don't call me tool. I was born and lived in Cuba so I know more about it than you. I've actually lived under a communist regime and know what that is like. And yeah, people there are just the same, with the same hopes and dreams. Happy now? You actually thought that I believed people outside the good ole U.S. of A were soulless? Some things are understood without having to be said. I don't need a history or social studies lesson from you.

Last edited by MadGez on Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Personal attack

Tue May 27, 2008 10:46 am
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

The text in bold is not a qualification of what you said before, it's an entirely different statement. There's a world of difference between that and the previous comment. You just re-phrased everything in response to my post and made it out to look as if all that was implied in your initial post, which it was not.

Anyway, if you acknowledge the film to offer a simplistic worldview, I find it even more baffling that you would support it.

Quote:
Soviet Union was humane, tell that to the Armenians, East Europeans, Afghani's.....

That's ridiculous. I was clearly talking about the people in the Soviet Union, not the political institution itself. I abhor the evils of communism as much as anyone else, and at least as much as I abhor the evils of Western capitalism.

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

Tue May 27, 2008 12:47 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trek XI

box-2004 wrote:
The text in bold is not a qualification of what you said before, it's an entirely different statement. There's a world of difference between that and the previous comment. You just re-phrased everything in response to my post and made it out to look as if all that was implied in your initial post, which it was not.

Anyway, if you acknowledge the film to offer a simplistic worldview, I find it even more baffling that you would support it.

Bullshit. It isn't an entirely different statement. I was always talking of the world within the film, not real life. I didn't specifically say that, true. But why should I have to? So that oversensitive, know it all college students don't jump down my throat?

Besides, what do you mean by "support it"? Support what? The film? The scene? I'm not sure what you are referring to. Assuming it is the scene in question, I support it because this isn't a documentary. Spielberg assumes, as did I in this thread, that most in the audience would know that things are not black and white in the real world and that it wouldn't be taken so seriously.

box-2004 wrote:
mannyisthebest wrote:

That's ridiculous. I was clearly talking about the people in the Soviet Union, not the political institution itself. I abhor the evils of communism as much as anyone else, and at least as much as I abhor the evils of Western capitalism.

See what happens when someone mischaracterizes you? I can say to you what you just responded to me, which is that you only say that now because you were criticized for your prior post. I don't believe that though.

You overreactead. Just admit it and move on.

Tue May 27, 2008 1:12 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

No.

MadGez wrote:

Tue May 27, 2008 1:27 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

box-2004 wrote:
No.

Ooo....italics. I don't think anyone can beat that.

Tue May 27, 2008 1:31 pm
Extraordinary

And I resent that you dismiss me as an oversensitive college student. If anything, you're not sensitive enough to what films like Indiana Jones imply. Sure, the Indiana Jones films are mindless entertainment (although, of course, they are not entertaining at all, but merely vapid). You're giving Spielberg a pass because you think it's ok to establish a rigid dichotomy between the Soviets and the Americans in imaginative cinema. You have little reason to do that; Spielberg is doing nothing more than feeding off of Cold War propaganda and recycling it as so-called entertainment which you're unapologetically eating up. It's what Hollywood has been doing with its anti-Muslim, Islamophobic messages in recent years, confirming that the Bush administration's propaganda has seeped into liberal Hollywood's productions.

MadGez wrote:

Tue May 27, 2008 1:41 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

box-2004 wrote:
And I resent that you dismiss me as an oversensitive college student. If anything, you're not sensitive enough to what films like Indiana Jones imply. Sure, the Indiana Jones films are mindless entertainment (although, of course, they are not entertaining at all, but merely vapid). You're giving Spielberg a pass because you think it's ok to establish a rigid dichotomy between the Soviets and the Americans in imaginative cinema. You have little reason to do that; Spielberg is doing nothing more than feeding off on Cold War propaganda and recycling it as so-called entertainment which you're unapologetically eating up. It's what Hollywood has been doing with its anti-Muslim, Islamophobic messages in recent years, confirming that the Bush administration's propaganda has seeped into liberal Hollywood's productions.

Please, dont talk crap like that without seeing the film, he was not showing Russian Citizens as bad guys, just the Goverment, and here is another thing, he showed The U.S goverment people in a negative light aswell in the film.

Tue May 27, 2008 1:43 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I am not talking crap :mad:

MadGez wrote:

Tue May 27, 2008 1:46 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Indy after being betrayed: Why Mac?
Mac: What can i say Jonesy, im a captialist.

Tue May 27, 2008 1:47 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

So Mac's on Spielberg's and Lucas' side, then. Does Spielberg acknowledge that?

And I don't see why capitalism is associated with treachery. If it is anything, it is honest in its greed.

MadGez wrote:

Last edited by Box on Tue May 27, 2008 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue May 27, 2008 1:50 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

box-2004 wrote:

You are saying how Spielberg is using propaganda and how he makes america the good and the Soviets the bad when infact he shows both goverments in the same light.

Tue May 27, 2008 1:50 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

neo_wolf wrote:
box-2004 wrote:

You are saying how Spielberg is using propaganda and how he makes america the good and the Soviets the bad when infact he shows both goverments in the same light.

One does not undo the other. :sleep:

MadGez wrote:

Tue May 27, 2008 1:53 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Mannyisthebest wrote:

:lol:

Tue May 27, 2008 2:19 pm
Star Trek XI

neo_wolf wrote:
box-2004 wrote:
And I resent that you dismiss me as an oversensitive college student. If anything, you're not sensitive enough to what films like Indiana Jones imply. Sure, the Indiana Jones films are mindless entertainment (although, of course, they are not entertaining at all, but merely vapid). You're giving Spielberg a pass because you think it's ok to establish a rigid dichotomy between the Soviets and the Americans in imaginative cinema. You have little reason to do that; Spielberg is doing nothing more than feeding off on Cold War propaganda and recycling it as so-called entertainment which you're unapologetically eating up. It's what Hollywood has been doing with its anti-Muslim, Islamophobic messages in recent years, confirming that the Bush administration's propaganda has seeped into liberal Hollywood's productions.

I do dismiss you as an oversensitive college student because you are overreacting. It is OK to give Spielberg a pass here due to the context in which he establishes the dichotomy between Soviets and Americans - a popcorn flick.

Why does that make it OK? Because of what I already said. The director assumes you are smart enough to know that the real world doesn't work like that. If you aren't smart enough well...tough (I'm not saying you aren't, I'm talking in general). Not every film has to be burdened with shades of grey. A film like Munich, sure. Indiana Jones? No.

You are at that age where you are at your most liberal. It is also the age when you are the most obnoxious. Time will teach you that you have to pick your battles. Worrying about the depiction of Soviets in a popcorn action adventure flick isn't a battle worth fighting. Downright silly, really.

Tue May 27, 2008 2:22 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

That's were you are wrong, dear Rogue. Indiana Jones, while an utterly mindless, simple film made for mindless people who find dumb comments funny (Shack :disgust: ), is nevertheless an evil, evil, evil work. I hate it, so much.

I should also note that Spielberg has a history of misrepresenting dinosaurs as well. They were not that bad.

He got it right with the Nazis, though. :thumbsup: Except I think he portrays them as a bit nicer than they were, but whatever. I'm not one to nitpick.

MadGez wrote:

Tue May 27, 2008 2:32 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trek XI

Hmm... do I finally sense you loosening up? I hope so.

Tue May 27, 2008 2:36 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next