Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
 Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull 

What grade would you give this film?
A 32%  32%  [ 23 ]
B 47%  47%  [ 34 ]
C 14%  14%  [ 10 ]
D 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
F 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 73

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull 
Extraordinary

Post Re: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
loyalfromlondon wrote:
The Dark Shape wrote:
loyalfromlondon wrote:
How bad exactly was Darabont's idea? Ford liked it, Spielberg liked it. Maybe it didnt have enough CGI monkeys for Lucas.

Darabont's draft was the exact same concept, aliens and all.

Did he get a screen credit?

No, though tons of his stuff made it into the film, apparently. Arbitration's a funny thing.

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Dark Shap, since you seem to ave a lot of info on all this.....has there ever been an entirely different concept floating around at any moment? I remember Shyamalan was even involved at some point...

Every legitimate script I know about since the 90s has dealt with aliens in some way. I can't remember if it was Jeff Nathanson or Frank Darabont who first used the Crystal Skull.

Thu May 22, 2008 9:55 pm
You must have big rats

Eh, I wish they had gone with the Atlantis storyline.

Thu May 22, 2008 10:01 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

Still have to post my review for the site, and I'm kind of glad I didn't last night. I saw it again today and all I have to say is what a difference a day (more like 16 hours) makes. Maybe because I wasn't as tired as I was last night at the midnight showing, but I just had a lot of fucking fun watching the film today. Let me make this a little clearer. I went from mildly liking it last night, to absolutely loving it. It might be because I knew what to expect, but nothing bothered me while watching this. I still cringed somewhat during the Shia tarzan sequence, but absolutely did not mind that jungle sequence. Every film in this series (End of Raiders, mine cart chase in Doom, The Jones' airplane shootout in Crusade) has had a sequence where the effects look a little shaky and this was the sequence.

The first 90 minutes of the film are about as good as anything in the prior sequels. I loved the opening (CGI animals didn't bug me this time because I actually found them to be funny) and the refrigerator worked perfectly for me. I also loved the motorcycle chase. And as I mentioned before, the jungle chase worked for me today. Even Cate Blanchett worked for me today. I still think she's probably the weakest villian in the series, but you know, she could give Donovan a run for his money upon more repeat viewings.

Then skipping ahead a little (I also thought the Ants worked well) we get to the finale. Last night I was absolutely puzzled by it. Today, I found it to fit in with everything else. Granted, it's still kind of odd, but I just went with it today. I think that's a big thing about the film, if you just go with it and try not to think too much, it's much easier to like.

Another big reason why I didn't like the film as much last night was because the sound didn't pop. I still have no idea why the theater I went to would allow the sound for a midnight screening, for a film as big as this, to come out just in the front and not in any of the surrounding speakers (yeah, it was that bad), but let's just say that issue was resolved today when I went to another theater. There is no doubt about it, the film's sound "pops", especially during the finale. The theater actually shook a little. As I said before, the sound is a large part of the Indiana Jones series, and I think I finally got the full experience today.

If you've seen the film and were kind of unimpressed by it, or are planning to see it twice anyway, you should absolutely go. The film works. Yes, it's different from the other three, and there are some things in there that will most likely make you cringe, but even with Iron Man, my viewing of the film today was the most fun I've had in a theater yet this year. I actually plan on going once again either tomorrow or on Saturday.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Thu May 22, 2008 10:14 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Please regard my grade and my thoughts as preliminary since I am seeing the film again on Sunday and I found out in the past that films like this are assessed best after some pondering and multiplie viewings.

That said, I was slightly disappointed, but not as muich as I could have been. It's hard to explain.As the film itself, it is very good but comparing it to the other three Indy flicks, it just pales. It simply lacks some of te charm the other three films had. I can't even put my finger on it, but something is missing. Maybe it's just the (obviously necessary) change of an era...I don't know. It's certainly not Harrison Ford, though. Ford is back in the role of his lifetime (I pick this easily over his Han Solo) and he's as good in it as ever. It really doesn't look like 20 years have evn passed for his character. He seems just as in shape, just as in character and his hand-to-hand combat scenes were just as great as in the original. I loved the one with him and the Russian guy being surrounded by the ants.

Karen Allen is another bright light here. She always was the best Indy woman and I was glad to see her back. The interplay between her and Indy is just amazing. Just think of the scne ein the back of the truck. John Hurt is more or less wasted here. I wonder whether his role was originally written for Sean Connery (since there was a screenplay version with him included as I heard). Ray Winstone is decent, but the whole triple-crossing thing got old (though took me by surprise the first two times). Cate Blanchett is a great villain. Not as good as Belloq or the villain in Temple of Dom. but certainly better than the main villain in The Last Crusade. I liked her accent and the performance was very convincing too (in a campy way). I liekd the way the movie dealt with the absence of Brody and Henry Jones Sr., but I wish they had at least mentioned Sallah somehow. Seems a bit ungrateful, eh? Now Shia LaBeouf...he wasn't as annoying as I feared, but I felt there was too much focus on him and he ust wasn't interesting enough. Too much of the action was on his shoulders for my liking, like the swashbuckling scene between him and Blanchett which otherwisewas well-done, except for some exaggerating and unrealistic moments. LaBeouf is not Indy (and that final gag worked very well for me, heh). Speaking of which, this Indy film had a little too many of them for my liking. Some ranging from very unlikely (like surviving the waterfalls or the nuclear blast) right down to laughable (LaBeoug swinging from tree to tree like Tarzan) - that really made me cringe. I know the Indy flicks have never been the epitome of realism, but still, this was way too out there and simply unnecessary.

I certainly liked the action. A lot. The whole part since Marion's appearance until they eneter the lost ciy is awesome. The action during the chase scene is top notch and well-choreographed and executed. Indy fighting the Russians either in packs or one-to-one is great. The killer ants insertion was pretty good too. As far as the humor goes, I didn't think there was much in here, but the things that were in it were great (especially the quicksand and the snake! :funny: )

Now as for the McGuffin and the ending - I had about a year to digest the ide of aliens in an Indy flick and I did it pretty well. I still don't think it fits, but whatever. What I didn't like was the execution. The demise of Spalko, Mac and the other Russians just happened too easily and quickly. I realize, it mirrors the showdowns of Last Crusade and Raiders, but it didn't work as well here. It was too easy and maybe simply too out there. The shot of the flying saucer getting out of the crate is awesome, though, just as the mushroom could shot. Both look very iconic. Spielberg addresses many of the 50s issues here, starting with the nuclear experiments, over the Cold War and the communists witchhunt right down to Shia LaBeouf's obsession with his hairstyle. At times Spielberg just tries too much to point out that these are, indeed, the 50s, but for most of the time it works.

So what shall I say? For now it stands as a very solid movie with Ford back in an iconic role, solid doses of humor and action that just needed a better sfreenplay. After all the years of waiting and working on it, I still can't get rid of the feeling that this seemed rushed.

Thu May 22, 2008 10:54 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Jim Broadbent replaced Connery.

Thu May 22, 2008 11:05 pm
Veteran

The whole problem is that biblical literature is so engraved into our societies that we accept the stories without question. Moses split the Red Sea. Sure, no problem. The Ark of the Covenant can destroy all those who are unworthy. Again people can accept it without question. It is in the Bible, so it must be true.

But then the MacGuffin becomes aliens, an idea that is not yet accepted or engraved into our collective minds and people go crazy calling it unrealistic. If the movie were the same exact movie but replaced with a Biblical artifact, people would have much different reactions. Sounds kind of funny that stuff from thousands of years ago is accepted without question, but then extra terrestrial life becomes too unrealistic.

I thought the movie was very good, very entertaining. Sure it had its problems, it was the same exact problems that plagued the first three movies. People tend to overlook these problems because of the nostalgic value of the first three movies. I'd rate it right behind Raiders and Last Crusade.

1. Raiders A+
2. Last Crusade A
3. Crystal Skull A-
4. Temple of Doom B

Thu May 22, 2008 11:56 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Dam. I take back completely everything I said last night. For advice. If you go to a midnight screening of your most anticipated film of all time. DONT GO HAMMERED. It was like watching a completely different movie. Complete scenes that I dont even remember. It is so much better the next viewing. That initial, ok this is my favorite franchise and I was forcefully trying to love it which didn't happen.

Today, I thought this could easily be my favorite film of this decade because it fucking rocked. Its as good as the franchise and joins the, I can't decide what the best of the series is. They all have perks to them.

Action-Mesmerizing. (That blow dart thing got one of the coolest reactions ever in the theater) Ford still kicked ass. He had awesome chemistry with everyone. All the characters were great. Although Blanchett isn't the best villain (The Nazi General from Last Crusade is very hard to beat) She was great though and actually dam creepy at times.

My only big complaint was Shia's swing which in the end didn't bother me that much. And Karen Allen seemed to smile the entire movie. But she was still a lot of fun. John Williams score which I said I didnt even remember I thought was breathtaking at times and it's a classic from here on.

Dam, this was the feeling I was hoping for and was worried I didnt feel it yesterday, but its here now and Im so pumped. I hope the franchise continues. It'll be interesting to see an Indy with recurring main characters for a change. I agree about the Mushroom cloud/ UFO Indy Sillouhette scenes. Absolutely beautiful.

Raiders of the Lost Ark- A+
Temple Of Doom- A+
Last Crusade- A+
Kingdom of the Crystal Skull A+

=The best franchise ever.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri May 23, 2008 12:11 am
College Boy Z

Thegun wrote:
Dam. I take back completely everything I said last night. For advice. If you go to a midnight screening of your most anticipated film of all time. DONT GO HAMMERED. It was like watching a completely different movie.

If you anticipated the movie so much, why would you go hammered?

Fri May 23, 2008 12:16 am

Oh, anyone else get the Han Solo reference? Theres a lot of little things. Jmart and me had the same feeling. I really recommend to the hardcore fanst to watch it again. We both had that little disappointment. But once you see it again it really feels exactly like the Indy flicks of old. Great humor, the score and the action.

Its so much fun

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Fri May 23, 2008 12:21 am
Stanley Cup

Zingaling wrote:
Thegun wrote:
Dam. I take back completely everything I said last night. For advice. If you go to a midnight screening of your most anticipated film of all time. DONT GO HAMMERED. It was like watching a completely different movie.

my question to u is why not go hammered?

Fri May 23, 2008 12:25 am
Romosexual!

B :|

nothing too exciting. nothing too bad. just an okey film.

Fri May 23, 2008 12:37 am

Zingaling wrote:
Thegun wrote:

A drink turned into a bottle. Also after all the midnight showings I've gone to, I dont think there has been one that ever didnt disappoint me. The only one that I'll say really worked was T3. But Indy was certainly alredy a better film than ther other midnights I saw. After being usually so tired, I thought being liquored would make everything that much better. But it did the complete opposite. It didnt help that brought some with me. It was just too much.

But it made the 2nd viewing completely worth it. It gave me that Awe feeling I havent felt in another movie since the original. I only recently saw Raiders in a theater so I dont know if LC and TOD would have that same effect.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Fri May 23, 2008 12:43 am
Extraordinary

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
Jedi Master Carr wrote:
About the Aliens, they are actually inter dimensional travelers kind of like the characters in Sliders, so really they aren't Aliens. Of course that concept probably confused a lot of people.

Huh? If that ain't aliens, I don't know what is! Perhaps, confused are you, O great Jedi Master...

Aliens are from outer space like E.T. These guys are from parallel worlds like you see in The Golden Compass and the TV Show Sliders. They are basically twisted versions of what humans turned out in that reality.

Fri May 23, 2008 12:58 am
Profile WWW

Jedi Master Carr wrote:
Jedi Master Carr wrote:
About the Aliens, they are actually inter dimensional travelers kind of like the characters in Sliders, so really they aren't Aliens. Of course that concept probably confused a lot of people.

Huh? If that ain't aliens, I don't know what is! Perhaps, confused are you, O great Jedi Master...

Aliens are from outer space like E.T. These guys are from parallel worlds like you see in The Golden Compass and the TV Show Sliders. They are basically twisted versions of what humans turned out in that reality.

Very good point. I noticed you dont see the ship fly away, it merely could have just vanished into a portal.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Fri May 23, 2008 12:59 am
Cream of the Crop

C+ or 6.5/10. It was pretty good except for the very beginning with Lucas' crappy 1950's cliches, the climax/end was ridiculous, and the CGI throughout was awful in my opinion. So damn obvious that they were in front of green screens that it completely took me out of the action on the screen at times. But overall it was definitely entertaining and Ford did a great job as Indy, but it just fell apart at the end for me. I'd rate it similar to Temple of Doom (7/10), whereas I would put Raiders and Last Crusade at a 10/10. If the end hadn't sucked so much (meaning the last 30 minutes of the movie), I probably would have rated it an 8/10.

Fri May 23, 2008 1:04 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

How can you not like the 50s opening with the racer kids? Come on, that was greatness.

Fri May 23, 2008 1:26 am
Superman: The Movie

The Dark Shape wrote:
How can you not like the 50s opening with the racer kids? Come on, that was greatness.

I know you're addressing Red, but I just have to say that the opening and the motorcycle chase (and of course Ford) were probably my favorite things in the film. It sets the mood, the tone and the setting all at once.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri May 23, 2008 1:44 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

The West Side Storyesque fight between the Greasers and the jocks cracked me up. Perfectly placed. I have a feeling this movie is going to continue to grow on me when I see it again.

Fri May 23, 2008 1:48 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Jmart007 wrote:
The Dark Shape wrote:

I know you're addressing Red, but I just have to say that the opening and the motorcycle chase (and of course Ford) were probably my favorite things in the film. It sets the mood, the tone and the setting all at once.

The motorcycle chase was good, but I wasn't a fan of the rest of the obviously Lucas-stamped-and-approved 50's cliches. I thought the very beginning with Indy at the warehouse was great. And I did like the part where he ends up in the nuke testing house and survives by jumping in a fridge! :lol:

Fri May 23, 2008 1:51 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Jedi Master Carr wrote:
Jedi Master Carr wrote:

I see where you're coming from, but I disagree that that doesn't fit in the definition of the term "aliens". It is a needless distillation of the term to focus on only spatial foreigness - - it is suitable for beings from other temporal and dimensional planes as well. (Especially, when they've got such a classic vintage flying saucer!)

Fri May 23, 2008 5:25 am
I just lost the game

Jedi Master Carr wrote:
Jedi Master Carr wrote:

I see where you're coming from, but I disagree that that doesn't fit in the definition of the term "aliens". It is a needless distillation of the term to focus on only spatial foreigness - - it is suitable for beings from other temporal and dimensional planes as well. (Especially, when they've got such a classic vintage flying saucer!)

:yes: :yes:

Fri May 23, 2008 5:33 am
Extraordinary

Question for those participating in the spatial aliens discussion: (this is silly, but whatever)
Were the multiple skeletons all supposed to represent cross-sections of one being (evidenced by the fact that they came together in the end)? For those who don't know what I'm talking about, it's like observing a 3d being from a flat perspective (you only see the outline of whichever infinitesimally thin cross-section is located within your flat land).

Fri May 23, 2008 5:41 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Thegun wrote:
Oh, anyone else get the Han Solo reference? Theres a lot of little things. Jmart and me had the same feeling. I really recommend to the hardcore fanst to watch it again. We both had that little disappointment. But once you see it again it really feels exactly like the Indy flicks of old. Great humor, the score and the action.

Its so much fun

You were disappointed but it was fun??? Not entirely sure how that goes hand in hand.. If your disappointed by it the 1st time you see it, why waste your $$$ in seeing it again???

Fri May 23, 2008 8:43 am
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

Good, solid, entertainment, that's the best way to sum this up. It wasn't anything amazing, but it didn't disappoint in that it is pretty standard adventure fare: outlandish, humorous and just a fun ride from start to finish.

I loved how they didn't try to play down Ford's age at all, really made the film work a little more. The middle was a bit dull and I didn't care too much for the portions of the ending but what can I say? No film can be perfect.

Ford and Labouff have great chemistry, though I thought that Cate Blanchett's "odd" Communist character was a bit too over played.

B+

Fri May 23, 2008 10:15 am
Devil's Advocate

I actually quite loved it. There's a degree of ridiculousness at times (I especially loved how not a single bullet hit in the film, good guys or bad), but that's always kind of been the spirit of Indy. It's just a really fun blockbuster. Tons of charm and character, and great actions scenes throughout.

The jungle chase was my favorite part, that was just awesome. I even enjoyed the vine swinging and goofy CGI monkeys.

Ford's performance is fantastic, he really captures the fun of the character. I also think this is the best I've seen of Shia, it's nice to see him playing someone different than the nerdy kid of Transformers/Disturbia/Even Stevens. This is the first time I've bought that he's on his way to stardom. Blanchett did a fine job, though being maybe the best actress of her generation, it could've been more memorable and legendary, but whatever. I was most disappointed by Ray Winestone, normally a solid bet, I kind of thought he overplayed the slimeball money-grubbing part of his character.

If I have one criticism, it's the climax... The "villain uses the artifact and gets destroyed by it" thing might've been cooler if this wasn't the FOURTH time Lucas has used it (Raiders, Last Crusade, Atlantis PC game, now here). Hell, I don't remember Temple of Doom at all, maybe it happened there too. I also thought the Kingdom itself was a bit slight, I kept expecting them to spend more time in it.

Anyways, great fun. It's not flawless, but then again, neither were the originals. I'm actually surprised I liked this movie as much as I did because Raiders is IMO one of the most overrated movies of the last 30 years, as with most of Spielberg's repetoire. Indy is a wonderful creation, but I'm not as enthused by that film as everyone else.

4.5/5

Fri May 23, 2008 1:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next