Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull 

What grade would you give this film?
A 32%  32%  [ 23 ]
B 47%  47%  [ 34 ]
C 14%  14%  [ 10 ]
D 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
F 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 73

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull 
I just lost the game

Post Re: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
I dug it. I didn't love it, but didn't dislike it. I walked into the theater with pretty blank expectations. I grew up watching Indy, but haven't seen them in years so I forgot most everything that happened. I rented Raiders probably two years ago now and thought it was pretty solid popcorn fluff but nothing that special. So My experience with Indy is shoddy at best (though I still know the series. It's weird...) That said, heres a quick run down:

What worked -
Harrison Ford: The first shot with him in it his age was very apparent. But once he put on the hat, it seriously just disappeared. Two minutes after the credits stop rolling I quickly stopped noticing/caring about his age. He handled the material damn well too.
Shia: I've loved watching him grow as an actor for the past 6 years because he never disappoints. He had great presence next to fucking Indiana Jones.
Um.....it was fun...

What didn't work -
The cheese: "None of them were you". I saw that coming a mile away. "Their treasure was knowledge." :grrr: The bad father/son jokes. The sudden coziness of Indy and his new wife at the end (including the marriage). Shia: King of the Apes, followed by a fucking mass attack of monkeys for NO APPARENT REASON. Lots of unnecessary cheese.
CGI: I noticed since the first footage was released, but I never bothered to say anything because I figured they were still working on the effects. Wrong. It was pretty bad.
Aliens: It kind of worked, but mostly didn't. Harrison Ford is Indiana Jones, not Fox Moulder. At that, though, they handled at alien element fairly well. I just don't think it should have ever been handled to begin with.

Eh. This was a fun movie that requires probably more suspension of belief than should be required, but it's Indiana Jones. I'll let him slide...just this once. I'd recommend seeing it, but I'm in no rush to see it again.

B

EDIT: To the post above ^^ - I think the ark and the skull can't be quite compare din terms of disbelief. One deals with a purely fantastic element, whereas this one definitely has more of a sci-fi element. As I said I think the alien idea was handled well, I just don't think it should have been used. It's not a matter of too far or not, it's a matter of consistency in the series.

Thu May 22, 2008 5:06 am
We had our time together

I loved it and the more I think about it the more I want to see it again. The film is A LOT of fun and great action-sequences. Ford looks his age but he still kicks ass. I had to get used to his more grumpy Indy a few minutes too. The movie could have been slightly funnier but that's a minor complaint. And I had no troubles with the ending, seemed fitting to me. Overall, my (incredible) high expectations were mostly meet.

A

Thu May 22, 2008 5:17 am
Profile WWW
ef star star kay

I have no problem with the ending AT ALL. Although, I'd say it lacked the element of the awe feeling.

My main problem is the action sequences. They are not as thrill or exciting as it should be. Fortunately, they're still fun to watch. And the character of Indiana Jones lived up my expectation. Thanks to Ford.

But that's it..

still B..

Thu May 22, 2008 5:44 am
Golfaholic

Straight cash, homie wrote:
i cant blieve but i am giving this an D. This sucked. Lucass horrible ideas are blantantly everywhere,and spielberg obviously tried to put some quality into it but it as just too damn ridiculous.

Were you sober when you watched it or was it around the same time you posted the "Australia will beat Titanic" thread. By the way: To say Indy rips off The Mummy is laughable

Thu May 22, 2008 6:31 am
Extraordinary

loyalfromlondon wrote:
The Dark Shape wrote:
I still laugh when someone thinks an apocalyptic Ark of the Covenent, heart-removing magic, and eternal life-granting Grail are real, but aliens are too far.

I plan on seeing it later tonight if I get back from the Quinault Rain Forest in time...

But I still think there's a world of difference, tonally at least, between those three Mcguffins and aliens.

My biggest worry is that I'll come out of the theatre thinking "Lucas and Spielberg waited and fought for 20 years and finally came up with this?"

How bad exactly was Darabont's idea? Ford liked it, Spielberg liked it. Maybe it didnt have enough CGI monkeys for Lucas.

There were definitely enough CGI monkeys, even for Lucas.

Thu May 22, 2008 7:56 am
Golfaholic

loyalfromlondon wrote:
My biggest worry is that I'll come out of the theatre thinking "Lucas and Spielberg waited and fought for 20 years and finally came up with this?"

Exactly what my reaction was. I feel cheated because there could have been easily three more Indys in that time span

Thu May 22, 2008 9:30 am
Superfreak

Levy wrote:
Straight cash, homie wrote:
i cant blieve but i am giving this an D. This sucked. Lucass horrible ideas are blantantly everywhere,and spielberg obviously tried to put some quality into it but it as just too damn ridiculous.

Were you sober when you watched it or was it around the same time you posted the "Australia will beat Titanic" thread. By the way: To say Indy rips off The Mummy is laughable

Yes I was sober and the ending was exactly what happened in the final mummy; right down the "old friend who backstabs you is left to die in self destructing place cause he looking for treasure"

Thu May 22, 2008 10:54 am
Extraordinary

loyalfromlondon wrote:
How bad exactly was Darabont's idea? Ford liked it, Spielberg liked it. Maybe it didnt have enough CGI monkeys for Lucas.

Darabont's draft was the exact same concept, aliens and all.

Thu May 22, 2008 11:29 am
On autopilot for the summer

I'm more then confident now that there will be a fifth, now. I was really hammered when I wrote my review. From a marketing perspective, the hardcore fans, like here will be disappointed slightly but not jaded. They like the movie and will see another. This really just shows Indy is back and Lucas and Spielberg were holding back for another.

Seeing it again today. Thinking about it in a clear state Im digging it more already.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu May 22, 2008 11:31 am
Vagina Qwertyuiop

I liked it a lot. Thought Ford was spott on as Indy, liked Shia as Mutt (I'd even go so far as to say he was my... *gulp*... favourite thing about it - vine swinging and all), and thought Blanchett made a pretty good villain. I even thought the skull worked as a macguffin and had no problem with the ending at all. It fit the tone of the film, and was pretty awe-inspiring to boot.

If I were to pick holes in it, some of it felt and looked a little too soundstage-y at times, and the lighting and mood didn't exactly match up to the Indys of old a lot of the time. Also, Karen Allen felt extraneous for pretty much her entire screen time, and John Hurt's rambling Oxley got on my nerves a bit as well. In fact, on the whole, I much preferred the movie when it was just Mutt and Indy verbally sparring and raiding tombs.

On whole, not as good as Doom or Raiders, better than Last Crusade.

B+

Thu May 22, 2008 2:14 pm
Extraordinary

Highlight of the year is pushing it but there was a lot to like. While he may have cracked the whip with a little less resolution Ford still had that Indy charm and the interplay between the protagonists (and Spalko - another great performance from Blanchet) was fun to watch. The highlight was no doubt the jungle car chase (Shia as Tarzan cracked me up!), masterly staged and executed, with a lot of crazy stunts going on. I would have wished for more locations, the soundtrack could have done with a tad less cheese and the resolution with the aliens was perhaps a little bit too out there and sci-fi-ish but otherwise an enjoyable romp. 8/10

Last edited by Nazgul9 on Thu May 22, 2008 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 22, 2008 2:25 pm
George A. Romero

The Dark Shape wrote:
I still laugh when someone thinks an apocalyptic Ark of the Covenent, heart-removing magic, and eternal life-granting Grail are real, but aliens are too far.

Exactly. I just find it hilarious that some people are complaining that the alien concept is way too far-fetched, and that Kingdom is way too far over the top, but are perfectly fine with biblical spirits flying out of an ark and killing nazis/melting faces, voodoo rituals that allow a person to live after their heart is ripped out/magical blood that can turn a person into a thugee cultist zombie, and a magical biblical cup that gives eternal life that is guarded by a 700 year old knight/a false magical biblical cup that makes the drinker age rapidly and die in about 10 seconds. Come on people, give me a freaking break. Indy movies have ALWAYS been over the top and far-fetched. Yes, i have my nitpicks about Kingdom too (Shia swinging on vines with monkeys), but it's no more ridiculous than the previous 3 movies. It wasn't quite as good in my opinion, but it is still one heck of a fun adventure movie.

B/B+

Thu May 22, 2008 3:53 pm
Extraordinary

I loved it, sure, not on Par with raiders or TLC but very near it IMO and much better than TOD imo.
I didnt have a problem with the aliens, its indiana jones, the plot is supposed to be ridiculous, just like the other 3, its about fun and thats what it delivers.
Ford is still the man, my favorite action piece was the jungle chase, but the Area 51 bit was almost as good. I liked that it didnt have a This is the final one ending, Indy took his hat as if to say im still loving this shit and more adventure awaits, and he's good enough for atleast 1 more.

A-

Thu May 22, 2008 4:09 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

The Dark Shape wrote:

Not too far, that would be the wrong word. It's just different. One is sci-fi, other is more of a fantasy/fairy tale/mythical thing.

Thu May 22, 2008 4:10 pm
Profile WWW

This one is also a homeage to the 1950s, where as the others were homage to the 1930s. 50s was all about the sci-fi!

Thu May 22, 2008 4:52 pm
Extraordinary

Just wanted to add, i Loved the shots of Indy looking at the mushroom cloud and when he's looking at the UFO, those were stunning.

Thu May 22, 2008 4:56 pm
Profile WWW

The mushroom cloud shot is maybe one of the best shots in the series's history, next to only possibly the sunset digging shot in Raiders

Thu May 22, 2008 5:38 pm
Begging Naked

`That was BADASS. And yes, I genuinely believe it.

I do worry about a second viewing though, because I'm not sure how much of that fun was simply the exhileration of a new Indiana Jones adventure, or real, truly awesome fun. I am reminded of when I watched At World's End last year, going in with mixed/worried expectrations and walking out blown away as everyone once seemed indifferent. But yeah, I loved it. Better than Temple of Doom and possibly even on par with Last Crusade.

I think that if I had ANY problem with the film (I am shocked at how much I enjoyed - I even liked Shia!), it would probably be that it relied too much on CGI, killing a bit of the old-time movie mood. The CGI prairie hogs at the beginning were particularly embaressing. Did it really cost less than simply getting a puppet stand-in?

However, once I get past that, I just had a blast. The action sequences, the humor, the squirmies (The ants were over-the-top, but just barely in the right way). I loved it. :thumbsup:

Thu May 22, 2008 5:41 pm
Profile WWW
King Albert!

Awesome movie.

This is a great old fashioned ride. The lighting was was so 50's, yet, a perfect match for this movie. This movie had a great sense of humor, thanks to the intentionally silly B-movie dialogue done with wit, especially from Indy. I like how this movie never took itself seriously, which is where Temple of Doom went wrong. The one's who don't like it are the ones obsessed with the new technology with their PS3's and Wii, and curse out the Atari, which is old fashioned, but nostagic fun.

Grade - A.

Thu May 22, 2008 6:28 pm
Profile WWW
George A. Romero

Just saw it a second time and liked it even more, although i still hated the shia swinging with the monkeys scene. My grade is raised from a B/B+ to a solid B+

Thu May 22, 2008 7:34 pm
Extraordinary

Terminator1997 wrote:
...i still hated the shia swinging with the monkeys scene.

It's too bad that had to come so near the end - - it really brought me down - - it was so out of place and unrealistic - - faster than a speeding truck - - and I'm all for suspension of disbelief and comic exaggeration - - but that one scene was too much and ruined the tone of the movie right at the end...

:mad:

Thu May 22, 2008 7:50 pm
Extraordinary

I give it a B+ I liked it better than Temple of doom but it isn't as good as the other two films. About the Aliens, they are actually inter dimensional travelers kind of like the characters in Sliders, so really they aren't Aliens. Of course that concept probably confused a lot of people.

Thu May 22, 2008 7:50 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Jedi Master Carr wrote:
About the Aliens, they are actually inter dimensional travelers kind of like the characters in Sliders, so really they aren't Aliens. Of course that concept probably confused a lot of people.

Huh? If that ain't aliens, I don't know what is! Perhaps, confused are you, O great Jedi Master...

Thu May 22, 2008 7:53 pm
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

About a B. Not the classic that the last 3 Indys were. I guess my problem is it wasnt as "adventerous" and that the humor wasnt as plentiful as before

Thu May 22, 2008 8:58 pm
You must have big rats

Dark Shap, since you seem to ave a lot of info on all this.....has there ever been an entirely different concept floating around at any moment? I remember Shyamalan was even involved at some point...

Thu May 22, 2008 9:51 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next