Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 My Summer of Love 

What grade would you give this film?
A 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
B 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

My Summer of Love 
College Boy Z

Post My Summer of Love
My Summer of Love

Quote:
My Summer of Love is a 2004 British drama film directed by Pawel Pawlikowski and co-written by Pawel Pawlikowski and Michael Wynne. Based on a novel by Helen Cross, the film explores the relationship between two young women from different classes and backgrounds. Working class Mona (Press), whose once-hotheaded brother (Considine) became a born again Christian in prison, meets upper middle class Tamsin (Blunt) who suffers from a lack of love in her family. Filmed in West-Yorkshire, the film went on to win a BAFTA.

Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:45 pm
Extraordinary

http://www.worldofkj.com/reviews/Galia/ ... oflove.php

One of only two films I gave an A to last year. Excellent movie, and treat despite its dark content.

Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:47 pm
Kypade

I think it's one of the best films on friendship of the last year or so (save anything better that i've undoubtedly forgotten).

But that's about it...just a solid "found friend when needed friend".

And it kinda fell apart towards the end.

But gud enough.

Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:05 pm
We had our time together

Post Re: My Summer of Love
I expected a lot more after some of the praise it got. While Blunt and the other girl were pretty solid I didn't liked it at all. D+

Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:56 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

{Here's my original review from July 2005 from a hidden thread in the obscure F&I sub-forum:

My Summer of Love: Holy Hot Les-be-friends!

Those darn Brits seem to persist in turning out really quality drama on a regular basis. My Summer of Love is no exception. If you'd asked me yesterday, whether I thought there'd be a better UK movie than Dear Frankie released in 2005, I would've seriously doubted it. And having just seen Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants yesterday, I seem to have miraculously landed in a special land of awesome girlpower movies - mind you Nathalie Press and Emily Blunt are a wee bit more grown-up than the sisterhood...

Yup, when they say "my summer of love", it's actually short for "my summer of hot teenage lesbian love"...

The two lead actresses are perfectly cast and are so natural (not to mention au naturel on occasion...), that they carry the story of their summer straight into your heart. Supporting them is Paddy Constantine (so great in In America a couple years back) as Mona's born-again older brother. The story is a really spirited, subversive, and cynical exploration of love, obsession, and faith - a story that you'll be continuously surprised with right through to the very end. The director, Pawel Pawlikowski has a true sense of style - he'll be one to keep an eye on down the road...

Must be my lucky week, cause this is another great movie I've gotta rate:

5 out of 5.

Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:06 pm
A very honest-hearted fellow

Emily Blunt was hot and the movie was short. Other than the lie about Sadie and the destruction of the brother, I liked the movie. As some have noted, it was not nearly as great as some have proclaimed.

B.

Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:43 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

I thought it was pretty great. Wonderful cinematography, music, performances, etc... Emily Blunt is great here, as usual.

8/10 (B+)

Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:21 am
You must have big rats

B+

My Summer of Love is a very solid piece of filmmaking, only somewhat tarnished by what I thought to be a somewhat unsatisfying ending. Despite its short running time of under 90 minutes the movie manages to touch upon several issues and deal with them more or less appropriately. My Summer of Love is actually less about love than it might make you assume judging by its title. Much moreso, it's a film about obsession, friendship, short-lived infatuations, loneliness, lies and religion. Not bad for a pretty short low-budget flick, I'd say.

As I said, most of the issues are well-done. I bought the friendship between Tasmin and Mona, even moreso than their subsequent relationship which I'd really call more of an infatuation/obsession than actually being in love. Emily Blunt and Natalie Press both did excellent jobs and had good chemistry with one another. It's kinda sad to see that one of them went on to have a big Hollywood career, while the other still remained pretty much an unknown. Not only did I like their play, though, but I also enjoyed these deeply flawed characters who both had major issues. However, aside from them, I also very much enjoyed Paddy Considine. In fact, to me his character was actually the most interesting of the bunch. The scene towards the end in which he can't restrain himself anymore and throws his Bible Group out is probably the single best scene of the movie. I also loved the scene between him and Tamsin towards the end of the film. I really liked how his film dealt with his character. Despite the limited screentime, he never comes across as some one-dimensional cliché, but rather as a developed and touching character. I loved the scenes between him and Mona.

However, as mentioned above, I was kind of let down by the ending. I don't mean the "twist" which was actually pretty good. I think that had Mona actually ended up killing Tasmin, it would have been a more fitting conclusion. Not that she would have deserved t, but it actually seemed more consequential to me and the film's version felt like a slight cop-out. It just kinda ended without a real conclusion. I suppose that should symbolize the ephemerality of a summer love, but it didn't work for me and ended the film on a more mellow note than it deserved.

That said, I'm sure this one will benefit from repeat viewings as there's a lot to catch on regarding Tamsin's lies. I hope I'll find time to rewatch this in near future.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:10 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]