Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 Surprise: Bourne is coming back 
Forum General

Post Re: Surprise: Bourne is coming back
Magnus wrote:
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=42307

Guess Universal threw way too much money at Damon/Greengrass for them to say no.

Expected. Only problem is that in the last movie, they said he was de-programmed so he isn't Bourne anymore. But that will probably just be ignored in the next movie.

Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:21 pm
You must have big rats

Yeah, quite expected. It's one of the biggest hits of 2007 if you consider all things. The WoM was tremendous.

Its overseas gross BY FAAAR exceeded the previous intstallments.

It will finish with $70+ million in rentals and with close to 8 million sold DVD units (beating Spider-Man 3 for instance)

All that indicates quite good WoM. All things considered, another sequel that is equally good more or less and with the same team would open to $75+ million for sure and probably pass $240 million in total.

Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:24 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

It's a no-brainer in fiscal sense, and it's guaranteed to be huge.

I thought Ultimatum was the best of the series, and it had a GREAT ending... So great that I hope they wouldn't make another one.

Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:33 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Tuukka wrote:
It's a no-brainer in fiscal sense, and it's guaranteed to be huge.

I thought Ultimatum was the best of the series, and it had a GREAT ending... So great that I hope they wouldn't make another one.

I agree. I only wish they didn't have him swim away at the end which would have better raised the question of whether he was dead or alive. But as soon as he swam away, I told my girl, he was swimming towards the next picture.

Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:38 pm
Vagina Qwertyuiop

I kinda liked that the idea of Bourne Ultimatum being the last film. That said, I enjoyed it immensely (thanks mainly to the reduced shaky-cam that blighted the rubbish second one), so I'll happily sit through another.

Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:52 pm
Forum General

Magnus wrote:
I just hope people know that "surprise" was meant to be a sarcastic statement.

I knew what you meant and I thought the same thing. Good Call.

Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:10 pm
Stanley Cup

though i'm glad that there will be a fourth i'm also bummed because I thought ultimatum was the perfect way to end the series. Maybe the 4th will involve more the book storyline and introduce carlos and the assassin vs. assassin.

Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:11 pm
Forum General

Great but it becomes very boring to keep seeing the same franchise again and again. All franchises should stop at 3rd movie especially these type of movies that don't have a lot of story left to tell.

Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:12 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

A possible story line: He said that the girl had to run so I assume that the 4th movie will partly involve him saving the girl and then of course going up the ladder and getting the ones that are still on his track.

Anyway, I lost count but hasn't he killed all of the top dogs involved in the case.

Maybe they will turn Joan Allen bad which would be a horrible story line but I just don't want another bad guy. But how can their be a 4th movie without a bad guy from his past?

Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:21 pm
Killing With Kindness

with a 2010 release date i will be expecting a 90m+ opening wknd.

Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:25 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

Jim Halpert wrote:
though i'm glad that there will be a fourth i'm also bummed because I thought ultimatum was the perfect way to end the series. Maybe the 4th will involve more the book storyline and introduce carlos and the assassin vs. assassin.

Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:37 pm
The Greatest Avenger EVER

LadiesMan217 wrote:
Great but it becomes very boring to keep seeing the same franchise again and again. All franchises should stop at 3rd movie especially these type of movies that don't have a lot of story left to tell.

Next month, there releasing the next BOURNE Novel titled "The BOURNE BETRAYAL" Penned from another author the late Robert Ludlum approved of.. The BOURNE Series clearly is better than the new BOND Franchise in terms of being more realistic and will be another hit at the box office..

Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:34 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Jim Halpert wrote:

That would be good as I didn't realize how big Carlos was in the Bourne books. Also, I wondering if the girl will be around as a love interest or a friend.

Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:07 pm
What would Jesus *not* do?

What sets the Bourne series apart from other franchises is that it is rooted in at least some sense of plausibility. I mean you wouldn't have to strecth the imagination to far to accept that this could actually be a real person somewhere. Other franchises such as Bond, Batman, Spiderman ect., require you to suspend almost all sense of reality and except that these characters live in a fantasy world. Thus the story arcs of these films have to get more and more fancifull as the series go on in order to get people to keep coming back. The Bourne series at least deals with a plausible real person and its story lines are set in modern times and pit him against plausibly real people, so the audience can relate to the character more easily and the story lines don't have to get to eleborate and complex.
If they are able to maintain the same level of quality as the first three, I can see this franchise lasting a little while longer. The story line possibilities for the fourth installment ar pretty much wide open. But given the way the last one ended I can see him emerging from the river downstream, grabbing a change of clothes and catching a newscast showing Nikki as wanted fugitive, triggering more repressed memeories of them together in the past and going off to protect her, all the while thwarting the government along the way.

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:21 pm
Draughty

I thought Bourne became very implausible in this last installment. He was falling off multi story building in a car and getting out like it was nothing, involved in big car accidents and again no big deal to him, and stuff like that.

Bourne Identity was good fun and one of the best, maybe the best, action movie of the decade, but the sequels haven't been up to par and I'm not looking for more.

Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:56 pm
Profile WWW
He didn't look busy?!

Each one has been better than the last, so I'm not complaining at all.

80/245 presuming it maintains the quality of its predecessors.

Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:47 pm
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

Archie Gates wrote:
I thought Bourne became very implausible in this last installment. He was falling off multi story building in a car and getting out like it was nothing, involved in big car accidents and again no big deal to him, and stuff like that.

Bourne Identity was good fun and one of the best, maybe the best, action movie of the decade, but the sequels haven't been up to par and I'm not looking for more.

the sequels owned in everything but the car chase scenes, damn it was awesome in the first film.

Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:48 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Archie Gates wrote:

Well, the chairway stunt at the end of Identity was just as implausible as the stunts in later movies. If anyone would do that for real, they would at least break several bones, probably die.

Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:34 am
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

If they maintain the quality then I'm all in, but Ultimatum was an effective ending to the series.

Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:40 am
invading your spaces

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

I mean with Damon and Greengrass I'm not afraid but... ugh, it just should have ended and remained (IMO) perfect.

Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:39 pm
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

To me the second sequel wasnt all that great but overall its an awesome franchise. So, ill see it.

Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:19 pm
Veteran

BU still remains the best one and my favourite one, so It'll be hard for this one to top it. It should be good still though.

Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:29 pm
Golfaholic

Thank god. This franchise is currently by far the best one.

Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:54 am
Forum General

the last borne was easily the years best blockbuster.

Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:28 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]