Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 423 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 HEATH LEDGER JUST DIED 
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Post Re: HEATH LEDGER JUST DIED
Maverikk wrote:
redfirebird2008 wrote:
No offense, but I think it's kind of snobbish of you to say that he's NOT showing off his talent in The Dark Knight. Never mind the make up, the PERSONALITY is incredible. The way he talks, walks, and acts is simply perfect. Even if you don't like Batman or the Joker, you have to at least recognize that his talent is on full display with the Joker role. He completely disappeared into it, which is not easily said about plenty of other high profile actors out there. The "it's not my type of film" excuse is a shitty one for dismissing someone's acting. If that was the case, I would dismiss every other role by Ledger because none of his previous roles were "my kind of film." But I've watched his movies and I appreciate his acting ability. I guess I'm saying that you shouldn't let your pre-determined dislike of Batman movies cloud your judgment of his performance. While you may not like it, the rest of society will remember him both in Brokeback AND The Dark Knight. TDK will be an iconic role for him and was going to be one regardless of the unfortunate circumstances.

You are projecting YOUR opinion, and you haven't even seen the fucking movie, so how about if you quit telling everybody else how brilliant his Joker is and how everybody will put him up on a pedastal. Number one, he doesn't even look like the Joker. Number two, Jack Nicholson, Heath Ledger aint. There's a reason that Jack is Jack.

I got the feeling from your last post that you were nothing but an idiot, and this post just confirmed that notion.

Hey Mav.. How goes it?? And yeah, you do raise a good point about people not even seeing the movie yet and saying how brilliant he is, but in the end, he'll be given a pass and not critiqued failrly cause of his death..

Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:14 am
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Some of you casting judgment on others for feeling sad about Heath's untimely death is a little much. No, none of us knew the guy personally. Doesn't mean that his movie roles didn't impact some of us in some way. Unfortunately for me, I only saw him in one movie: Brokeback Mountain. But, it was a strong enough performance that I know he was a top-of-the-list actor in a time where young actors are a dime a dozen, with little talent found in any of them. Or, little LASTING talent, I should say.

I don't think it's necessarily healthier to feel "Oh, well, too bad" when a celebrity dies and move on. If you felt a connection through someone, even if it was through a movie role (or various movie roles), it should be natural to feel sad when that someone dies, especially at a young age. Even if you didn't know much of Heath's work (like me)!, it still should be completely natural to feel sad about it. Just being a human being and thinking about his daughter would make someone feel bad, and that should be natural.

But I'm not saying it's unnatural to feel apathetic either. Just trying to add some two cents worth.

To be perfectly honest, when I read about it through this thread, I was shocked. But I didn't feel too broken up about it. It wasn't until the night progressed that I felt like it was a loss. Maybe because it appeared accidental (is it still appearing that way? I didn't read any new news). I don't know. For whatever reason, I felt bad about it later on after I had heard about it, and I still feel bad about it today.

Edit: In a nutshell, feel what you want about Heath Ledger. But I don't think it's right to cast judgment on others if they feel sad about it. Maybe it's not right of me to cast judgment on those who DON'T feel sad about it. That's why I don't do this serious stuff much anymore. :wacko:

Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:36 am
i break the rules, so i don't care

i'm gonna weigh in on the death. how can u accidently take too many sleeping pills???

I'll be looking forward to the autopsy report.

even if this is suicide, its still damn depressing anyway.

Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:42 am
New Server, Same X

getluv wrote:
i'm gonna weigh in on the death. how can u accidently take too many sleeping pills???

I was going to ask that yesterday, but thought I would be laughed at. I know when I take a Tylenol for a headache, I don't even consider taking more than the recommended 1-2. Cause I don't know what may happen.

My guess, if it was accidental: maybe he took a fatal amount over a short period of time, maybe even unknowingly (could've been loopy from the sleeping pills), but not necessarily all at the same time.

Is that possible? :unsure:

Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:46 am
Commander and Chef

another stupid opinionated fight from most of you about whose better than who, what you personally feel and how the other is an idiot for thinking otherwise is getting a warning.

You all know who you are. If you pretend not to, you're being an ass.

Thats the last I want to hear of this.

Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:48 am
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

bABA wrote:
another stupid opinionated fight from most of you about whose better than who, what you personally feel and how the other is an idiot for thinking otherwise is getting a warning.

For the record, I didn't hint that the other side was an idiot. In fact, I questioned whether they were really right. But then that also violates what you said, so. I'm wrong in either argument.

Sorry about that.

Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:52 am
Commander and Chef

X-Man wrote:
bABA wrote:

For the record, I didn't hint that the other side was an idiot. In fact, I questioned whether they were really right. But then that also violates what you said, so. I'm wrong in either argument.

Sorry about that.

I recall saying that thats the last i want to hear of it. stop explaining yourself.

Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:54 am
Profile WWW
i break the rules, so i don't care

X-Man wrote:
getluv wrote:

I was going to ask that yesterday, but thought I would be laughed at. I know when I take a Tylenol for a headache, I don't even consider taking more than the recommended 1-2. Cause I don't know what may happen.

My guess, if it was accidental: maybe he took a fatal amount over a short period of time, maybe even unknowingly (could've been loopy from the sleeping pills), but not necessarily all at the same time.

Is that possible? :unsure:

when people die some people like to know why and question things? especially celebrities. i think its perfectly normal, i think enough time has passed to start to question the death and i'm only bringing it up because my friend brought up tonight.

i don't know. he looked very troubled from what i've been reading (which could be lies, but his TV interviews are something else)

this is the interview that he got in trouble for a few years ago when promoting Lords of Dogtown:

Last edited by getluv on Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:56 am
We had our time together

I'm undescribable shocked. Really, no celebrity death has ever affected me like this. I mean, I know this guy since I was 12.. this is just sad. I couldn't believe it when I read it in the paper today but then it was on everywhere on the radio and my sister wrote me a message.

I thought he was a great actor, saw pretty much all of his movies.

Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:13 am
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Magnus wrote:
Box wrote:
And that Ledger has been with us for years now, almost a decade in fact, so that many of us grew up with him. We saw him develop as an actor, and he seemed to be on the verge of major stardom, with much success ahead of him.

We become, whether we realize it or not, invested in the fate of many celebrities because they and their films mean something to us.

I think a reason why a lot of us in the same age-group are reacting like this to him is because we have known him for so long. I mean, he may have had a limited filmograophy, but I have seen basically all of his films at or around the time they were release. He was an actor attached to my generation.

That's what I meant. Agree completely.

Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:44 am
Profile WWW
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
Riggs, du bist ein affektierter Spinner mit Zierfisch-Naivität.

Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:50 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Maverikk wrote:
redfirebird2008 wrote:
No offense, but I think it's kind of snobbish of you to say that he's NOT showing off his talent in The Dark Knight. Never mind the make up, the PERSONALITY is incredible. The way he talks, walks, and acts is simply perfect. Even if you don't like Batman or the Joker, you have to at least recognize that his talent is on full display with the Joker role. He completely disappeared into it, which is not easily said about plenty of other high profile actors out there. The "it's not my type of film" excuse is a shitty one for dismissing someone's acting. If that was the case, I would dismiss every other role by Ledger because none of his previous roles were "my kind of film." But I've watched his movies and I appreciate his acting ability. I guess I'm saying that you shouldn't let your pre-determined dislike of Batman movies cloud your judgment of his performance. While you may not like it, the rest of society will remember him both in Brokeback AND The Dark Knight. TDK will be an iconic role for him and was going to be one regardless of the unfortunate circumstances.

You are projecting YOUR opinion, and you haven't even seen the fucking movie, so how about if you quit telling everybody else how brilliant his Joker is and how everybody will put him up on a pedastal. Number one, he doesn't even look like the Joker. Number two, Jack Nicholson, Heath Ledger aint. There's a reason that Jack is Jack.

I got the feeling from your last post that you were nothing but an idiot, and this post just confirmed that notion.

OK, since you feel like flame-baiting me, I guess I'll bite. My post above never mentions Jack Nicholson, so why the hell are you bringing him up in reference to my most recent post? Second of all, the other guy was projecting HIS opinion on the rest of us by saying "Batman's not my type of movie" yada yada yada. I hate pretentious crap like that. That's like writing something off without even seeing it, which is exactly what you ALSO seem to be doing with Heath Ledger's Joker performance. You accuse me of projecting my opinion based on a movie I haven't seen, yet then you turn around and do the exact same fucking thing? If I'm an idiot, you're just as much an idiot and a fucking hypocrite to boot. Your closed-minded, "Jack is the best and always will be the best, period" stance is NO BETTER than my stance that Ledger is poised to put up a great performance in his own right. I fucking grew up watching Batman (I've watched it well over 500 times) and I love it, but it is far from Jack's best performance. He's arguably the greatest actor to ever live, but that isn't his best effort.

Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:10 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Quote:
An autopsy on actor Heath Ledger was inconclusive, and a cause-of-death determination will take about 10 days, a medical examiner's spokeswoman said today. Ledger was found dead Tuesday in a Lower Manhattan apartment, the New York Police Department said.

Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:19 am
Commander and Chef

redfirebird2008 wrote:
Maverikk wrote:
redfirebird2008 wrote:

OK, since you feel like flame-baiting me, I guess I'll bite. My post above never mentions Jack Nicholson, so why the hell are you bringing him up in reference to my most recent post? Second of all, the other guy was projecting HIS opinion on the rest of us by saying "Batman's not my type of movie" yada yada yada. I hate pretentious crap like that. That's like writing something off without even seeing it, which is exactly what you ALSO seem to be doing with Heath Ledger's Joker performance. You accuse me of projecting my opinion based on a movie I haven't seen, yet then you turn around and do the exact same fucking thing? If I'm an idiot, you're just as much an idiot and a fucking hypocrite to boot. Your closed-minded, "Jack is the best and always will be the best, period" stance is NO BETTER than my stance that Ledger is poised to put up a great performance in his own right. I fucking grew up watching Batman (I've watched it well over 500 times) and I love it, but it is far from Jack's best performance. He's arguably the greatest actor to ever live, but that isn't his best effort.

Warned

Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:20 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

HOLY SHIT!!!.................... TDK are just about to comes out. anyway my heart goes out to his family.

Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:00 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Wallflower

For the record, I wasn't saying that I don't think Heath will give a good performance in TDK. I think he'll give a great one. But I just wish his last role were one where he wasn't hidden behind makeup. He looks scary in it. I'd rather his last role not be one of a villain. But it is, and I still really want to see it. I hope his performance will score an Oscar nomination. If it does, I'm sure he'll win. I know it's not right to give a sympathy vote, but you know everyone would, and I would too if I were them. I'd be disappointed if they didn't.

Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:29 pm
Cream of the Crop

Mike wrote:
For the record, I wasn't saying that I don't think Heath will give a good performance in TDK. I think he'll give a great one. But I just wish his last role were one where he wasn't hidden behind makeup. He looks scary in it. I'd rather his last role not be one of a villain. But it is, and I still really want to see it. I hope his performance will score an Oscar nomination. If it does, I'm sure he'll win. I know it's not right to give a sympathy vote, but you know everyone would, and I would too if I were them. I'd be disappointed if they didn't.

Ah, thanks for clarifying. I can certainly understand where you're coming from in wanting his last role to be one where he's recognizable. This whole thing is just awful. Total nightmare for his family, friends, and fans. :(

Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:37 pm
Profile WWW
Orphan

10 Things I Hate About You is the 7th bestselling DVD on Amazon right now.

A Knight's Tale is 12th, Brokeback 16th, Candy 28th, Casanova 33rd, Roar 34th, Ned Kelly 64th, The Patriot 77th, The Brothers Grimm 80th, The Order 92nd.

Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:19 pm
---------

Kinda unbelievable, almost as shocking as the Croc Hunter's death. I just hope people won't connect his deathly creepy performance in Dark Knight to how he really is in real life.

Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:29 pm
Orphan

BOM

Most Popular People @ BOM:

Tuesday, January 22, 2008
Rank / Chng Person (click to view) Saturation
1 0 J.J. Abrams 4.15%
2 0 Will Smith 3.55%
3 +212 Heath Ledger 3.54%

Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:03 pm
Extraordinary

I like how Mav gets on someone for coming to a conclusion on a performance yet earlier in this thread he said there's no way Ledger's performance can top Nicholson. Already proving whatever thoughts you have on the performance and the film are biased.

Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:08 pm
Extraordinary

loyalfromlondon wrote:
sigh

Quote:
TMZ has confirmed with NYPD sources in the Heath Ledger investigation that cops found a $20 bill rolled up "in a certain way" with a powdered substance on it. Our sources say they don't know what the nature of the powder is, but it's being tested at the police lab.

CBS 2 in NYC is reporting cops found drug packets along with the $20 bill in Ledger's apartment.

Our sources say the manner in which the bill was rolled made them "suspicious."

So he got high on cocain and downed some sleeping pills?

Not to be insensitive, but if that was the case then he was asking for it, talk about a deadly combination.

Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:09 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

loyalfromlondon wrote:
sigh

Quote:
TMZ has confirmed with NYPD sources in the Heath Ledger investigation that cops found a $20 bill rolled up "in a certain way" with a powdered substance on it. Our sources say they don't know what the nature of the powder is, but it's being tested at the police lab.

CBS 2 in NYC is reporting cops found drug packets along with the $20 bill in Ledger's apartment.

Our sources say the manner in which the bill was rolled made them "suspicious."

Of course, TMZ also confirmed with sources that it was Mary Kate's apartment, so I hope this is just another misunderstanding. But it would explain things.

Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:15 pm
Extraordinary

loyalfromlondon wrote:
speaking of Jack Nicholson, he's hardcore.

http://www.tmz.com/2008/01/23/jack-on-h ... arned-him/

Jack should know, many of his hollywood friends have died the same way.
Man, the papashitties really are cold bastards.

Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:47 pm
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

El Pollo Loco wrote:
I like how Mav gets on someone for coming to a conclusion on a performance yet earlier in this thread he said there's no way Ledger's performance can top Nicholson. Already proving whatever thoughts you have on the performance and the film are biased.

quit it.

Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:50 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 423 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next