Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Golden Compass cost 250 million!?! 
Where will you be?

Post The Golden Compass cost 250 million!?!
http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=news&id=12736

So says Devin Faraci, who interviewed Sam Elliot and the director. That would put it right below Spider-Man 3/Pirates 3 as the third most expensive movie ever, a record that's changing at a really alarming rate these days. So what are the odds this thing makes that back domestically? More importantly, what do you guys think needs to happen for New Line to move forward with installments 2 and 3?

Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:38 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

Post Re: The Golden Compass cost 250 million!?!
$250m is way too high for a film like this. It certainly wont make that much domestically - but should top $350-$400m worldwide. Its saving grace is that it has better potential overseas than National Treasure which will be the domestic champ.

But $250m is way too risky. It will pay off in the long run - but ROI wont be anthing to shout about. Infact theres a very good chance it wont break even theatrically. Its an odd (perhaps desperate) business decsion. You spend $250m on mega $800m+ franchises - not untested first films. Didnt the whole LOTR trilogy cost that much in total?

I guess they better hope for atleast $200m domestically in order for it to make business sense to spend another $200m+ on each sequel.

I think $150m+ will guarantee the sequels are made (with a reduced budget or back to back).

$100-$150m will probably result in a sequel but at a much lower budget. Huge OS BO will help offcourse.

Under $100m would mean no seauel unless its huge overseas and/or DVD sales are strong.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:59 am
Indiana Jones IV

Yeah, I mentioned this in the other thread. It's a pretty shocking figure.

From what I've seen, it certainly doesn't LOOK like a 250 million dollar movie...which is troublesome.

Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:19 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

That's incredibly shocking. I thought it cost maybe $100 million and that's pushing it.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:12 am
Profile YIM WWW
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Should've been $150 million tops. That's way too much to stake on a film like this. His Dark Materials is no LOTR, Narnia or Potter.

Business might be good enough overseas to help it break even, but I don't see it crossing $200 in the states.

Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:06 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Exactly, this is more on the level of Eragon from a brand name perspective. It's "kinda" known, certainly not a slam dunk by any means.

250 is just crazy for this, although par for the course at New Line these days. What would the sequels cost? 300? 350? Minimum?

Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:22 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

it will be refreshing having a year where the biggest budget is under 200 million next summer.

Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:24 pm
Indiana Jones IV

I recall it was originally budgeted at 150 million.

I guess the major late changes they made added some of that extra money.

BTW, they have already finished the first 15-20 minutes or so for the next film... Those were supposed to be at the end of this film. So maybe they will be able to make the next film cheaper, if this does well.

Anyway, this film has CGI animals in practically every scene, usually several of them. So that must have a cost a lot of money.

Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:37 pm
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

Am I the only person excited about such a robust budget :D I think Im going to watch the film on saturday fo sho :thumbsup:

Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:48 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I still think that is wrong. I read on another article that figure is a typo and it is actually 150. Mojo has it listed at 150, and the article I read is on Rotten Tomatoes.

Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:07 pm
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

Jedi Master Carr wrote:
I still think that is wrong. I read on another article that figure is a typo and it is actually 150. Mojo has it listed at 150, and the article I read is on Rotten Tomatoes.

bleh, 250m bloody rocks, the film is going to be spidey 3 only it will be fuckin awesome this time :happy:

Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:17 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I don't think it is 250 BJ. 150 makes more sense, since the film is more on the level of the Potter films and their budgets are only at 150.

Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:20 pm
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

Jedi Master Carr wrote:
I don't think it is 250 BJ. 150 makes more sense, since the film is more on the level of the Potter films and their budgets are only at 150.

its 250m fo sho :thumbsup: cant wait :)

Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:24 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Not according to Newsweek
http://www.newsweek.com/id/72020
Newsweek is more reliable than Chud if they say its 150 its 150. This article also came out this week so it is very reliable.

Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:26 pm
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

Jedi Master Carr wrote:
Newsweek is more reliable than Chud if they say its 150 its 150. This article also came out this week so it is very reliable.

contamination :disgust:

250m fo sho :thumbsup:

Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:29 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Jedi Master Carr wrote:

Newsweek is more reliable than Chris Weitz?

Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:35 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Weitz is just the director he could have mispoke. Newsweek got their info from the horses mouth the New Line accounting office. As I said this is the same case as when Mike Newel told Dark Horizons that Goblet of Fire cost 300 milllion and David Heyman turned around and told Entertainment weekly a few months later that it cost 150.

Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:38 pm
Profile WWW
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Jedi Master Carr wrote:
Weitz is just the director he could have mispoke. Newsweek got their info from the horses mouth the New Line accounting office. As I said this is the same case as when Mike Newel told Dark Horizons that Goblet of Fire cost 300 milllion and David Heyman turned around and told Entertainment weekly a few months later that it cost 150.

I'd trust the director over an accounting office any day.

Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:44 pm
Extraordinary

Snrub wrote:
Jedi Master Carr wrote:

I'd trust the director over an accounting office any day.

So you think Mike Newel was telling the truth back in 2005?

Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:45 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Jedi Master Carr wrote:

Yeah, they have no reason to downplay the number... and we know how accurate and reliable the NL accounting office is. http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/27/busin ... movie.html

Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:57 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

lesterg wrote:
Jedi Master Carr wrote:

Yeah, they have no reason to downplay the number... and we know how accurate and reliable the NL accounting office is. http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/27/busin ... movie.html

If anything they would want to do the opposite so they could say they lost money not made more money. So I guess WB is lying about the budget for the last two Potter films.

Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:02 pm
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

Jedi Master Carr wrote:

"Today I sat down with Golden Compass director Chris Weitz and actor Sam Elliott, and they both disproved the rumors I had heard about the film's budget hitting 220 million dollars. They said it was 250 million. That's 70 million more than the 180 million New Line has been claiming, which was apparently the original budget; the cost soared in post-production. Weitz said that the biggest factor was how expensive visual effects have become. "I don't have my own effects house like Peter Jackson does!" he joked. The film is rich in CGI; every human character has a computer generated animal companion. And then there are the computer generated armored polar bears, who are also major characters. On top of that, Elliott said that there had been additional shooting as recently as a month ago (I imagine this was to fix the ending of the film. Weitz originally remained faithful to the book, which has an exceptionally dark ending. Finding that people weren't that happy with the ending - he said they were confused - he decided to clip the story short and end on a high note of victory. The ending has been shot, and he is adamant that the footage will open the second film, should one happen), and that sort of last minute work will definitely throw a wrench into your budget calculations."

At least read the article before you try and say that fucking Newsweek's brief mention supercedes the director's own words. He didn't mispeak, this isn't like Newell where the total cost was in the wrong currency.

I don't find it impossible to believe at all, considering after the first Harry Potter they had already done many of the visual effects before and only had to tune them up. Not to mention all the actors were on multiple film salaries. They probably didn't even have to rebuild many sets, that's why those films are so relatively inexpensive. There's plenty of good reasons why this could have had an enormous budget, not the least of which is Weitz himself. I think a director who has no experience with special effects who has a very long leash could easily overspend money on what a studio believes in going to be their new franchise.

Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:53 pm
Devil's Advocate

I would normally be "MMM, 250 million on screen" like BJ, but yeah, the latest trailer looked like Narnia wannabe garbage. The CGI looked kind of bad to be honest.

Only thing I have hope for is Weitz genes. I'm not sold though.

Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:15 pm
Killing With Kindness

the movie will rock hard people wait and see, wait and see :D

Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:18 pm
Profile WWW
No Wire Tampons!

I don't trust internet budgets.
That said, the last picture people were outraged by the size of the budget for without previous film franchising to support it but with very popular source material was Titanic.

Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:05 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next