Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 The Gold Rush 

What grade would you give this film?
A 83%  83%  [ 5 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

The Gold Rush 

Post The Gold Rush
The Gold Rush

Quote:
The Gold Rush is a 1925 silent film comedy written, produced, directed by, and starring Charlie Chaplin in his Little Tramp role. The film also stars Georgia Hale, Mack Swain, Tom Murray, Henry Bergman, Malcolm Waite.

Chaplin declared several times that this was the film that he most wanted to be remembered for.

Though a silent film, it received an Academy Awards nomination for Best Sound Recording (see re-release below).

Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:45 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

Post Re: The Gold Rush
City Lights is closest to my heart, but The Gold Rush is his other undisputed masterpiece. And I think this is easily the best place to start for Chaplin newcomers. It's where I started, and it's always the first I show to anyone interested in his work.

Make sure you're watching the 1925 edit, and not the uncomfortable 1942 'talkie' one, with awkward Chaplin narration.

Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:12 pm
Extraordinary

yoshue wrote:
City Lights is closest to my heart, but The Gold Rush is his other undisputed masterpiece. And I think this is easily the best place to start for Chaplin newcomers. It's where I started, and it's always the first I show to anyone interested in his work.

Make sure you're watching the 1925 edit, and not the uncomfortable 1942 'talkie' one, with awkward Chaplin narration.

I agree completely! What he said!

For funny, though, the first 30 minutes of Modern Times is my favorite, but for overall great filmmaking, City Lights takes the cake.

Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:35 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

It's a great combination of comedy and heart, even if it's a bit light on both. It also ends way too quickly, it seems like the girl just gets roped into a happy ending that she didn't want. Seems a bit presumptuous. Chaplin is terrific, though, and there are some great comic set pieces, as well as the too-cute bread roll dance, and it did make me feel for the Tramp, but the happy ending is too happy, if that's an appropriate reason to dislike something. I'll have to check out Chaplin's other work now.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Last edited by trixster on Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:45 pm
Begging Naked

I want to see this again, but this or Modern Times would be my second favorite Chaplin after his masterfully perfect City Lights. (Speaking of which, I still need to check out his post-Great Dictator work, hm...).

Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:53 pm
Profile WWW
Top Poster

1925 version: A (but nt as good as City Lihts, Modern Times, or The Kid)
1942 version: C

I'd hate it if someone's first Chaplin film was the 1942 version and be turned off from his ilms forever.

Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:56 am
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

I think The Gold Rush is almost unmatched as far as filmmaking goes, but I think this is also the one film that Chaplin never quite found the perfect ending for.

Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:28 am

A very touching silent film, and while I did watch the 1942 version on TMC, I still very much enjoyed it. Although A Dog's Life had my favorite individual sketches, this one overall is much better. Its storyline is more developed, we feel more for the characters, and it even seems more influential and iconic.

A-

Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]