Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 The Heartbreak Kid 

What grade would you give this film?
A 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
B 46%  46%  [ 6 ]
C 38%  38%  [ 5 ]
D 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 13

The Heartbreak Kid 

Post The Heartbreak Kid
The Heartbreak Kid

Quote:
The Heartbreak Kid is a 2007 romantic comedy film directed by Bobby and Peter Farrelly. Starring Ben Stiller and Malin Åkerman, The Heartbreak Kid is a remake of the 1972 film of the same name. Also starring are Michelle Monaghan, Jerry Stiller, and Carlos Mencia. The screenplay for the 2007 film was written by Leslie Dixon, Scot Armstrong, the Farrelly brothers and Kevin Barnett.

Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:57 am
Profile WWW
Team Kris

Post Re: The Heartbreak Kid
I actually saw this last Thursday at a free advance screening (care of MyCinemaAccess.com, wooo plug!) and here are my unorganized thoughts: (SPOILERS GALORE)

- I've never seen the original version so I don't know how much gross-out moments the Farelly Brothers actually put into it to comprise the whole film - awkward sex positions with Eddie (Ben Stiller) and Lyla (forgot her name, it's a European sounding one); the peeing into a jellyfish-infected wound; random hairy snatch shot, etc...

- I wanted to like the movie even more than I did: there are lots of laugh-out-loud moments, Jerry Stiller throws random one-liners and euphemisms of fucking a woman, and character of Lyla is very Cameron Diaz-esque: the actress can switch from vulnerable cutie to mentally unbalanced freak to raging psycho-bitch all at the same time. However, it feels like parts of the movie were added just because they wanted to broaden the scope of the film which probably ends up being the bane of it. For example, there were scenes mocking the Mexicans' crossing of the border (funny but totally unnecessary). Also, Michelle Mognahan's character is from the South. Her family (some are charming, some are annoying) has accents. She doesn't and they don't really explain that. Also, they didn't explain why Lyla is so damn psychotic. I was waiting for a twist on that, like she's really conning Ben Stiller or something. There are also twin teenage boys who weave in and out of the film and were just there for a convenient plot device.

- My main problem rests with Ben Stiller's character who is so indecisive and clueless for a guy his age. It's probably the writing/source material's fault. But when you think he's finally grown up and lets go of his past problems, a nifty cameo (teehee) in the very end of the film just pretty much voided the point of the film. With movies like Knocked Up and Superbad with tight characterizations and plausible resolutions, The Heartbreak Kid becomes just another gross-out comedy.

Overall, this is a very funny film with a plot that leaves a lot to be desired. I'd give it a B-.

Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:38 pm
Commander and Chef

Excellent

A-

Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:08 am
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

My review - http://www.worldofkj.com/articleIndex.php?tid=30915

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:44 pm
Profile WWW
Confessing on a Dance Floor

Delivered the goods. B+

Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:08 am
Sbil

Funny, but forgettable. Ben Stiller is his usual "clueless guy has bad things happen to him comedically" character, although Eddie comes across as a bit of a jerk at times (more the writing's fault than Stiller's). Michelle Monaghan is appealing, but her "romance" with Stiller is never believable and the two feel more like brother and sister than potential mates. Malin Akerman has by far the most fun part in the film and delivers, rather vividly recalling a young Cameron Diaz. There are several belly laughs in the film, but it does not maintain a consistent enough momentum (for instance, the laughs die whenever the movie switches to scenes with Monaghan's irritating family). Despite this, I enjoyed it for the most part. B-

Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:56 pm
Where will you be?

It had some amusing moments and Akerman was very game, but ultimately it comes very short of being the Farrelly Bros. supposed return-to-form. The last 20 minutes are almost physically painful.

Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:14 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I thought it was absolutely hilarious and very entertaining...until the final act. The end is so random and unneccessary that it almost becomes tiresome. And the final "twist" ending does nothing for the film, and actually makes Ben Stiller's character incredibly unlikable when viewed in context. Malin Akerman easily steals every scene she is in. Anyways, I'd definitely recommend it.

B/B+

Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:43 pm
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

The 40 Year Old Superbad... that's how they needed to market this neglected gem!

...ya know - - make it hip wit da kidz & all...

This is a truly funny, and funnily true movie.

Ben Stiller continues his legendary streak of great comedy films (except for Meet the Fockers, of course). I can't say I'm not surprised it didn't do well this weekend, the marketing honestly was atrocious, but I am saddened that a Farrelly brothers movie has to suffer this fate (they too, have had a solid streak (except for You, Me, and Irene, of course).

And worst of all, is the complaints I heard about no leading lady! C'mon!!! Michelle Monaghan is a terrific leading lady - - she was perfect with Ben, and has already carved out an impressive mini streak of her own.

This is really a great movie - - a great comedy - - from beginning to end - - it's magnificent.

21 out of 5.

Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:24 am
You must have big rats

When will we see a 100 out of 5 rating?

Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:44 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Dr. Lecter wrote:
When will we see a 100 out of 5 rating?

~2018...

Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:03 am
Extraordinary

For anyone still going to catch this one at the theatres (and you'd be foolish not to), be aware that there are two funny bonus scenes - - one midway through the end credits, and the other right at the very end...

;)

Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:53 am
On autopilot for the summer

I thought it was pretty funny, usually a Ben Stiller film that fails is usually pretty terrible, Duplex and Envy. But this one is not one of his best, but I thought it was much better than say Along Came Polly (that one was saved by PSH and the basketball scene was hysterical) and its probably the funniest Farrely bros film since Me Myeslf and Irene, and much like that film, I'd give it a B+

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:29 am
On autopilot for the summer

Christian wrote:
I actually saw this last Thursday at a free advance screening (care of MyCinemaAccess.com, wooo plug!) and here are my unorganized thoughts: (SPOILERS GALORE)

- I've never seen the original version so I don't know how much gross-out moments the Farelly Brothers actually put into it to comprise the whole film - awkward sex positions with Eddie (Ben Stiller) and Lyla (forgot her name, it's a European sounding one); the peeing into a jellyfish-infected wound; random hairy snatch shot, etc...

- I wanted to like the movie even more than I did: there are lots of laugh-out-loud moments, Jerry Stiller throws random one-liners and euphemisms of fucking a woman, and character of Lyla is very Cameron Diaz-esque: the actress can switch from vulnerable cutie to mentally unbalanced freak to raging psycho-bitch all at the same time. However, it feels like parts of the movie were added just because they wanted to broaden the scope of the film which probably ends up being the bane of it. For example, there were scenes mocking the Mexicans' crossing of the border (funny but totally unnecessary). Also, Michelle Mognahan's character is from the South. Her family (some are charming, some are annoying) has accents. She doesn't and they don't really explain that. Also, they didn't explain why Lyla is so damn psychotic. I was waiting for a twist on that, like she's really conning Ben Stiller or something. There are also twin teenage boys who weave in and out of the film and were just there for a convenient plot device.

- My main problem rests with Ben Stiller's character who is so indecisive and clueless for a guy his age. It's probably the writing/source material's fault. But when you think he's finally grown up and lets go of his past problems, a nifty cameo (teehee) in the very end of the film just pretty much voided the point of the film. With movies like Knocked Up and Superbad with tight characterizations and plausible resolutions, The Heartbreak Kid becomes just another gross-out comedy.

Overall, this is a very funny film with a plot that leaves a lot to be desired. I'd give it a B-.

I kind of disagree on the ending. I mean, it was a year and a half later since he escaped from Mexico and went to see her, he had to move on. He had to settle, but he loved her character

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:32 am
Cream of the Crop

If the marketing had been a bit more honest about the raunchiness of the movie, maybe I might have liked it a tad more, but I went into this movie tonight expecting some light romantic comedy and got an extremely raunchy (to the point of discomfort), horribly written movie with only a few genuinely funny laughs.

It's not a good idea to have your main character turn out to be a complete idiot in the end... A person doesn't want to connect with a character who's just plain stupid. I ended up questioning Eddie's sanity more than I did Lila's.

The only bright point of this movie was Michelle Monaghan, and because of that, I'm giving this a D-. But it's a close call.

A lot of people know how much I hated Wedding Crashers, but I think if faced with the decision of either seeing this or WC... I'd go with WC.

Grade: D-

Joy

Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:17 am
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

Predictible but extremely funny!.

B+

Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:30 pm
College Boy Z

It does the job, but not up to par with other Farelly Brothers films.

B-

Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:51 pm
Wallflower

Are you guys kidding me? I expected to find tons of bad ratings when I went into this thread. I've watched an hour of it and it SUCKS! It's so fucking unfunny and the humor is uninspired. My boss didn't like it either and said the ending is awful. I really hate to finish it yet I hate not to because I want to be able to say I watched it.

Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:08 pm
Wallflower

THE HEARTBREAK KID - 6/10 (C+)

The first hour sucked and I wasn't even going to watch the rest, but ended up deciding to finish it. Thanks to the charming Michelle Mognahan the second half improved quite a bit. But this movie should have ended a couple of minutes early as it would have been much more satisfying. A stupid ending brings this one back down again and ending on a bad note is not a good idea as it leaves a bad taste in your mouth. With movies like THE 40 YEAR-OLD VIRGIN, KNOCKED UP, and SUPERBAD (all Judd Apatow movies) successfully balancing gross-out humor and heart, this movie just comes off as yesterdays brand of humor. The Farrelly Bros. are out, and Apatow is in.

Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:30 pm
Extraordinary

Mike wrote:
My boss didn't like it either and said the ending is awful.

My boss loved it, and his boss said the ending was awesome. My CEO won't stop talking about what a classic comedy it is, and our board of directors just voted it most under-rated film of 2007. Do I even need to tell you what our head office in the Netherlands said in a recent teleconference?

Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:43 pm
You must have big rats

B-

Another disappointment by the Farrelys after Fever Pitch. I mean it tries, it tries hard to be so outrageous and sick and funny....and a lot of times it also succeeds, but not enough to overcome the long, dull parts of the movie where basically nothing happens at all. The whole ending bit could and should really really have been shortened by a bit, but also some stuff in the middle of the film just weren't funny at all.

Great props go to Malin Akerman who is definitely a hoot here and does her job terribly well, both in playing the sweet and nice part and in being an unbearable bitch. Michelle Monaghan is sweet as ever, but Stiller and she never share any kind of chemistry. Speaking of Stiller, he was really lackluster most of the time here, seemingly sleepwalking through his role.

Thankfully, there were a couple of really really great laughs here to raise this thing somewhat above average, most of all the sex scenes and the first appearance of the donkey (which really had me going "WTF?" firsat and then laughing hard in disbelief about what I just saw). 95% of the laughs are thanks to Akerman, though. Some things also didn't work at all, like the whole "Byoo" thing...So, yeah, basically this is just not the Farrellys' return to form. You can see in certain scenes that they have some of their talent left, but they are just not using it right.

Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:31 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

HEARTBREAK KID

Grade - C

I rented this not to long ago and found some parts funny but most of it not so much. I think this was a misfire on Stiller's part and he should get to work on another Fockers film. I even fell asleep watching this movie, however, I was watching it at about 0100 or 0200 in the morning.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]