Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
 Feast of Love 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Feast of Love 

Post Feast of Love
Feast of Love

Quote:
Feast of Love is a 2007 American drama film directed by Robert Benton, starring Morgan Freeman, Greg Kinnear, Radha Mitchell, Billy Burke and Selma Blair. The film, based on the 2000 novel The Feast of Love by Charles Baxter, was first released on September 28, 2007, in the United States.

Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:40 am
Profile WWW
Orphan

Post Re: Feast of Love
A profoundly sad, lovely movie about the nature of love.

Grade: A-

Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:24 pm
Forum General

I've never really been one for romance films, unless they're really done right. The two most recent romance films that I can remember loving are Brokeback Mountain and The Notebook. For some reason, I had really high expectations for Feast of Love and they were met and then exceeded. Just about every performance in this film is realistic and deserving of an Oscar. The best coming from Radha Mitchell, who was absolutely phenomenal as Diana. She also was in my favorite scene, which could definitely be another reason I loved her performance so much. Alexa Davalos plays Chloe, my favorite character in the entire film. She was absolutely heartbreaking in the role and had me in tears a few times, especially near the end. She's relatively new (she'll be seen in November's The Mist. She was also in the short lived television show "Reunion") and I hope to see a lot more from her because she was great here. Morgan Freeman was great too, which is surprising because I'm usually not the biggest fan of his. He was blessed with quite a bit comical material, which was great because whenever something funny happened, it was needed because the film was quite depressing. Greg Kinnear was great too, delivering one of the best performances of the year (like everyone else in the cast). Jane Alexander was good too, though she didn't have much screen time and I was excited every time I saw her on screen. I loved her character. Toby Hemingway was great and I hope to see more of him as well. The script was great too, it was realistic and at times extremely uncomfortable to watch because of the things unraveling on the screen. I haven't cried so much in a movie in a long time (I believe the last film was Waitress, which like this film, I connected with to a great extent). I also loved the use of sexuality and nudity. While there was quite a bit, it was never over the top and it just felt natural. I can't recommend this movie enough, it was absolutely phenomenal. This is really a movie for people in love. Everyone please do yourself a favor and check it out. You won't regret it.

9/10 (A)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:34 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Forum General

Libs, do you plan on seeing this? I could see you absolutely adoring it.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:04 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Orphan

movies35 wrote:
Libs, do you plan on seeing this? I could see you absolutely adoring it.

It was a great movie. Loved it :wub2:

Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:07 pm
Forum General

It's massively underrated. It's too bad it's falling under the radar like it is.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:34 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

I'm actually considering seeing this on the strength of the reviews in this thread, despite the stinkingly bad reviews it's getting elsewhere. If this turns bad for me, I'm coming down to the forum in person and kicking some ass. Joe and movies35 I'm just sayin' ya know...

Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:00 am
Extraordinary

Okay, okay - - you guys are off the hook - - Feast of Love (...or as I prefer to call it... March of the Humans) really was a special movie!

This is a truly profound meditation on the meaning of love in all it's guises. From hormones, to alliances, to star-crossed, to blood, to out-and-out craziness...

And get this - - they used the song from Once - - and here's the best part - - they only used it once.

There is a host of under-utilized talent on display here. Radha Mitchell - - I need to see lots more of her, not that there's not lots to see here. Stephen Trask with original music - - guy's a genius. The director, Robert Benton - - I'm not an expert on his body of work, but based on Kramer vs. Kramer, the guy knows the emotional spectrum. Morgan Freeman, Jane Alexander, Fred Ward, and God help me - - even Greg Kinnear - - all remind me of the strength of their actor's craft.

This was a really great romance movie - - not a RomCom, though there were some outright and/or bittersweet laughs - - not a fairy tale, though the odd prince and princess were on display at times - - not a typical Hollywood take on love - - Nope! This is the real deal. Unvarnished human love, warts and all.

The biological imperative overlaid upon the emotional narrative.

15 out of 5.

Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:11 am
Orphan

Success! :thumbsup: :biggrin:

Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:28 am
Extraordinary

Joe wrote:
Success! :thumbsup: :biggrin:

Who wouldn't love a movie with not one, but two characters named Bradley?

:whistle:

Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:51 am
College Boy Z

Your top ten has thirteen films, bradley!!!

:shades:

Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:31 pm
Extraordinary

Zingaling wrote:
Your top ten has thirteen films, bradley!!!

:shades:

I'm doin' my best to rein it in...

:deer:

(What a year for movies!)

Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:44 am
Where will you be?

The film gets major props for making my hometown of Portland, Oregon look so beautiful, but I have to dissaprove of every character knowing each other so intimately to make it out like Portland's some sort of small town. As for the rest of the material, I was kinda dissapointed after all the great word on here. Sure it shows off a wider spectrum of love than many Hollywood films (I'd even debate Love, Actually, though I haven't seen it in awhile so I don't want to get ripped to shreds over that one), but I'd have rather had a few more examples of non-romantic love. But beyond that, while some of the relationships were interesting, just as many felt forced and rather bland, especially that blond kid and his drunken, violent dad. Overall it was enjoyable but a bit less deep than it thinks it is.

Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:26 pm
Forum General

I'm glad you at least enjoyed it! It's miles better than In the Valley of Elah, though. ;)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:34 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Orphan

loyalfromlondon wrote:
it was so strange to see Falling Slowly (from Once, as sung here by The Frames) played over a sex scene.

But what did you think of the movie?

Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:08 pm
Orphan

loyalfromlondon wrote:
Joe wrote:
loyalfromlondon wrote:
it was so strange to see Falling Slowly (from Once, as sung here by The Frames) played over a sex scene.

But what did you think of the movie?

It's right up there with The Flood, Chain Reaction, and Dreamcatcher as pretty bad Morgan Freeman films.

:disgust: And it wasn't "The Flood." It was called Hard Rain

Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:31 pm
The Wall

8/10 -> B

A very beautiful movie... Why isn't Jane Alexander getting any award buzz - she was great and touching and with Freeman a great on-screen old couple. And everyone else was great also...

I especially liked that little mystic angle about some higher forces...

Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:22 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

I really liked Feast of Love, but it was lacking something that I can't put my finger on. It just failed to make me feel much. You see these things happening, and you should be getting involved emotionally and you don't. Even the event that happens towards the end made me think, "Aww, that's too bad," instead of really making me feel anything. I didn't shed a tear. It's a solid movie and well-made, but it's just too flawed. I wanted to love it, I really did, but instead I just really liked it.

Grade: 7/10 ( B )

Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:22 pm
now we know

I quite enjoyed this. Mostly because of Freeman. He is so cool and full of wisdom. The rest wasn't particularly great film-making, but I enjoyed it to the end. Oh, and it made me remember two songs, for which I am grateful. "Turn" by Travis, and Rufus Wainwright's "Hallelujah". The former is actually annoying if heard too often (as it was when released).

B

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:28 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]