Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 SNL 45 
New Server, Same X

Post SNL 45
Leslie Jones is out, while they've hired three new people to their featured player list. 18 total cast members, I feel like they could accomplish so much more with less. But I digress.

Meanwhile...

Quote:
Shane Gillis's addition to the cast of Saturday Night Live, a long-running NBC sketch-comedy show, as a featured player was announced on September 12, 2019, along with the additions of Bowen Yang and Chloe Fineman. The choice of Gillis became controversial later that day when freelance comedy reporter Seth Simons posted clips, since removed from YouTube, of an episode of Matt and Shane's Secret Podcast from 2018 in which Gillis makes offensive and mocking remarks about Chinese people. In other clips, podcast hosts McCusker and Gillis rank comedians by race, gender, and sexual orientation and use homophobic slurs. That night, Gillis posted a tweet saying that he was "comedian who pushes boundaries" and that "if you go through my 10 years of comedy, most of it bad, you're going to find a lot of bad misses. I'm happy to apologize to anyone who's actually offended by anything I've said."

He's a comedian who "pushes boundaries" by calling Chinese people "chinks". He also called Judd Apatow and Chris Gethard "white faggot comics" for adapting a more confessional standup style.

I'm so tired of "comedians" thinking they have a get out of jail free card because they're comedians. Being a comedian affords you the chance to add comedy to ANY subject. The one caveat, and I'll admit it's a big one, is that you have to be fucking funny. There's nothing funny about two white dudes chuckling at the hilarity of "nooders" (I guess it's how a Chinese person would say "noodles", in the stereotypical "they all pronounce the letter L as the letter R" kind of way).

The only thing worse are the cretins defending him by saying he's an edgy comedian and that people have to stop policing everyone. Nah, sorry if your shit comedy is being called out for being shit, but you need to actually be funny if you're going to be outrageously offensive.

Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:42 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Re: SNL 45
I'm a big fan of the other new guy, mainly from twitter. Haven't heard of the girl, but Natasha Lyonne posted a video of that lady doing an impression of her and it is GREAT.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:48 pm
New Server, Same X

I will say the show gave us some of the most talented new cast members with Mikey Day, Alex Moffatt and Heidi Gardner, so I'm hopeful for the same this year. I'm just not sure what guys like Pete Davidson and Kyle Mooney are going to provide. Davidson coasts on being the young guy and Mooney seems like he would flourish with his own odd brand of comedy without SNL.

Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:19 pm
Is this heaven, or is this hell?

I kind of feel the main thing he's guilty of is not being that funny. That was his explanation - that you have to do some bad comedy to be eventually good at it, and to eventually learn where to draw the boundaries, and people dug up some of his bad stuff. Nevertheless I'm sure he wouldn't be a major loss.

Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:32 pm
New Server, Same X

Shack wrote:
I kind of feel the main thing he's guilty of is not being that funny. That was his explanation - that you have to do some bad comedy to be eventually good at it, and to eventually learn where to draw the boundaries, and people dug up some of his bad stuff. Nevertheless I'm sure he wouldn't be a major loss.

100% agree, his most egregious error is just not being funny. "Nooders" and "chinks" isn't funny. Their convo, as much as they chuckle at their even-less-than-juvenile banter, isn't funny. Anything can be funny, but if you're going to be wildly offensive, at least hit hard with the joke.

And I also admit I'm sure there were podcasts that were full of good, funny comedy. But I think if even starting out (even though he's ten years deep into his career) you're going to this shocking place where you think a racial slur is going to get you laughs (and it does with a certain audience), it's not going to magically get better.

Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:20 pm
New Server, Same X

Since this is about the 45th season of SNL, I should point out that Woody Harrelson/Billie Eilish, Phoebe Waller-Bridge/Taylor Swift, and David Harbour/Camila Cabelo will be the first three hosts/musical guests. Interesting host choices. Woody will be good, but the season premiere? In 2019? I feel like no one knows who Phoebe Waller-Bridge is, even if they watch Killing Eve. I know she has the Amazon show, but I have to assume most are unfamiliar. The musical guests will be the big names of these episodes.

Kristen Stewart is hosting in November, while Eddie Murphy finally makes his true, long-awaited return to the show (SNL40 doesn't count, since he only talked like it was an awards show).

Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:22 pm
The Kramer

I was hoping Taylor would get to host.

Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:43 pm
Extraordinary

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
I was hoping Taylor would get to host.

Concur. She's the level she should host+perform.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:31 am
New Server, Same X

She'll probably end up appearing in a few sketches, especially with most people unfamiliar with Phoebe Waller-Bridge.

Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:41 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Shane Gillis is out.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]