Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Dave Chappelle's Sticks and Stones 
Is this heaven, or is this hell?

Post Dave Chappelle's Sticks and Stones
He is catching a lot of heat for his LGBTQ and trans jokes, defending MJ

I thought it was hilarious. I don't remember his other Netflix specials being this funny

And on Sept 10, Bill Burr drops his to most likely start the outrage cycle all over again

Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:02 am
Extraordinary

Post Re: Dave Chappelle's Sticks and Stones
I thought it was great, he was blasting the pc crowd all through the act, he knows they are the biggest threat to stand up comedy right now so he let them have it.

Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:57 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

:roll:

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:02 pm
Lick my balls

It's alright but the anti-PC thing could've been way more airtight (ala how Jim Jefferies took on gun control) - he just assumes there'll be enough viewers already thinking the same way. Which is why critics have dismissed it for the sake of a predictable/woke emotional response. Reading some of the reviews of his latest specials (the ones from 2017 too) is enough to make your blood boil: do progressive journalists even know what a joke is?

His earlier shows are way better from a comedy perspective, but the backlash is unequivocally fucked in the head. Do these idiots genuinely think the guy is transphobic? Are trans people in such a sensitive predicament they're suddenly exempt from all societal ridicule? What if there's truth to the sentiment that many trans groups, compared to the rest of the LGBTQ community, tend to be over-entitled? And wouldn't it actually take a lack of prejudice in order to criticise them for such a thing?

Loved the part about Louis CK. That bit, the argument was nailed. The rest he seems to find so hilarious that he ends up doing that turn-around/walk-away thing, where the joke was apparently too funny to continue, about 15 times. Plus the weightlifting bulk has made his face all expressionless and puffy - took a good half hour for signs of the old Chappelle to come through.

Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:48 am
New Server, Same X

I went into this assuming I would hate it, but I laughed. A lot. Some of it doesn't work, but a lot of it does. The turn around/walk away thing was old after he did it three or four times. 15 times doesn't feel like an exaggeration, he did it way too much.

A lot of his controversial stuff, as is the case with most stuff that takes a controversial stance, stems from two places: I know/like the person so they can't be in the wrong (Louis CK and Michael Jackson), or, I don't understand something so I'll make fun of it instead (trans people).

Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:07 pm
New Server, Same X

I watched half of Bill Burr's new standup, I'll save the rest for today. First of all, instead of doing the Chappelle turn around/walk off thing, Burr laughs at the end of almost every joke. Is this a new thing where comedians can't contain themselves at their own comedy? I like Burr's older standup a lot, I don't remember him doing that, at least not so gratuitously.

The first half of the special is, predictably, going after Me Too, feminists and overall cancel culture. This is all fodder for a good, original take from a comedian, but Burr doesn't give one at all. It's the same, tired retread of the basic counter-argument against everything. If standup comedy from respected comedians is going to devolve into "Boy, this is making my job difficult now!" then maybe you weren't that good of a comedian. Find a new take on it. Or just avoid it. But don't take the broad take on it. You'll get laughs, but they're easy laughs.

Again... big fan of Bill Burr. But I was disappointed in his predictable standup.

Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:02 am
Is this heaven, or is this hell?

I found Burr's take on MeToo and feminism tired. Apart from how he's done all this already, mainly I think deep down Burr is not really trying to offend people. He wants to keep the persona of the men-inist comedian but not jeopardize his cushy multi millions lifestyle. He even went out of his way to be anti-Louis.

I enjoyed the second half of the special more when he freed himself of his anti feminism obligations. His bits about the blow up sex dolls was really good, as was talking about watching the Elvis doc with his black wife.

Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:31 am
New Server, Same X

Agreed, the special picks up when he stops talking about MeToo and feminism. His main feminism joke is a rehash of a George Carlin joke that was equally offensive but maybe struck a little better 30 years ago when feminism was still fairly new. And true to Carlin, the whole bit wasn't meant to downplay or punch down on feminism, he admits agreeing with much of their ideas but saying they take themselves too seriously. It's dated but it worked.

I just hope standup specials aren't required to open with 20-30 minute routines on how comedy is different now. It's not. It's still the journey to the same end game: making people laugh.

Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:16 pm
Lick my balls

Mister Ecks wrote:
I went into this assuming I would hate it, but I laughed. A lot. Some of it doesn't work, but a lot of it does. The turn around/walk away thing was old after he did it three or four times. 15 times doesn't feel like an exaggeration, he did it way too much.

A lot of his controversial stuff, as is the case with most stuff that takes a controversial stance, stems from two places: I know/like the person so they can't be in the wrong (Louis CK and Michael Jackson), or, I don't understand something so I'll make fun of it instead (trans people).

The more he does it the weaker the performance seems. Had a similar take to the first paragraph: laughed out loud a couple of times and was in the chuckle zone for most of it, but by the end it all seemed sorta self-involved, and in a bad way - at the expense of better jokes. I think a comedian once said something about having to reinvent themselves every time they walked on stage, and you get a sense that Chappelle doesn't think that way; like he's already proven himself, so now presenting his act more like a philosopher than a stand-up. By the end, even though he's more animated, there's a kind of cumulative effect from all those fucking turn-arounds, and the wasted space where he's roaring with laughter at himself, like it's the first time he's ever heard the material before. The jokes needed way more bite to justify how self-congratulatory everything gets - but that one about the audience being the problem was pretty bang on.

He seemed more focused on #metoo writ large than CK in particular (more of an example to the bigger point) - he'd already brought it up in (I think) Equanimity, and in that show he did make a point of stating Louie was wrong, that the women were right, and so on - I don't think it's just a matter of their being buddies. CK's issue is way more nuanced than the rest; consent might've come with some pressure involved, but it was still given; no laws were broken, and he'd already apologised to the women personally. If that stance doesn't gel with you, then likely Chappelle will look to be defending out of bias; but maybe the "bias" is just that he's more motivated than another bystander would've been, simply because they're pals.

Curious as to how the logic/sense of Chappelle's routine comes across to people that disagree with him. He doesn't actually back the MJ defense up at all; something he seems sort of proud of: "I don't think he did it...I just don't" - working hard to improve his philosophy cred, obviously. He gets more into the legality when talking about Louie's situation, does a better job of teasing out the juxtaposition being avoided by the media so far: between Louie's simple deviance, and the social bloodshed of Weinstein and co. The more comedians defending him the better if you ask me. But yeah, the show itself isn't very well written at its best, so none of this stuff matters that much. If it had more wom spread then maybe, but DC might be getting over the hill.

Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:36 am
Extraordinary

I found this to be very funny. I didn't have a problem with any of the running back at the end of the stage laughing. That's just how he is. My only complaint was that it was too short and ended a bit abruptly.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]